Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Gentlemen/chivalry

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

We have a local handy man that clears the guttering etc he is coming around today to put up my Xmas outside lights on the house, he knows my hubby is abroad working and offered to do it he won’t take any money as he says it’s the right thing to do. Personally I think he’s being lovely a kind generous gentleman, I don’t want to get up a ladder etc. But in the modern world is this acceptable? As both sexes being equal ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I have a handy man too. He works for my dad.

I love it when he comes and does stuff for me, mainly because I’m not very good with a hammer or drill

Your local handy man sounds lovely

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

I think it’s a wonderful generous offer and that is the only way I would look at it

over a year ago

I think it's less to do about sexes being equal and more to do with him just being a nice guy.

I hope you get him biscuits to go with his cuppa!

over a year ago

i do a few jobs for a women who i used to go to school with, she has no partner but two kids, so anything too demanding or high up she asks me if i can do it, always happy to help, im rewarded with coffee as i never accept payment even though she offers it every time.

over a year ago

He’s either a very nice guy.

Or wants your festive pussay.

Or both!

My money is on both!

over a year ago

He's after something. People don't do that for nothing. He obviously knows your husband is away......

By *ily Con CarneTV/TS
over a year ago

Cornwall

Some will be cynical but there really is some nice helpful friendly people out there ...

over a year ago

I do that sort of stuff for my elderly neighbours

The guy used to build buses for a living so knows loads of useful stuff but he’s old and struggles to do stuff so he tells me what he needs to do and how he would do it so I learn how to do it for him

over a year ago

"We have a local handy man that clears the guttering etc he is coming around today to put up my Xmas outside lights on the house, he knows my hubby is abroad working and offered to do it he won’t take any money as he says it’s the right thing to do. Personally I think he’s being lovely a kind generous gentleman, I don’t want to get up a ladder etc. But in the modern world is this acceptable? As both sexes being equal ? "
that he does work for nothing, no,ladder work is risky even if he's used to it give him something

over a year ago

He’s just being a nice guy. It seems to be a bit of a dying art. We were in a shopping centre earlier in the week and an elderly lady had bought herself a dinner set. She came into the lift breathing heavily and struggling and had to rest it on the hand rail. I asked where her car was and carried it for her. So many others must have watched her struggle and not said anything. It’s sad

over a year ago

If I’m walking through a door and someone is two steps behind me, I will hold it open for them, doesn’t matter if man or woman, it’s just being polite... unless you self identify as a womxn. Then you can sort your self out and wouldn’t appreciate the gesture anyway as it would be the patriarchy showing dominance!

over a year ago

"We have a local handy man that clears the guttering etc he is coming around today to put up my Xmas outside lights on the house, he knows my hubby is abroad working and offered to do it he won’t take any money as he says it’s the right thing to do. Personally I think he’s being lovely a kind generous gentleman, I don’t want to get up a ladder etc. But in the modern world is this acceptable? As both sexes being equal ? "

Both sexes aren't equal and I'm glad of that fact

over a year ago

I think he just sounds a nice guy. I'm quite traditional in my ways, and I find I have always stuck to tradional roles with partners, I cook he takes the bins out etc.

I went on a recent social where the guy was a total gentleman, pulled my seat out for me opened the doors etc. I was totally swooning from them acts alone. What can I say I like a gentleman who treats me like a lady in public.

over a year ago

If it were a handy woman we wouldn’t be having this discussion, even if she wanted to do more than put your lights up.

He’s probably just being a nice guys. But even if he would like more out of it, surely that’s a compliment to you. And you have the right to say no.

Not every male on the planet is a rapist, sex pest, serial killer or Donald Trump.

Maybe he is just getting into the Christmas spirit.

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

Id love a handy man ... so many things I need doing ..

By *ruebameMan
over a year ago

from the womb and tryout to get back

Agent3 he is just been kind I do this for a few locals in my area because I have a ladder and training wouldn't want a woman to end up falling also do a few other jobs to help them out its just kindness and hate seeing people struggle or been ripped off

By *uryWhipMan
over a year ago

Harringay

Sounds like a nice guy, they do exist though I'd worry about the chivalry, i wouldnt want some bloke poncing my garden on a horse with a jousting stick. As for the equality side, theres nothing with getting sonething for free. I have a neighbour whos handy man. We have to ask him all the time for stuff and he always refuses payment. We tried to give him an expensive bottle of whiskey once and he refused it. His wife hates him doing things for us but i think he's diamond bloke.

over a year ago

The point I was trying to make was in the modern world is it acceptable for me to accept his kind offer or do I risk offending him by insisting he takes payment, I absolutely believe he hasn’t got another agenda, he does loads of work for us trimming bushes hedges etc. I like to believe we live in a world where gentlemen still exist x

over a year ago

"The point I was trying to make was in the modern world is it acceptable for me to accept his kind offer or do I risk offending him by insisting he takes payment, I absolutely believe he hasn’t got another agenda, he does loads of work for us trimming bushes hedges etc. I like to believe we live in a world where gentlemen still exist x"
I help people to but it's nice to be offered

over a year ago

"The point I was trying to make was in the modern world is it acceptable for me to accept his kind offer or do I risk offending him by insisting he takes payment, I absolutely believe he hasn’t got another agenda, he does loads of work for us trimming bushes hedges etc. I like to believe we live in a world where gentlemen still exist x"

Accept the offer agent..... Chivalry does still exist...

There's bugger all wrong with it and if I was being chivalrous.... Which is entirely possible.. And someone tried to claim equality I think I'd probably laugh at them and go and be chivalrous elsewhere.... I don't get why people would turn down help.. Male or female

over a year ago

People used to do kind things, without putting it on social media and telling everyone about it. He’s probably from that generation that don’t think it’s a big deal to help someone out.

By *VineMan
over a year ago

The right place

I think it’s great when people do things out of kindness. It’s fine to offer to pay him but if he refuses then graciously accept his kind act.

I think the best way to respond is to do something kind for someone else (pay it forward). If everyone did that the world would be a much nicer place.

over a year ago

If you’ve offer once and he’s said no, just say are you sure once again. If he’s said no again, don’t push it, just accept he wants to do it for nothing. He obviously gets pleasure from helping people out. Just thank him after obviously.

over a year ago

They do still exist!

Might be rare today, but there are still a few around.

I would suggest you don't offer to pay him, certainly a cuppa and biscuits! You could buy some cans or a bottle and give him as a thank you for his help during the year? Wrap it in Christmas paper as it's that time of year. Just shows you appreciate what he has done for you.

over a year ago

"I think it’s a wonderful generous offer and that is the only way I would look at it "

over a year ago

If he's retired then he's probably glad of something to do.

Accept his offer in the spirit it was given. If it were me I'd cook for him or something to repay the favour. And pay it forward.

Too much cynicism in these times, and people are internalised, once upon a time people had a support network in their neighbours, now we barely know who our neighbours are.

Such a shame.

I look out for the old couple across the road, will pop over and put their bins out, check in to see if they need anything from the shop when the weather is bad. Not a lot I know, but means a lot to them

By *alty2017Man
over a year ago

Stranraer

If you think he needs a reward you could always ask him to be your cameraman.

By *p4funCouple
over a year ago

Plymouth

"I think it’s a wonderful generous offer and that is the only way I would look at it "

This exactly

over a year ago

Might nip into the pub and put some drinks behind the bar for him, I know he likes his local ale and he goes there

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

A gentleman is just a patient Wolf. Probably wants to nail you and I can't blame him.

over a year ago

"We have a local handy man that clears the guttering etc he is coming around today to put up my Xmas outside lights on the house, he knows my hubby is abroad working and offered to do it he won’t take any money as he says it’s the right thing to do. Personally I think he’s being lovely a kind generous gentleman, I don’t want to get up a ladder etc. But in the modern world is this acceptable? As both sexes being equal ? A gentleman is just a patient Wolf. Probably wants to nail you and I can't blame him. "

over a year ago

"We have a local handy man that clears the guttering etc he is coming around today to put up my Xmas outside lights on the house, he knows my hubby is abroad working and offered to do it he won’t take any money as he says it’s the right thing to do. Personally I think he’s being lovely a kind generous gentleman, I don’t want to get up a ladder etc. But in the modern world is this acceptable? As both sexes being equal ? A gentleman is just a patient Wolf. Probably wants to nail you and I can't blame him. "

wow

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

You think he is doing it for the Susan Boyle lookalike down the road too? People don't graft for free without some kind of angle normally.

By *ackDanielsWhiteRabbitMan
over a year ago

Halifax

"Agent3 he is just been kind I do this for a few locals in my area because I have a ladder and training wouldn't want a woman to end up falling also do a few other jobs to help them out its just kindness and hate seeing people struggle or been ripped off "

Well said.

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Of course it's acceptable, don't be caught up in the PC BS that's ruining the world.

Genuine acts of kindness should be welcomed and enjoy it for what it is because in 5 years time he'll have to bring a woman a disabled person a foreign couple a lesbian a gay guy along to your house just so that he is seen to have given the same opportunity to clean your gutters for free

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

You can always pay him in kind. if he won't accept money, try getting him a few beers or a bottle of something at Christmas. That's of course if he drinks.

over a year ago

"I think it's less to do about sexes being equal and more to do with him just being a nice guy.

I hope you get him biscuits to go with his cuppa! "

I'd not responsible too much into it, I've fixed people's computers for them and not seemed anything back for, more that the offer is just that an offer of help.

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman
over a year ago

your imagination

Sounds marvellous OP, but then I've been lucky enough to grow up in a supportive community where people did this kind of thing all the time without even thinking about it.

I remember Christmas Days when our elderly neighbours were gone to have dinner with members of their family, my sister and I would be sent across the fields to their houses before it got dark to set and light their fires and turn on their porch lights so that they would return to warm, cosy homes that night.

Now, as I live alone, my neighbours check on me... Offer to split wood, clean gutters, rod drains, etc., I thank them and do the things myself anyway (why not when I'm capable?), but it's always good to know that those times when I'm unable to do some things (I recently spent 2 months on crutches), there are people who will be happy to help out

By *ily Con CarneTV/TS
over a year ago

Cornwall

"You think he is doing it for the Susan Boyle lookalike down the road too? People don't graft for free without some kind of angle normally. "

yes they do ...

By *enny PR9TV/TS
over a year ago

Southport

As my Grandma used to say......

It's nice to be important.

But it's more important to be nice.

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

"You think he is doing it for the Susan Boyle lookalike down the road too? People don't graft for free without some kind of angle normally.

yes they do ... "

Yeah and the overwhelming majority that do are women.

over a year ago

"You think he is doing it for the Susan Boyle lookalike down the road too? People don't graft for free without some kind of angle normally.

yes they do ... Yeah and the overwhelming majority that do are women."

wow you really are a piece of work

By *agermeisterMan
over a year ago

Leeds

"A gentleman is simply a patient wolf"

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

yes they do ... Yeah and the overwhelming majority that do are women.

wow you really are a piece of work "

Facts don't care about your feelings

over a year ago

I have a rule about free help. I offer to pay them on two occasions - before they do the work and afterwards in case they've changed their minds. If they refuse twice I mentally store the "debt" in my mind, then at Christmas they'll get something nice. My new-ish neighbour who has three times this year fixed a puncture on my wheelchair will get a case of Gentleman Jack. I can afford to get the punctures repaired professionally, and he can afford his own booze but that's not the point. He seems to enjoy helping, we have some great conversations about the old days and he's good laugh.

over a year ago

I think he is just been a gentleman, and it’s disappointing that people are suggesting he is after something else.

over a year ago

"People used to do kind things, without putting it on social media and telling everyone about it. He’s probably from that generation that don’t think it’s a big deal to help someone out.

"

Unless he’s filming himself... and finishes by patting her on the head?

over a year ago

wow you really are a piece of work Facts don't care about your feelings "

it’s not a fact though, you’re generalising, or making an assumption based on your own personal interactions with other guys.

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

wow you really are a piece of work Facts don't care about your feelings

it’s not a fact though, you’re generalising, or making an assumption based on your own personal interactions with other guys."

I think you will find if you look it is a statistical fact.

over a year ago

it’s not a fact though, you’re generalising, or making an assumption based on your own personal interactions with other guys. I think you will find if you look it is a statistical fact. "

where is your source to back said fact up please, im generally interested where you’ve read this now.

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

it’s not a fact though, you’re generalising, or making an assumption based on your own personal interactions with other guys. I think you will find if you look it is a statistical fact.

where is your source to back said fact up please, im generally interested where you’ve read this now."

Search for it yourself. There are numerous sources because women in general have more empathy than men.

over a year ago

it’s not a fact though, you’re generalising, or making an assumption based on your own personal interactions with other guys. I think you will find if you look it is a statistical fact.

where is your source to back said fact up please, im generally interested where you’ve read this now. Search for it yourself. There are numerous sources because women in general have more empathy than men. "

oooooh so you got it off the internet? Ok, i won’t comment anymore.

over a year ago

"The point I was trying to make was in the modern world is it acceptable for me to accept his kind offer or do I risk offending him by insisting he takes payment, I absolutely believe he hasn’t got another agenda, he does loads of work for us trimming bushes hedges etc. I like to believe we live in a world where gentlemen still exist x

I think it’s great when people do things out of kindness. It’s fine to offer to pay him but if he refuses then graciously accept his kind act.

I think the best way to respond is to do something kind for someone else (pay it forward). If everyone did that the world would be a much nicer place. "

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

How dare he be so nice, and to offer something like that, he obviously wants to get in to your knickers, have him arrested and charged.

Let him do it, if you want it done.

I'm sure he would settle for a thank you and a mince pie. #BeingNeighbourly

over a year ago

Chivalry isn't dead, not at all!

I like to think I'm a kind hearted soul and treat others with respect, so if I can do it - then I'm sure there are millions out there like me.

I'd take it as a polite offer and nothing more - he's just being a kind gentleman.

Post new Message to Thread