Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

supermarket fuels

Jump to newest

By *good-being-bad OP   Man
over a year ago

mis-types and auto corrects leads cock leeds

Tend to be cheaper than other producers are they as good for vehicles ?

If I use them I sometimes get an engine emissions warning light when I use other producers it disappears.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I think they're just as good. Supermarkets tend to use them as a means of encouraging people into the shop. They make a enough of a profit on the goods they sell not to have to worry about their margins on fuel.

Besides, i'm not going to spend 10p (or however much it is) a litre more just so i can put super duper deluxe diesel in my Hilux.

over a year ago

Never had an issue with supermarket diesel. Some people argue it's a lower quality but surely there is minimal standards?

Economy, emisions and power have never been an issue.

over a year ago

Is it like buying own brand orange juice?

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

I'd get your codes checked especially if its a diesel

over a year ago

Apparently not ,have been advised not to use it due to poor quality & can cause defect to the injectors. We use Shell / BP fuel thus never had any problems with our vehicles ( new) but did when using supermarket fuel previously

By *layfulfoxMan
over a year ago

nowhere

From what I hear it's not as good quality as your shell vpower or both ultimate.

Also depends which car you drive as these higher end fuels give better performance in sports cars or engines similar to such

Just mix it up a little, treat your car once in a while

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

Fuel is produced to defined standards. Thers nothing wrong with supermarket fuel, although you might find it runs better on the branded fuels (shell/esso) as they may have more additives in it for better performance, better MPG (read up on things like RON95 fuel Vs Ron 97-99...unleaded Vs super unleaded) although this obviously costs a fair bit more.

Fundamentally, you shouldn't have any issues with supemarket fuel- i've pretty much only ever used that in around 25 years of driving.

over a year ago

Our nephew's head gasket in his car went.

When he took it to a garage the mechanic said to him do you always use supermarket fuel.

He said yes always the mechanic answer was don't try and alternate between them and branded fuel he said supermarket fuel was cheaper for a reason meaning inferior quality

over a year ago

All crap iv had various performance powered cars and always filled up from asda without any problem. Get your car serviced once a year and youll be fine

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Do you honestly think that a refinery is going to do anything different for supermarket fuels than any other filling station. If so then you crack on there's no arguing with stupid

By *andonmessMan
over a year ago

A world all of his own

I've used supermarket fuels for years now, all in high performance cars. Granted, I use 98/9 Ron rather than normal unleaded but never had an issue. Current car has a 12:1 CR so it'd show up any issues immediately.

over a year ago

"Do you honestly think that a refinery is going to do anything different for supermarket fuels than any other filling station. If so then you crack on there's no arguing with stupid "

Only repeating what a mechanic said how does that make us stupid ?

By *uzz And WoodyCouple
over a year ago

Maidstone

As was mentioned previously, supermarket fuels generally have less additives. Without the additives, the fuel filter/pump, fuel lines, injectors etc will probably end up clogged after some time. I tend to use a shot of Redex once in a while, you’ll be surprised how much it can improve performance in mpg and bhp.

Ed

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"Do you honestly think that a refinery is going to do anything different for supermarket fuels than any other filling station. If so then you crack on there's no arguing with stupid

Only repeating what a mechanic said how does that make us stupid ?"

By believing it. Your talking to a mechanic. Most of my customers have been shafted in some way and that's why they keep coming back. And the reason for me there just isn't enough hours in a day. I didn't mean anything personal I just tire of hearing the same garbage.

over a year ago

"Do you honestly think that a refinery is going to do anything different for supermarket fuels than any other filling station. If so then you crack on there's no arguing with stupid

Only repeating what a mechanic said how does that make us stupid ?"

Maybe he was a stupid mechanic?

over a year ago

By believing it. Your talking to a mechanic. Most of my customers have been shafted in some way and that's why they keep coming back. And the reason for me there just isn't enough hours in a day. I didn't mean anything personal I just tire of hearing the same garbage."

We wasn't talking to the mechanic it was our nephew the head gasket had blown he already knew that.

The car was knackered it needed fixed anyway so why would he lie?

We use supermarket fuel but just not every time.

So again the stupid remark was uncalled for.

over a year ago

I’ve run a few performance cars on Tesco Momentum 99 no issues.

over a year ago

The supermarkets don’t produce the fuel they just buy in bulk from the big petro companies. They’re pretty much all the same apart from the likes of momentum or v power which are slightly more refined or have additives in them to clean the engine as it goes. I’ve been using tesco standard fuel for 20+ years and never had an issue which could be blamed on poor fuel.

By *he Original TTMan
over a year ago

Brackley, Northants

Useful little article here from Allstar who supply fuel cards to businesses - they are non-affiliated and have no loyalty to any brand, so it is pretty unbiased.

Bare basic facts, but answers the question.

https://www.allstarcard.co.uk/this-matters-fuel/fleet-news/supermarket-fuel/

over a year ago

All unleaded has a minimum "ron" of 95 regardless of where its sold.

Super unleaded has a "ron" of 97/98 regardless of where its sold.

A fuel such as shell v-power has a "ron" of 99.

Now i have no idea who "ron" is but by law any fuel has to meet the minimum "ron" standards.

To do ron ron or not, depends on your car.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

By believing it. Your talking to a mechanic. Most of my customers have been shafted in some way and that's why they keep coming back. And the reason for me there just isn't enough hours in a day. I didn't mean anything personal I just tire of hearing the same garbage.

We wasn't talking to the mechanic it was our nephew the head gasket had blown he already knew that.

The car was knackered it needed fixed anyway so why would he lie?

We use supermarket fuel but just not every time.

So again the stupid remark was uncalled for."

Ok I what ever you say. I refer you back to my original post.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"All unleaded has a minimum "ron" of 95 regardless of where its sold.

Super unleaded has a "ron" of 97/98 regardless of where its sold.

A fuel such as shell v-power has a "ron" of 99.

Now i have no idea who "ron" is but by law any fuel has to meet the minimum "ron" standards.

To do ron ron or not, depends on your car."

I believe it's octane levels. The higher the octane the hotter it burns. A hotter engine burns off more carbon deposits. This is beneficial particularly to diesels especially when it's not used as intended i.e. doing loads of miles but nothing and I mean nothing will help your engine more than regular servicing which j might add must be altered to the use of what ever you drive. The manufacturer only recommends it's service intervals they are not written in stone and are often vastly optimistic that a car is driven to perfect conditions. My own car is a classic example of this. It's recommended it has a oil and filter change every 10.000 miles I won't let it go past 5.000....

over a year ago

Supermarket fuels aren't substandard. They just don't have all the engine cleaning/peak performance additives that whizzo premium fuels charge you extra for.

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"Tend to be cheaper than other producers are they as good for vehicles ?

If I use them I sometimes get an engine emissions warning light when I use other producers it disappears."

I do 50000 miles a year and never notice any difference.

Morrisons had a bad batch a few years ago but I think it was rare.

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"Useful little article here from Allstar who supply fuel cards to businesses - they are non-affiliated and have no loyalty to any brand, so it is pretty unbiased.

Bare basic facts, but answers the question.

https://www.allstarcard.co.uk/this-matters-fuel/fleet-news/supermarket-fuel/"

My Allstar card won't let me use premium fuels anyway

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

If I use them I sometimes get an engine emissions warning light when I use other producers it disappears.

Morrisons had a bad batch a few years ago but I think it was rare."

Didn't Tescos 1s mix there bulk tanks to so petrol owner where getting a mix of petrol and diesel. Now that really don't do your engine any good. I believe it cost them in the dearly to replace a lot of engines.

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Didn't Tescos 1s mix there bulk tanks to so petrol owner where getting a mix of petrol and diesel. Now that really don't do your engine any good. I believe it cost them in the dearly to replace a lot of engines."

I might have got the wrong supermarket chain, someone got a few unexpected bills.

I'm off to google it now

By *annedandtallMan
over a year ago

Buckinghamshire

At last, a sensible answer.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"At last, a sensible answer.

"

Who's hahaha

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Didn't Tescos 1s mix there bulk tanks to so petrol owner where getting a mix of petrol and diesel. Now that really don't do your engine any good. I believe it cost them in the dearly to replace a lot of engines."

TESCO has apologised for selling dodgy diesel and will cover thousands of pounds worth of affected motorists' repairs.

The retail giant agreed to pay up for garage bills after a spate of drivers broke down with engine problems having filled up at one of its superstore's pumps.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Didn't Tescos 1s mix there bulk tanks to so petrol owner where getting a mix of petrol and diesel. Now that really don't do your engine any good. I believe it cost them in the dearly to replace a lot of engines.

TESCO has apologised for selling dodgy diesel and will cover thousands of pounds worth of affected motorists' repairs.

The retail giant agreed to pay up for garage bills after a spate of drivers broke down with engine problems having filled up at one of its superstore's pumps.

"

over a year ago

2 things, 98 is not necessarily better than 95, depends on what your engine is set for. My motorcycle on long runs so hot engine gets 3 to 5 mpg more out of 95 than it does from 98, and feels sweeter too.

However supermarket fuels are obviously inferior, because when I filled my car with Tesco diesel and bought a lottery ticket while paying.... it didn't win!!

By *annedandtallMan
over a year ago

Buckinghamshire

"At last, a sensible answer.

Who's hahaha"

A load of bollocks being posted. I've run two brand new cars on nothing but Tesco fuel. The first, for 113,00 miles and the second for for 30,000. Absolutely no problems whatsoever.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"2 things, 98 is not necessarily better than 95, depends on what your engine is set for. My motorcycle on long runs so hot engine gets 3 to 5 mpg more out of 95 than it does from 98, and feels sweeter too.

However supermarket fuels are obviously inferior, because when I filled my car with Tesco diesel and bought a lottery ticket while paying.... it didn't win!!"

Shady basterds

over a year ago

Look at the Wikipedia article on petrol.Answers all your questions.

over a year ago

Just never buy American petrol! Have you seen the minor bumps and crashes that always result in a nuclear style mushroom of flame as the Zippo in the drivers pocket explodes

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Had a big discussion about this in another mechanically orientated forum I use. Contrary to some posts on here, there is a huge difference in some fuels. My `52 Discovery absolutely hates Tesco regular diesel but flies on Sainsbury`s regular diesel and to confirm my findings, even Tesco`s own delivery vans don`t use their own diesel! Figure that one out! And a man I was speaking reckoned a very old stationary engine (like about 1920`s)he has was VERY lethargic on Texaco petrol but flew when run on Shell. It seems to older the vehicle, the less tolerant they are! Or perhaps the technology can compensate?

over a year ago

I’m a process operator at an oil refinery, actually in charge of making Diesel and other petroleum products to particular specifications.

The specs only change between winter and summer, because we can sell lower spec fuels to the US in the summer.

All other fuels are made to the same spec, and sold to branded stations and supermarkets, with no difference between them.

The normal diesel and petrol you buy at a branded garage is the same as supermarket fuel. The only differences are if you buy higher octane/cetane fuels that have extra additives at branded stations, as the supermarket don’t tend to offer these fuels.

I use supermarket fuels, and I make the stuff!

By *est Wales WifeCouple
over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

Edmund King, president of the AA and visiting professor of transport at Newcastle University, says: “Petrol and diesel fuel quality is governed by the same European standard, whether it is sold at a supermarket in Manchester, a motorway service area on the M25 or an independent outside Mevagissey

“Supermarkets source their fuels from all of the major producers and suppliers in the UK. All fuel sold here is tightly controlled and must conform to specifications.”

David Bizley, the RAC’s chief engineer, adds: “There is no difference between standard 95 RON petrols as long as they are purchased from a reputable supplier, so motorists should not have any concerns about petrol quality."

By *anejohnkent6263Couple
over a year ago

canterbury

I own a Porsche and if i use Tesco fuel it runs like a pig ...my Porsche man tells me it is right on the line for octain..thats y

over a year ago

"Had a big discussion about this in another mechanically orientated forum I use. Contrary to some posts on here, there is a huge difference in some fuels. My `52 Discovery absolutely hates Tesco regular diesel but flies on Sainsbury`s regular diesel and to confirm my findings, even Tesco`s own delivery vans don`t use their own diesel! Figure that one out! And a man I was speaking reckoned a very old stationary engine (like about 1920`s)he has was VERY lethargic on Texaco petrol but flew when run on Shell. It seems to older the vehicle, the less tolerant they are! Or perhaps the technology can compensate?"

Tell your mate that stationary engines can run red diesel, can get it in any boat yard or ask a local farmer if you can buy a gallon or two. No need to pay tax on a stationary engine

Garage tanks are filled by tanker drivers, mistakes can happen e.g. wrong fuel in wrong tank. But not often, sometimes there is a fault with the tanks and water gets in, but not often.

When the orange light comes on, I stop at nearest fuel dealer and fill it up, often grab a coffee, and rest my sore arse before climbing back on the bike for the next 180 miles, if they only have 98 (often the case in Norway, but sometimes happens elsewhere), it's only 160 miles till my next coffee.

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

"Had a big discussion about this in another mechanically orientated forum I use. Contrary to some posts on here, there is a huge difference in some fuels. My `52 Discovery absolutely hates Tesco regular diesel but flies on Sainsbury`s regular diesel and to confirm my findings, even Tesco`s own delivery vans don`t use their own diesel! Figure that one out! And a man I was speaking reckoned a very old stationary engine (like about 1920`s)he has was VERY lethargic on Texaco petrol but flew when run on Shell. It seems to older the vehicle, the less tolerant they are! Or perhaps the technology can compensate?

Tell your mate that stationary engines can run red diesel, can get it in any boat yard or ask a local farmer if you can buy a gallon or two. No need to pay tax on a stationary engine

Garage tanks are filled by tanker drivers, mistakes can happen e.g. wrong fuel in wrong tank. But not often, sometimes there is a fault with the tanks and water gets in, but not often.

When the orange light comes on, I stop at nearest fuel dealer and fill it up, often grab a coffee, and rest my sore arse before climbing back on the bike for the next 180 miles, if they only have 98 (often the case in Norway, but sometimes happens elsewhere), it's only 160 miles till my next coffee. "

You wouldn`t want to run a PETROL engine on diesel of ANY colour! Please read my post again!

over a year ago

"Had a big discussion about this in another mechanically orientated forum I use. Contrary to some posts on here, there is a huge difference in some fuels. My `52 Discovery absolutely hates Tesco regular diesel but flies on Sainsbury`s regular diesel and to confirm my findings, even Tesco`s own delivery vans don`t use their own diesel! Figure that one out! And a man I was speaking reckoned a very old stationary engine (like about 1920`s)he has was VERY lethargic on Texaco petrol but flew when run on Shell. It seems to older the vehicle, the less tolerant they are! Or perhaps the technology can compensate?"

I think you’ll find that Tesco fuel and Sainsbury’s fuel came out of the same tank, no difference between the two. As per the guy who makes the stuff.

By *est Wales WifeCouple
over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

A typical day on FABs really. A guy here, who works in a refinery, says there is no difference between supermarket fuel and other fuel as does the visiting professor of transport at Newcastle University and the RAC’s chief engineer.

Meanwhile most others on FABs knows better or knows a man who said on another forum/in the pub/or to his dog that the opposite is true.

over a year ago

"You wouldn`t want to run a PETROL engine on diesel of ANY colour! Please read my post again!"

Yup point taken, I used to have a few lister engines all were diesel so I missed the petrol bit...

Serious point that comes up for some friends running vintage motorcycles, old engines were often designed for 2* leaded petrol which is no longer available. Don't quote me cos it's from deep down in my memory, but I think 2star was 80 something octain plus of course had lead in it...

So age may matter

By *udistnorthantsMan
over a year ago

Desborough

Supermarket fuel and a bottle of Cataclean or Oxicat every 3 months, no problem with the Engine Management Light. Plus regular servicing.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"A typical day on FABs really. A guy here, who works in a refinery, says there is no difference between supermarket fuel and other fuel as does the visiting professor of transport at Newcastle University and the RAC’s chief engineer.

Meanwhile most others on FABs knows better or knows a man who said on another forum/in the pub/or to his dog that the opposite is true."

Hey don't be knocking the dog he knows his shit man

By *i1971Man
over a year ago

Cornwall

I've only ever had issues with one tank of diesel from a Gulf branded station (desparate for fuel at the time) . Car really didn't run well at all & topped it up asap with another station & it began driving better.

Put it down to a dodgy batch of fuel.

Normally use supermarket fuel for convenience & not had a problem

By *rednwilma1Couple
over a year ago

york

I work at a fuel depot that loads the tankers that go out to the petrol stations and all the trucks come and load from the same pump / Tank

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

The strange thing is, again for those who day there`s no difference, my own experiences are not based on random single events but on continuous use of two different brands of supermarket fuel from two local filling stations which, if what they say is correct should be the "same" fuel. Yet time and time again, the difference in performance are like chalk and cheese! I reckon I`m getting 50 miles more a tankful with Sainsbury`s diesel. Go back to Tesco`s and you`d think there`s three of four tonnes on a trailer been hitched to the back! So dodgy batches of fuel can be factored out! It`s like the difference in drinking tea to coffee it`s that apparent!

Even car manafacturers recommend using a good branded fuel every so often if otherwise using supermarket fuel.

over a year ago

If I use them I sometimes get an engine emissions warning light when I use other producers it disappears."

It has happened to us too.. well me in both cars. Mechanic told us you get what you pay for. Have used BP the last year and no warning lights yet

By *htcMan
over a year ago

MK

Nothing wrong with them. All my cars i have had have been filled at Asda. Never been to any other ever. Never had a single problem with them nothing gets clogged. Have done over 100k on my last car never broke down or got clogged or had anything go wrong.

They are not made by the supermarket. They are made at the fuel supplier who have delivers to pretty much all garages.

The only difference is if you buy BP ultimate or shell something (the upgraded pricey one) which have extra power to the fuel(yes do notice slight difference but not much)

One who thinks it gets clogged is wrong. They are made to standards by law. Otherwise the fuel does not leave the factory. Every batch is tested before safe for delivery.

By *oyce69Man
over a year ago

Driffield

"I’ve run a few performance cars on Tesco Momentum 99 no issues. "

over a year ago

"Apparently not ,have been advised not to use it due to poor quality & can cause defect to the injectors. We use Shell / BP fuel thus never had any problems with our vehicles ( new) but did when using supermarket fuel previously "

with every new bike we test the rules are clear.

never use supermarket fuel stations.

can mess around with the bikes fueling

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

If a diesel engine can burn vegetable oil, it can burn supermarket diesel just fine. It all comes out of the same hole in the ground after all.

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

I usually put supermarket fuel in 4 wheeled vehicles but never in my motor bikes.

I'm not sure how good supermarket fuel is nowadays but 15-20 years ago it was rubbish. We used to have bikes come through the workshop with mis fires and engines not running properly and it was often caused by gummed up carburettors. Most of the customers said they used supermarket fuel and we used to recommend branded fuel. The problem mostly disappeared.

With bikes a lot of it was caused because they weren't used often and were stood up for long periods. Supermarket fuel never lasted as long as branded.

Post new Message to Thread