Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

10 more things a woman should know

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

According to the 1955 ‘Good House Wife’s Guide’

1.) Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs.

2.) Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favorite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

3.) Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you’ll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your makeup, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.

4.) Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.

5.) Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper, etc. and then run a dust cloth over the tables.

6.) Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

7.) Children are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part. Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.

8.) Be happy to see him. Free him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him. Listen to him.

9.) You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first — remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

10.) Make the evening his. Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure and his very real need to be at home and relax.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"According to the 1955 ‘Good House Wife’s Guide’

1.) Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs.

2.) Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favorite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

3.) Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you’ll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your makeup, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.

4.) Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.

5.) Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper, etc. and then run a dust cloth over the tables.

6.) Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

7.) Children are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part. Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.

8.) Be happy to see him. Free him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him. Listen to him.

9.) You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first — remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

10.) Make the evening his. Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure and his very real need to be at home and relax.

"

you're obviously divorced with no plans to remarry

By *iss SJWoman
over a year ago

Hull

Some men actually still believe that women should be like this - oh and also go out to work full time, you know so they can bring home the bacon cos it’s the twenty first century after all

over a year ago

you're obviously divorced with no plans to remarry "

Don’t agree with it at all, it just made me laugh that this was actually published in the 50’s

over a year ago

"Some men actually still believe that women should be like this - oh and also go out to work full time, you know so they can bring home the bacon cos it’s the twenty first century after all "
I'm not a fan of bacon but bring home the fish if you like

over a year ago

you're obviously divorced with no plans to remarry "

I'm definitely divorced with no plans to remarry..

Especially so after reading that

over a year ago

I wish I had been married in the 50s.

These days you can't suggest a woman needs to know anything... They already know everything, so do the kids, it's just the men who don't know jack... That's what my wife and kids say anyway, and woe betide anyone that disagrees with them.

over a year ago

reminds me of the old Harry Enfield sketch : Women - know your limits!

over a year ago

Especially so after reading that "

Hey he's only joking although he's put a lot of time and effort into this well thought out thread their is something to be said for his fastidiousness

over a year ago

"Some men actually still believe that women should be like this - oh and also go out to work full time, you know so they can bring home the bacon cos it’s the twenty first century after all "

I'm all in favour of sexual equality. Any women want to fix my toilet and change the cam belt on my car?

By *iffaWoman
over a year ago

wherever

You jest but I know guys my age who expect this plus she should also be working herself while doing all of the above.

over a year ago

Cavemen

over a year ago

"Cavemen "

over a year ago

"

Love it OP. Now updating my profile

By *uciyassMan
over a year ago

sheffield

I’m very much in favour of No4. I think it’s important that the Gayness !! Is shared equally and that the woman is prepared to share her frustrations with her loving husband as he gets on all fours and prepares to be basted

over a year ago

"Some men actually still believe that women should be like this - oh and also go out to work full time, you know so they can bring home the bacon cos it’s the twenty first century after all

I'm all in favour of sexual equality. Any women want to fix my toilet and change the cam belt on my car?"

Coughs and gets out the popcorn ... salty is it

over a year ago

"You jest but I know guys my age who expect this plus she should also be working herself while doing all of the above."

Yup. Me too

Men that are so used to relying on women, they dont even know where the bin bags are kept

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"

Brave. Very Brave.

over a year ago

"Some men actually still believe that women should be like this - oh and also go out to work full time, you know so they can bring home the bacon cos it’s the twenty first century after all

I'm all in favour of sexual equality. Any women want to fix my toilet and change the cam belt on my car?

Coughs and gets out the popcorn ... salty is it "

Toffee for me please x

over a year ago

Especially so after reading that Hey he's only joking although he's put a lot of time and effort into this well thought out thread their is something to be said for his fastidiousness "

You aren't very good at spotting C&P posts are you..

over a year ago

Especially so after reading that Hey he's only joking although he's put a lot of time and effort into this well thought out thread their is something to be said for his fastidiousness

You aren't very good at spotting C&P posts are you.. "

I'm just here for the popcorn

over a year ago

The whole thing that was published is an interesting read,think I found it on Flickr.Says a lot about society's views of women at the time.

over a year ago

" You aren't very good at spotting C&P posts are you.. "

In my defence, I’m still suffering from reading and summarising that epic post yesterday

By *tirluvMan
over a year ago

the right frame of mind -London

"You jest but I know guys my age who expect this plus she should also be working herself while doing all of the above.

Yup. Me too

Men that are so used to relying on women, they dont even know where the bin bags are kept"

I do -I'm a binman by trade

over a year ago

"

Thanks op

Now I know where I've been going wrong all these years!

By *aughtyLondonGuyMan
over a year ago

london

This would not be my kind of woman

I like fun, spontaneous women not boring ones that stick to an agenda/timetable. Woman ARE equal not machines without any emotion

over a year ago

So funny

By *ifty grades of shadyCouple
over a year ago

Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight

Four words missing from number 2, it counts as foreplay.

Mrs FGoS

over a year ago

"Cavemen "

Even cave men evolved, don't drag em by the legs they fill up with stones

over a year ago

"You jest but I know guys my age who expect this plus she should also be working herself while doing all of the above.

Yup. Me too

Men that are so used to relying on women, they dont even know where the bin bags are kept"

Hey.

Bin bags? Get up to date... No waste, save the planet.

By *exyspecs and supermanCouple
over a year ago

A house, a very big house in the country

"

Fuck off its 2018

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

My mum, who was married in the fifties would agree with all of that. She uses phrases like "dutiful wife".

There are sub/dom relationships that run along those lines and also whole communities in the states. Google "surrendered wife"

over a year ago

Yup. Me too

Men that are so used to relying on women, they dont even know where the bin bags are kept

Hey.

Bin bags? Get up to date... No waste, save the planet. "

The planet's fucked.

Well and truly

over a year ago

Well.... If I didn't work I would expect to do all that because it would mean I'm working in the home instead. When in relationships and on days off I do points 1-3 at least as I like my partners to feel valued.

I've even cooked for fwbs when staying with them before . Sorry woman if I'm letting the side down

over a year ago

Yup. Me too

So true!!

My ex still blames me for there being no bin bags. We haven't lived together for 7 years!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Well.... If I didn't work I would expect to do all that because it would mean I'm working in the home instead. When in relationships and on days off I do points 1-3 at least as I like my partners to feel valued.

I've even cooked for fwbs when staying with them before . Sorry woman if I'm letting the side down "

There's no problem with valuing and caring for your partner.

When I'm working Mr N makes me coffee when I get in, makes sure the house is welcoming and prepares dinner. I actively look forward to getting home and sitting chatting with him.

If he was working I would do the same

Those rules are outdated and probably very few people lived up to them anyway. I know darn well there were many evenings that my dad came home to a rabble of kids and a wife without a ribbon in her hair

over a year ago

"Well.... If I didn't work I would expect to do all that because it would mean I'm working in the home instead. When in relationships and on days off I do points 1-3 at least as I like my partners to feel valued.

I've even cooked for fwbs when staying with them before . Sorry woman if I'm letting the side down "

When my kids were young only one of us worked. I'd say I changed as many nappies and fed them as much as they were all bottle fed. I took 3 yrs out of work and I did the cooking, shopping, house, garden, shopping and kids (and cars ). I often cooked through out our married life especially when we had guests as I enjoyed it. I'd say it was also a reason our separation was very amicable and smooth and never had any restrictions with kids.

I had a good role model in my own dad. He was way ahead of his time and it showed.

over a year ago

" reminds me of the old Harry Enfield sketch : Women - know your limits! "
same here hahahahaha

By *tirluvMan
over a year ago

the right frame of mind -London

Yup. Me too

Hey.

Bin bags? Get up to date... No waste, save the planet.

The planet's fucked.

Well and truly

"

Now you fucking tell me -my whole career trajectory just wen't in the skip with that comment -what am I wasting time being a binman for?

over a year ago

Dude

Post new Message to Thread