Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

MPG

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Advice needed please on what you would expect to get (MPG) from a large 2L diesel MPV that rarely does motorway miles.

I do lots of short journeys 6 days per week.

Anyone any idea or is this a 'how long is a piece of string ' question?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

30ish?

over a year ago

"30ish?"

Ah ok.

I'm getting 34-36 and thought it was quite low.

Have taken the back 5 seats out about a week ago to try and see if I can make it more economical, but haven't noticed a difference yet.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It all depends on make, model, condition of the engine, even tyres can make a difference. Lots of short journeys will drastically reduce your mpg tho, 35 ish is pretty good. If you took it for a decent motorway run that would go to 50+ in no time.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Diesel is great for long trips at constant speed, but they're not as efficient as a little petrol car if you just do short trips.

Also newer cars are generally more efficient.

Cal

over a year ago

"It all depends on make, model, condition of the engine, even tyres can make a difference. Lots of short journeys will drastically reduce your mpg tho, 35 ish is pretty good. If you took it for a decent motorway run that would go to 50+ in no time. "

48 is the most I have ever got on a trip down from Chester to Torquay. Had all the seats in then though. Using it as a van now though so don't need them in.

over a year ago

Do you need a 2 litre mpv? If you can live without the back seats then you could probably live with a smaller car. You’d get better mpg over short journeys with a small petrol.

over a year ago

"Diesel is great for long trips at constant speed, but they're not as efficient as a little petrol car if you just do short trips.

Cal"

Thank you. Yes, this is an ancient Espace. Love the car though and don't want to part with her

over a year ago

"Do you need a 2 litre mpv? If you can live without the back seats then you could probably live with a smaller car. You’d get better mpg over short journeys with a small petrol. "

I need the internal space yes, not the seating though.

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

Taking the seats out won’t make that much difference. Look on the bright side, if you’re only doing that short a distance it doesn’t really matter if you get 20mpg or 50mpg

over a year ago

"It all depends on make, model, condition of the engine, even tyres can make a difference. Lots of short journeys will drastically reduce your mpg tho, 35 ish is pretty good. If you took it for a decent motorway run that would go to 50+ in no time.

48 is the most I have ever got on a trip down from Chester to Torquay. Had all the seats in then though. Using it as a van now though so don't need them in.

"

Are you delivering parcels?

over a year ago

"Taking the seats out won’t make that much difference. Look on the bright side, if you’re only doing that short a distance it doesn’t really matter if you get 20mpg or 50mpg"

It does matter because I'm doing short journeys all day long.

over a year ago

"It all depends on make, model, condition of the engine, even tyres can make a difference. Lots of short journeys will drastically reduce your mpg tho, 35 ish is pretty good. If you took it for a decent motorway run that would go to 50+ in no time.

Are you delivering parcels? "

No Hun, transporting large dogs.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"Advice needed please on what you would expect to get (MPG) from a large 2L diesel MPV that rarely does motorway miles.

Anyone any idea or is this a 'how long is a piece of string ' question?"

25-30 ish

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"Diesel is great for long trips at constant speed, but they're not as efficient as a little petrol car if you just do short trips.

Cal

Thank you. Yes, this is an ancient Espace. Love the car though and don't want to part with her "

My espace, 3.5 petrol, gets around 26 mpg.

over a year ago

Mid 30’s MPG for 2l diesel is about right - the back seats will make a bit of a difference but not considerably.

How old is the vehicle?

By *adyinred696969Couple
over a year ago

Brecon

Marts Range Rover is a 2.5 diesel and he can get 30-32 out of it. My 2L Toyota gets about 35-45 depending on how its driven, Mart has a heavy right foot!

over a year ago

Cal

Thank you. Yes, this is an ancient Espace. Love the car though and don't want to part with her

My espace, 3.5 petrol, gets around 26 mpg."

You had an old focus requiring a windscreen last week.

over a year ago

Are you delivering parcels?

No Hun, transporting large dogs."

Ahh right, I was going to suggest buying an old milk float, perfect for parcel delivery in a small round.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Cal

You had an old focus requiring a windscreen last week. "

Still have. And a fiat panda. Would you like me to create Some kind of catalogue of vehicles i own just for you? Would you like me to list my many bicycles as well? Please help me to help you.

over a year ago

Cal

Still have. And a fiat panda. Would you like me to create Some kind of catalogue of vehicles i own just for you? Would you like me to list my many bicycles as well? Please help me to help you."

Yeah that would be great, cheers. What else have you got?

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Cal

Still have. And a fiat panda. Would you like me to create Some kind of catalogue of vehicles i own just for you? Would you like me to list my many bicycles as well? Please help me to help you.

Yeah that would be great, cheers. What else have you got?"

Just give me your address and I'll post out a laminated version. That way you can clean your spunk from the pages easily.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Taking the seat out or anything else you don't need will help loads. If you've a tow bar fitted you don't need take that off to. They Waugh a ton and relatively easy to take off just be careful with what wiring you cut. Nothing will help more than regular servicing though and by less miles than is recommended. Remember your not using it as it was ment ie doing loads of miles. As it's an old oil burner a tea cup full of petrol to a tank of diesel with also help massively but don't tell the redex ppl I told you that it's a secret. It makes them burn hotter and helps get rid of the crud not using it the right way will build up. however this shouldn't be done with a modern diesel....

over a year ago

Cal

Just give me your address and I'll post out a laminated version. That way you can clean your spunk from the pages easily. "

No problem, can you send photos of your collection of shit vehicles too, all laminated if you don’t mind.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Don't forget you'll need to refit all the seats for an mot test but it's perfectly legal not to have them in if you've no passenger.

over a year ago

"Taking the seats out won’t make that much difference. Look on the bright side, if you’re only doing that short a distance it doesn’t really matter if you get 20mpg or 50mpg"

Have you felt the weight of the seats from an espace. They are ridiculously heavy. If you want to improve the fuel economy I’d recommend making sure your tyres are at the correct pressure. Make sure the engine is well serviced including air and oil filters and if it’s got air conditioning, only use that when absolutely necessary.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Cal

Just give me your address and I'll post out a laminated version. That way you can clean your spunk from the pages easily.

No problem, can you send photos of your collection of shit vehicles too, all laminated if you don’t mind. "

Whatever floats your boat George.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"Taking the seats out won’t make that much difference. Look on the bright side, if you’re only doing that short a distance it doesn’t really matter if you get 20mpg or 50mpg

Have you felt the weight of the seats from an espace. They are ridiculously heavy. If you want to improve the fuel economy I’d recommend making sure your tyres are at the correct pressure. Make sure the engine is well serviced including air and oil filters and if it’s got air conditioning, only use that when absolutely necessary. "

Agreed. 3 of mine are in the shed.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"Don't forget you'll need to refit all the seats for an mot test but it's perfectly legal not to have them in if you've no passenger."

I haven't found that to be the case so far.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Cal

No problem, can you send photos of your collection of shit vehicles too, all laminated if you don’t mind. "

Fuckinel mate I'm a car geek but that's taking thing a step way to far

By *lueWonderMan
over a year ago

Preston.....ish

"Don't forget you'll need to refit all the seats for an mot test but it's perfectly legal not to have them in if you've no passenger."

Only seat required for the mot is the drivers one.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"Taking the seat out or anything else you don't need will help loads. If you've a tow bar fitted you don't need take that off to. They Waugh a ton and relatively easy to take off just be careful with what wiring you cut. Nothing will help more than regular servicing though and by less miles than is recommended. Remember your not using it as it was ment ie doing loads of miles. As it's an old oil burner a tea cup full of petrol to a tank of diesel with also help massively but don't tell the redex ppl I told you that it's a secret. It makes them burn hotter and helps get rid of the crud not using it the right way will build up. however this shouldn't be done with a modern diesel...."

I remember my old Trooper said in the handbook "Add no more than 20% petrol". For winter driving obviously, but really used to confuse the garage staff. I used to run that thing on veg oil, diesel, and petrol. It just didn't care what you fed it, it'd burn it.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"Don't forget you'll need to refit all the seats for an mot test but it's perfectly legal not to have them in if you've no passenger.

I haven't found that to be the case so far. "

Depends on the inspector. By rights they should be fitted as most have the seat belt fixings on them so part of the test. An mot is only ever 1 man's opinion. Take the same car to 3 different testers on the bounce and the same car will get different faults from them all. Obviously anything dangerous should show up on them all its the small things I'm talking about.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"Don't forget you'll need to refit all the seats for an mot test but it's perfectly legal not to have them in if you've no passenger.

Only seat required for the mot is the drivers one. "

No it really isn't

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"Taking the seat out or anything else you don't need will help loads. If you've a tow bar fitted you don't need take that off to. They Waugh a ton and relatively easy to take off just be careful with what wiring you cut. Nothing will help more than regular servicing though and by less miles than is recommended. Remember your not using it as it was ment ie doing loads of miles. As it's an old oil burner a tea cup full of petrol to a tank of diesel with also help massively but don't tell the redex ppl I told you that it's a secret. It makes them burn hotter and helps get rid of the crud not using it the right way will build up. however this shouldn't be done with a modern diesel....

I remember my old Trooper said in the handbook "Add no more than 20% petrol". For winter driving obviously, but really used to confuse the garage staff. I used to run that thing on veg oil, diesel, and petrol. It just didn't care what you fed it, it'd burn it. "

Old 1s will just don't try it on anything modernist and definitely nothing commen rail. Fuel pumps and injectors can write a car off before you even start paying for a good spanners man.

By *lueWonderMan
over a year ago

Preston.....ish

Depends on the inspector. By rights they should be fitted as most have the seat belt fixings on them so part of the test. An mot is only ever 1 man's opinion. Take the same car to 3 different testers on the bounce and the same car will get different faults from them all. Obviously anything dangerous should show up on them all its the small things I'm talking about."

This is true, but if seat is removed then the seat belt becomes a non testable item as it has no use. So then its a pass and advise in the non component advisory section ... Passenger seat missing at time of test.

It's ridiculous but that's the mot for you

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Depends on the inspector. By rights they should be fitted as most have the seat belt fixings on them so part of the test. An mot is only ever 1 man's opinion. Take the same car to 3 different testers on the bounce and the same car will get different faults from them all. Obviously anything dangerous should show up on them all its the small things I'm talking about.

This is true, but if seat is removed then the seat belt becomes a non testable item as it has no use. So then its a pass and advise in the non component advisory section ... Passenger seat missing at time of test.

It's ridiculous but that's the mot for you "

Again it will come down to the individual tester and his interpretation. In which case it's far simpler to chuck the damn things back in for it's test. Problem avoided.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Talking about my shit focus. Drove it 200 miles yesterday, barely any warm air through vents, temp needle in middle. Air lock in heater matrix, or bad thermostat?

over a year ago

"Taking the seat out or anything else you don't need will help loads. If you've a tow bar fitted you don't need take that off to. They Waugh a ton and relatively easy to take off just be careful with what wiring you cut. Nothing will help more than regular servicing though and by less miles than is recommended. Remember your not using it as it was ment ie doing loads of miles. As it's an old oil burner a tea cup full of petrol to a tank of diesel with also help massively but don't tell the redex ppl I told you that it's a secret. It makes them burn hotter and helps get rid of the crud not using it the right way will build up. however this shouldn't be done with a modern diesel....

I remember my old Trooper said in the handbook "Add no more than 20% petrol". For winter driving obviously, but really used to confuse the garage staff. I used to run that thing on veg oil, diesel, and petrol. It just didn't care what you fed it, it'd burn it. "

I used to put all kinds of stuff in my old discovery 300tdi usually half a tank of diesel from the pump and then top it up with filtered chip oil or engine oil and it ran brilliantly.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"Talking about my shit focus. Drove it 200 miles yesterday, barely any warm air through vents, temp needle in middle. Air lock in heater matrix, or bad thermostat?"

1.8 tddi? Possibly water pump fins rotten or thermostat even a slowish water leak and it's at low level. Heaters 1st to go to protect engine. What ever get it checked and if that needle gets even close to hot stop. A head gasket will write it off for you.

over a year ago

"Talking about my shit focus. Drove it 200 miles yesterday, barely any warm air through vents, temp needle in middle. Air lock in heater matrix, or bad thermostat?"

Have you checked the water/coolant level, could just need topping up.

over a year ago

Depends on the inspector. By rights they should be fitted as most have the seat belt fixings on them so part of the test. An mot is only ever 1 man's opinion. Take the same car to 3 different testers on the bounce and the same car will get different faults from them all. Obviously anything dangerous should show up on them all its the small things I'm talking about."

on the middle and back seats the seat belts are integral to the seats on the espace. Remove the seat the belt goes with it therefore nothing to test

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Depends on the inspector. By rights they should be fitted as most have the seat belt fixings on them so part of the test. An mot is only ever 1 man's opinion. Take the same car to 3 different testers on the bounce and the same car will get different faults from them all. Obviously anything dangerous should show up on them all its the small things I'm talking about. on the middle and back seats the seat belts are integral to the seats on the espace. Remove the seat the belt goes with it therefore nothing to test"

Stop being so blasted padantic ya moo. I was talking in general but even so the testers opinion is all that matter and still not worth the hassle of not putting them back if you have them.

By *tirluvMan
over a year ago

the right frame of mind -London

It's threads like this that make me wonder what the hell you are posting on motoring forums

over a year ago

Thank you everyone for your input, I have learned a lot!

Maybe she isn't as heavy on fuel as I thought.

I do have good Tyres and her engine is well looked after.

She is very old now (2005) and has many miles on her clock but I really love her.

Incidentally, I know nothing about the MOT test, however in the ten years I've had her I have only once had the rear 5 seats in for the MOT.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"It's threads like this that make me wonder what the hell you are posting on motoring forums"

Now that's where the real filth go's. Cam shafts double overhead cams dpfs ergs ecus. Oops think I just cum a little

By *tella HeelsTV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

35-40

By *tella HeelsTV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

"Advice needed please on what you would expect to get (MPG) from a large 2L diesel MPV that rarely does motorway miles.

Well I get 35 ish in my large Mercedes 4x4 with 3.0 litre turbocharge engine

You should improve on that

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Late 20"s early 30"s if you're lucky.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"Talking about my shit focus. Drove it 200 miles yesterday, barely any warm air through vents, temp needle in middle. Air lock in heater matrix, or bad thermostat?

1.8 tddi? Possibly water pump fins rotten or thermostat even a slowish water leak and it's at low level. Heaters 1st to go to protect engine. What ever get it checked and if that needle gets even close to hot stop. A head gasket will write it off for you."

1.8tdi. I was thinking water pump. Then i thought "well its due a cam belt, could get it done at the same time". Then i thought "fuck that, I'll wear a woolly hat!".

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"Talking about my shit focus. Drove it 200 miles yesterday, barely any warm air through vents, temp needle in middle. Air lock in heater matrix, or bad thermostat?

1.8 tddi? Possibly water pump fins rotten or thermostat even a slowish water leak and it's at low level. Heaters 1st to go to protect engine. What ever get it checked and if that needle gets even close to hot stop. A head gasket will write it off for you.

1.8tdi. I was thinking water pump. Then i thought "well its due a cam belt, could get it done at the same time". Then i thought "fuck that, I'll wear a woolly hat!". "

Its a tddi. Turbo diesel direct injection. Tdci turbo diesel commenrail injection. Sorry but your Mrs started the padantic shit .

You'll get a full timing belt kit for 90 quid water pump 50ish. You may even find them together on eBay cheaper. From what you've told me you'll be able to do it yourself and I can send you a step by step. You said it was a good 1 so this is way more important than your screen.

Post new Message to Thread