Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

modern living is killing the planet

Jump to newest

By *good-being-bad OP   Man
over a year ago

mis-types and auto corrects leads cock leeds

I had an afternoon of cleaning today. Mainly on my hands and knees scrubbing floors and manual labour.

I know modern conveniences allow folk to wash clothes while out at work etc vacuums instead of beating carpets ..it got me thinking that the labour saving devices all use a lot of electricity ..years ago folk kept things clean without these devices .. it seems the progress in labour saving devices seem to be part of the reason we're having climate change demanding more energy.

Would you sacrifice modern living iPad smart phones washing machines dishwashers your car etc to help save planet earth

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ngelina4uWoman
over a year ago

Camberley/Middleton

We all might have to in the future.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The planet will be fine, it’s us who are fucked.

over a year ago

within all these debates, many seem to miss the one, overriding issue. There are simply far too many human beings on the planet.

Everything else is actually a distraction because, unless we solve this one issue, the planet is doomed - and pretty quickly in relative terms.

Please go and research it if you don't believe this fact.

over a year ago

There is no chance of us killing the planet, slight chance that the universe may do it. But nothing known presently that pises any threat.

There is a chance we may become the fossil fuel that powers some future occupants vacuum cleaners though.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"I had an afternoon of cleaning today. Mainly on my hands and knees scrubbing floors and manual labour.

I know modern conveniences allow folk to wash clothes while out at work etc vacuums instead of beating carpets ..it got me thinking that the labour saving devices all use a lot of electricity ..years ago folk kept things clean without these devices .. it seems the progress in labour saving devices seem to be part of the reason we're having climate change demanding more energy.

Would you sacrifice modern living iPad smart phones washing machines dishwashers your car etc to help save planet earth "

Try telling that to the people here that use a fresh towel every time they shower and change their sheets every day!

over a year ago

"The planet will be fine, it’s us who are fucked. "

yes, we are fucked - no doubt - unfortunately we'll take the planet (certainly as we know it) with us. Once the human race is "fucked", just imagine the resulting devastation to all of Mother Nature when the world's nuclear reactors etc. do not get maintained - or the world's nuclear arsenal eventually corrodes and leaks - end of life - for everything.

over a year ago

"within all these debates, many seem to miss the one, overriding issue. There are simply far too many human beings on the planet.

Everything else is actually a distraction because, unless we solve this one issue, the planet is doomed - and pretty quickly in relative terms.

Please go and research it if you don't believe this fact."

Nope the planet is fine, it really doesn't need us to survive.

over a year ago

"within all these debates, many seem to miss the one, overriding issue. There are simply far too many human beings on the planet.

Nope the planet is fine, it really doesn't need us to survive."

of course it doesn't need us to survive - but if you think the planet is fine - absolutely no point debating with you i.e. we are destroying it - and relatively quickly now.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple
over a year ago

canterbury

[Removed by poster at 28/10/18 21:39:12]

By *anejohnkent6263Couple
over a year ago

canterbury

the planet is fine its the people on it ...if you keep breeding shit with shit guess what you end up with xx

By *arnsley guy100Man
over a year ago

Sheffield

Eventually.... Our planets going to engulfed by the sun once its used its own fuel up, swells up and expands to our reaches........ This is partly why their trying to get people to Mars, not just to live there but also as a stepping stone to go beyond.. In my opinion.. This will work and the human race will outlive planet earth.

over a year ago

Nope the planet is fine, it really doesn't need us to survive.

of course it doesn't need us to survive - but if you think the planet is fine - absolutely no point debating with you i.e. we are destroying it - and relatively quickly now."

No we are not, we are possibly making it temporarily inhospitable for humans and some other animals and plants. But the planet has been here for over 4 billion years and will probably be here in 2 trillion years when it may or may not collide with a star or planet from alpha centauri when that galaxy collides or combines with ours.

By *rincessvenusCouple
over a year ago

Hull

were doomed mr manering doomed i tell yea

over a year ago

My clothes would not get washed without a washing machine.

over a year ago

"My clothes would not get washed without a washing machine."

That's OK, you won't need clothes when there is no planet to stand on

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

Experimental Products consider song title rewrite.

over a year ago

"My clothes would not get washed without a washing machine.

That's OK, you won't need clothes when there is no planet to stand on "

I'll be dead in the ground by then.

I think pollution and a mutated virus will turn humans into zombie s and kill us all off.

over a year ago

"My clothes would not get washed without a washing machine.

That's OK, you won't need clothes when there is no planet to stand on

I'll be dead in the ground by then.

I think pollution and a mutated virus will turn humans into zombie s and kill us all off."

Maybe a infection in the future could wipe out vast numbers as drugs become less resistant.

Also some foods may have to be grown differently as the cavendish banana is already under threat from the Panama disease which renders the soil useless.

over a year ago

There are usually 2 misconceptions in these type if threads.

1st is that this planet needs humans at all.

2nd is that things used to be better.

Pollution in the U.K. was far worse 100 years ago than it is now, despite the population increase and number of cars on the road. Reducing it still more is a good thing, but probably won't make any difference to the environment changes.

Humans are the cause of global warming, we are not. We probably are an accelerator for it, and that will give us less time to adapt to it, but it has always been coming since modern humans evolved. (Other theories exist, if there are any creationists here).

Life will probably get uncomfortable in a few generations time. Pissing about with vacuum cleaner power consumption only changes a spreadsheet, it won't solve the issue.

Changing from fossil fuel to alternative sources won't stop it, but will be handy knowledge when the last dinosaur is burned.

Leaving the planet for another, ain't gonna happen.

Adjust, adapt, and push forward it's how we got here it's all we are good at.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I've made many sacrifices and need to make many more, as the people of the world do. It's important that governments take responsibility for strategic drive so that important changes are made quickly.

The UK government has moved away from renewable energy but at the same time encouraged fossil fuels ! On!shore wind farms vd cracking expansion.

We need to make those in charge pay for their harmful actions. It's clear that the right wing mantra of pushing for a small state is 100% not going to work in the publics good. Legislation and regulation with enforcement is needed, whilst citizens adjust to living differently, set free from rampant capitalist businesses etc that will destroy the world for the immediate benefit of a tiny elite that is happy to increase their wealth at any cost.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Humans are just a chapter in the planet's history.

over a year ago

Technology is the answer to creating a renewable energy and material future. It's also the best way to communicate and raise awareness about these issues.

A kid with an iPad with good software to help with Mathematics might go on to be a solar panel engineer. Or a synthetic Biologist.

If we are on about what the public can do to help - reducing the amount of meat in your diet will help. Medically speaking it seems we need some animal proteins in our diet, however, we did not evolve to consume the quantities of meat and dairy we eat in this day and age.

Public transport (it'd help if we got effective and good transport) or car sharing helps too.

In addition, actually leaving direct customer feedback to supermarkets around plastic usage in packaging, and providing vegetarian/vegan options seems to bring more options and reduces the price of some products.

over a year ago

"Humans are just a chapter in the planet's history."

All species are - however we, as far as we an tell, are the only abstract thinking and intelligent lifeforms in our solarsystem.

I'd argue we have an ethical responsibility to ourselves and the Natural Law of Evolution, to ensure that as a species with no rival to our intellectual abilities, we allow the propagation of our species.

over a year ago

"There are usually 2 misconceptions in these type if threads.

1st is that this planet needs humans at all.

2nd is that things used to be better.

Pollution in the U.K. was far worse 100 years ago than it is now, despite the population increase and number of cars on the road. Reducing it still more is a good thing, but probably won't make any difference to the environment changes.

Humans are the cause of global warming, we are not. We probably are an accelerator for it, and that will give us less time to adapt to it, but it has always been coming since modern humans evolved. (Other theories exist, if there are any creationists here).

Life will probably get uncomfortable in a few generations time. Pissing about with vacuum cleaner power consumption only changes a spreadsheet, it won't solve the issue.

Changing from fossil fuel to alternative sources won't stop it, but will be handy knowledge when the last dinosaur is burned.

Leaving the planet for another, ain't gonna happen.

Adjust, adapt, and push forward it's how we got here it's all we are good at. "

Couldn't have said it better, although, leaving the planet ain't gonna happen..never?

How was the expedition?

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

Planet population has doubled in my lifetime- my contribution to reducing impact was having the snip and producing no kids- i've also fitted energy saving bulbs in the house...i think i've given enough

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Humans are just a chapter in the planet's history.

All species are - however we, as far as we an tell, are the only abstract thinking and intelligent lifeforms in our solarsystem.

I'd argue we have an ethical responsibility to ourselves and the Natural Law of Evolution, to ensure that as a species with no rival to our intellectual abilities, we allow the propagation of our species."

In the grand scheme if things our intellectual abilities are irrelevant I think.

over a year ago

"Humans are just a chapter in the planet's history.

I'd argue we have an ethical responsibility to ourselves and the Natural Law of Evolution, to ensure that as a species with no rival to our intellectual abilities, we allow the propagation of our species.

In the grand scheme if things our intellectual abilities are irrelevant I think."

Possibly, but intelligence is something so odd to evolve. There's a reason most organisms are not as intelligent as us, intelligence doesn't help you survive usually.

It's an evolutionary phenomenon we should preserve.

over a year ago

You will always have people arguing in one camp.

And people in another.

Stalemate. means nothing gets done and problems only get worse

over a year ago

"Possibly, but intelligence is something so odd to evolve. There's a reason most organisms are not as intelligent as us, intelligence doesn't help you survive usually.

It's an evolutionary phenomenon we should preserve."

I think you may over rate human intelligence as an impact on the universe it's pretty inconsequential.

Post new Message to Thread