Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Will the UK keep time with the EU?

Jump to newest

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

As we know, clocks are going back this weekend. The EU position is an encouragement for countries to retain the same time all year. Should the UK abandon time changes, especially if neighbours like Ireland do? Not a political thread, just upon the synchronization etc and the UK persisting with something started from around 100 years ago.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"As we know, clocks are going back this weekend. The EU position is an encouragement for countries to retain the same time all year. Should the UK abandon time changes, especially if neighbours like Ireland do? Not a political thread, just upon the synchronization etc and the UK persisting with something started from around 100 years ago. "

Obviously the UK is already in a different time zone from most of the EU, so it would be about matching the 1 hour movements

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

I think it's crazy changing the clocks twice.

It does nothing to change the hours of daylight and darkness.

I hear the arguments about people who work in farms or school children in the north.

The solution is simple - change your start and finish times to the daylight hours that suit you, rather than expect everyone else to risk breaking their necks twice a year climbing on chairs to turn the wall clocks backwards and forwards.

By *xMFM3sumsxxWoman
over a year ago

SouthWest Lancashire

I'm diabetic, loads of us get ill when in hospital due to the time changes in our medication. Don't see the point in changing the time.

I like the idea of changing things so that time revolves around us. Society is pretty much open 24 hrs in big places anyway.

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

In the olden days, they had times in many towns that weren't synchronized - so I guess that they had what suited them.

I think I'd prefer to stay on summer time, if we are to stick with one

There's research showing that some people take an extraordinary time to adjust to just an hours change, when experts thought it was an insignificant issue.

By *lbert_shlossedMan
over a year ago

Manchester

What a crazy question!.

Greece is the EU, there 1100 miles east and 1200 south of me.

Besides We're not altering the time for winter, we're going back to GMT because we adjusted it for summer because nobody wants daybreak at 2,20am in June.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I'm diabetic, loads of us get ill when in hospital due to the time changes in our medication. Don't see the point in changing the time.

I like the idea of changing things so that time revolves around us. Society is pretty much open 24 hrs in big places anyway."

I'm on a driver for meds this will affect me I didn't realise

By *xMFM3sumsxxWoman
over a year ago

SouthWest Lancashire

"I'm diabetic, loads of us get ill when in hospital due to the time changes in our medication. Don't see the point in changing the time.

I like the idea of changing things so that time revolves around us. Society is pretty much open 24 hrs in big places anyway.

I'm on a driver for meds this will affect me I didn't realise "

Probably affects a lot of people. With diabetes it affects when you can eat and everything, which sucks.

By *ouplewatcher83Man
over a year ago

Northwich

"I think it's crazy changing the clocks twice.

It does nothing to change the hours of daylight and darkness.

I hear the arguments about people who work in farms or school children in the north.

The solution is simple - change your start and finish times to the daylight hours that suit you, rather than expect everyone else to risk breaking their necks twice a year climbing on chairs to turn the wall clocks backwards and forwards.

"

It would be close to 10am in some places in Scotland before sunrise, do you expect them to start their day then?

Change my start and finish time brilliant, suits me ... Don't think my employers would feel the same though, fingers crossed my local shops, doctors etc will adjust their hour just to suit me too ....

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

"

It would be close to 10am in some places in Scotland before sunrise, do you expect them to start their day then?

Change my start and finish time brilliant, suits me ... Don't think my employers would feel the same though, fingers crossed my local shops, doctors etc will adjust their hour just to suit me too ...."

If it is important, say in Shetland, to go to school in daylight, and your normal hours are 0900-1500, what's wrong with changing them in winter to 1000-1600?

“Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket.”

- Native American saying

By *ouplewatcher83Man
over a year ago

Northwich

"

Change my start and finish time brilliant, suits me ... Don't think my employers would feel the same though, fingers crossed my local shops, doctors etc will adjust their hour just to suit me too ....

If it is important, say in Shetland, to go to school in daylight, and your normal hours are 0900-1500, what's wrong with changing them in winter to 1000-1600?

“Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket.”

- Native American saying

"

What about the parents that work school hours they'd have to hope their bosses could accommodate the change, surely it'd be easier to change the clocks back an hour (personally I hate it as I'm working tonight!) Than it would be change the infrastructure of a country!!

Thanks for the native saying although I don't see any relevance between that and this debate??

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I hate clocks going forward and back. It was made a law 1916 for stupid reason, Today it effects millions of people and when you loose an hour sleep it can really impact on your day. It should be banned.

Post new Message to Thread