Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The dopamine clique

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I was chatting with a friend about the Fab forum the other day and she expressed the usual gripe that it feels cliquey. Then we talked about how I found it quite addictive with all the little dopamine hits and she said that's what the clique is... it's a small group of people who are addicted to the dopamine hits of posting something and having someone reply to it. And I finally realised she was right. That's exactly what's going on with a core group of people on here who just chat away endlessly about everything and anything like Graham Norton's character on Father Ted.

So this thread is some advice for the dopamine junkies out there. I was there. This is what I did. Firstly I went cold turkey and took a whole week off. Then I started viewing the forum via the desktop site without logging on. If you're on a phone you'll see the link to it at the bottom of the front screen. After you click through you can select "forum" from the banner at the top and you're in.

This enabled me to enjoy reading the forum again but in a read only format. Something I may continue to do after I leave. But this little bit of distance from it also puts in an extra hurdle. A thread really needs to be exceptional to bother logging in and contributing to. But, over time, you'll realise that none of them really are all that exceptional. And the need for that dopamine hit reduces and you finally feel less antsy and agitated and in need of "something".

As with my other post, I'm envisaging this'll get some people's backs up. But the intention is noble. There are some good people on this site and if they're locked in a negative dopamine addiction I truly hope they can break away from it and settle back inside themselves in a more grounded way. Fabs forums provided me with real relief from some of the crap I went through this last year. But it left me with an addiction I needed to deal with. This thread is for others who suspect they may have gotten wound into an unhealthy relationship with this or other social media. I hope you find a way through it. All the best everyone xx

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

You're so right. Now someone please quote me

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Bye then

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

You think way too much into this shit.

over a year ago

"You think way too much into this shit."

I was going to recommend he get a hobby

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

"You're so right. Now someone please quote me "

Do you feel better now

over a year ago

Soz dude im not into reading is there a highlights episode after 10

over a year ago

Not given it much thought to be honest. Even from school days I've always been abit of a lone wolf which suits me just delightfully. If something gives you joy then engage in it, if not then don't

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

I don't know what a dopamine clique is, but the forums work for some and not others. I've actually found some useful information through the forums, but on the whole, had lots of laughs and made a couple of nice friends who we private message each other

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

I used to contribute to loads of threads , and felt it was all worthwhile . I’d get upset when I had a timeout . I would be miffed if no one quoted me , and even more upset if no one agreed with me .

Those day are long gone .

A few months ago someone suggested in a thread that I may be part of the clique ! The fact that forumites themselves said that the person who suggested this must be mad as I’ve never been anything like that in all the years on here spoke volumes .

I don’t get a dopamine like fix any longer from coming on here , far from it . But it passes time when there’s nothing else to do I guess .

By *ngelina4uWoman
over a year ago

Camberley/Middleton

Your friend has good incite OP the little dopamine hits as you describe it I would agree with. I always think its a bit of a substitute for real life interaction and find it fills the gap for lonely people. I tend to use it more when in my flat down here away from most family and friends.

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

"You're so right. Now someone please quote me

Do you feel better now "

Thanks for the dopamine fix

over a year ago

You’re possibly right, I see here and my Twitter (which is mostly football based) and my football clubs forum (my three main Social Media platforms) more as a distraction from day to day life to be honest.

But they’d be dull if nobody ever responded - the interaction is what makes them fun. Who doesn’t like social interaction? It’s why you go with your mates to the pub. Or out playing sport. Or any other social activity : to interact with other people and have fun.

I think you’re possibly over-thinking this, but you’re definitely right that I prefer people to respond to me than ignore me!

over a year ago

Sean Parker, the founding president of Facebook, admitted that the social network was founded not to unite us, but to distract us. “The thought process was: ‘How do we consume as much of your time and conscious attention as possible?’” .Facebook exploited a vulnerability in human psychology . Whenever someone likes or comments on a post or photograph, he said, “we… give you a little dopamine hit”.

over a year ago

"I was chatting with a friend about the Fab forum the other day and she expressed the usual gripe that it feels cliquey. Then we talked about how I found it quite addictive with all the little dopamine hits and she said that's what the clique is... it's a small group of people who are addicted to the dopamine hits of posting something and having someone reply to it. And I finally realised she was right. That's exactly what's going on with a core group of people on here who just chat away endlessly about everything and anything like Graham Norton's character on Father Ted.

So this thread is some advice for the dopamine junkies out there. I was there. This is what I did. Firstly I went cold turkey and took a whole week off. Then I started viewing the forum via the desktop site without logging on. If you're on a phone you'll see the link to it at the bottom of the front screen. After you click through you can select "forum" from the banner at the top and you're in.

This enabled me to enjoy reading the forum again but in a read only format. Something I may continue to do after I leave. But this little bit of distance from it also puts in an extra hurdle. A thread really needs to be exceptional to bother logging in and contributing to. But, over time, you'll realise that none of them really are all that exceptional. And the need for that dopamine hit reduces and you finally feel less antsy and agitated and in need of "something".

As with my other post, I'm envisaging this'll get some people's backs up. But the intention is noble. There are some good people on this site and if they're locked in a negative dopamine addiction I truly hope they can break away from it and settle back inside themselves in a more grounded way. Fabs forums provided me with real relief from some of the crap I went through this last year. But it left me with an addiction I needed to deal with. This thread is for others who suspect they may have gotten wound into an unhealthy relationship with this or other social media. I hope you find a way through it. All the best everyone xx"

Is this your farewell speech?

over a year ago

"You think way too much into this shit.

I was going to recommend he get a hobby"

I was going to recommend he get a room with himself.

over a year ago

Well being here certainly cured my Twitter addiction. I'm barely there anymore

over a year ago

It may come as a surprise to you OP but some people actually use this site to arrange meets ...

Posting in the forums is just a front for other activities

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

It's an established fact that people addicted to likes and fabs and views and winks on social media are getting a dopamine hit out of it, and it's easy to see when there is a real neediness to their use of the site.

But dopamine is also released in any kind of physically or psychologically rewarding or pleasurable activity - healthy social interaction for instance, exercise, dancing, nicotine, or surprise, surprise, even SEX!

So I would suggest that there is a full spectrum of need/pleasure-reward going on here. It's certainly a great place for psyche watching.

over a year ago

I stand corrected...

Some people do take this place seriously !

over a year ago

Thanks Professor McScience for the sage advise, you leaving is going on longer than a Shirley Bassey encore.

over a year ago

"Well being here certainly cured my Twitter addiction. I'm barely there anymore "

I haven’t been on Facebook for 6 months, I have Fab to thank for that.

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Oh and a tip for anyone with any kind of dopamine addiction - St John's Wort increases dopamine as well as serotonin - helped me get off my nicotine dopamine addiction years ago.

over a year ago

"Well being here certainly cured my Twitter addiction. I'm barely there anymore

I haven’t been on Facebook for 6 months, I have Fab to thank for that. "

Well done. Easy when you know how

over a year ago

"Oh and a tip for anyone with any kind of dopamine addiction - St John's Wort increases dopamine as well as serotonin - helped me get off my nicotine dopamine addiction years ago. "

But will our pictures still get fabbed if we dont care anymore

over a year ago

"You think way too much into this shit."

Way, way too much

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"Oh and a tip for anyone with any kind of dopamine addiction - St John's Wort increases dopamine as well as serotonin - helped me get off my nicotine dopamine addiction years ago.

But will our pictures still get fabbed if we dont care anymore "

I dunno, but I don't give a damn lol!

over a year ago

Are you leaving then?

over a year ago

"Oh and a tip for anyone with any kind of dopamine addiction - St John's Wort increases dopamine as well as serotonin - helped me get off my nicotine dopamine addiction years ago.

But will our pictures still get fabbed if we dont care anymore

I dunno, but I don't give a damn lol! "

over a year ago

I prefer the straightforward, light-hearted question threads to back and forward interactive ones. I've always loved filling out questionnaires though, so I must get my fix from answering superficial questions like 'Whats your favourite...? or 'Name a song...?' etc where there's not much need for a response. I don't think I use Fab for anything on a very deep level.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I prefer the straightforward, light-hearted question threads to back and forward interactive ones. I've always loved filling out questionnaires though, so I must get my fix from answering superficial questions like 'Whats your favourite...? or 'Name a song...?' etc where there's not much need for a response. I don't think I use Fab for anything on a very deep level."

I prefer the ones that involve a bit of discussion. I avoid politics though.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Bon voyage op.

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

And 'whoooosh'! Bye bye Sooty, have a nice life!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I happen to think that all of you have been quite harsh on old......uhmmmmm ...... errrrmmmmmmmm

Who was it ?

over a year ago

"Well being here certainly cured my Twitter addiction. I'm barely there anymore

I haven’t been on Facebook for 6 months, I have Fab to thank for that. "

I need Facebook as have lots of work groups on there to swap my shifts and leave etc.

over a year ago

Never understood why people feel the need to let everone know they're leaving. It's just an internet forum, log-out and don't bother logging in again.

over a year ago

"Never understood why people feel the need to let everone know they're leaving. It's just an internet forum, log-out and don't bother logging in again.

"

Dopamine?

By *VineMan
over a year ago

The right place

Oh shit OP has gone unlos

That’s a shame

over a year ago

"Never understood why people feel the need to let everone know they're leaving. It's just an internet forum, log-out and don't bother logging in again.

Dopamine? "

Oh the irony.

over a year ago

Dopamine? "

over a year ago

Soulful Kinky finally gone?

over a year ago

"Well being here certainly cured my Twitter addiction. I'm barely there anymore "
Much more fun having someone look up your skirt I guess.Twitter don't offer that.Nice view by the way.

By *VineMan
over a year ago

The right place

"Soulful Kinky finally gone?"

Yep. I enjoyed his contributions

over a year ago

"Soulful Kinky finally gone?"

Whoever it was needed everybody to realise they've gone; just like they'll need everyone to be aware when they come back.

over a year ago

"I was chatting with a friend about the Fab forum the other day and she expressed the usual gripe that it feels cliquey. Then we talked about how I found it quite addictive with all the little dopamine hits and she said that's what the clique is... it's a small group of people who are addicted to the dopamine hits of posting something and having someone reply to it. And I finally realised she was right. That's exactly what's going on with a core group of people on here who just chat away endlessly about everything and anything like Graham Norton's character on Father Ted.

As with my other post, I'm envisaging this'll get some people's backs up. But the intention is noble. There are some good people on this site and if they're locked in a negative dopamine addiction I truly hope they can break away from it and settle back inside themselves in a more grounded way. Fabs forums provided me with real relief from some of the crap I went through this last year. But it left me with an addiction I needed to deal with. This thread is for others who suspect they may have gotten wound into an unhealthy relationship with this or other social media. I hope you find a way through it. All the best everyone xx"

I've booked into the priory but they've said it's going to be expensive

over a year ago

I enjoyed his posts. Have him as an advisor now, quickly got the details before his departure.

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

So that's what it is! Can I just get a bottle please?

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

"I enjoyed his posts. Have him as an advisor now, quickly got the details before his departure. "

You'll need another adviser to summarise him, and a third to talk the second one off a ledge...

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

"I enjoyed his posts. Have him as an advisor now, quickly got the details before his departure.

You'll need another adviser to summarise him, and a third to talk the second one off a ledge..."

over a year ago

"I happen to think that all of you have been quite harsh on old......uhmmmmm ...... errrrmmmmmmmm

Who was it ?"

He wrote too much for me to read, most of the time.

I'm a goldfish.

over a year ago

"I enjoyed his posts. Have him as an advisor now, quickly got the details before his departure.

You'll need another adviser to summarise him, and a third to talk the second one off a ledge..."

Wailing with laughter here

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"I enjoyed his posts. Have him as an advisor now, quickly got the details before his departure. "

Whoa, has Annie left the building!!?

over a year ago

Two unlos’s in one thread, emotional scenes.

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

I liked his posts, I agreed with a lot of what he believed, and controversy is good for the forums, I don't like the banal. But I think he got really disillusioned at the end and needed a break from it.

over a year ago

"Well being here certainly cured my Twitter addiction. I'm barely there anymore Much more fun having someone look up your skirt I guess.Twitter don't offer that.Nice view by the way. "

Depends if its naughty or nice Twitter

over a year ago

"I liked his posts, I agreed with a lot of what he believed, and controversy is good for the forums, I don't like the banal. But I think he got really disillusioned at the end and needed a break from it. "
have a break have a kitkat

over a year ago

"I liked his posts, I agreed with a lot of what he believed, and controversy is good for the forums, I don't like the banal. But I think he got really disillusioned at the end and needed a break from it. "

He seemed a lot more cheerful months back I agree

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

"I prefer the straightforward, light-hearted question threads to back and forward interactive ones. I've always loved filling out questionnaires though, so I must get my fix from answering superficial questions like 'Whats your favourite...? or 'Name a song...?' etc where there's not much need for a response. I don't think I use Fab for anything on a very deep level."

Very sensible .

If you use fab for anything close to a deep level you’re on a hiding to nothing if the truth be known

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

"Two unlos’s in one thread, emotional scenes. "

Who else left ?

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"Well being here certainly cured my Twitter addiction. I'm barely there anymore Much more fun having someone look up your skirt I guess.Twitter don't offer that.Nice view by the way.

Depends if its naughty or nice Twitter"

Wait, there's a naughty twitter?

over a year ago

"Two unlos’s in one thread, emotional scenes.

Who else left ? "

Annie Wilkes/Seawitch

over a year ago

"I prefer the straightforward, light-hearted question threads to back and forward interactive ones. I've always loved filling out questionnaires though, so I must get my fix from answering superficial questions like 'Whats your favourite...? or 'Name a song...?' etc where there's not much need for a response. I don't think I use Fab for anything on a very deep level.

Very sensible .

If you use fab for anything close to a deep level you’re on a hiding to nothing if the truth be known "

OMG, a reply! Thank you thank you thank you !!

over a year ago

Ah good luck if you’re reading in from elsewhere SK.

I’m not surprised you left as it seemed like Fab wasn’t working for you recently and I hope you find what you’re looking for!

over a year ago

"Well being here certainly cured my Twitter addiction. I'm barely there anymore Much more fun having someone look up your skirt I guess.Twitter don't offer that.Nice view by the way.

Wait, there's a naughty twitter? "

There is, and it is appalling

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

Who else left ?

Annie Wilkes/Seawitch"

I liked her too , although there is no doubt this wasn’t the right place for her .

over a year ago

If you fab my latest pic I’ll put some homemade porn on bebo

over a year ago

"If you fab my latest pic I’ll put some homemade porn on bebo "
ok just doing it

By *exymidscouple2017Couple
over a year ago

Birmingham

Wait, there's a naughty twitter? "

Oh yes...it started it all for us

over a year ago

Who else left ?

Annie Wilkes/Seawitch"

And they will both be back again shortly

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

There is, and it is appalling "

Where do I sign up?!

By *pider-WomanWoman
over a year ago

Exeter, Bristol, Plymouth, Truro

"Ah good luck if you’re reading in from elsewhere SK.

I’m not surprised you left as it seemed like Fab wasn’t working for you recently and I hope you find what you’re looking for! "

Bye bye..I hope you find what your looking for in the real world. Such a lovely guy.

over a year ago

Dopamine? "

Yes please!

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Awwwwww, I guess he had a point but a bit deep and meaningful for me!

over a year ago

Aw has he gone. He was alright he was. Cracked me up sometimes. All the best if you’re reading from elsewhere soulful

over a year ago

"Awwwwww, I guess he had a point but a bit deep and meaningful for me!"

And slightly patronising.

over a year ago

"Ah good luck if you’re reading in from elsewhere SK.

I’m not surprised you left as it seemed like Fab wasn’t working for you recently and I hope you find what you’re looking for!

Bye bye..I hope you find what your looking for in the real world. Such a lovely guy. "

did you tell him that when he was here?

over a year ago

"Awwwwww, I guess he had a point but a bit deep and meaningful for me!"

I gave up after the 2nd paragraph lol. He was a good un though

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

There is, and it is appalling "

So are you going to share where this filth can be found?

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"Awwwwww, I guess he had a point but a bit deep and meaningful for me!

I gave up after the 2nd paragraph lol. He was a good un though "

I was like that with most of his posts tbh, seemed like a decent chap though

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Both good contributors.

over a year ago

So are you going to share where this filth can be found? "

I only found the tip of the iceberg really, I may need to dig up my log in details from some long lost recess.

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"

If you use fab for anything close to a deep level you’re on a hiding to nothing if the truth be known "

Oh I disagree, we've had some great discussions over the years, only thing keeps me on the forums!

over a year ago

"

If you use fab for anything close to a deep level you’re on a hiding to nothing if the truth be known

Oh I disagree, we've had some great discussions over the years, only thing keeps me on the forums!"

It’s just replaced Facebook for me really! And met a couple of lovely people along the way.

over a year ago

The OP is right.

Social media addiction is bad for your mental health.

You should definately not go on after 10pm.

over a year ago

"The OP is right.

You should definately not go on after 10pm."

Ok

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"

Oh I disagree, we've had some great discussions over the years, only thing keeps me on the forums!

It’s just replaced Facebook for me really! And met a couple of lovely people along the way. "

Totally different usage for me - I use Facebook to keep up with all the 'real world' events I go to, and to keep in touch with one or two long distance friends, but never have any kind of in depth discussion on there, and it's not 24/7 active like fab is lol!

over a year ago

Is it bad that I use the Fab forums to keep abreast of the news ?

over a year ago

"The OP is right.

You should definately not go on after 10pm."

Oh fuck, I was on here after 10 last night and the night before that!

By *VineMan
over a year ago

The right place

"The OP is right.

Oh fuck, I was on here after 10 last night and the night before that! "

If you can’t be a good role model be a terrible warning!!

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Bet he’s reading this.

over a year ago

"Bet he’s reading this. "

*waves to Soulful kinky*

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"You’re possibly right, I see here and my Twitter (which is mostly football based) and my football clubs forum (my three main Social Media platforms) more as a distraction from day to day life to be honest.

But they’d be dull if nobody ever responded - the interaction is what makes them fun. Who doesn’t like social interaction? It’s why you go with your mates to the pub. Or out playing sport. Or any other social activity : to interact with other people and have fun.

I think you’re possibly over-thinking this, but you’re definitely right that I prefer people to respond to me than ignore me! "

touche!

over a year ago

"The OP is right.

If you can’t be a good role model be a terrible warning!! "

I'm no role model. I'm terribly addicted to forums.

over a year ago

"Two unlos’s in one thread"

Quantum entanglement ?

over a year ago

"The OP is right.

If you can’t be a good role model be a terrible warning!! "

I'm good at that! In my defence, it was after midnight and the moon was full

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

So are you going to share where this filth can be found?

I only found the tip of the iceberg really, I may need to dig up my log in details from some long lost recess. "

Will there be stripy tights and no knickers though?

over a year ago

over a year ago

" "

This

over a year ago

Man, I love the smell of dopamine in the morning.

over a year ago

"Man, I love the smell of dopamine in the morning. "

I dunno what it is i got bored reading so i assume its a good thing to catch

over a year ago

On a side note:

Two threads I been in today and a poster has gone unlos! Wonder if it was the same person

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"On a side note:

Two threads I been in today and a poster has gone unlos! Wonder if it was the same person "

Can't help but have the same thoughts.

Post new Message to Thread