Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

R Weekends & Xmas ever enough?

Jump to newest

By *sianManc OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester

Afternoon all

I wondered if I'm alone in thinking that a 2 day weekend just isn't enough and a 3 day weekend is what we really need now in this day and age? Friday Saturday and Sunday.

Same with Christmas. Christmas eve is a running around time then 1 day for Christmas day and boom were back into a normal day of boxing day.

Should Christmas day now be 2 or 3 days long?

I'm pretty serious about this so is there any online petition site anyone can recommend would be fun to see if I'm not alone in this.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I’m all for extended holidays and weekends so I heartily agree with you OP!

over a year ago

I've read about a petition for shops to be closed on boxing day. I very much wish they would make it law. 2 days off work in the madness that is xmas.

And yes a 3 day weekend should be law too.

By *sianManc OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester

"I’m all for extended holidays and weekends so I heartily agree with you OP! "

Thank you for agreeing nice to get some support on this

By *sianManc OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester

"I've read about a petition for shops to be closed on boxing day. I very much wish they would make it law. 2 days off work in the madness that is xmas.

And yes a 3 day weekend should be law too. "

Thank you and really a petition ok I'll have to Google this.

I agree 2 or 3 days off for Xmas I feel in this day and age is needed for sure. Xmas day just goes so quickly and for many years now I've looked forward to it only to come and go quickly.

3 day weekend for sure too.

over a year ago

My daughter has to work either Christmas Eve or Boxing day and new years eve or new years day.

The show must go on.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

Just more for us that have to work on weekends and bank holidays to feel like we're missing out on.

Or, it may work in so much that we might actually get one of these extra days off, meaning we can actually see friends/family when they're also off.

over a year ago

I like it the way it is

over a year ago

I never work Xmas week. 24th to 2nd January I am on holiday. Not for religion. Just what I have always done

By *sianManc OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester

Exactly surely 1 extra day at the weekend and 1 extra day at Xmas can be fit into our modern day lifestyles.

Advancements in technology and increased more efficient economies but also stress.

Whereas a 2 day weekend worked in the past it doesn't any more and I feel just as strongly about 1 day off at Xmas. It's too quick.

If we can do it and make it work it would alleviate alot I feel in terms of health too

over a year ago

"Exactly surely 1 extra day at the weekend and 1 extra day at Xmas can be fit into our modern day lifestyles.

Advancements in technology and increased more efficient economies but also stress.

Whereas a 2 day weekend worked in the past it doesn't any more and I feel just as strongly about 1 day off at Xmas. It's too quick.

If we can do it and make it work it would alleviate alot I feel in terms of health too "

Who is going to do my work when I'm not there for this extra days holiday?

By *ildjianMan
over a year ago

London

How exactly does a two day weekend not work?

By *sianManc OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester

"How exactly does a two day weekend not work?"

Maybe it works for some but a 3 day weekend would work alot better for all.

By *ildjianMan
over a year ago

London

If you work Monday to Friday, you have a day off after the working week and a day off before starting the next.

How does that not work?

By *sianManc OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester

"If you work Monday to Friday, you have a day off after the working week and a day off before starting the next.

How does that not work?"

It works for some not for others. Everyone's lifestyles are different and needs and responsibilities are different.

When Sunday trading was not a reality a weekend consisted of 1 actual day off for all.

With greater consumerism rise in economic growth and tech we won't longer harder and in more stressful times but have a 2 working weekend for some.

3 days alleviates that pressure without losing on productivity.

3 day weekend should be the norm.

When we have a bank holiday weekend ie a 3 day weekend we then see that people actually feel as if they have had a weekend as well as a restful rejuvenating period.

A 3 day weekend is what we need.

over a year ago

What about all those that have to work shifts? Weekends? And Christmas? Be glad of what you get. Yes I think boxing day shops should be closed to give the workers day off but still doesn't help NHS workers, care workers nor hospitality industry

By *sianManc OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester

That's being said it doesn't mean we should forget the other half of this thread which is for a longer Xmas day.

Keep the Xmas eve and the boxing day but actually have Xmas mean something special and not just a 1 day break which is never enough.

over a year ago

I'm all for a 3 day weekend

And for the people that work shifts they should get 3 different days in a row each week.

2 days isn't enough.

If I had a cleaner and someone go do the boring stuff like food shopping and laundry - then 2 days would be OK.

But I need a third day just to relax!

By *sianManc OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester

"I'm all for a 3 day weekend

And for the people that work shifts they should get 3 different days in a row each week.

2 days isn't enough.

If I had a cleaner and someone go do the boring stuff like food shopping and laundry - then 2 days would be OK.

But I need a third day just to relax!

"

Omg exactly! This is how I feel about the weekend and Xmas.

As a kid growing up 2 day weekend were about enough but as an adult I don't feel it's anywhere near enough.

I may actually start and online petition for this.

Post new Message to Thread