Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Should tipping be included in the bill?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I like to go to coffee shops and I always give tips as I like the service I get and I usually give 1 or 2 pounds, but when you go to restaurants sometimes it is included in your bill automatically, whats your view, is it fair?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Na

over a year ago

Yes its fair to include it in the bill, that way everyone gets a share even though they get taxed on it..

Some people just arent as generous as you shag and often end up.with nothing to show for their hard work and service...

However if the service is crap Id have no problem asking for the extra to be excluded

over a year ago

No.

I'll tip if someone goes above and beyond the call of duty that they're paid for.

I'm sorry that they need tips to top up wages of tight arse cunt bosses, but that's not my problem. Either quit or fight for a better wage.

over a year ago

In this country, service is included in the bill and so tipping is entirely at your own discretion.

over a year ago

I never fully understand the tipping culture, and I know it's prevalent and relied on in North America whenever I'm there, where service is generally excellent as a result.

However, why do I have to tip for good service, for something I already paid for? Shouldn't that be a given anyway?

over a year ago

If tip goes to person serving you.

If company keeps it no

over a year ago

I think in our culture tipping isn't necessary.

People who are employed don't need extra charity.

If it's a peasent country I give them upwards of 20%

But because we have minimum wage and things are expensive anyway/included in the bill.

I don't bother.

I tip peasents for cheap services because it's ridiculously cheap in some countries.

By *tirluvMan
over a year ago

the right frame of mind -London

1. Pay the staff a decent wage and I'll be happy to pay the cost increase that entails.

2. Tipping is discretionary -if i am tipping -it is for good service and a good product -if it meets neither of these why should I tip.

3. Tipping is for anything done over and above the functional expectations of the job (I'm looking at you taxi drivers).

So, no, tipping should not be automatically included as it is up to me to decide how much of a tip said staff member deserves.

-And before anyone takes an issue with the above -I spent many a year working for crappy tips in restaurants and bars.

over a year ago

No i dont tip

over a year ago

It is very assumptive on the part of the restaurant to automatically include a tip. I ask them to remove the tip from the bill as it is for me to decide not them.

over a year ago

No, tips shouldn't be included, wages should be enough in the first place!

By *bonynivoryCouple
over a year ago

market harborough

"I like to go to coffee shops and I always give tips as I like the service I get and I usually give 1 or 2 pounds, but when you go to restaurants sometimes it is included in your bill automatically, whats your view, is it fair? "

This is a difficult one for me because I've been a waitress and therefore see that side as well. Im 50/50 on it.

Tipping, in reality, is very subjective. People like to say they tip if the service is good but in reality a lot more factors come into it than that sometimes.

This is from my own personal experience, others may have had different experiences.

If serving a couple, no matter how good the service you give, if the woman doesn't like you for whatever reason, you will most likely get a small or no tip.

Some people tip based only on physical attributes of the server.

Some people cannot separate service from food quality . So as a server you can give your absolute best service, but if they didn't like the food, no tip.

On the other hand, having a tip automatically added to the bill seems wrong to me. People should choose whether or not to tip.

Mrs

over a year ago

"Yes its fair to include it in the bill, that way everyone gets a share even though they get taxed on it..

Some people just arent as generous as you shag and often end up.with nothing to show for their hard work and service...

However if the service is crap Id have no problem asking for the extra to be excluded "

Ty and that is right I am, also I know that at the end of the day they divide it up between them as those in the kitchen dont get any tips, as they dont work at the front.

By *hite1100Man
over a year ago

Hither Green

Personally I tip if the service is *good* rather than *average*. I don’t particularly like seeing it included by default (it’s presumptious) and have on occasion asked for it to be removed.

On one occasion this resulted in a heated argument with a waitress about what the word “discretionary” meant, which rather underlined the reason why I was asking for the charge to be removed in the first place ...

Standards of service in the U.K. are generally quite poor in my experience.

By *hite1100Man
over a year ago

Hither Green

"I like to go to coffee shops and I always give tips as I like the service I get and I usually give 1 or 2 pounds, but when you go to restaurants sometimes it is included in your bill automatically, whats your view, is it fair?

This is a difficult one for me because I've been a waitress and therefore see that side as well. Im 50/50 on it.

Tipping, in reality, is very subjective. People like to say they tip if the service is good but in reality a lot more factors come into it than that sometimes.

This is from my own personal experience, others may have had different experiences.

If serving a couple, no matter how good the service you give, if the woman doesn't like you for whatever reason, you will most likely get a small or no tip.

Some people tip based only on physical attributes of the server.

Some people cannot separate service from food quality . So as a server you can give your absolute best service, but if they didn't like the food, no tip.

On the other hand, having a tip automatically added to the bill seems wrong to me. People should choose whether or not to tip.

Mrs

"

Unfortunately if the foods crap, I’m unlikely to tip. I expect most people are the same.

It’s probably a little unfair but it is what it is.

over a year ago

I sometimes "pre-tip" if the restaurant is busy to ensure good and rapid service.

By *rontier PsychiatristMan
over a year ago

Coventry

Hell no!

It's the employers job to pay the staff properly, not yours to supplement the employer. It's your prerogative if you want to give an extra little thank you to those that serve you.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

No it shouldn't be included, it should be at the customers discretion to tip. Would you tip everyone who gave you good service, shop workers, bank workers etc?

By *izzmasterzeroMan
over a year ago

Aberdeen

I don't see why we should tip just for doing their job, we don't tip teachers for educating and dealing with our kids all day, cleaners don't get a tip for each toilet they scrub, we don't tip doctors and nurses for saving our lives.

I have the same issue with tradesmen who expect a cuppa within five minutes of turning up, NO! you're not entitled to a complimentary cup of tea simply for showing up to work, usually late as well

By *orkie321bWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

I don't agree on tips being automatically added to the bill and will usually ask for it to be removed. Too many chains will take a percentage of the tips added this way to supposedly cover the costs of administration when all they are doing is helping themselves to money that rightfully belongs to the staff. I always tip in cash if I choose to do so.

I will choose whether to tip or not and won't be forced into it by greedy business owners.

By *uryWhipMan
over a year ago

Harringay

Never understood the idea of tipping. Feel like I'm paying someone to do their job. And only in certain industries. I earned the same amount for waiting and bar work as I did in retail and worked harder in a shop. So why am I getting tipped for pulling a pint in a quiet pub but not for dealing with shitty attitudes in a busy shop? On that basis, I don't tip.

By *ngelina4uWoman
over a year ago

Camberley/Middleton

No the opposite the service charge shouldn't be included buy people should tip between 10 and 20% depending on service as they do in the states.

over a year ago

By *he Queen of TartsWoman
Forum Mod

over a year ago

My Own Little World

Nope.

I will choose if I want to leave a tip and how much, I usually do but I don't appreciate the choice being taken out of my hands.

over a year ago

over a year ago

Interesting points everyone

By *xtrafun4youMan
over a year ago

Dunstable

"I like to go to coffee shops and I always give tips as I like the service I get and I usually give 1 or 2 pounds, but when you go to restaurants sometimes it is included in your bill automatically, whats your view, is it fair? "
nope.

over a year ago

I’m sorry Shag, your avatar has me in fucking tears every time I see it.

over a year ago

My BF always tips £1 for each person on the table. X

over a year ago

No. I like to choose how much I give- typically 10%. I don't get tipped for the service I provide for a living, but then I will also praise the staff to their face, which is always appreciated.

Equally if the service or product is crap I will offer constructive criticism. I don't think we do this enough in this country,and if we did, we would get a better deal x

over a year ago

I generally tip in a restaurant I don't tip in a coffee shop or if I'm out for breakfast. I've tipped on top where the service charge is included however in this country it's not really needed. Our minimum wage isn't that bad. In America tips are needed due to the fact that they don't get a living wage as a server.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I tip for a sit down meal. Especially if it’s good service sometimes even follow up with an email. I am often pleasantly surprised with what you get back when doing this.

If the service is rubbish I make it known though.

By *tella HeelsTV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

No it shouldn’t

Look if I was to sell you a car, the price included any profit I need to ensure overheads and wages are covered!

Can you imagine paying additional costs for services????

So the cost of food at bars and restaurants should be exactly the same, the proprietor should pay his staff adequate wages via his pricing

By *ulfilthmentMan
over a year ago

Just around the corner

Only if I can get a refund if the service or food is sub-standard.

over a year ago

It’s always discretionary

By *litterbabeWoman
over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

This country I don't think it should be included in anything, but when I have had good service in a restaurant I do tip. Not normally at a buffet style restaurant as I don't feel that there's any service past showing me to a table,

And not normally in a coffee shop for me as I just queue up, get my drink and leave.

If I get a cab I tend to just round it up to the next pound or two, and if I paid online in advance I don't tip extra.

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

I've never understood tipping. When you pay for a service you pay for the whole service. In a restaurant that means someone cooking and serving you food. Why should you pay extra for the service?

I wouldn't have an issue is tipping were rare and only given for exceptional service, but where its expected its bloody nonsense.

Just give an all in bill and pay the staff a decent wage.

over a year ago

"I’m sorry Shag, your avatar has me in fucking tears every time I see it. "
Ty pal, it is a good one too

over a year ago

I always tip- taxis, restaurants, hairdressers etc. Always have, always will. I do go to America on a regular basis so used to it anyway.

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

Uh uh, I don’t tip. No, I don’t believe in it. … Don’t give me that, if she don’t make enough money she can quit. … I don’t tip because society says I have to. All right, I mean I’ll tip if someone really deserves a tipping, if they really put forth the effort, I’ll give them something extra, but I mean this tipping automatically, it’s for the birds. I mean as far as I’m concerned they’re just doing their job. … She was okay. She wasn’t anything special. … Look I ordered coffee all right? Now we’ve been here a long fuckin’ time, she’s only filled my cup three times. When I order coffee I want it filled six times. … The words “too fuckin’ busy” shouldn’t be in a waitress’ vocabulary. … Jesus Christ, these ladies aren’t starving to death. They make minimum wage. I used to work minimum wage and when I did I wasn’t lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tip worthy. … You know what this is? It’s the world’s smallest violin playing just for the waitresses. … So is working at McDonald’s but you don’t feel the need to tip them do you? Well why not? They’re serving you food. But no, society says don’t tip these guys over here, but tip these guys over here. That’s bullshit. … Fuck all that. … I mean I’m very sorry the government taxes their tips. That’s fucked up. That ain’t my fault. I mean it would appear that waitresses are one of the many groups the government fucks in the ass on a regular basis. I mean show a piece of paper that says the government shouldn’t do that, I’ll sign it, put it to a vote, I’ll vote for it, but what I won’t do is play ball. And this non-college bullshit I got two words for that: learn to fucking type, ’cause if you’re expecting me to help out with the rent you’re in for a big fucking surprise.

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

I gave £5 to the lady selling the Big Issue outside Tesco at the weekend. I guess that counts as a “tip”.

Generally, I don’t understand it and generally just pay whatever the bill comes to.

I have never done a job which relied on tips to supplement my income, which probably explains why I don’t get it.

over a year ago

NO

over a year ago

i also dont get why people feel the need to tip a taxi or cab driver ..

there on 80% of the fare already.

over a year ago

"

Uh uh, I don’t tip. No, I don’t believe in it. … Don’t give me that, if she don’t make enough money she can quit. … I don’t tip because society says I have to. All right, I mean I’ll tip if someone really deserves a tipping, if they really put forth the effort, I’ll give them something extra, but I mean this tipping automatically, it’s for the birds. I mean as far as I’m concerned they’re just doing their job. … She was okay. She wasn’t anything special. … Look I ordered coffee all right? Now we’ve been here a long fuckin’ time, she’s only filled my cup three times. When I order coffee I want it filled six times. … The words “too fuckin’ busy” shouldn’t be in a waitress’ vocabulary. … Jesus Christ, these ladies aren’t starving to death. They make minimum wage. I used to work minimum wage and when I did I wasn’t lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tip worthy. … You know what this is? It’s the world’s smallest violin playing just for the waitresses. … So is working at McDonald’s but you don’t feel the need to tip them do you? Well why not? They’re serving you food. But no, society says don’t tip these guys over here, but tip these guys over here. That’s bullshit. … Fuck all that. … I mean I’m very sorry the government taxes their tips. That’s fucked up. That ain’t my fault. I mean it would appear that waitresses are one of the many groups the government fucks in the ass on a regular basis. I mean show a piece of paper that says the government shouldn’t do that, I’ll sign it, put it to a vote, I’ll vote for it, but what I won’t do is play ball. And this non-college bullshit I got two words for that: learn to fucking type, ’cause if you’re expecting me to help out with the rent you’re in for a big fucking surprise.

"

Wow, you're quite angry about all this... You could have just said no i don't tip.

I do tip as long as the service has been good, but I won't tip automatically. Really don't agree with it being automatically added to the bill.

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

"

Wow, you're quite angry about all this... You could have just said no i don't tip.

I do tip as long as the service has been good, but I won't tip automatically. Really don't agree with it being automatically added to the bill.

"

It's from a film.

over a year ago

"i also dont get why people feel the need to tip a taxi or cab driver ..

there on 80% of the fare already."

I only use Uber and no, they are not on 80% of the fare.

over a year ago

No. Pay for meal on card, tip individuals in cash.

over a year ago

"

It's from a film."

Doh, it bloody is as well, Mr Pink.

Well I'm sure your angry about something, I know I am.

By *estivalMan
over a year ago

borehamwood

no not fair to be included on the bill.have been out for meals in the past and had great service and had np prob tipping the waitress.on the other hand have been places and the staff need serious training on how to treat customers and they have got fuck all from me.so def should be wether you want to tip or not

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

"

It's from a film.

Doh, it bloody is as well, Mr Pink.

Well I'm sure your angry about something, I know I am. "

He convinced me

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

No! My coffee shop charges £7.70 for a cappuccino and slice of red velvet cake. At home my cappuccino and slice of red velvet cost 90p so they don't get jack more from me when I'm foolish enough to enter their establishment.

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman
over a year ago

your imagination

I tip if the service is above average... If not I don't.

Nobody tips me if I put in a mediocre day at the office

Service charge is a pet hate of mine as I worked in hospitality for many years, and despite what folk have said about it being shared evenly.. It isn’t! There are official 'rate bands' within service charge that determine what percentage each role working in an establishment gets.

It was also really frustrating seeing other members of staff who constantly just did the bare minimum, who would predictably pull sickies on busy occasions such as _estivals or high season weekends, or find excuses not to be able to take a shift on nights when there were big events on, getting a cut of what others had worked so hard to bring in.

If service is good, I'm a very generous tipper, if not, I won't tip, and am probably unlikely to ever return.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 04/12/18 20:04:53]

over a year ago

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

No

over a year ago

""

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I like to make my own mind up over whether to tip or not, it erks me that some places add it on automatically.

Post new Message to Thread