Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Is replacing plastic is a home goal?

Jump to newest

By *rontier Psychiatrist OP   Man
over a year ago

Coventry

Im on holiday eating chips with wooden knives and folks and drinking with thick paper straws. Ironicly the production and transportation of said items result in a far higher carbon footprint than their plastic counterparts. Plastic production and transportation is actually a very efficient process. So by using plastic alternatives on mass we are harming the environment seriously in other ways. Plastic is actually are really good material. Surely the problem is over use, poor management and wastage of plastics? If we want to fix things we need to look at our consumption, management and re-use of materials? Not carry on consuming and wasting at current rates with materials that have a higher carbon foot print than the plastic they replace? But then maybe that would be a far to bitter pill for us all to swallow?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *layfulfoxMan
over a year ago

nowhere

Similar with electric cars

By *lbert_shlossedMan
over a year ago

Manchester

The solution to me is to get serious about littering and wastage regardless of what material is used,I watched somebody the other day throw his pizza box on the floor despite leaning on a dustbin.

Most things thrown on the floor eventually makes its way into the sea.

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

The problem isn’t the plastic at all , it’s what happens to it when it’s been used . Chuck a wooden fork into a river or the sea and no problem , a plastic one is a massive one when you think of all the plastic bags , bottles etc......that simply won’t decompose .

The answer is incinerators which will create energy in the combustion of the waste . And education , to stop the mindless fools who litter in the first place .

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

I think you need to book a more exciting holiday or try finding a life while your there.

over a year ago

Coventry

Ah ffs even the money tubs are cardboard and stick together (plastic ones don't).

over a year ago

Coventry

"The problem isn’t the plastic at all , it’s what happens to it when it’s been used . Chuck a wooden fork into a river or the sea and no problem , a plastic one is a massive one when you think of all the plastic bags , bottles etc......that simply won’t decompose .

The answer is incinerators which will create energy in the combustion of the waste . And education , to stop the mindless fools who litter in the first place .

"

That's the trouble plastic is not the problem per se. Infact it solves a lot of problems. Trouble is to what extent is it better to reduce plastic in the environment by methods that increase pollution in the air and have other knock on affects to wider enviroment and resources?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

I don't think the plastic revolution is about carbon footprints though.... It's about its affect on the environment because if doesn't break down.

It's about straws getting stuck up turtles noses!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I think you need to book a more exciting holiday or try finding a life while your there. "

By *ensualbicockMan
over a year ago

liverpool wavertree picton clock

Hemp plastics is the way forward

over a year ago

Coventry

"I don't think the plastic revolution is about carbon footprints though.... It's about its affect on the environment because if doesn't break down.

It's about straws getting stuck up turtles noses! "

I get that and I know plastic tea spoons stuck to jellyfish is a concern. But reduce one environmental hazard with methods that increase another (and possibly more dangerous) hazard is idiotic?

By *ay19720Man
over a year ago

Ashford kent

Plastic should just be band...stop using it....we had ways and means before it....its a good invention. .but used far far too much....but were all greedy consuming fuckers..so lol

By *ay19720Man
over a year ago

Ashford kent

"Hemp plastics is the way forward "

U got it bro...hemp can be made in to coffee cups they brake down after 90 days...fact..hemp makes paper..clothes..and many many things...

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

i just dont know what the answer is.

if we stop using all plastics something will have to replace them.

and knowing the way industry is what replaces plastic will be fine for about 50 years until someone discovers the damage done.

all a bit of a mess isnt it.

Post new Message to Thread