Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Social decline of ethical standards

Jump to newest

By *tella Heels OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

I grew up in the 60’ &70’s

Yes there were a few areas where there were some issues, but now acid attacks, stabbing, shootings, moped crimes, drugs and car theft are becoming the norm, we choose to ignore these issues as common place..

But really is this acceptable behaviour?

Isn’t it about time something was done to bring back basic morals and decency in our society?

I’m fed up of hearing issues like this everyday!

21st century normality !!!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iss Leanne BTV/TS
over a year ago

Manchester

I completely agree with your comments Stella. The question is what do we do about it?

Leanne xxx

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

If you read about the fall of the Roman empire there are many similarities to the decline of civilisation today. It's just history slowly repeating itself.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I completely agree with your comments Stella. The question is what do we do about it?

Leanne xxx"

Change the government.

over a year ago

I'd say it's more kids having kids and both have no moral or know I g right from wrong.

If I want it...why should I be a mug and work for it?

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Freedom for tooting !

By *astie10Man
over a year ago

Guildford

bring back the clip around the ear from loacl bobby and hang them high

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

[Removed by poster at 04/12/18 18:57:59]

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Freedom for tooting !"

You can't beat a too old toot

By *iss Leanne BTV/TS
over a year ago

Manchester

"bring back the clip around the ear from loacl bobby and hang them high "

Agreed xx

over a year ago

west here ford shire

I would love to say the problem is ...

and we can resolve it by...

But this is a social issue where the unemployed has become generational issue of people who know nothing different except to scrounge and thieve off normal society, some of you will not agree, but this is the harsh reality of a scrounging state we have created..

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

Lack of discipline is the problem!

over a year ago

most bobbies look about 16yrs old so that ain't gonna work plus some don't just stop at a clip round the ear these days

over a year ago

west here ford shire

"bring back the clip around the ear from loacl bobby and hang them high

Agreed xx"

We’re not allowed to do this due to the nanny state, it’s pathetic

over a year ago

"I grew up in the 60’ &70’s

Yes there were a few areas where there were some issues, but now acid attacks, stabbing, shootings, moped crimes, drugs and car theft are becoming the norm, we choose to ignore these issues as common place..

Isn’t it about time something was done to bring back basic morals and decency in our society?

21st century normality !!!"

It’s because nobody’s allowed to tell kids off anymore let alone give them a clip on the ear. Everyone takes offence at the slightest thing and if a teacher looks at a kid the wrong way they could probably sue. This country has turned into a joke. I was always one of those people who’d never leave this country. Can’t bloody wait to move to Spain now.

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

There have always been gangs, always been stabbings, always been drugs. Just now there is also 24 hour media, so we hear about it quicker and more in your face.

Each generation will remember their youth fondly.

By *osweet69Couple
over a year ago

portsmouth

All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

over a year ago

"I would love to say the problem is ...

But this is a social issue where the unemployed has become generational issue of people who know nothing different except to scrounge and thieve off normal society, some of you will not agree, but this is the harsh reality of a scrounging state we have created..

"

Totally disagree. And find that a rather repulsive attitude, personally.

over a year ago

"Lack of discipline is the problem!"

Damn right it is

By *astie10Man
over a year ago

Guildford

24hr news has done its part a bit but dont blame it on scrounging or poverty i grow up in the wealfair system and i still no respect and not the respect kids spout about on the streets

over a year ago

Nothing to do with 24 hour news. The youth know nobody can do anything these days. My kids are disciplined but they still sometimes speak to me in a way I wouldn’t have dared speak to my parents.

By *astie10Man
over a year ago

Guildford

only had oldest son try that sod the law i thumped him and sent him to his room @17 he still whent lol

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

"Lack of discipline is the problem!

Damn right it is "

And lack of Father figures in some cases.

over a year ago

Damn right it is And lack of Father figures in some cases."

Not sure about that. I’m stricter than their dad lol. They can wrap him around their little finger!

By *astie10Man
over a year ago

Guildford

cant take that i had no father fig in the house mum was a widow with 5 kids lol

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

Damn right it is And lack of Father figures in some cases.

Not sure about that. I’m stricter than their dad lol. They can wrap him around their little finger! "

The 1's who don't have dads or see them often I mean.

By *VineMan
over a year ago

The right place

"I completely agree with your comments Stella. The question is what do we do about it?

Leanne xxx

Change the government."

Yes, we need a politics of kindness.

I can’t see many options to vote for it though.

By *astie10Man
over a year ago

Guildford

whats that about ??????

over a year ago

Damn right it is And lack of Father figures in some cases.

Not sure about that. I’m stricter than their dad lol. They can wrap him around their little finger! The 1's who don't have dads or see them often I mean."

Yes I do agree but I also know that sometimes that can’t be helped due to all sorts of different circumstances.

By *astie10Man
over a year ago

Guildford

i blame some of the school teaching all about there right .....there right what about our rights

over a year ago

"i blame some of the school teaching all about there right .....there right what about our rights "

What do you mean? I did 10 years in a school and the teachers have no rights anymore! The pupils seem to rule the roost. I couldn’t do it anymore. I’d have ended up behind bars!

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

- Socrates (469–399 B.C.)

By *lceeWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

Erm...reality check here. Crime is increasing, violent crime marginally so, however per capita of the population it remains quite steady. Even the recent increase over the last three years has been put down to a drive within police forces to better record crime by the Office of National Statistics.

What we have today is a 24hr media that needs to fill every minute so there’s more focus on the bad stuff as well as the big stuff. When there was only an update three or four times a day, only the really big geo-political stuff got reported, along with some of the more sensational crimes. Now, every time someone so much as stubs their toe, there seems to be a vox pop with their neighbour.

This is what I really worry about, because this is how you give up personal freedoms...by starting to believe that you are less safe and secure than you were

By *astie10Man
over a year ago

Guildford

[Removed by poster at 04/12/18 19:28:54]

By *astie10Man
over a year ago

Guildford

the wet libs in the school i was parent govner at told the kids there rights extra lesson

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

Leanne xxx

Change the government."

The worst of it , by far , is in London .

A London led by a Labour mayor .

And it really only became this bad when he took over from a conservative mayor .

So you may want to rethink that answer

By *xplorer13Man
over a year ago

glenrothes

Leanne xxx

Change the government."

Why would that help? The Labour are saying don't knock criminals on motorbikes off ffs so who would stop this behaviour?

By *xplorer13Man
over a year ago

glenrothes

Bring back National service

By *astie10Man
over a year ago

Guildford

national service will not help but borstels may and weekend detenion camps may help

over a year ago

"Erm...reality check here. Crime is increasing, violent crime marginally so, however per capita of the population it remains quite steady. Even the recent increase over the last three years has been put down to a drive within police forces to better record crime by the Office of National Statistics.

What we have today is a 24hr media that needs to fill every minute so there’s more focus on the bad stuff as well as the big stuff. When there was only an update three or four times a day, only the really big geo-political stuff got reported, along with some of the more sensational crimes. Now, every time someone so much as stubs their toe, there seems to be a vox pop with their neighbour.

This is what I really worry about, because this is how you give up personal freedoms...by starting to believe that you are less safe and secure than you were"

over a year ago

Everybody is full of rights but lacking in responsibility.

These days nobody takes responsibility for their actions. If someone does something wrong they find someone or something to blame. Whether it’s upbringing, poverty, mental illness or anything but the perpetrators fault. And society generally colludes with this rather than turn round to a wrongdoer and tell them they’re a scrote.

over a year ago

Leanne xxx

Change the government.

And it really only became this bad when he took over from a conservative mayor .

So you may want to rethink that answer "

Nope, I wholeheartedly disagree.

over a year ago

I think there's just more media coverage.

Crime has been around since ape became man.

They just didn't have Wi-Fi.

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

"Bring back National service "

No thanks, us professional soldiers don't want to have to play father to a bunch of badly disciplined scrotes who don't want to be there

By *hocolateBrownMan
over a year ago

wilt

i fel its the breakdown of family values thats key.

think how many of you were scared of your parents and what they might approve off. These days its the other way around. you are supposed to support your kid and respect their views irrespective of age.

even a pre-school teacher is scared of what the kid might say or "feel"

over a year ago

"I think there's just more media coverage.

Crime has been around since ape became man.

They just didn't have Wi-Fi."

agreed was it really better in the 70 & 80 when people were travelling up and down the country smashing up town centers following football or the industrial unrest and police stop and search and city riots

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

Leanne xxx

Change the government.

Nope, I wholeheartedly disagree."

Ok , Rotherham , and the grooming - Labour again .

Their leftie snowflake attitude of not wanting to upset anyone leads to a lawless society .

The most emphatic thing the London mayor did was spend a load of money on a blimp of Trump so we could pour scorn on him when he visited .

He also rallied as many as he could to march in protestation at his visit . What a great example that sets

By *orny IrishMan
over a year ago

Rural Wiltshire

"i blame some of the school teaching all about there right .....there right what about our rights "

The schools are hamstringed they have to cover the curriculum if they don't Ofsted complain or parents complain. The day teachers had the support of parents is dying out. Too many parents think their child is all sweetness and light.

over a year ago

Leanne xxx

Change the government.

Their leftie snowflake attitude of not wanting to upset anyone leads to a lawless society .

The most emphatic thing the London mayor did was spend a load of money on a blimp of Trump so we could pour scorn on him when he visited .

He also rallied as many as he could to march in protestation at his visit . What a great example that sets "

I don’t accept the premise of your points, sorry.

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

Leanne xxx

Change the government.

He also rallied as many as he could to march in protestation at his visit . What a great example that sets

"

Cool , it doesn’t matter .

But to just say ‘ change the government ‘ with no reasoning is weak .

I’ve said the worst areas are Labour run now , so why would changing the government make any difference ?

But as I say , not to worry

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"If you read about the fall of the Roman empire there are many similarities to the decline of civilisation today. It's just history slowly repeating itself."

I don’t agree. To some extent, the Roman Empire didn’t end in the East until 1453. It also ‘declined’ - although I prefer the term ‘changed’ through a series of external factors such as tribal attacks, lack of money and resources etc. Crime and antisocial behaviour wasn’t a factor.

over a year ago

Leanne xxx

Change the government.

I’ve said the worst areas are Labour run now , so why would changing the government make any difference ?

But as I say , not to worry "

It said everything I wanted to say.

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

Leanne xxx

Change the government.

It said everything I wanted to say. "

Its ok Miss-Estella-toe, Someone from Gloucester is obviously going to know more about London life than those of us who are Londoners...

By *agermeisterMan
over a year ago

Leeds

This topic has exactly the arc I expected.

But please, carry on.

over a year ago

Leanne xxx

Change the government.

Its ok Miss-Estella-toe, Someone from Gloucester is obviously going to know more about London life than those of us who are Londoners... "

So only those who live in London can comment on it? What about those who work there?

Or were you merely trying to score brownie points?

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

Leanne xxx

Change the government.

Its ok Miss-Estella-toe, Someone from Gloucester is obviously going to know more about London life than those of us who are Londoners...

So only those who live in London can comment on it? What about those who work there?

Or were you merely trying to score brownie points?"

You're welcome to comment on whatever you like, it is more than a little perplexing when people who don't live here tell `us` how it is, especially when those statements reflect nothing I`ve experienced in a lifetime of living here..

over a year ago

It starts at a very early age. If kids aren't taught respect and right from wrong they are already sly little shits and bruisers with no manners by the age of 5. Couple this with the inability of schools to hand out discipline and they grow up into a generation with no restraints. I have seen it with my generation (80's childhood) and my very much younger siblings and now my child.

It doesn't help that we have a corrupt govt as a national role model for society.

over a year ago

It's easy to get drawn into emotive headlines and doom and gloom.

Personally I think a lot of the youth of today get a raw deal, with many of them being great ambassadors in sport, diversity and goid all rounders!

Anti-social behaviour has been around for a long time, and maybe increasing populations make it seem more prevalent?

Let's not forget that years ago the Kray twins were running around murdering people, whilst others referred to them as goid old fashioned boys with a code of honour!

Get involved and make the change or stop whining?

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

" It's easy to get drawn into emotive headlines and doom and gloom.

Personally I think a lot of the youth of today get a raw deal, with many of them being great ambassadors in sport, diversity and goid all rounders!

Anti-social behaviour has been around for a long time, and maybe increasing populations make it seem more prevalent?

Let's not forget that years ago the Kray twins were running around murdering people, whilst others referred to them as goid old fashioned boys with a code of honour!

Get involved and make the change or stop whining? "

By *omethingoranotherMan
over a year ago

near you

Surprised no one had mentioned social media. A lot of kids and young adults see everyone with their “perfect” lives on facebook feeds and want everything that others appear to have.

This coupled with celebrity and hip hop culture where it’s deemed ok to not work hard for what you get in life and focus on either becoming the next big pop artist on x factor or drug dealer surrounded by women in skimpy outfits and driving sports cars and normalising violence leads impressionable or vulnerable young kids into a bad lifestyle or feeling depressed at what they think everyone else has but don’t.

over a year ago

we had a group of teenagers hanging around the shop eyeing up the motorbikes and casually walking on to the premises like they owned it.

from first look it looked like they were up to no good looking through windows, showing off on scooters etc.

but after more started appearing at different times and the guys were getting buzzed by the cctv while at home i decided i would wait around one night and see for myself.

so i waited, then you heard the whining scooters turning up and on the camera i could see 2 of them climbing over the fencing.

i came out, non threatening with the patrol dog and just asked if i could help them,

and it was simple, they just wanted to see the bikes.

so i offered them both a part time job, told them come back on saturday and you see me.

now they empty the bins, learning how to shape metals and cut materials and they have told there mates to leave the place alone as they work there on saturday mornings.

even the parents have been down and said thanks for giving them something to do.

and this is part of the problem. they are bored, without hope and think no one will give them a fair go.

bad elements in all of us not just the young.

over a year ago

What is missing? - Corporal and capital punishment, Bobbies on the beat, national service, teachers enabled to discipline children, proper school uniforms, short sharp shock.

The list is endless but I’ll put those few examples out there.

over a year ago

You are right, no violent crime in London back in the 60's. The Kray's would never have allowed it

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

"we had a group of teenagers hanging around the shop eyeing up the motorbikes and casually walking on to the premises like they owned it.

from first look it looked like they were up to no good looking through windows, showing off on scooters etc.

but after more started appearing at different times and the guys were getting buzzed by the cctv while at home i decided i would wait around one night and see for myself.

so i waited, then you heard the whining scooters turning up and on the camera i could see 2 of them climbing over the fencing.

i came out, non threatening with the patrol dog and just asked if i could help them,

so i offered them both a part time job, told them come back on saturday and you see me.

now they empty the bins, learning how to shape metals and cut materials and they have told there mates to leave the place alone as they work there on saturday mornings.

even the parents have been down and said thanks for giving them something to do.

and this is part of the problem. they are bored, without hope and think no one will give them a fair go.

bad elements in all of us not just the young."

Idle hands make mischief, give them things to do that`ll make them feel like they're achieving something, & most of the time they`ll soon get into it. Sometimes their friends will get into it as well.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I think the end came when people were allowed to wear trousers and not togas in the Forum

By *educedWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

It's always society's fault.

But who is society?

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"It's always society's fault.

But who is society? "

other people and everyone else

By *educedWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

But who is society? other people and everyone else "

But never ours eh?

over a year ago

You'd have to bring back local bobbies first and that's not happening anytime soon..

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

But who is society? other people and everyone else

But never ours eh? "

Corse not

over a year ago

"we had a group of teenagers hanging around the shop eyeing up the motorbikes and casually walking on to the premises like they owned it.

bad elements in all of us not just the young.

Idle hands make mischief, give them things to do that`ll make them feel like they're achieving something, & most of the time they`ll soon get into it. Sometimes their friends will get into it as well. "

if they do well i can get them apprenticeships with harley davidson as i use to work with them so a career is there for them.

its up to them

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

Leanne xxx

Change the government.

Or were you merely trying to score brownie points?

You're welcome to comment on whatever you like, it is more than a little perplexing when people who don't live here tell `us` how it is, especially when those statements reflect nothing I`ve experienced in a lifetime of living here.. "

So it may perplex you even more to know that I was born in Battersea , raised there and lived in London until I was a teenager .

I have never lived in Rotherham so maybe I shouldn’t comment on there either .

And you’ve never experienced knife crime escalating to its current level in London ?

Mmm.... something doesn’t add up does it ?

Hey ho

over a year ago

Britain is a great place to live if you're a criminal. We're very popular around the World

By *educedWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

We only get to hear about the horrible stuff.

Once maybe twice a year we are shown the wonderful and kind stuff people do for each other every day (Pride of Britain et al) but we are shown the horrible stuff daily.

I'm not saying that things aren't bad but jeez there are worse places to live and worse times to have lived through.

We just need to stop and think about it.

over a year ago

Extinction Level Event! Say no more. Merry Christmas All

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

"So it may perplex you even more to know that I was born in Battersea , raised there and lived in London until I was a teenager .

And you’ve never experienced knife crime escalating to its current level in London ?

Hey ho "

Knife rimes only escalating in London is it?

I constantly see people with no ties whatsoever slating London & Sadiq on a daily basis on twatter, yet, amazingly, in 4 & 1/2 decades I`ve never been stabbed, robbed, had my phone snatched, been burgled, or sexually assaulted, or suffered anything else that is, apparently an epidemic in London.. Neither has my family (including my teenage boys), close or extended, & neither, as far as I can recall right now, have any of my friends, other than 1 being bottled about 15 years ago in a pub, so, you are correct, something really isn't adding up..

I`m not denying some forms of crime are increasing, obviously cities will suffer more than villages, but from personal experience, the stuff peddled in the media about London is greatly exaggerated.

Take from that what you will.

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

"So it may perplex you even more to know that I was born in Battersea , raised there and lived in London until I was a teenager .

Hey ho

I constantly see people with no ties whatsoever slating London & Sadiq on a daily basis on twatter, yet, amazingly, in 4 & 1/2 decades I`ve never been stabbed, robbed, had my phone snatched, been burgled, or sexually assaulted, or suffered anything else that is, apparently an epidemic in London.. Neither has my family (including my teenage boys), close or extended, & neither, as far as I can recall right now, have any of my friends, other than 1 being bottled about 15 years ago in a pub, so, you are correct, something really isn't adding up..

I`m not denying some forms of crime are increasing, obviously cities will suffer more than villages, but from personal experience, the stuff peddled in the media about London is greatly exaggerated.

Take from that what you will."

I take from that one simple thing . That you are defending the city you grew up in , the city you have lived in all your life , and that’s admirable .

Unfortunately the fact is that we only get the facts as they are portrayed by the media , and that’s kind of what the thread is about .

If you look at the facts as represented by the media m they don’t make good reading though do they ?

over a year ago

west here ford shire

Hey ho

Take from that what you will."

I have a nephew who is a qualified lawyer living and working in London, 3 months ago was robbed by knifepoint

Whilst nothing may have happened to you, does not mean it isn’t happening around you, it’s easy to ignore things I know I used to walk to work sometimes and ignore the homeless or the druggies walking the street while pissing themselves, so whilst you make your point you are not speaking for the millions of other Londoners!!

over a year ago

I think the lack of compassion for others is an issue, but Frameworks did some great research on the fact that compassion won’t stir right wing thinkers. Funny that.

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

Hey ho

I take from that one simple thing . That you are defending the city you grew up in , the city you have lived in all your life , and that’s admirable .

Unfortunately the fact is that we only get the facts as they are portrayed by the media , and that’s kind of what the thread is about .

If you look at the facts as represented by the media m they don’t make good reading though do they ? "

No, crime never looks good in the media, especially when some sections of the media, & other alarmist sources, blow it out of all proportion.

Britain's become very London-centric, I don't agree with that for numerous reasons, & the news has also swung the same way. The truth is, per capita, London isn't any less safe than any other British city, & my experiences reflect that.

As for Sadiq, he inherited his position as numerous Tory cuts to UK services were starting to really bite, the cuts to policing & social services has had a catastrophic effect on crime throughout the UK, as has been cited by various police chiefs, but Sadiq is still getting the blame, mainly because he`s Labour & because he's a Muslim. Boris/Zac Goldsmith REALLY dodged a bullet there, there's no anyone would have done any better regarding crime with the various cuts that have been implemented.

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

"I think the lack of compassion for others is an issue, but Frameworks did some great research on the fact that compassion won’t stir right wing thinkers. Funny that. "

Ooohhh... you’re on one tonight

over a year ago

"I think the lack of compassion for others is an issue, but Frameworks did some great research on the fact that compassion won’t stir right wing thinkers. Funny that.

Ooohhh... you’re on one tonight "

Just nullifying the vapid Tory claptrap that keeps getting posted.

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

Hey ho

If you look at the facts as represented by the media m they don’t make good reading though do they ?

No, crime never looks good in the media, especially when some sections of the media, & other alarmist sources, blow it out of all proportion.

Britain's become very London-centric, I don't agree with that for numerous reasons, & the news has also swung the same way. The truth is, per capita, London isn't any less safe than any other British city, & my experiences reflect that.

As for Sadiq, he inherited his position as numerous Tory cuts to UK services were starting to really bite, the cuts to policing & social services has had a catastrophic effect on crime throughout the UK, as has been cited by various police chiefs, but Sadiq is still getting the blame, mainly because he`s Labour & because he's a Muslim. Boris/Zac Goldsmith REALLY dodged a bullet there, there's no anyone would have done any better regarding crime with the various cuts that have been implemented."

I’m not going to argue with that at all .

We get told we don’t need so many police as there are so many cctv cameras watching our every move . The problem is that 80% of crimes go unpunished , from shoplifting and burglary to sexual assault and violent attacks .

And we wonder why the statistics show higher numbers of crimes committed everywhere .

By *ANDA2Couple
over a year ago

Henley Arden

"

Pretty obnoxious statement that’s totally inaccurate.

As there’s currently only a 4% unemployment rate how does your statement account for the other 96%?

Or are you wanting I’ll people who can’t work thrown into the workhouse like Victorian times ?

By *ired_upMan
over a year ago

ashton

I would there were no age between sixteen and

three-and-twenty, or that youth would sleep out the

rest; for there is nothing in the between but

getting wenches with child, wronging the ancientry,

stealing, fighting—Hark you now! Would any but

these boiled brains of nineteen and two-and-twenty

hunt this weather? They have scared away two of my

best sheep, which I fear the wolf will sooner find

than the master: if any where I have them, ’tis by

the seaside, browsing of ivy.

A winter's tale. 1611

Crime is far lower than any time since it has been recorded. There has been an uptick in violent crime but only after a prolonged fall..

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

"in 4 & 1/2 decades I`ve never been stabbed, robbed, had my phone snatched, been burgled, or sexually assaulted, or suffered anything else that is, apparently an epidemic in London.. Neither has my family (including my teenage boys), close or extended, & neither, as far as I can recall right now, have any of my friends, other than 1 being bottled about 15 years ago in a pub, so, you are correct, something really isn't adding up..

I have a nephew who is a qualified lawyer living and working in London, 3 months ago was robbed by knifepoint

Whilst nothing may have happened to you, does not mean it isn’t happening around you, it’s easy to ignore things I know I used to walk to work sometimes and ignore the homeless or the druggies walking the street while pissing themselves, so whilst you make your point you are not speaking for the millions of other Londoners!!"

I know I'm speaking from my perspective, I appreciate I don't represent the whole of London, but don't you think if there was an "epidemic", which is how its been pedaled, I`d have had SOMEONE I know suffering the results of it directly? Family, friends, colleagues, I dunno, at least 150 people, & yet none have suffered this unstoppable crimewave?

I drive all over London on a daily basis & I`ve never seen a knife or gun attack being carried out, & I`m not in some gated community either..

As I say, things are being blown out of proportion. I worry, especially for my boys, obviously, but I know London isn't the lawless wild west that its portrayed to be in the media.

As for the homeless & the druggies, that's also not unusual for a big city, I`d say some cities, proportionately, have worse drug problems than London, but I have no statistics.

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

" I take from that one simple thing . That you are defending the city you grew up in , the city you have lived in all your life , and that’s admirable .

As for Sadiq, he inherited his position as numerous Tory cuts to UK services were starting to really bite, the cuts to policing & social services has had a catastrophic effect on crime throughout the UK, as has been cited by various police chiefs, but Sadiq is still getting the blame, mainly because he`s Labour & because he's a Muslim. Boris/Zac Goldsmith REALLY dodged a bullet there, there's no anyone would have done any better regarding crime with the various cuts that have been implemented.

I’m not going to argue with that at all .

We get told we don’t need so many police as there are so many cctv cameras watching our every move . The problem is that 80% of crimes go unpunished , from shoplifting and burglary to sexual assault and violent attacks .

And we wonder why the statistics show higher numbers of crimes committed everywhere . "

The problem is, cameras are easily defeated by a hoodie & a cap, & if there's no force on the streets to get to the problems, then the CCTV is worthless..

Five years ago, there were four 24 hour police stations within 5 miles of me. Now, after 10pm, my nearest 24 hour police station is 11 miles away.. If there's no available police in the area, cars & police have to be sent from there, by the time they get here, the criminals are long gone. The criminals know this.. This is why various crimes are rising.

The same applies throughout the UK. Local police stations closed or part time all over the country. some places are 30+ miles away from a 24 hour police stations (which are also understaffed).. Street lights being turned off to lower the councils electricity bills. Its a recipe for disaster..

over a year ago

west here ford shire

"in 4 & 1/2 decades I`ve never been stabbed, robbed, had my phone snatched, been burgled, or sexually assaulted, or suffered anything else that is, apparently an epidemic in London.. Neither has my family (including my teenage boys), close or extended, & neither, as far as I can recall right now, have any of my friends, other than 1 being bottled about 15 years ago in a pub, so, you are correct, something really isn't adding up..

Whilst nothing may have happened to you, does not mean it isn’t happening around you, it’s easy to ignore things I know I used to walk to work sometimes and ignore the homeless or the druggies walking the street while pissing themselves, so whilst you make your point you are not speaking for the millions of other Londoners!!

I know I'm speaking from my perspective, I appreciate I don't represent the whole of London, but don't you think if there was an "epidemic", which is how its been pedaled, I`d have had SOMEONE I know suffering the results of it directly? Family, friends, colleagues, I dunno, at least 150 people, & yet none have suffered this unstoppable crimewave?

I drive all over London on a daily basis & I`ve never seen a knife or gun attack being carried out, & I`m not in some gated community either..

As I say, things are being blown out of proportion. I worry, especially for my boys, obviously, but I know London isn't the lawless wild west that its portrayed to be in the media.

As for the homeless & the druggies, that's also not unusual for a big city, I`d say some cities, proportionately, have worse drug problems than London, but I have no statistics."

Lol sorry hope you didn’t take my comments personally, but when I lived and worked in London, it was always the case don’t drive around Hackney Leytonstone without windows up and doors locked, funny even now 20 yrs later I didn’t have to worry about that in Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool

Sorry but my original point here is that society in general is worse the country has lost its ethical standards and that’s true..

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Good news doesn't sell papers does it!

I'm not saying that there isn't a problem but the sensationalist headlines like "Broken Britain" only feed the public thought that something terrible is wrong.

There are things wrong but they need to be dealt with at the root, huge levels of poverty will of course lead to theft, malaise lead to violent crime. Let's look to solving them rather than blaming the kids!

Also as it's been pointed out and as I mentioned ^^ we live in a 24 hour news culture, bad news sells and even small crime statistics are given huge airtime, the more selatious the better, because what news channel doesn't want viewers?!

Forget the reactionary BS that people are peddling, look to the reality of the situation and think!

over a year ago

"

Sorry but my original point here is that society in general is worse the country has lost its ethical standards and that’s true.."

In. Your. Opinion.

It’s not fact.

And I disagree with your opinion.

over a year ago

The decline of the dining table. Once a day the family should eat together. All phones and TV off. The ritual of "wash your hands". Eating together and actually engaging in conversation encourages real social behaviour we feel.

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

"

Lol sorry hope you didn’t take my comments personally, but when I lived and worked in London, it was always the case don’t drive around Hackney Leytonstone without windows up and doors locked, funny even now 20 yrs later I didn’t have to worry about that in Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool

Sorry but my original point here is that society in general is worse the country has lost its ethical standards and that’s true.."

Well, I had a classic, Ferrari Spider, various classic Porsche Targas & cabrios & still have a convertible Porsche in my collection (not that I've driven that one for a while), I always drive down with the roofs down when I use them, weather permitting, day & night.

I must admit, when I`m in certain situations, like traffic, I will leave room to get out & have an escape plan, as I do in any of my cars, should anything kick off. To date, it's not happened though.

I don't disagree with you, there is definitely an increase in social problems, & I blame that on cuts over the last decade.

over a year ago

Put them in the army

Teach them discipline

over a year ago

"Put them in the army

Teach them discipline "

Or just teach ‘them’ discipline and right from wrong without putting ‘them’ in an environment that isn’t guaranteed to help ‘them’

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

"The decline of the dining table. Once a day the family should eat together. All phones and TV off. The ritual of "wash your hands". Eating together and actually engaging in conversation encourages real social behaviour we feel."

Yeah, thats gone out the window too, mainly because parents aren't getting home till 8pm after working their arses off to pay mortgages thy cant really afford or rents & bills that are crippling them.

There's a whole heap of reasons why we`re here in society now, & there's no, quick fix for any of them other than putting trillions of pounds back into the various systems, that is currently being sat on, & constantly accumilted, by obscenely rich, often tax avoiding capitalists who have no sense of decency.

And if they don't want to be philanthropists about it, then it`ll have to be taxed out of them, as far as I'm concerned.

Unchecked capitalism that has got this out of hand doesn't benefit any society.

over a year ago

west here ford shire

Bring back the youth club system, football fields, free tennis courts.

By *omesticated_VixenWoman
over a year ago

sw London

I think there are many factors to this

schools not being able to discipline apart from detentions

Parents not disciplining their children and teaching them right from wrong, it is not all about a clip around the ear, our kids new right from wrong

There is no respect anymore and manners seem to be lost

There are no local police who walk the area who the kids get to know

I could go on

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Hang them all and beat them with birch twigs.

That will solve the problem.

Rule the land with an iron fist and all will bow before and tremble at the name of law...

By *tirluvMan
over a year ago

the right frame of mind -London

Op -so racial abuse, homophobia and football hooliganism were all fine and dandy were they? It's very easy to look at history through rose tinted glasses isn't it?

over a year ago

I blame the parents...

By *bsolutebeginnersCouple
over a year ago

Planet Ork

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Quote from Socrates.

over a year ago

"Op -so racial abuse, homophobia and football hooliganism were all fine and dandy were they? It's very easy to look at history through rose tinted glasses isn't it?"
is easy to look back on a hard time and forget the reality.

70-80 high unemployment, terror attacks, city riots,stop and search, police brutality, football violence, muggings, ram raids, joy riding, strikes, black outs, pedos on the TV entertaining our generation,

Yes the old days were better

over a year ago

Years of do-gooders rewarding the wrong people and lack of discipline have created a ferrel Britain

over a year ago

No, of course these things aren't acceptable behavior. They're illegal.

over a year ago

I think we have more ethical standards now, they just seem to have shifted; how to treat people of race, sexuality, the environment, whether we should eat meat, where we get our energy from etc.

Horrendous crimes have become so common place we've become blase about them.

By *uck-RogersMan
over a year ago

Tarka trail

"national service will not help but borstels may and weekend detenion camps may help"
National service is the only solution. Let the country train our teenagers, so that they can respect themselves, respect others, and their country. As for putting them into borstals and weekend training camps. Prevent them from committing a crime in the first place. National service would reduce the following. Drug abuse/addiction. car/motor bike theft. Steeling from shops/ supermarkets. Robing and scamming the elderly. Under age pregnancy.

All this anti social behaviour, the cost of it is passed onto the hard working class. The theft from shops and supermarkets are passed on to us, with increased prices, as with car insurance premiums. We give unmarried mothers places to live, the unemployed and all these so called incapacitated benefits cheats cars. And who is paying for it !!! Yes us, the countries back bone, the working middle class. If you disagree tough shit. There are to many paracite's feeding of us. that's why the country is in dept.

By *ANDA2Couple
over a year ago

Henley Arden

"national service will not help but borstels may and weekend detenion camps may helpNational service is the only solution. Let the country train our teenagers, so that they can respect themselves, respect others, and their country. As for putting them into borstals and weekend training camps. Prevent them from committing a crime in the first place. National service would reduce the following. Drug abuse/addiction. car/motor bike theft. Steeling from shops/ supermarkets. Robing and scamming the elderly. Under age pregnancy.

All this anti social behaviour, the cost of it is passed onto the hard working class. The theft from shops and supermarkets are passed on to us, with increased prices, as with car insurance premiums. We give unmarried mothers places to live, the unemployed and all these so called incapacitated benefits cheats cars. And who is paying for it !!! Yes us, the countries back bone, the working middle class. If you disagree tough shit. There are to many paracite's feeding of us. that's why the country is in dept. "

National service does not stop criminals. All of Europe had national service for 40 years between 46-86 and the UK 39-60. Still plenty of criminal behaviour during that time.

Who do you think pays for national service? The taxpayer.

As for scare mongering about social Cheaters. It’s only a very small % of claimants.

Oh. And you forgot the super rich criminals like Phillip Green who’s company failed to pay 500 million in company PAYE contributions. That’s a bit more than some person in a bed sit claiming ESA due to illness.

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

"I think we have more ethical standards now, they just seem to have shifted; how to treat people of race, sexuality, the environment, whether we should eat meat, where we get our energy from etc.

Horrendous crimes have become so common place we've become blase about them. "

There’s a lot of truth in this .

Look at the child killer who is going to be released .

Look at the groomer paedo who was asked by social services in Rotherham if he wanted to visit the child he fathered , after r@ping the 14 year old girl who gave birth to it .

Look at the recent case where a man brutally murdered a trans meet from fab , got his girlfriend to help clear up the mess , and after a drink and d*ug fueled weekend tried to blame the victim !

And yet we give trans prisoners the opportunity to change gender to change prison and they go on to sexually assault prisoners in the new nick !

World leaders meet because David Attenborough said they should due to climate change .

Vegans campaign in steak houses .

It’s a strange old place .

over a year ago

"I think we have more ethical standards now, they just seem to have shifted; how to treat people of race, sexuality, the environment, whether we should eat meat, where we get our energy from etc.

Look at the groomer paedo who was asked by social services in Rotherham if he wanted to visit the child he fathered , after r@ping the 14 year old girl who gave birth to it .

Look at the recent case where a man brutally murdered a trans meet from fab , got his girlfriend to help clear up the mess , and after a drink and d*ug fueled weekend tried to blame the victim !

And yet we give trans prisoners the opportunity to change gender to change prison and they go on to sexually assault prisoners in the new nick !

World leaders meet because David Attenborough said they should due to climate change .

"

Full subscription to Daily Mail, costs you how much these days?

over a year ago

Full subscription to Daily Mail, costs you how much these days?"

Why are you only able to respond with insults? Cheap

over a year ago

Why are you only able to respond with insults? Cheap "

Ahh, you got one then? Glad to hear it’s economical for you.

over a year ago

We bring our own kids up ... just a thought ... but I do agree on bringing back basic morals.

over a year ago

the 60s and 70s were no different to today apart from bad thing back then did not get the media attention as it does today with social media and the many snowflake that has sprouted from it.. bad shit is in every decade just today you can fart without being heard

By *lsieWoman
over a year ago

where ever

"

By *lsieWoman
over a year ago

where ever

"Lack of discipline is the problem!"

By *Cocksucker84Man
over a year ago

newcastle

Leanne xxx

Change the government.

So you may want to rethink that answer "

Do you have any clue over what powers a mayor actually has? Central government decides what funding goes into things like policing. Maybe if public services weren't being cut to breaking point by CENTRAL government, policing would be better. Maybe you should rethink YOUR answer.

By *Cocksucker84Man
over a year ago

newcastle

"Op -so racial abuse, homophobia and football hooliganism were all fine and dandy were they? It's very easy to look at history through rose tinted glasses isn't it?is easy to look back on a hard time and forget the reality.

70-80 high unemployment, terror attacks, city riots,stop and search, police brutality, football violence, muggings, ram raids, joy riding, strikes, black outs, pedos on the TV entertaining our generation,

Yes the old days were better "

over a year ago

You disagree?

By *ickygirl41Woman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Totally disagree. And find that a rather repulsive attitude, personally. "

Seconded.

over a year ago

You disagree?"

That this is a fair representation of the state of ethical standards currently? Yes.

over a year ago

You disagree?

That this is a fair representation of the state of ethical standards currently? Yes."

Please explain your reasoning.

over a year ago

You disagree?

That this is a fair representation of the state of ethical standards currently? Yes.

Please explain your reasoning."

What do you disagree with?

over a year ago

"the 60s and 70s were no different to today apart from bad thing back then did not get the media attention as it does today with social media and the many snowflake that has sprouted from it.. bad shit is in every decade just today you can fart without being heard "

Yup

over a year ago

"....

'Horrendous crimes have become so common place we've become blase about them.'

There’s a lot of truth in this....

"

There's no truth to this. Both the West and the world are more law abiding and peaceful than any time in recorded history but the media brings ghastly incidents to our attention and give our poor human brains a distorted view of the world and I speak as someone who's just been the victim of some horrible little scrotes.

Mike xx

over a year ago

"....

There's no truth to this. Both the West and the world are more law abiding and peaceful than any time in recorded history but the media brings ghastly incidents to our attention and give our poor human brains a distorted view of the world and I speak as someone who's just been the victim of some horrible little scrotes.

Mike xx"

If you're talking about war i agree, if you're talking about crime then i disagree.

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

I don’t read the Daily Mail , but that’s got nothing to do with the facts as I’ve described them .

over a year ago

"....

Mike xx"

"Both the West and the world are more law abiding and peaceful than any time in recorded history ......"

How can you possibly quantify this?

By *tirluvMan
over a year ago

the right frame of mind -London

"Op -so racial abuse, homophobia and football hooliganism were all fine and dandy were they? It's very easy to look at history through rose tinted glasses isn't it?is easy to look back on a hard time and forget the reality.

Yes the old days were better

"

Thought so

By *ANDA2Couple
over a year ago

Henley Arden

Scientific studies have proven that the advent of ‘rolling 24 hours news’ has led people to falsely believe there is more crime and become more anxious about crime.

They found that one murder reported every hour leads people to believe multiple murders have taken place. When in fact there has been only one.

You could say it’s an unintentional form of brain washing.

Just google as links aren’t allowed.

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"national service will not help but borstels may and weekend detenion camps may helpNational service is the only solution. Let the country train our teenagers, so that they can respect themselves, respect others, and their country. As for putting them into borstals and weekend training camps. Prevent them from committing a crime in the first place. National service would reduce the following. Drug abuse/addiction. car/motor bike theft. Steeling from shops/ supermarkets. Robing and scamming the elderly. Under age pregnancy.

All this anti social behaviour, the cost of it is passed onto the hard working class. The theft from shops and supermarkets are passed on to us, with increased prices, as with car insurance premiums. We give unmarried mothers places to live, the unemployed and all these so called incapacitated benefits cheats cars. And who is paying for it !!! Yes us, the countries back bone, the working middle class. If you disagree tough shit. There are to many paracite's feeding of us. that's why the country is in dept. "

Frankly abhorrent views here in my opinion

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"Scientific studies have proven that the advent of ‘rolling 24 hours news’ has led people to falsely believe there is more crime and become more anxious about crime.

They found that one murder reported every hour leads people to believe multiple murders have taken place. When in fact there has been only one.

You could say it’s an unintentional form of brain washing.

Just google as links aren’t allowed.

"

Absolutely true. Several people have posted this point along the thread, but it's been overlooked in favour of corporal punishment and other draconian measures.

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

According to the police reports relating to violent crime , it’s gone up massively in the last fufteen years .

According to the crime survey which asks 3,500 random people if they have been on the receiving end of violent crime , it’s gone down in fifteen years .

This is information easy to find on the BBC news website called violent crime : is it getting worse .

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"According to the police reports relating to violent crime , it’s gone up massively in the last fufteen years .

According to the crime survey which asks 3,500 random people if they have been on the receiving end of violent crime , it’s gone down in fifteen years .

This is information easy to find on the BBC news website called violent crime : is it getting worse .

"

So, if incidents of violent crime are going down, but arrests are going up, what you are saying is that the police must be catching more perpetrators of violent crime....

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"According to the police reports relating to violent crime , it’s gone up massively in the last fufteen years .

"

Also reporting of crimes has risen in this time too,

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"Look at the child killer who is going to be released"

Someone who has been in prison for 45 years and is now deemed safe to be in society. I can't say whether that's a right or wrong decision, but it's the type of decision that has been made in the justice system for generations. It's no indication of a decline in modern morals or anything like that.

"Look at the groomer paedo who was asked by social services in Rotherham if he wanted to visit the child he fathered , after r@ping the 14 year old girl who gave birth to it."

This is as result of a law that has been in place for a while. It should change, but it sounds like it's a legal cock up, again not because of some catastrophic moral decline.

"Look at the recent case where a man brutally murdered a trans meet from fab , got his girlfriend to help clear up the mess , and after a drink and d*ug fueled weekend tried to blame the victim !"

Brutal murders have happened for generations, unclear what giving a modern example proves.

"And yet we give trans prisoners the opportunity to change gender to change prison and they go on to sexually assault prisoners in the new nick !

"

This was a terrible error by the MoJ which has admitted not taking her violent past into account. There are probably some lessons to be learnt. But one could note that the same could happen if you fail to take account of a violent cis woman or man who is placed with same sex prisoners.

"World leaders meet because David Attenborough said they should due to climate change."

No they didn't. There was a climate change summit, and Attenborough was invited to speak at it. World leaders met because climate change is real and a terrible danger.

"Vegans campaign in steak houses"

Well, agree or disagree with their methods, what would be the point in campaigning in a vegan restaurant? They're trying to get publicity and make an impact.

So in summary, you've listed some mistakes in the justice system, some terrible crimes, and a couple of things that you apparently haven't really understood.

Hardly evidence of the breakdown of society. You could go to any year in history, pick a handful of incidents and claim things are getting worse.

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

So, if incidents of violent crime are going down, but arrests are going up, what you are saying is that the police must be catching more perpetrators of violent crime...."

Unfortunately not .

Arrests aren’t going up at all , but reports of violent crimes made to the police have . It doesn’t mean they do anything about it .

What’s clear is that we don’t have enough police presence any longer .

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

"Look at the child killer who is going to be released

Someone who has been in prison for 45 years and is now deemed safe to be in society. I can't say whether that's a right or wrong decision, but it's the type of decision that has been made in the justice system for generations. It's no indication of a decline in modern morals or anything like that.

Look at the groomer paedo who was asked by social services in Rotherham if he wanted to visit the child he fathered , after r@ping the 14 year old girl who gave birth to it.

This is as result of a law that has been in place for a while. It should change, but it sounds like it's a legal cock up, again not because of some catastrophic moral decline.

Brutal murders have happened for generations, unclear what giving a modern example proves.

This was a terrible error by the MoJ which has admitted not taking her violent past into account. There are probably some lessons to be learnt. But one could note that the same could happen if you fail to take account of a violent cis woman or man who is placed with same sex prisoners.

World leaders meet because David Attenborough said they should due to climate change.

No they didn't. There was a climate change summit, and Attenborough was invited to speak at it. World leaders met because climate change is real and a terrible danger.

Vegans campaign in steak houses

Well, agree or disagree with their methods, what would be the point in campaigning in a vegan restaurant? They're trying to get publicity and make an impact.

So in summary, you've listed some mistakes in the justice system, some terrible crimes, and a couple of things that you apparently haven't really understood.

Hardly evidence of the breakdown of society. You could go to any year in history, pick a handful of incidents and claim things are getting worse.

"

My examples were used specifically relating to the post by Dr prod .

I used the appalling cases as they are all recent , and then the vegan and climate change examples to show how society has changed ethically , and violent crimes seem diluted .

Seem ok to me to do so given his post .

But I do agree that you could do the same for every year in history .

By *hrobbermanMan
over a year ago

Lanarkshire

The wording of the OP is a little confused - but let's try and examine it and see where we get.

* Someone who is able to stab an unarmed teenager is an attempted murderer. Sticking a knife in someone with no surgical training is attempted murder. Why would a murderer be worried about the OP's sense of "ethical standards"? In short they don't give a sh*t.

Acid attacks? See above. They don't give a sh*t about what you or anyone thinks. They have NO standards.

Cut to the chase.

How long should such criminals be put inside for? How long does Society want to remain responsible for feeding, clothing and comfortably/ securely accommodating that person.

Answer... Society doesn't give a sh*t because such criminals are released on Tags. Or given a couple of years with automatic early release for acceptable behaviour in prison.

"Retributive Justice Squads required. Vigilante Force assemble!"

Oh yeah... the last time the Retributive Justice Squads assembled they burned down the home of a paediatrician thinking they were a paedophile.

Jeez.

over a year ago

west here ford shire

Please don’t get confused as to what my thread is about, my point is merely to say society in general is on a decline. Things were not like this when I grew up. Nobody got stabbed, you may have got in a fight, but you’d never expect to die from that altercation.

Yet we seem to accept things now as the norm!!

Why?

Why should these delinquents get away with carrying knives, throwing acid, shooting people.

By *ANDA2Couple
over a year ago

Henley Arden

"Please don’t get confused as to what my thread is about, my point is merely to say society in general is on a decline. Things were not like this when I grew up. Nobody got stabbed, you may have got in a fight, but you’d never expect to die from that altercation.

Why?

Why should these delinquents get away with carrying knives, throwing acid, shooting people.

"

No. Society is not in decline

Yes maybe a few more people are stabbed but less innocent people are killed by d*unk drivers.

Yes some people throw acid at people but the general public can go shopping on a football match day without fear of being caught up in football violence.

Your making sweeping general comments and referring to vague time scales and periods. Which all add up to complete cobblers.

By *entenTeaCouple
over a year ago

Buckley North Wales

"There have always been gangs, always been stabbings, always been drugs. Just now there is also 24 hour media, so we hear about it quicker and more in your face.

Each generation will remember their youth fondly. "

You hit the nail on the head there. We are just more exposed and aware of what is going on. In all fairness to our current young folk. I think there is less racism and less sexism. They are drinking less and more aware of social issues. I don't think it has got worse. Its changed, not worse.

over a year ago

west here ford shire

"There have always been gangs, always been stabbings, always been drugs. Just now there is also 24 hour media, so we hear about it quicker and more in your face.

You hit the nail on the head there. We are just more exposed and aware of what is going on. In all fairness to our current young folk. I think there is less racism and less sexism. They are drinking less and more aware of social issues. I don't think it has got worse. Its changed, not worse. "

I agree in the majority you’re correct, but the issues not about the good kids, my issue is about the rising social an adequacy of the poorer classes. That’s where society issues are

By *ondonFreakMan
over a year ago

London

"

I agree in the majority you’re correct, but the issues not about the good kids, my issue is about the rising social an adequacy of the poorer classes. That’s where society issues are"

At least, that's what the media portrays..

There's been an awful lot of poverty porn in recent years, numerous series in fact, but other than the odd program about high profile asset stripping directors, banking fraud, pension thieves & tax evading multinationals, there's precious little exposure of the upper class/elite class wrongs, who have been systematically screwing various systems for decades, completely invisibly.

We`re talking about dozens of individuals taking billions out of the British economy, year in, year out, sometimes for generations, as well as nationals & multinationals doing the same. These people are literally receiving millions, weekly, in interest alone for doing absolutely nothing. Many have never worked a day in their lives, yet, despite having this enormous wealth that would take 100 lifetimes to spend, they still actively do everything they can to continue evading taxes, like its a big game of monopoly.. Theres £6-8bn lost in "legitimate" tax avoidance every year, no one knows the exact figure we're losing to illegal avoidance, but it will dwarf that figure. The level of greed & lack of morals is staggering.

The national `pot` isnt inexhaustible. The BoE can keep printing more money to cover this almost unretrievable money, but ultimately the more they do it, the less the £ is worth.

There's always been "elites" in every country, hidden away, who have often inherited their wealth portfolio, but if you look at western wealth divide, its been ballooning since the 80`s, when the whole "greed is good" ethos took off, as did active tax avoidance & evasion on a grand scale. Why have the government been so reluctant to close tax loopholes & actively kerb evasion that has led us to this situation? Because many have their hand in the pot, or are from families who have their hands in the pot..

This is the main reason public services are collapsing, the resulting deterioration of standards, both living & social standards, for the rest of us is directly attributable to the ever increasing lack of money in the national pot, & this plays out on the streets in the form of low end lawlessness, and this is what people see, this .

I`m not a communist, there's benefits to capitalism, but the unchecked capitalism & sickening greed we`ve been experiencing over the last few decades destroys countries, & social systems, leading to the street level criminality described by the original topic question.

There's more reasons, obviously, but low level crime & antisocial behaviour is simply a byproduct of destitution & desperation caused by poverty & wealth divide.

Sorry for writing a small essay first thing in the morning, well done in you got this far!

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"

I agree in the majority you’re correct, but the issues not about the good kids, my issue is about the rising social an adequacy of the poorer classes. That’s where society issues are

There's been an awful lot of poverty porn in recent years, numerous series in fact, but other than the odd program about high profile asset stripping directors, banking fraud, pension thieves & tax evading multinationals, there's precious little exposure of the upper class/elite class wrongs, who have been systematically screwing various systems for decades, completely invisibly.

We`re talking about dozens of individuals taking billions out of the British economy, year in, year out, sometimes for generations, as well as nationals & multinationals doing the same. These people are literally receiving millions, weekly, in interest alone for doing absolutely nothing. Many have never worked a day in their lives, yet, despite having this enormous wealth that would take 100 lifetimes to spend, they still actively do everything they can to continue evading taxes, like its a big game of monopoly.. Theres £6-8bn lost in "legitimate" tax avoidance every year, no one knows the exact figure we're losing to illegal avoidance, but it will dwarf that figure. The level of greed & lack of morals is staggering.

The national `pot` isnt inexhaustible. The BoE can keep printing more money to cover this almost unretrievable money, but ultimately the more they do it, the less the £ is worth.

There's always been "elites" in every country, hidden away, who have often inherited their wealth portfolio, but if you look at western wealth divide, its been ballooning since the 80`s, when the whole "greed is good" ethos took off, as did active tax avoidance & evasion on a grand scale. Why have the government been so reluctant to close tax loopholes & actively kerb evasion that has led us to this situation? Because many have their hand in the pot, or are from families who have their hands in the pot..

This is the main reason public services are collapsing, the resulting deterioration of standards, both living & social standards, for the rest of us is directly attributable to the ever increasing lack of money in the national pot, & this plays out on the streets in the form of low end lawlessness, and this is what people see, this .

I`m not a communist, there's benefits to capitalism, but the unchecked capitalism & sickening greed we`ve been experiencing over the last few decades destroys countries, & social systems, leading to the street level criminality described by the original topic question.

There's more reasons, obviously, but low level crime & antisocial behaviour is simply a byproduct of destitution & desperation caused by poverty & wealth divide.

Sorry for writing a small essay first thing in the morning, well done in you got this far! "

Exactly this!

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

"Please don’t get confused as to what my thread is about, my point is merely to say society in general is on a decline. Things were not like this when I grew up. Nobody got stabbed, you may have got in a fight, but you’d never expect to die from that altercation.

Why?

No. Society is not in decline

Yes maybe a few more people are stabbed but less innocent people are killed by d*unk drivers.

Yes some people throw acid at people but the general public can go shopping on a football match day without fear of being caught up in football violence.

Your making sweeping general comments and referring to vague time scales and periods. Which all add up to complete cobblers. "

Indeed.

I remember the seventies and eighties. Casual violence was much more socially acceptable then than it is now, never mind the violence meted out to black people, gays and so on which pretty much everyone turned a blind eye to. It was also the time of violent industrial disputes and IRA terrorism.

The good old days my arse.

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

"Erm...reality check here. Crime is increasing, violent crime marginally so, however per capita of the population it remains quite steady. Even the recent increase over the last three years has been put down to a drive within police forces to better record crime by the Office of National Statistics.

This is what I really worry about, because this is how you give up personal freedoms...by starting to believe that you are less safe and secure than you were"

Well you can prove anything with facts!

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

"

Sorry for writing a small essay first thing in the morning, well done in you got this far! "

You’re spot on.

By *ANDA2Couple
over a year ago

Henley Arden

You hit the nail on the head there. We are just more exposed and aware of what is going on. In all fairness to our current young folk. I think there is less racism and less sexism. They are drinking less and more aware of social issues. I don't think it has got worse. Its changed, not worse.

I agree in the majority you’re correct, but the issues not about the good kids, my issue is about the rising social an adequacy of the poorer classes. That’s where society issues are"

Maybe. But that’s not the issue you raised in your original post. You keep changing the the intent of your post.

As to this current statement. ‘Poorer’ classes less well behaved?

Poor behaviour cuts across all social classes. There are Yobs working in The City and business as well as hiding within the shadows of a rundown council estate.

You seem to have some snobbish warped sense of how society actually is.

Post new Message to Thread