Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Slow Cooker Season

Jump to newest

By *izzy Rascall OP   Man
over a year ago

Cardiff

Mines out the cupboard. Dusted off and cleaned.

I threw a load of herbs and S+P on my chopping board, rubbed the beef in oil, rolled it in every last crumb of seasoning and seared it.

Put it in the crock pot this time yesterday with onions, carrots, few litres of beef stock, garlic, red wine stock and have only just turned it on.

6-7 hours on low/medium.

It's going to be banging. Roasties, Yorkshires, few greens, honey glazed carrots, the most tender joint of Beef and the most incredible gravy known to man.

I will strain the liquid before boiling it aggressively in a wide pan which will reduce it into a beautiful glossy gravy.

For the little effort involved the rewards are huge.

What a way to start the Slow Cooker Season 2018/19 off.

All I have to do now is try and leave it alone, look but don't touch!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

Ooh that sounds great, I love my slow cooker.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Mines out the cupboard. Dusted off and cleaned.

I threw a load of herbs and S+P on my chopping board, rubbed the beef in oil, rolled it in every last crumb of seasoning and seared it.

Put it in the crock pot this time yesterday with onions, carrots, few litres of beef stock, garlic, red wine stock and have only just turned it on.

6-7 hours on low/medium.

It's going to be banging. Roasties, Yorkshires, few greens, honey glazed carrots, the most tender joint of Beef and the most incredible gravy known to man.

I will strain the liquid before boiling it aggressively in a wide pan which will reduce it into a beautiful glossy gravy.

All I have to do now is try and leave it alone, look but don't touch!"

I wish I had thought of that. We have a brand new, virgin slow cooker and a lamb joint in the fridge for today's roast.

I've just remembered I forgot the carrots.

over a year ago

Cardiff

I don't like the root veg that I put in for the beef to sit on. They remind me of stew. So I just make new.

I have in the past just put my hand blender into the pot to whizz up before reducing in the pan but nah not today. I find the gravy not beef enough but veggie instead.

I still don't believe you can cook beef in the crock pot and get a better result than the oven. But it's true. I will never oven cook beef again.

I like slicing the beef about 1cm thick as well. Might pop it in the oven for 10 min before resting it for 30 min.

By *VineMan
over a year ago

The right place

I’ve been using mine for the last few weeks. I love a beef in ale or coq au vin in the slow cooker. The meat is so tender.

By *tephanjMan
over a year ago

Kettering

I have a slow cooker but I just don't know how to use it

over a year ago

Cardiff

Mine was a gift and I think it's the biggest 'crock pot' that they do and thus it takes up a lot of space. Wether that's on the work top of drying off on the draining board.

I'm being picky and it was a gift but that's the only negative I have with it

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

I love my slow cooker. I just need to experiment more with recipes.

over a year ago

Cardiff

"I have a slow cooker but I just don't know how to use it "

Google / YouTube. Start with beef, you can't go wrong really.

You have one of the best bits of equipment any kitchen can have.

I learned to cook on an Aga which is the ultimate in slow cookers but this just simplifies it

over a year ago

Cardiff

"I love my slow cooker. I just need to experiment more with recipes. "

Maybe this winter I will try to make bread in it. Imagine that? Waking up to that smell wafting round the house

By *ightkitty4uWoman
over a year ago

Epsom

I love my slow cooker... won it in a raffle gave it to my Nan as I was young and hadn’t discovered the joys... nan died I then claimed it back, now I cook with love ??

But yes do need to use it more experiment more, anyone recommend a cook slow cooker cook book?

over a year ago

Cardiff

"I love my slow cooker... won it in a raffle gave it to my Nan as I was young and hadn’t discovered the joys... nan died I then claimed it back, now I cook with love ??

But yes do need to use it more experiment more, anyone recommend a cook slow cooker cook book? "

I collect cook books. I buy £30 books for £3 it's great plus looks amazing on my shelf.

I still use Google or YouTube more though.

over a year ago

I have a join of beef in the slow cooker right now. I'm off out to pick my eldest son up later and bring him home for a few hours to his Mums home cooked dinner. It's one of the reasons he loves visiting home

over a year ago

Cardiff

"I have a join of beef in the slow cooker right now. I'm off out to pick my eldest son up later and bring him home for a few hours to his Mums home cooked dinner. It's one of the reasons he loves visiting home "

Ha that moment you come home later with your Son and you open the door and the smell gets you straight away.

over a year ago

Yeah I’m using mine today - Beef Rendang - it’ll be in there for 6/7 hours - can’t wait for dinner!!

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I use mine most of the year.

Have some tenderloins ready to go today.

By *rimson_RoseWoman
over a year ago

Tamworth

I need to get one, left the old one with the ex!

over a year ago

Cardiff

"Yeah I’m using mine today - Beef Rendang - it’ll be in there for 6/7 hours - can’t wait for dinner!!"

Do you need to stir fry anything first or you just put it in and leave it?

By *p4funCouple
over a year ago

Plymouth

Slow cooker never goes away i love it frees up my time

over a year ago

Cardiff

"I need to get one, left the old one with the ex!"

If you got the cat do a straight swap.

Sorry Cat.

over a year ago

Slow cook in the oven or range. If you have an Aga it is amazing at a slow cook just like good sex slow and wait for an amazing end!

over a year ago

Now I'm hungry

over a year ago

Cardiff

I'm sure I saw Tesco selling a 'Crock Pot' for £18 reduced from £23.

Not sure on size but it's a decent price if you wanted to get one.

By *uck-RogersMan
over a year ago

Tarka trail

Thursday was my first beef stew of the winter, in my slow cooker. Scrumptious with a nice fresh loaf.

By *rimson_RoseWoman
over a year ago

Tamworth

"I need to get one, left the old one with the ex!

If you got the cat do a straight swap.

Sorry Cat."

If I'd got the cat, it'd be going straight back!

over a year ago

I love my slow cooker, I now cook all joints of meat in there including chicken and finish them off in the oven.

I cook soups in there, stews and casseroles, bolognaise, and so on.

It saves standing in the kitchen faffing and stirring things unnecessarily. The house always smells good, and by the time its tea time I proper fancy tea and as I haven't spent all day frigging about its a treat and not a chore

over a year ago

"Yeah I’m using mine today - Beef Rendang - it’ll be in there for 6/7 hours - can’t wait for dinner!!

Do you need to stir fry anything first or you just put it in and leave it?"

I used to brown the beef first and then chuck it in but no, I find the flavour of the beef improves if I just chuck it all in together and stick it on medium

over a year ago

Cardiff

"Yeah I’m using mine today - Beef Rendang - it’ll be in there for 6/7 hours - can’t wait for dinner!!

Do you need to stir fry anything first or you just put it in and leave it?

I used to brown the beef first and then chuck it in but no, I find the flavour of the beef improves if I just chuck it all in together and stick it on medium "

That's interesting as most things I have seen or watched tell you to sear it first etc.

What you have described simplifies it further with amazing results it seems.

over a year ago

Cardiff

"I love my slow cooker, I now cook all joints of meat in there including chicken and finish them off in the oven.

It saves standing in the kitchen faffing and stirring things unnecessarily. The house always smells good, and by the time its tea time I proper fancy tea and as I haven't spent all day frigging about its a treat and not a chore "

Do you use books or look online?

over a year ago

"I love my slow cooker, I now cook all joints of meat in there including chicken and finish them off in the oven.

It saves standing in the kitchen faffing and stirring things unnecessarily. The house always smells good, and by the time its tea time I proper fancy tea and as I haven't spent all day frigging about its a treat and not a chore

Do you use books or look online?"

Online mostly I use an app I've downloaded - yummly - it has recipes from anywhere and everywhere. Not all are specifically slow cooker recipes the soups for example give you hob instructions - but at the point you've got all ingredients in one pot I chuck it in the slow cooker on a low heat all day never had any disasters. Beef stifado again comes out delicious but is a hob method.

over a year ago

"Yeah I’m using mine today - Beef Rendang - it’ll be in there for 6/7 hours - can’t wait for dinner!!"

A good rendang might be my favourite food.

over a year ago

Can you cook a whole fresh chicken in a slow cooker?

over a year ago

Cardiff

Online mostly I use an app I've downloaded - yummly - it has recipes from anywhere and everywhere. Not all are specifically slow cooker recipes the soups for example give you hob instructions - but at the point you've got all ingredients in one pot I chuck it in the slow cooker on a low heat all day never had any disasters. Beef stifado again comes out delicious but is a hob method. "

I like the online method but fun hell there's so much American.

X4 Quartz

X6 Cups

Just stop it right now Americans.

Use ounces and ml's please.

I'll put up with 'Cillantro' and what not but use real measurements. It saves converting things.

over a year ago

"Can you cook a whole fresh chicken in a slow cooker? "

Yes, 100ml of water, a couple of carrots sliced long ways, a couple of onions sliced, pop chicken on top, I slice the skin open and tear apart and season. Leave 5-6hours, transfer to oven for 30mins to brown as it looks a little anaemic. Tastes delicious. Then I strain the juice in the slow cooker to remove the onion and carrot and use the juices for gravy.

over a year ago

Cardiff

"Can you cook a whole fresh chicken in a slow cooker? "

I believe so.

I haven't though but someone above does and finishes it in the oven. Amazing crispy skin I imagine and meat that just falls off the bone.

'Moistest' chicken I ever cooked was when it was sat up right on half a can of budweiser.

Beer can chicken

over a year ago

Online mostly I use an app I've downloaded - yummly - it has recipes from anywhere and everywhere. Not all are specifically slow cooker recipes the soups for example give you hob instructions - but at the point you've got all ingredients in one pot I chuck it in the slow cooker on a low heat all day never had any disasters. Beef stifado again comes out delicious but is a hob method.

I like the online method but fun hell there's so much American.

X4 Quartz

X6 Cups

Just stop it right now Americans.

Use ounces and ml's please.

I'll put up with 'Cillantro' and what not but use real measurements. It saves converting things."

I can't stand that either, but its rare I come across that on the app I use, many recipes are from Jamie Oliver, bbc good food, and so on - so no conversion needed thankfully as I say the less faffing needed the better in my opinion

over a year ago

I use mine at least 4 times a week. Do everything in it. Curry, chilli, casserole, meat joints! So much easier

over a year ago

"Can you cook a whole fresh chicken in a slow cooker?

Yes, 100ml of water, a couple of carrots sliced long ways, a couple of onions sliced, pop chicken on top, I slice the skin open and tear apart and season. Leave 5-6hours, transfer to oven for 30mins to brown as it looks a little anaemic. Tastes delicious. Then I strain the juice in the slow cooker to remove the onion and carrot and use the juices for gravy. "

Cheers, I'm going to do that right now.

By *inkershoes69Woman
over a year ago

maidstone

Have gammon and apple in mine today

over a year ago

"I have a slow cooker but I just don't know how to use it "

Try reading the instructions

By *affquestCouple
over a year ago

Rotherham

Lamb shanks are amazing in the slow cooker. Marinade in mint and put some rosemary and red currant jelly in the stock. Delicious

over a year ago

I love my slow cooker and use it all year round, switching it on when I go to work to come home to table ready yumminess.

From stews, casseroles, to teriyaki chicken. There's so many things to make in it I've yet to try.

Can't beat coming home to warm comforting food after spending all day out in the weather.

over a year ago

"Have gammon and apple in mine today "

Nice. I stick a gammon in and pour a can of Coke over it and leave it all day. It’s lovely

over a year ago

Cardiff

"Have gammon and apple in mine today "

I've done Pork and Cider but found the gravy to almost be fizzy on my tongue and didn't like it.

I don't think it burns the alcohol out of the booze but there's bound to be a way around it.

That way I can do a Beef and Ale as mentioned above.

By *nsatiable Needy BratWoman
over a year ago

Here and There

I love my slow cooker. I bought an extra bowl for it last year that is divided into two separate compartments so I can cook two things at once. It's fantastic.

over a year ago

Cardiff

"I love my slow cooker. I bought an extra bowl for it last year that is divided into two separate compartments so I can cook two things at once. It's fantastic. "

say what?

What a brilliant idea. They both fit in side by side?

over a year ago

What! I use mine all year round, had it since 1986 and it's still going strong, best present my parents ever bought me.

Today it's chuck steak with peppers and Portobello mushrooms cooked in tin if plum tomatoes!

over a year ago

Here and There

"I love my slow cooker. I bought an extra bowl for it last year that is divided into two separate compartments so I can cook two things at once. It's fantastic.

say what?

What a brilliant idea. They both fit in side by side?"

It really is great.

No, it's just one completely separate dish that has a thick middle part inside so it slots in the same as the normal dish that came with it does but allows you to do two separate dishes at the same time.

over a year ago

My son doesn't want dinner until this evening so I'm going to put the lamb in the slow cooker.

over a year ago

"I love my slow cooker. I bought an extra bowl for it last year that is divided into two separate compartments so I can cook two things at once. It's fantastic. "

I've just seen a professional slow cooker that has 3 compartments.

By *he riverdeep69Couple
over a year ago

North west ish

Beef in ale already on. Pulled pork tomorrow. I would be lost without my slow cooker.

over a year ago

Cardiff

"My son doesn't want dinner until this evening so I'm going to put the lamb in the slow cooker. "

Is the lamb on the bone? There's real flavour and goodness in them bones.

Morrisons sell bones. I suppose for your dog but I need to buy some. Even If I freeze them. The marrow inside would be amazing in a meal like this.

The gravy would somehow elevate to another level again.

over a year ago

Cardiff

"Beef in ale already on. Pulled pork tomorrow. I would be lost without my slow cooker."

Do you bubble the ale first to get rid of the alcohol? Reduce it a bit

I used cider before and could taste it and the bubbles. It wasn't right.

over a year ago

Here and There

"I love my slow cooker. I bought an extra bowl for it last year that is divided into two separate compartments so I can cook two things at once. It's fantastic.

I've just seen a professional slow cooker that has 3 compartments."

That would be almost half a weeks cooking done in just one day! Two days of cooking and eat out one day and that would be the whole week sorted! Where can I get one?

over a year ago

I have never used a slow cooker

over a year ago

Cardiff

"I have never used a slow cooker "

For the litter effort required the rewards are huge.

They are an investment. Probably some good deals around too

over a year ago

"I have never used a slow cooker

They are an investment. Probably some good deals around too "

Almost pointless now as it will only be me again soon lol

over a year ago

Cardiff

Almost pointless now as it will only be me again soon lol"

Perhaps even more reason to get one as you throw the shit in and walk away. Mines almost too big but you can get much smaller ones.

over a year ago

"Can you cook a whole fresh chicken in a slow cooker?

Yes, 100ml of water, a couple of carrots sliced long ways, a couple of onions sliced, pop chicken on top, I slice the skin open and tear apart and season. Leave 5-6hours, transfer to oven for 30mins to brown as it looks a little anaemic. Tastes delicious. Then I strain the juice in the slow cooker to remove the onion and carrot and use the juices for gravy.

Cheers, I'm going to do that right now."

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

6-7 hours on low/medium.

All I have to do now is try and leave it alone, look but don't touch!"

I'm on my way!!

over a year ago

I use my slow cooker all year round. Can even do jacket potato in there x

over a year ago

Almost pointless now as it will only be me again soon lol

Perhaps even more reason to get one as you throw the shit in and walk away. Mines almost too big but you can get much smaller ones."

I don't need any more excuses to over eat

over a year ago

Perfect time to get one, just get a smaller one.

We have a large one there's 6 of us, but I often end up with leftovers I cool them, freeze them and when this lot have something for tea I don't eat, I simply reheat the leftovers in a saucepan.

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Batch cook, freeze the other portions in plastic containers for a fast and healthy ready meal, 10minutes in microwave to table when you are in a rush or don't want to cook. I live alone and do this all the time. Works out cheaper too. xx

over a year ago

You can get tiny little ones, also if you had a normal size one, you could portion and freeze the remainder as a ready meal for another day, batch cooking is great.

over a year ago

Feel free to add a recipe each to the thread....

Bookmarked

over a year ago

Cardiff

6-7 hours on low/medium.

I'm on my way!! "

Bring the dessert with you.

I don't need any of those Heston, exploding, gold leaf, £10 fancy ass things from Waitrose.

I'm more of a Vienetta man myself

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

I'm doing chicken and chunky veggie stew in mine today.

Nom Nom Nom.

over a year ago

"Feel free to add a recipe each to the thread....

Bookmarked "

1/2cup soy sauce

1/2 cup honey

1/4 cup water

2tbsp cornflour(mixed in the water)

1tbsp sesame oil

1/4 tsp chilli flakes

1/2 tsp ginger

1/2 tsp garlic

1/2 cup onions

Chicken of your choice for 2-4 people ( I use frozen breast strips mostly for ease and Chuck them in frozen) depending on how saucy you like it, if the sauce doesn't thicken up enough add more cornflour (mixed with water) at the end.

I cook it on high for 3 1/2 hours while I'm at work.

Add what you like, bamboo shoots, beansprouts (at the end) spring onions.

Garnish with spring onion and sesame seeds.

over a year ago

"I have a join of beef in the slow cooker right now. I'm off out to pick my eldest son up later and bring him home for a few hours to his Mums home cooked dinner. It's one of the reasons he loves visiting home

Ha that moment you come home later with your Son and you open the door and the smell gets you straight away."

That's it exactly, yum yum.

over a year ago

Anyone tried making a Cooked Breakfast?

Put it all in the night before, sausages upright against the side, bacon rolled up and against the side, this way they will brown. 1 cup with beans in, 1 cup with tomatoes in, 1 cup with mushrooms and a knob of butter, 1 cup with whisked egg. Switch it on low before you go to bed, and voila!!!! All you need to do is give the cups a stir and make the toast

over a year ago

Cardiff

My beef was amazing didn't shrink much carrots with a bit of carrot left in them but finished with butter and honey crispy fluffy roasties perfectly risen Yorkshires with the most amazing gravy ever.

Hope yours was as good as mine

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

6-7 hours on low/medium.

I'm on my way!!

I don't need any of those Heston, exploding, gold leaf, £10 fancy ass things from Waitrose.

I'm more of a Vienetta man myself "

I have a mint one in the freezer...

over a year ago

Cardiff

6-7 hours on low/medium.

I'm on my way!!

I have a mint one in the freezer... "

Nun that's weird stuff. Chocolate and mint?

As a species we need to work out what we are doing with mint.

Put it with vinegar, throw it on lamb.

Put it in toothpaste and freshen your breath.

Put it with chocolate so it's sweet? Nah, it shouldn't work but it does, just not for me.

Original Vienetta if you don't mind, Thank You

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

[Removed by poster at 28/10/18 16:40:12]

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

6-7 hours on low/medium.

I'm on my way!!

Put it with chocolate so it's sweet? Nah, it shouldn't work but it does, just not for me.

Original Vienetta if you don't mind, Thank You"

Pfffttt I'll make a Victoria sponge then.

over a year ago

Cardiff

I'm a snob when it comes to Vienetta and Coffee. None of that Asda own brand in my cupboards

over a year ago

Cardiff

6-7 hours on low/medium.

I'm on my way!!

Pfffttt I'll make a Victoria sponge then. "

Get in there

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

6-7 hours on low/medium.

I'm on my way!!

Pfffttt I'll make a Victoria sponge then.

Get in there "

Post new Message to Thread