Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Why?

Jump to newest

By *icecouple561 OP   Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

When the clocks go back or forwards does it happen at 2am? Why not midnight?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *SAchickWoman
over a year ago

Hillside desolate

I don't know, it's a bit annoying because when you wake up in the morning and check the time you're not sure if the clock has automatically taken the hour into account or not.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Think originally it was to do with clubs and licensing laws as used to shut at /

over a year ago

Sorry 2

By *VxrMan
over a year ago

Newton le Willows

"Think originally it was to do with clubs and licensing laws as used to shut at / "

When I used to run a bar that shut at 2 every year there'd be some clown arguing that it was now only actually 1 & trying to get another drink. Get to fuck mate I've been here since 10 this morning was the standard reply haha

over a year ago

"Think originally it was to do with clubs and licensing laws as used to shut at / "
Yeah I think your correct.Mon -Thurs here,closing time is 11.30pm but Fri & Saturday it's 12.30a.m..So yrs ago it was causing a bit of a hullabaloo when the clocks went back at 12.01 a.m if it was a Fri or Sat Ah the good old day's Think that's why.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I don't know, it's a bit annoying because when you wake up in the morning and check the time you're not sure if the clock has automatically taken the hour into account or not."

We put all our manually operated time pieces back before we go to bed. Neither of us can ever remember if the central heating adjusts itself or not and I drive round with my car clock an hour out for months

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Was it? I didn't know that. I do remember everything closing at 2am on a saturday and Sunday morning though.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Think originally it was to do with clubs and licensing laws as used to shut at /

When I used to run a bar that shut at 2 every year there'd be some clown arguing that it was now only actually 1 & trying to get another drink. Get to fuck mate I've been here since 10 this morning was the standard reply haha"

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Think originally it was to do with clubs and licensing laws as used to shut at / Yeah I think your correct.Mon -Thurs here,closing time is 11.30pm but Fri & Saturday it's 12.30a.m..So yrs ago it was causing a bit of a hullabaloo when the clocks went back at 12.01 a.m if it was a Fri or Sat Ah the good old day's Think that's why."

I've done (admittedly not very thorough) internet search and can only find that its when British summertime officially ends.

over a year ago

"When the clocks go back or forwards does it happen at 2am? Why not midnight?"
think the object is for it to be the least noticeable possible many are in bed asleep by that time

over a year ago

Excellent just reminded me

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"When the clocks go back or forwards does it happen at 2am? Why not midnight?think the object is for it to be the least noticeable possible many are in bed asleep by that time "

But we still need to change the clocks at some point. I agree that doing it in the middle of the day would be inconvenient though..

over a year ago

"Think originally it was to do with clubs and licensing laws as used to shut at / Yeah I think your correct.Mon -Thurs here,closing time is 11.30pm but Fri & Saturday it's 12.30a.m..So yrs ago it was causing a bit of a hullabaloo when the clocks went back at 12.01 a.m if it was a Fri or Sat Ah the good old day's Think that's why.

I've done (admittedly not very thorough) internet search and can only find that its when British summertime officially ends. "

Your correct.Officially ye've British Summer Time,we've Irish Standard Time,same thing,different name,think we adopted it around 1916 & just stayed with it since.Tbh it's a pain in the arse

over a year ago

"When the clocks go back or forwards does it happen at 2am? Why not midnight?think the object is for it to be the least noticeable possible many are in bed asleep by that time

But we still need to change the clocks at some point. I agree that doing it in the middle of the day would be inconvenient though.."

many clocks change automatically these days but yes if you have a few manuals it's a pain, all that turning

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Think originally it was to do with clubs and licensing laws as used to shut at / Yeah I think your correct.Mon -Thurs here,closing time is 11.30pm but Fri & Saturday it's 12.30a.m..So yrs ago it was causing a bit of a hullabaloo when the clocks went back at 12.01 a.m if it was a Fri or Sat Ah the good old day's Think that's why.

I've done (admittedly not very thorough) internet search and can only find that its when British summertime officially ends. Your correct.Officially ye've British Summer Time,we've Irish Standard Time,same thing,different name,think we adopted it around 1916 & just stayed with it since.Tbh it's a pain in the arse "

So is it a meteorological thing? Or just an arbitrary time set by the powers that be?

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"When the clocks go back or forwards does it happen at 2am? Why not midnight?think the object is for it to be the least noticeable possible many are in bed asleep by that time

But we still need to change the clocks at some point. I agree that doing it in the middle of the day would be inconvenient though..many clocks change automatically these days but yes if you have a few manuals it's a pain, all that turning "

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I ain't putting my clock back for anyone, do you realise it was 04:27 when I decided to take this pic

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I ain't putting my clock back for anyone, do you realise it was 04:27 when I decided to take this pic "

Yours is at least right twice a day

over a year ago

I've done (admittedly not very thorough) internet search and can only find that its when British summertime officially ends. Your correct.Officially ye've British Summer Time,we've Irish Standard Time,same thing,different name,think we adopted it around 1916 & just stayed with it since.Tbh it's a pain in the arse

So is it a meteorological thing? Or just an arbitrary time set by the powers that be?"

I think set by the powers that be during WW1.Germany 1st adopted it,followed by the UK & obviously Ireland had to adopt it then.This was in 1916 if I'm correct?Here it was the Time Act Ireland 1916.Sorry the nerd in me is coming through here But it's still a pain in the butt

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I ain't putting my clock back for anyone, do you realise it was 04:27 when I decided to take this pic

Yours is at least right twice a day "

Oi, that's my joke, make yer own up Missus

Speaking of clocks though, ma Gran used to have a Grandfather clock and a Cuckoo clock amongst others, it sounded like the start of Time by Pink Floyd every hour

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I've done (admittedly not very thorough) internet search and can only find that its when British summertime officially ends. Your correct.Officially ye've British Summer Time,we've Irish Standard Time,same thing,different name,think we adopted it around 1916 & just stayed with it since.Tbh it's a pain in the arse

So is it a meteorological thing? Or just an arbitrary time set by the powers that be? I think set by the powers that be during WW1.Germany 1st adopted it,followed by the UK & obviously Ireland had to adopt it then.This was in 1916 if I'm correct?Here it was the Time Act Ireland 1916.Sorry the nerd in me is coming through here But it's still a pain in the butt "

So it's just an arbitrary time?

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I ain't putting my clock back for anyone, do you realise it was 04:27 when I decided to take this pic

Speaking of clocks though, ma Gran used to have a Grandfather clock and a Cuckoo clock amongst others, it sounded like the start of Time by Pink Floyd every hour "

My parents have a grandfather clock, when I moved away I used to sleep in the room it was in when I went home. Every damn hour that thing woke me up.

over a year ago

So is it a meteorological thing? Or just an arbitrary time set by the powers that be? I think set by the powers that be during WW1.Germany 1st adopted it,followed by the UK & obviously Ireland had to adopt it then.This was in 1916 if I'm correct?Here it was the Time Act Ireland 1916.Sorry the nerd in me is coming through here But it's still a pain in the butt

So it's just an arbitrary time?"

Yes it is tbh but sure what'll happen next year is anyone's guess with the EU voting to abolish the Forward-Back in 2019 i.e. they want a single EU time is my understanding?

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Speaking of clocks though, ma Gran used to have a Grandfather clock and a Cuckoo clock amongst others, it sounded like the start of Time by Pink Floyd every hour

My parents have a grandfather clock, when I moved away I used to sleep in the room it was in when I went home. Every damn hour that thing woke me up."

Ma gran's was in the hall of a large Victorian terrace, 4 up 5 down and an attic room, but you still couldn't escape the noise, even at the bottom of the garden I think the birds used to stick their wings in their ears

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

So is it a meteorological thing? Or just an arbitrary time set by the powers that be? I think set by the powers that be during WW1.Germany 1st adopted it,followed by the UK & obviously Ireland had to adopt it then.This was in 1916 if I'm correct?Here it was the Time Act Ireland 1916.Sorry the nerd in me is coming through here But it's still a pain in the butt

So it's just an arbitrary time? Yes it is tbh but sure what'll happen next year is anyone's guess with the EU voting to abolish the Forward-Back in 2019 i.e. they want a single EU time is my understanding?"

Goodness only knows.

When I was a kid they experimented one year with not putting it back or something. I remember having to walk to school in the dark and my mum being really cross about it.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

My parents have a grandfather clock, when I moved away I used to sleep in the room it was in when I went home. Every damn hour that thing woke me up.

Ma gran's was in the hall of a large Victorian terrace, 4 up 5 down and an attic room, but you still couldn't escape the noise, even at the bottom of the garden I think the birds used to stick their wings in their ears "

By *he Original TTMan
over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

I don't know the full history of what time the change happened in the past, but for digital devices it is crucial - imagine that the clock hits 12.00 on Sunday 28th morning, and then has to drop back to 23.00 on Saturday 27th night.... The day and date would jump back causing all sorts of major issues with digital timed systems.

By using 2.00 am to turn the clock back by an hour, this is eliminated as the day and date remain constant.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I don't know the full history of what time the change happened in the past, but for digital devices it is crucial - imagine that the clock hits 12.00 on Sunday 28th morning, and then has to drop back to 23.00 on Saturday 27th night.... The day and date would jump back causing all sorts of major issues with digital timed systems.

By using 2.00 am to turn the clock back by an hour, this is eliminated as the day and date remain constant. "

I can understand that but digital devices weren't around when daylight saving was introduced.

I was thinking maybe it made it easier for recording times of birth or death if they occured at midnight or something like that.

It seems the licencing hours explanation is the most likely so far.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Crikey, what time did you start school? Even during the "winter months" it's generally light by at least 8 ish

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Crikey, what time did you start school? Even during the "winter months" it's generally light by at least 8 ish "

9 am. I must google it I'm sure it was just one year but I can't remember what exactly happened.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Yep they put the clocks forward in 1968 and didn't put them back again until 1971. So it was longer than a year, I was at secondary school by then so had a 15 mile bus journey too. So I would have been walking to the bus stop in the dark. I had to walk home in the dark too but apparently bad stuff only happens on dark mornings

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Crikey, what time did you start school? Even during the "winter months" it's generally light by at least 8 ish

9 am. I must google it I'm sure it was just one year but I can't remember what exactly happened."

Probably about 1973 when Harold Wilson put us all in the dark

over a year ago

Evening

By *he Original TTMan
over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

"I don't know the full history of what time the change happened in the past, but for digital devices it is crucial - imagine that the clock hits 12.00 on Sunday 28th morning, and then has to drop back to 23.00 on Saturday 27th night.... The day and date would jump back causing all sorts of major issues with digital timed systems.

By using 2.00 am to turn the clock back by an hour, this is eliminated as the day and date remain constant.

I can understand that but digital devices weren't around when daylight saving was introduced.

I was thinking maybe it made it easier for recording times of birth or death if they occured at midnight or something like that.

It seems the licencing hours explanation is the most likely so far."

Not likely actually, as the first legislation to introduce BST was the Summertime Act 1916 and that legislation dictated the time as 1am for the start of BST and 2am for the end. The Defence of the Realm Act (DoRA) 1914 was the initial legislation to affect licensed premises hours of operation and that limited opening hours to 12.00-14.40 and 18.30-22.30. These times would not have been affected by BST.

The most commonly held and considered likely reason for the actual time is that essential industries such as mining, steelworks, munitions factories etc would be least affected at that time of night.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Evening "

Oh there you are. How are your now deflated genitals?

Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

It seems the licencing hours explanation is the most likely so far.

Not likely actually, as the first legislation to introduce BST was the Summertime Act 1916 and that legislation dictated the time as 1am for the start of BST and 2am for the end. The Defence of the Realm Act (DoRA) 1914 was the initial legislation to affect licensed premises hours of operation and that limited opening hours to 12.00-14.40 and 18.30-22.30. These times would not have been affected by BST.

The most commonly held and considered likely reason for the actual time is that essential industries such as mining, steelworks, munitions factories etc would be least affected at that time of night.

"

Ah, ok. That seems plausible.

Post new Message to Thread