Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

sports personality of the year

Jump to newest

By *he Bananaman OP   Man
over a year ago

WORCESTERSHIRE

well done to tour de france points winner and world champion mark cavendish who won this honour tonight!.

a very humble speech from the heart followed the presentation to the manx missile the fastest roadman sprinter on the planet at the moment,he never prepared a speeech but just let the emotion pour out on the night,this trait after tour de france finishes has got him in trouble as he would be so full of adrenalin just seconds after 40mph+ finishes,but he always acknowledges his team as in tour de france and his GB teammates who nullified any attacks in the 7hour race to prepare our first world road race champion since 1965.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *obsrocketMan
over a year ago

Loughborough

A truly deserved winner from a sport that doesn't always get the tv coverage that it perhaps deserves. Personally I'm no cyclist but am truly impressed with Cav's achievements.

By *etitesaraTV/TS
over a year ago

rochdale

A well deserved win by a supreme athlete in the world's toughest sporting discipline

All the more surprising a win considering that the general public mostly haven't ridden a bike since childhood and most have no idea of how much it hurts to do what he does.

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

His efforts in the Tour de France were exciting to watch, nice to see him being recognised for all his hard work.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Bet he's got a permanently sore arse though....

By *obletonMan
over a year ago

A Home Among The Woodland Creatures

bugger - I had my money on John Terry

By *etitesaraTV/TS
over a year ago

rochdale

Jane - they use a product known in the trade as 'minty arse lard' horrible stuff, you rub it into your chamois pad in your shorts then rub more into your arse/groin/legs. Feels like wearing a full nappy at first but after 100 miles its wonderful...

By *un_JuiceCouple
over a year ago

Nr Chester

Ne mind that. Get him and his good lady on here. Both fiiiiit as ....

over a year ago

WORCESTERSHIRE

i have a synthetic chamois liner in my shorts and use a gentle rub of sudocrem,works wonders even on 100 mile rides so no sore bum for me!.

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

yep a worthy winner indeed

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I echo the sentiment, extremely worthy winner.

Shame the team performance in the Copenhagen race didn't get mentioned. The most dominant world championship team ride by Froome, Cummings, Millar, Hunt, Wiggins, Thomas, Stannard and Cavendish.

Btw - huge cycling fan

By *etitesaraTV/TS
over a year ago

rochdale

I hope it raises the focus on cycling even higher, GB look likely to do well next year in London and will need the support!

It was nice to hear Cav mention that more people than ever are cycling - for sport, for recreation and for commuting

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

got the winner... i had it cavendish, farrah, McIllroy.. so bang goes fiver at the bookers...

over a year ago

WORCESTERSHIRE

"I echo the sentiment, extremely worthy winner.

Shame the team performance in the Copenhagen race didn't get mentioned. The most dominant world championship team ride by Froome, Cummings, Millar, Hunt, Wiggins, Thomas, Stannard and Cavendish.

Btw - huge cycling fan

"

a fantastic team!,was a brilliant race with gb jersey(or jerseys)at the front throughout the 7 hours of racing in order to nullify any breakaways to ensure cav would be able to use his tremendous sprint!.

should see more cycles out and about now on our country lanes and if cav can win gb's first gold in the olympics (like chris boardman did in barcelona)to set up our olympic campaign.

over a year ago

Can't believe cook didn't win!!

By *erekduvallCouple
over a year ago

swansea

"well done to tour de france points winner and world champion mark cavendish who won this honour tonight!.

a very humble speech from the heart followed the presentation to the manx missile the fastest roadman sprinter on the planet at the moment,he never prepared a speeech but just let the emotion pour out on the night,this trait after tour de france finishes has got him in trouble as he would be so full of adrenalin just seconds after 40mph+ finishes,but he always acknowledges his team as in tour de france and his GB teammates who nullified any attacks in the 7hour race to prepare our first world road race champion since 1965."

Who????

over a year ago

"Who????"

Don't worry, he isn't interested in chucking that rubber egg backwards round a field. He's a proper sportsman.

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

"Can't believe cook didn't win!!"

Nicole? Not had her best season, but she'll be back....

over a year ago

WORCESTERSHIRE

"Can't believe cook didn't win!!

Nicole? Not had her best season, but she'll be back...."

yeh!,hopefully she retain her olympic title and cav will get his gold too!.

over a year ago

"Can't believe cook didn't win!!

Nicole? Not had her best season, but she'll be back....

yeh!,hopefully she retain her olympic title and cav will get his gold too!. "

Cooke won't be in a position to defend her title. She is beginning to pay the price of spending 10 years pissing people off... Shame because her Olympics and world wins in 2008 were both fantastic races.

I also think that the way the UCI/IOC have changed the track racing will go against us though we'll still do well.

As for Cav - legend. I can remember seeng him race as a chubby junior and though he was class you'd never have exppected this level of success. But I loove the guy, the fact that the first thing he did was thank his team mates last night says a lot about how humble he is. Shouldn;t have signed for SKY, but they will make him a household name next year, even though 5 rider teams, Boxhill and no other team wanting a bunch sprint are all going to make winning the Olympics a huge ask.

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

"Cooke won't be in a position to defend her title. She is beginning to pay the price of spending 10 years pissing people off... Shame because her Olympics and world wins in 2008 were both fantastic races.

I also think that the way the UCI/IOC have changed the track racing will go against us though we'll still do well.

As for Cav - legend. I can remember seeng him race as a chubby junior and though he was class you'd never have exppected this level of success. But I loove the guy, the fact that the first thing he did was thank his team mates last night says a lot about how humble he is. Shouldn;t have signed for SKY, but they will make him a household name next year, even though 5 rider teams, Boxhill and no other team wanting a bunch sprint are all going to make winning the Olympics a huge ask.

"

not much nicole could have done in worlds this year as she held her place in line for the last few k's but lizzie dropped back and lost her place for the finish!,not nicoles fault lizzie could not hold a wheel but nicole taking the flak for it!.

as for the boxhill circuit i think cavs xperience when he won milan san remo has proved he can get over the bonks and still finish the job!.

well done cav!,and nice to see sir steve redgrave get lifetime award.

the little sports cycling & rowing that both manage to fill the gold coffers for GB at olympic time!.

over a year ago

I agree that the flack Nicole hs got is unjustified, but the problem when you keep pissing people off is that a relatively small incident can be the straw that breaks the camals back. Ask yourself why she so often finds it so hard to get a team? She is known to be incredibly self centred.

What worries me with Cav is that he will need a team to keep it together and lead him out which with just 4 riders... Continental cycling press all say the circuit is one suited to classics riders though the 30km run in should work in his favour.

Not just rowing and cycling, what about triathlon? Shame that the brownlee's weren;t nominated, or particualrly chrissie wellington after her Roth and Kona performances which were incredible!

over a year ago

WORCESTERSHIRE

i always have tremendous admiration for triathletes in combining the training for 3 disciplines,the brownlee brothers are just incredible athletes training 35 hours plus per week,helen jenkins winning 2 world championships but chrissie welllington!,wow!, what a supersonic athlete she is!,4 times ironman world champion!,that takes some dedication to training and lifestyle!.

these athletes,make our overpaid soccer players look proper wimpish!,they who train for a couple of hours on a couple of days a week and chase a windfilled ball around for 90 minutes a week and complain at that about playing twice in a week demanding a rest!.

Post new Message to Thread