Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

How do you choose?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I was just sat here, on the sofa, on my laptop with the telly running in the backgroud, when a advert cought my attention, it was one of them give £3 a month to WSPA, followed straigh after buy a advert asking for £3 a month to the WWF not long after that there was one for £3 a month to save some tiger, only half listerning i carried on with what i was doing then the next break came on and some charity was after £5 a month for kids in a thrid world country and then it got me thinking of all the other adverts like this i have seen, donkey charitys, RSPCA, salvation army, save the children, dogs homes, £3 a month for cancer etc the list is endless

Tho i do like to give to charity, i more like to do fund raising stuff for the bigger charity events, rather than having laods of direct debits going out my bank account

But if you did decide to give to these smaller charitys how the hell do you decide who to give too? whats more important a panda or a tiger?....kids or people with cancer? its just getting mind boggling now days

Does anyone else think its all just getting a little over whelming? if its not a advert on the telly, its people knocking on your door, being stopped in town centres, ive even had phone calls, tho i think charity is a good thing i also think having it shoved down your throat and having so many people after your money is a bit off putting and making people get to the point they just shut the door on cold callers and put their heads down and pass by people collecting in the high streets

does this make us cold and uncaring or just unable to cope with it all?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

We give to the British Red Cross and that's it as far as we're concerned. We're doing our 'bit'. Anyone else who asks are told we already give and are politely declined.

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

Of course you are not uncaring,simply practical.

One way we can all help charities is with our time...which is what i do.

We also donate to a cleft palate charity, a simple operation costing less than a hundred pounds can change a childs life.

over a year ago

wonder if they have to pay the going rate to televise the ads ??

if they do, would save a fortune that could be better used elsewhere and find a cheaper way of fundraising.

just a thought

over a year ago

"wonder if they have to pay the going rate to televise the ads ??

if they do, would save a fortune that could be better used elsewhere and find a cheaper way of fundraising.

just a thought"

Thats a good though... A charity does get better rates but still pay etc..

We dont give to charity at all (Bad i know) but right now we are fighting to give to ourselves never mind a charity.

Plus... One thing that gets me about them is if you take the time to look into their policy etc you will find that only a percentage of your money actually benefits the cause itself... I agree with above, Your time is a great way to give.

over a year ago

I used to give to NSPCC just £3 a month...then after a year i got a call wanting me to up my donation to £7 a month. I said no, but could manage £5. Then a few months later got another call wanting £15 a month!!!

I called it a day then, cancelled my DD and come to the conclusion that once you give into it they just want more and more.

Unfortunately my circumstances changed anyway and charity starts at home now.

over a year ago

"wonder if they have to pay the going rate to televise the ads ??

just a thought

Thats a good though... A charity does get better rates but still pay etc..

We dont give to charity at all (Bad i know) but right now we are fighting to give to ourselves never mind a charity.

Plus... One thing that gets me about them is if you take the time to look into their policy etc you will find that only a percentage of your money actually benefits the cause itself... I agree with above, Your time is a great way to give."

When my daughter was born we sponsored a child in Ethopia. We did it for a few reasons, one being obviously to do our bit for charity. The other really was to let our daughter know exactly what sort of life a child the same age as herself was having. We used to receive news letters and cards. Also we would send personal practical gifts for Christmas and birthdays

over a year ago

I started giving to one of those charaties monthly 16 years ago when I joined my job. They say you get a starter pack and a yearly update. Guess how many I've had in the past 16 years??

It's only a few quid a month so I've just left it running

I have to admit I was going to call the one with the starving kid in the 3rd world country and donate to them to but the number had gone off by the time I found my phone

It gets me how they can justify sending us to Iraq and Afghan but not to Africa where there's hundreds dying daily through famine, civil war etc.

over a year ago

I've fundraised for the local hospice and the local children's hospice. I also give to BHF and the cancer charities. I know I can't give to them all, just keep giving to a few instead and hope it helps...

Wolf

over a year ago

And they will all want as a continuous direct debit payment and a job and a half to cancel.

Why not give some time to help, loads of youth groups need leaders, loads of charities want hands on help. There is even a website listing where you can help...

Of course some will need some sort of background check if actualy helping someone directly.

over a year ago

I give £3 per month to Amnesty International.

I like politics and have been a bit subversive in my past and am conscious that I am lucky to live in a country where I am not likely to be shot at, beaten or imprisoned for not liking (and then protesting about) the governments policies......

I don't tend to give to Oxfam and the like as I really do believe that the problems these charities try to solve will not be sorted out until the political problems in those countries are sorted out and so it's largely good money after bad....

over a year ago

"I was just sat here, on the sofa, on my laptop with the telly running in the backgroud, when a advert cought my attention, it was one of them give £3 a month to WSPA, followed straigh after buy a advert asking for £3 a month to the WWF not long after that there was one for £3 a month to save some tiger, only half listerning i carried on with what i was doing then the next break came on and some charity was after £5 a month for kids in a thrid world country and then it got me thinking of all the other adverts like this i have seen, donkey charitys, RSPCA, salvation army, save the children, dogs homes, £3 a month for cancer etc the list is endless

Tho i do like to give to charity, i more like to do fund raising stuff for the bigger charity events, rather than having laods of direct debits going out my bank account

But if you did decide to give to these smaller charitys how the hell do you decide who to give too? whats more important a panda or a tiger?....kids or people with cancer? its just getting mind boggling now days

Does anyone else think its all just getting a little over whelming? if its not a advert on the telly, its people knocking on your door, being stopped in town centres, ive even had phone calls, tho i think charity is a good thing i also think having it shoved down your throat and having so many people after your money is a bit off putting and making people get to the point they just shut the door on cold callers and put their heads down and pass by people collecting in the high streets

does this make us cold and uncaring or just unable to cope with it all?"

for less than 69 pence a day I can tell you the answers. Donations can also be made by phoning my 0898 number or you can also txt. Standard sms charges apply but please ask the bill payers permission

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

To be honest i dont do the direct debit ones, simply because theres no way im handing out my bank details to some guy who knocks on my door or a total stranger who stops me while shopping

The main one i do is tickled pink, simply because i have worked for asda for 15 years and we do a big fund raiser ever year, ive done a sponsered weight loss, bike ride, had my legs waxed by a bunch of novices etc all thro work and in aid of breast cancer, we also do fund raising events for red nose day and childred in need, pretty much the same way, and id sooner do it like that, doing your bit in two ways, by giving money and doing things to raise money

over a year ago

Not sure if your aware but giving to charity is all a con the majority you give never gets to the intended its taken by charity directors usually in form of an administration fee. Was recently reported that for every 2 pounds you give to oxfam only around 75 pence of the donation..if that.. gets to who it should get to.

over a year ago

I like politics and have been a bit subversive in my past and am conscious that I am lucky to live in a country where I am not likely to be shot at, beaten or imprisoned for not liking (and then protesting about) the governments policies......

Georgey time to wake up and smell the coffee son :s

over a year ago

I give to smaller charities where the admin costs are covered by rich benefactors (therefore 100% goes to the project). Also, it's better to set up Standing Orders instead of DDs as they are easier the cancel and the charity don't get your bank details.

And like someone else said, if you can't afford to give money, donate your time. Coach a football team or work in a charity shop.

over a year ago

the one thing that concerns me greatly with any charity is just how much of the donation thats given is then given to the persons'animals ,charity etc and how much is swallowed up by admistration costs

over a year ago

"To be honest i dont do the direct debit ones, simply because theres no way im handing out my bank details to some guy who knocks on my door or a total stranger who stops me while shopping

The main one i do is tickled pink, simply because i have worked for asda for 15 years and we do a big fund raiser ever year, ive done a sponsered weight loss, bike ride, had my legs waxed by a bunch of novices etc all thro work and in aid of breast cancer, we also do fund raising events for red nose day and childred in need, pretty much the same way, and id sooner do it like that, doing your bit in two ways, by giving money and doing things to raise money"

Sounds like you do more than your share

over a year ago

"

does this make us cold and uncaring or just unable to cope with it all?"

i give to the charities that mean something to me and at times been here to support me and my family (like advice)

I support MacMillan nurses

cancer research

heart foundation

help for heroes and British legion

this is for reasons above. i dont give much but id like to help where can

over a year ago

"I like politics and have been a bit subversive in my past and am conscious that I am lucky to live in a country where I am not likely to be shot at, beaten or imprisoned for not liking (and then protesting about) the governments policies......

Georgey time to wake up and smell the coffee son :s"

No m8, have the number of a good brief (or at least the people I was protesting did.....) but bad behavior by the security forces is the the exception rather than the rule.

We don't live in Syria, Iran or Burma......Just remember how lucky we are in this country.

By *ixson-BallsMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

the two things I can't stand in this world are cruelty to children and cruelty to animals, in my mind they are the most vunerable, easily picked on and abuse...

so thats where my contributions go to...

it bothers me that maybe not all of my charitable donations filters down to where its needed, but I think at least they're receiving something and its better then nothing

over a year ago

As an adult i haven't done any fund raising, but when i was a young teenager i raised several thousand for Marie Curie and various other activities as part of the Air Training Corps.

I dont donate via direct debit but do quite often pass into Cancer Research a bin bag full of clothes or other bits & bobs.. oh and at till's im forever bunging in the odd 20p change.

By *evilwolfCouple
over a year ago

Leicestershire

I don't donate as such to charities, as I believe charity begins at home, and right now the UK needs as much charity as it can get, we have poor, needy and suffering children, OAP's and animals as much as any other Country in the world, but I do buy from the various charity shops, especially the one's that have helped my family in the past, like the macmillan charity and the local hospice, and I also give back to them too, when I downsized from a great big 3bed house to a relatively small 2 bed flat, most of the contents went to charity, which I believe is far more beneficial than having loads of DD's.

Devil

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Noone could give to all charities. I give to two that are close to me, but i take my clothes ect down to the charity shops. I used to do a lot of voluntery work for the prisons when i was younger

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I only give to 'Help for Heroes', in the main because of their tiny admin charge to donations and the real and transparent good they do with monies raised.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"I used to give to NSPCC just £3 a month...then after a year i got a call wanting me to up my donation to £7 a month. I said no, but could manage £5. Then a few months later got another call wanting £15 a month!!!

I called it a day then, cancelled my DD and come to the conclusion that once you give into it they just want more and more.

Unfortunately my circumstances changed anyway and charity starts at home now. "

That is interesting as the same happened to me. I was quite happy to support them with a fiver per month and I had numerous calls (and expensive glossy magazines) which prompted me to write to them cancelling my support altogether. Lets hope they get the message.

over a year ago

"I used to give to NSPCC just £3 a month...then after a year i got a call wanting me to up my donation to £7 a month. I said no, but could manage £5. Then a few months later got another call wanting £15 a month!!!

Unfortunately my circumstances changed anyway and charity starts at home now. That is interesting as the same happened to me. I was quite happy to support them with a fiver per month and I had numerous calls (and expensive glossy magazines) which prompted me to write to them cancelling my support altogether. Lets hope they get the message."

Why stop? Why not just give what you can and increase when you can?

I understand the annoyance but that's the fundraising and marketing team making those calls, not the services you want to aid.

Speaking of services, What do NSPCC do? You might think it's a silly question but people tend to give because "they've heard of that one."

over a year ago

"I give to smaller charities where the admin costs are covered by rich benefactors (therefore 100% goes to the project). Also, it's better to set up Standing Orders instead of DDs as they are easier the cancel and the charity don't get your bank details.

And like someone else said, if you can't afford to give money, donate your time. Coach a football team or work in a charity shop. "

over a year ago

I guess folk who give to charity for the most part choose one or more that's close to their hearts.

Lots of folk supporting cancer research as most of us have lost a loved one to the big C in our lifetimes.

Now I know a lot of folks think charity should begin at home which I agree with to a certain extent but believe more that charity should go where it's needed most,wherever that may be at the time.

My mum has been sponsoring a young African girl for a couple of years now which I think is great as unlike here,they don't have the benefit of a social welfare system and lots of other seemingly small necessities that we take for granted over here,clean drinking water and suchlike.

Just my own opinion,but I'll stick by it.

By *4FantasyCouple
over a year ago

Spalding

I support the RSPCA as I love animals and don't have any kids of my own. I rescued my little furbaby from BlueCross last year and she has been living the life of riley ever since

I also support the British Legion.

Kazxx

over a year ago

"We give to the British Red Cross and that's it as far as we're concerned. We're doing our 'bit'. Anyone else who asks are told we already give and are politely declined."

Likewise but sponsor a child as this is an ongoing thing and is a good way to help with conintuity. I just explain to others that I am unable to undertake more funding.

It is a little overwhelming sometimes though. If you do give to a charity, make sure they know you do not want to have approaches from associated charities.

By *he Happy ManMan
over a year ago

Merseyside

I done one of them adopt a tiger once. I am still waiting for it to arrive.

By *ornyHorwichCpl aka HHCCouple
over a year ago

horwich

I don't support any particular one. I will contribute to the fund raisers at work and in my social life.

I did a 50 mile hike in the summer to raise money for a childrens charity.

I don't give to anyone who approaches me in the street or the pub. I give when I want to give not because someone is shaming me into it.

I also support the local charity shops both in buying and giving.

Rhett and I decided we didn't want anything for Xmas so instead set a limit and had to buy random stuff from the charity shops. It was a good laugh on Xmas morning and we took them back to other charity shops for it to be recylced again

Scarlett xx

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

We do support charities main one is help for heroes.

Before giving find out how much actualy goes to the charity as a lot are no more than businesses with sometimes less than 10% actualy going to help the good cause.

over a year ago

"I support the RSPCA as I love animals and don't have any kids of my own. I rescued my little furbaby from BlueCross last year and she has been living the life of riley ever since

I also support the British Legion.

Kazxx"

Same here. Animals and war veterans/army support for me.

Post new Message to Thread