Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Mobile Phone Tracking

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Whilst listening to BBC Radio Devon around lunchtime they were talking about Princess Hay shopping centre in Exeter now using mobile phones to track where customers go whilst shopping (specific shops and where abouts within those shops)

The only way to opt out of this is to turn your mobile phone off before entering. The tracking system looses contact with your device if it hasn't been moved for 6 hours and still switched on.

Invasion of privacy a step too far? or perhaps just some no nuisance market research?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

deffo invasion of privacy gone toooooooo far!!

over a year ago

Corrct me if Im wrong but if you were to turn off the GPS on the phone but leave your phone on then I dont think they can follow you

over a year ago

"Corrct me if Im wrong but if you were to turn off the GPS on the phone but leave your phone on then I dont think they can follow you"

sounds logical to me.

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

It doesn't work using GPS, it works using the phone signal. It doesn't take any personal data, just x amount of people are shopping in Primark etc.

Invasion of privacy, not really at the moment, but if it is developed further, then yes it could be.

over a year ago

Invasion of privacy?

Whether or not it records specific data on you then yes as far as I'm concerned it is

People are being tracked and that's wrong

Won't be in my life time I hope but compulsory chipping of all newborns to track them and hold data on them in a readable body implanted chip is on the way George Orwell just got the date wrong is all

over a year ago

With the right know how you can turn a phone into a listening device to listen to calls or even the area surroundihng the phone and see what the camera can see, view messages sent and received, view call lists, phone book. Not science fiction fact!!!

over a year ago

Slightly off topic cause I'm not suggesting that's what there doing.

over a year ago

"Slightly off topic cause I'm not suggesting that's what there doing. "

LOL i always unplug my webcam just in case... ive heard some horror stories

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

Shopping centers have always tracked people shopping. They did it with CCTV, which cost man hours, but now with technology progressing they can do it easier with mobile phones.

Yes, I agree it is an invasion of privacy. But compared to what goes on everyday by other means, I think a shopping center tracking my shopping habits, is small fish.

Sometimes I want to be Bart Simpson sat in a corner cowering with tin foil wrapped around my head so "they" can't get me!!!

over a year ago

"The tracking system looses contact with your device if it hasn't been moved for 6 hours and still switched on. "

This is way beyond market resarch, it's an invasion of your life, and I would say time to boycott the shopping centres that use it....

Not personalised? lets follow this then.

you walk into a shopping centre and all the camera's are on you, after 2 or 3 location changes they can put your face photo with your phone number. along with all your purchases,

Where you live is about the only place your phone is still for 6 hours so all they need is a name (card purchase) to have.

Name

Address

Photo

Phone Number

and everywhere you go on your way home!

how personalised does it have to be?

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

Surely they could do that if you are using a card for purchasing? Regardless of whether you have your mobile phone on or not.

By *exybabyMan
over a year ago

Canterbury....ish

"The tracking system looses contact with your device if it hasn't been moved for 6 hours and still switched on.

This is way beyond market resarch, it's an invasion of your life, and I would say time to boycott the shopping centres that use it....

Not personalised? lets follow this then.

you walk into a shopping centre and all the camera's are on you, after 2 or 3 location changes they can put your face photo with your phone number. along with all your purchases,

Where you live is about the only place your phone is still for 6 hours so all they need is a name (card purchase) to have.

Name

Address

Photo

Phone Number

and everywhere you go on your way home!

how personalised does it have to be? "

BIG BROTHER again!! He won't be satisfied until he knows how often you go to the toilet and whether or not it was a number one or a jobbie!!

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

It is a bit sneaky but I believe the data is anonymous.

Anybody use a reward card type thing like nectar points or similar?

Now that IS big brother, the shit they know about you but also what they can predict you will do and when from those things is utterly frightening!

over a year ago

No they couldn't, thats why the man who invented the "loyalty card" is a multi-millionaire now... the shops didn't have any way of getting your home address without that!

plus paying by card wouldn't show you walking through the streets, stopping for meets etc. on your way home....

over a year ago

Some cashback sites use this functionality, albeit as an opt in rather than an opt out system.

You go into shop, click on app to say you are there...you get cashback.

You are right ...big brother is watching, along with his sister and the rest of his family from the sounds of things lol

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

Read the traveler by John 12 hawks, paranoid but disturbing, we have already lost our privacy...governments today really do want to make windows into mens souls.

By *uckscouple2007Couple
over a year ago

Bucks

at the time of the last election it was hinted at in the press that it would be the last one with the traditional paper vote and that in future we'd see ballot stations in supermarkets, etc as loyalty cards, credit cards, etc have more info on us than even HMG

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"Slightly off topic cause I'm not suggesting that's what there doing.

LOL i always unplug my webcam just in case... ive heard some horror stories "

i've seen some lol

By *he Happy ManMan
over a year ago

Merseyside

"Invasion of privacy?

Whether or not it records specific data on you then yes as far as I'm concerned it is

People are being tracked and that's wrong

Won't be in my life time I hope but compulsory chipping of all newborns to track them and hold data on them in a readable body implanted chip is on the way George Orwell just got the date wrong is all"

There is a family in America who got implanted with chips in about 2004. The gullible fools were on the news saying well if it help keeps my family safe I am up for it. The chip constantly monitors where they are 24 hours a day.

Apprently a lot of US soldiers and Mexican police have the implants.

If you search you tube for RFID implants be prepared to get very scared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9T71XdydmE&feature=related

By *he Happy ManMan
over a year ago

Merseyside

"With the right know how you can turn a phone into a listening device to listen to calls or even the area surroundihng the phone and see what the camera can see, view messages sent and received, view call lists, phone book. Not science fiction fact!!! "

You can also still be listened to you when your mobile is switched off.

over a year ago

"With the right know how you can turn a phone into a listening device to listen to calls or even the area surroundihng the phone and see what the camera can see, view messages sent and received, view call lists, phone book. Not science fiction fact!!!

You can also still be listened to you when your mobile is switched off. "

that's it then, we are all pucked!

over a year ago

this is wrong:

sorry but you will need a app for this

( someone who knows the development of this programme)

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

I'm not sure I can post a link to the site to back this up, but if you Google the keywords F-Secure German Police Silent SMS then you'll find the details

Briefly the police in Germany have been found to be sending "silent text messages" to suspects' mobile phones, in order to track them. These text messages don't appear on your phone, and you don't even know that your phone has received one, but your phone does acknowledge the SMS and as a result then communicates with your network's nearest base station.

They sent almost half a million of these last year alone!

By *edhotminxWoman
over a year ago

Turn left at the Singing Ringing Tree

The monitoring they do at Princesshey is using Bluetooth technology. If you switch your Bluetooth off they can't track your footfall. Allegedly it's all about marketing, to make the shopping experience more enjoyable and for shopping centres to decide on what shops to have in their centres.

The signs that they have telling you about this are usually too high up and you can't read the damn things. I know that in future I'll be turning my Bluetooth off when in Exeter.

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

The solution is simple get rid of mobile, never had one and never will and the fact Ive never had one means I dont know what the big thing is but hey I dont realy care.

Post new Message to Thread