http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-16288101

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

Others may disagree

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yes rightly so, he should be given a 50p fine.

The court then should prosecute the accuser and give him 5 years as a deterrent for fare dodging, trying it on and wasting the courts time.

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

"Others may disagree"

I disagree, look at what happend a few days later, a train guard stabbed, no one stepped in, if they had have done so in that case, it may have been prevented.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-16274920

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Or they could have been stabbed too

over a year ago

Disagree too. He should have left when he was asked to. Prick!

over a year ago

NO!! the ticket man should have informed the transport police who would have met them at the next train station and arrested the boy, this fella was disgusting, who does he think he is doing that to a lad for attempting to dodge a fare?? i pay my way on trains but im not bothered about it, what if it was a girl tryin to dodge a fare, would he have acted the same??

he got what he deserved, he's a thug and peope are saying he's a hero, no chance!!!!

By *ashful BazMan
over a year ago

poole dorset

[Removed by poster at 22/12/11 10:46:44]

over a year ago

i agree he should be charged, i mean how stupid of someone to actually try and help out another person. We should take a leaf from the 'im not getting involved' brigade, i mean the world is a fantastic place just now, why should we want to interfere in any one elses problems?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 22/12/11 10:47:43]

By *ashful BazMan
over a year ago

poole dorset

Who is he, another footie player.

over a year ago

"Others may disagree

I disagree, look at what happend a few days later, a train guard stabbed, no one stepped in, if they had have done so in that case, it may have been prevented.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-16274920"

one case someone stepped in and someone got hurt

another case no one stepped in and someone got hurt

in both cases someone committed an assault

the only difference is one victim was wearing a uniform and one wasn't

Maybe the attacker should get banged up in both cases

over a year ago

The trouble with you lot and I mean the 98% of the NIMBY squad (that Not In My Back Yard) means that the more these cretins get away with it, not just fare dodging but shoplifting, litter louts and the like, and it means it's a downward spiral to a decline of all things decent in our society.

Deal with the simple things now, and the world could (I say could) evolve into a better place.

For those of you old enough to remember, think back to the times tou could play out till it got dark for example, why? Cos we all looked out for each other and not ourselves.

I would have no hesitation of heaving out of a train a low life thief, and that is exactly what he was. But I would let it stop first. I'm not all bad!

Theft? Whilst he didn't actually steal a tangible item, he didn't pay for the ride that everyone else probably did!

And if a fund is created to pay for defence costs, I for one will offer something.

As far as knife crime is concerned, there are limits to even the best of intentions when it comes to people power.

But think on this. If the knife wielding thug had been told to pick up his litter, etc, he might not be standing there now with a knife in hand.

Classic NIMBY in action.

There I feel better now. Rant over for 2011. Merry Christmas.

over a year ago

"The trouble with you lot and I mean the 98% of the NIMBY squad (that Not In My Back Yard) means that the more these cretins get away with it, not just fare dodging but shoplifting, litter louts and the like, and it means it's a downward spiral to a decline of all things decent in our society.

Deal with the simple things now, and the world could (I say could) evolve into a better place.

For those of you old enough to remember, think back to the times tou could play out till it got dark for example, why? Cos we all looked out for each other and not ourselves.

I would have no hesitation of heaving out of a train a low life thief, and that is exactly what he was. But I would let it stop first. I'm not all bad!

Theft? Whilst he didn't actually steal a tangible item, he didn't pay for the ride that everyone else probably did!

And if a fund is created to pay for defence costs, I for one will offer something.

As far as knife crime is concerned, there are limits to even the best of intentions when it comes to people power.

But think on this. If the knife wielding thug had been told to pick up his litter, etc, he might not be standing there now with a knife in hand.

Classic NIMBY in action.

There I feel better now. Rant over for 2011. Merry Christmas. "

I don't think the fare dodging or the alleged assault was serious.

What is serious is the blatant attempt by this little shit to profit by his offense. He should be taught a lesson, a long stretch at her majesty's pleasure should do the trick.

over a year ago

"

"

the fare dodging is also 'alleged' why do you make the false distinction between between the two

By *-and-KCouple
over a year ago

Back of Beyond

[Removed by poster at 22/12/11 12:09:56]

By *-and-KCouple
over a year ago

Back of Beyond

You see this is what happens. A guy steps up to aid a 'public service' worker and gets prosecuted for it.

Meanwhile the real criminal in the story gets a way with it and laughs at this 'justice'. No doubt he'll now go on to do the same sort of thing over and over. Knowing that he is protected against any recriminations by the very laws that should be prosecuting him.

Can anyone tell me what happened to the campaigns run by the government to protect not only nurses and health workers, but all public servants from abuse?

Remember that in this day and age of private industry running such things as buses and trains etc, these employees are still serving the public and as such any aid should be welcomed.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I am guessing public sector workers are told what to do in these situations....is it normal practise in these type of situations to agree to a member of the public to sort out the situation or do they ask for security or the BTP?

over a year ago

I'd step in and have done in similar situations in the past

over a year ago

"

the fare dodging is also 'alleged' why do you make the false distinction between between the two"

The fact he didn't have the correct ticket, gives me a bit of a clue.

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

i didnt know that was his name!

By *uckoldandWifeCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

would this thread be different if the vigilante had thrown off an abusive old lady who was a bit d*unk and was fare dodging or a disabled ex service man who had had one too many with the lads before getting on the train?

over a year ago

"

the fare dodging is also 'alleged' why do you make the false distinction between between the two

"

you didn't answer the question

over a year ago

The fare dodger another scum bag trying to sponge of scociety.

Normal decent folk pay for stuff they work hard to earn a living and pay for bus and train or even petrol the scum feel they dont need to pay!!!.

Good job not all of society are like this in my opinion.

As they say behaviour breed baehaviour and unfortunatly too many now feelthey have the right to do this when they clearly have no morals.

Next will be a shop ifter saying they have the right not to pay for good either.

By *-and-KCouple
over a year ago

Back of Beyond

"I am guessing public sector workers are told what to do in these situations....is it normal practise in these type of situations to agree to a member of the public to sort out the situation or do they ask for security or the BTP?"

And when did you last see a member of the BTP on a late night train? Only time I have ever seen them is walking around mainline stations in pairs during the day.

Like normal police its nice to think that they will be there when needed. In practice the usual answer is they take up to 30-45 minutes to appear, if at all!

I can remember a time when nobody would have done this sort of thing, why? Because the knew that to do so, it wouldn't have been one guy standing up to them, but the whole carriage of passengers. Sadly this sort of public spiritedness died out way back in the the 80's with the rise of 'Its all me, me, me' attitude put forward by the then government.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"I am guessing public sector workers are told what to do in these situations....is it normal practise in these type of situations to agree to a member of the public to sort out the situation or do they ask for security or the BTP?

And when did you last see a member of the BTP on a late night train? Only time I have ever seen them is walking around mainline stations in pairs during the day.

Like normal police its nice to think that they will be there when needed. In practice the usual answer is they take up to 30-45 minutes to appear, if at all!

I can remember a time when nobody would have done this sort of thing, why? Because the knew that to do so, it wouldn't have been one guy standing up to them, but the whole carriage of passengers. Sadly this sort of public spiritedness died out way back in the the 80's with the rise of 'Its all me, me, me' attitude put forward by the then government."

That didn't really answer my question.

You work in the public sector ( or did do if I remember rightly) What do they advise you to in situations like this?

The lad was on the train through the day btw.

over a year ago

"

you didn't answer the question"

I suppose if you're splitting hairs there was an assault, very minor.

As a fare dodger myself in my youth on the tube, who was thrown off more than one train, I'm more bothered this kid is making out that he was the victim, he tried it on, he got caught.

He should cut his losses and move on.

By *-and-KCouple
over a year ago

Back of Beyond

In the NHS we are advised to stand back or back away and call for security help. In this case when faced with somebody being aggressive you hope that they will arrive quickly or that as in this case somebody may come to your aid.

Security, depending on where they are can take 10 minutes or more to arrive. As we all know, it can take 10 seconds for a lout to thump you in the face and then leg it before your help arrives.

Case in point, last week at around 10-30 in the morning. A woman walked into our 'front of house' pharmacy shop with a gp prescription. It was explained to her that we are forbidden to dispense non hospital prescriptions.

The member of staff was treated to verbal abuse, a face full of spittal and the balled up prescription thrown at her. She of course had pressed the emergency button which is linked direct to security control. Two burly security guards arrived out of breath within 5 minutes,but the abuser had already left.

This sort of behaviour would not have happened 20 years ago. Its just another sign of the breakdown and acceptance of bad behaviour in society.

over a year ago

"In the NHS we are advised to stand back or back away and call for security help. In this case when faced with somebody being aggressive you hope that they will arrive quickly or that as in this case somebody may come to your aid.

Security, depending on where they are can take 10 minutes or more to arrive. As we all know, it can take 10 seconds for a lout to thump you in the face and then leg it before your help arrives.

Case in point, last week at around 10-30 in the morning. A woman walked into our 'front of house' pharmacy shop with a gp prescription. It was explained to her that we are forbidden to dispense non hospital prescriptions.

The member of staff was treated to verbal abuse, a face full of spittal and the balled up prescription thrown at her. She of course had pressed the emergency button which is linked direct to security control. Two burly security guards arrived out of breath within 5 minutes,but the abuser had already left.

This sort of behaviour would not have happened 20 years ago. Its just another sign of the breakdown and acceptance of bad behaviour in society."

I sympathise completely with this, I had to sit in A+E one Wednesday evening and couldn't believe what they had to put up with. People with minor or self inflicted problems thinking they had priority over people with serious injuries.

I believe assaulting, including verbal, a member of any public service should carry severe sentences.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Im against any form of violence if its not needed. This gentleman shouldn't have got involved.

over a year ago

How far does this 'not getting involved' go, 3 kids battering another, woman being sexually assaulted, someone robbing your friends, etc etc.

Thank goodness there are people who will have a go, rightly or wrongly.

For bad people to prosper, 'good people must stand idle'

A point to note, he may well have been charged, it will now be 'discussed' in a court of law where all facts are weighed up and if found guilty a suitable punishment will be given.

over a year ago

"The trouble with you lot and I mean the 98% of the NIMBY squad (that Not In My Back Yard) means that the more these cretins get away with it, not just fare dodging but shoplifting, litter louts and the like, and it means it's a downward spiral to a decline of all things decent in our society.

Classic NIMBY in action.

There I feel better now. Rant over for 2011. Merry Christmas. "

I's odd, you've taken the time to spell out that a NIMBY menas Not In My BackYard yet you clearly have no idea what that means or the origins of the term...

Mind you, I'm impressed we've made it this far woithout some equally non-sensical "political correctness gone mad" type of comment!

over a year ago

Some,just some of the people on this thread seem to have the attitude that,ok there may have actually been two offences committed here,an alleged fare dodge and an alleged assault.

however they then look at the one that in their twisted logic actually impinges on their life,they seem to think.. ok someone got assaulted but that bastard fare dodger and his ilk have just put 20p on the price of my weekly train pass. ironically these people are the same ones who accuse others of being NIMBY's..It's all rather pathetic til its there son or daughter then it gets turned on its head

over a year ago

I have changed my mind completely about this issue.

And I feel the reason we have the sick broken society we do is because we allow it. No-one stands up to anti-social or criminal behaviour and the standards have gone down the tube.

I see it every day. I saw it last night. It's high time people stood up and said we aren't having it any more.

I don't no about a big society. I don't see ANY society and that's this country's problem in a nutshell.

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

So....

We have two people who "had a go", one is hailed a hero, and another hailed a "thug".

Think back to news reports of an OAP, female, who waded in when she saw a bunch of lowlives on mopeds smashing their way into a jewellers, she didnt just move them on, she laid into them with a vengence!!!

Then we have a guy who hoiks some scroat off a train (ok, fairly robustly), aforesaid scrote was not only trying to avoid paying for his journey, but also inconvieniencing all the other passengers too.

One gets a pat on the back, and the other gets charged with assault, yet they both were trying to "do their bit".

I wonder if it had been a little old lady chucking the scroate off the train, would the authorities have brought charges?

over a year ago

"So....

We have two people who "had a go", one is hailed a hero, and another hailed a "thug".

Think back to news reports of an OAP, female, who waded in when she saw a bunch of lowlives on mopeds smashing their way into a jewellers, she didnt just move them on, she laid into them with a vengence!!!

Then we have a guy who hoiks some scroat off a train (ok, fairly robustly), aforesaid scrote was not only trying to avoid paying for his journey, but also inconvieniencing all the other passengers too.

One gets a pat on the back, and the other gets charged with assault, yet they both were trying to "do their bit".

I wonder if it had been a little old lady chucking the scroate off the train, would the authorities have brought charges? "

If it had been the old lass you'd probably be seeing her next on one of those TV shows where they give out awards to the community.

The sort of thing Carol Vorderman hosts and you get the odd politician saying she's a heroin.

One rule for one...

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

[Removed by poster at 22/12/11 19:33:39]

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"In the NHS we are advised to stand back or back away and call for security help. In this case when faced with somebody being aggressive you hope that they will arrive quickly or that as in this case somebody may come to your aid.

This sort of behaviour would not have happened 20 years ago. Its just another sign of the breakdown and acceptance of bad behaviour in society."

Thanks.

And yes, this sort of behaviour is disgusting and no one should put up with it....but as you say, all employees normally stick to procedure if possible.

Going back to the lad on the train, he could have been dealt with with the procedure in place too.

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"So....

I wonder if it had been a little old lady chucking the scroate off the train, would the authorities have brought charges? "

A thought indeed.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Going back to the lad on the train, he could have been dealt with with the procedure in place too.

"

absolutely... and the reason why the student hasn't been charged when the the other person has, is that there is more to the story....

the student had bought the right ticket, the actual issue was that the railcard used to buy the ticket at a discounted rate was not valid at that point in time (9.30am instead of 10am)

if they can prove he bought the ticket knowingly..... then they will charge him, however if the ticket was bought at the counter where he would have had to have shown his railcard.. it becomes a lot more of a grey area......

the conductor could have held the train for the BTP to arrive, he could have had the BTP meet them at the next stop.... he could have written him out a penalty notice.......

the person who turfed him off the train, that case was a lot more clear cut, and they could use the youtube footage against him......

By *g99Couple
over a year ago

s

He should be praised for actually getting involved and doing something about it, too many times have people just stood by and let people bully, verbally abuse or just be damn right rude, the male of this couple had to go to court last year because a young male on the bus was asked to leave by the bus driver for using foul language and spitting on the floor, he pushed the bus driver and then graham tried to escort the young man of the bus without touching him, he then tried to punch graham but missed and got a broken nise for his efforts, he tried to get graham charged with racially aggrivated assualt, he was cleared of all and praised by the judge for standing up for his beliefs and trying to help the bus driver,

Now I know this young lad didn't try to assualt anyone but he was damn right rude and shouldn't of been on the train, and he was forced off, simply because he wouldn't leave on his own accord, if he went buy the rules and bought a ticket or just left the train like asked, he would of been forcably removed, he has himself to blame and no one else

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

So being violent to someone because a ticket inspecter wants him off the train is ok....but your husband got a smack in the mouth and that is not ok?

Violence is violence, whatever the excuse people have for doing it.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"

absolutely... and the reason why the student hasn't been charged when the the other person has, is that there is more to the story....

the student had bought the right ticket, the actual issue was that the railcard used to buy the ticket at a discounted rate was not valid at that point in time (9.30am instead of 10am)

if they can prove he bought the ticket knowingly..... then they will charge him, however if the ticket was bought at the counter where he would have had to have shown his railcard.. it becomes a lot more of a grey area......

the conductor could have held the train for the BTP to arrive, he could have had the BTP meet them at the next stop.... he could have written him out a penalty notice.......

the person who turfed him off the train, that case was a lot more clear cut, and they could use the youtube footage against him......

"

You see I have always thought, who knows the full story? Only the people involved.

I had read somewhere that the lad had bought two tickets but they were both singles going the same way...he suggested it was a mistake of the person who sold the ticket as they were trying to get him the best ticket price as he couldn't use his railcard on one of the journeys.

If that was the case...then ok, it isn't the guards fault...but maybe he should have done what you say is in place for these situations.

By *g99Couple
over a year ago

s

My husband didn't get a smack, he gave it in self defence, and the lad got what he deserved, there's too many youths nowadays who think they can do what they want on public transport and intimidate the public! Yet people just sit back and let them do it, it angers me that all respect has been lost for people who serve the public, they get paid to serve the public not get abused! It shouldn't be expected as part of the job

If the young man was picked up punched in the face then thrown off, I would agree that the man should have been charged with assualt, he simply removed the lad of the train, if he went without a fuss he would of been forced, he tried to run back on the train, after being removed.

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"He should be praised for actually getting involved and doing something about it, too many times have people just stood by and let people bully, verbally abuse or just be damn right rude, the male of this couple had to go to court last year because a young male on the bus was asked to leave by the bus driver for using foul language and spitting on the floor, he pushed the bus driver and then graham tried to escort the young man of the bus without touching him, he then tried to punch graham but missed and got a broken nise for his efforts, he tried to get graham charged with racially aggrivated assualt, he was cleared of all and praised by the judge for standing up for his beliefs and trying to help the bus driver,

Now I know this young lad didn't try to assualt anyone but he was damn right rude and shouldn't of been on the train, and he was forced off, simply because he wouldn't leave on his own accord, if he went buy the rules and bought a ticket or just left the train like asked, he would of been forcably removed, he has himself to blame and no one else

"

three cheers for Graham, well done.

By *ensual temptressWoman
over a year ago

Southampton

[Removed by poster at 22/12/11 20:35:53]

By *ensual temptressWoman
over a year ago

Southampton

easiest solution ... lets all just do nothing ! never get involved ,never stand up for ourselves or for others . just make sure the right paper works filled out by the right offical and processed in the right mannor . wouldnt want others think their anti-social behaviour wont be tolerated and accepted would we

By *g99Couple
over a year ago

s

"He should be praised for actually getting involved and doing something about it, too many times have people just stood by and let people bully, verbally abuse or just be damn right rude, the male of this couple had to go to court last year because a young male on the bus was asked to leave by the bus driver for using foul language and spitting on the floor, he pushed the bus driver and then graham tried to escort the young man of the bus without touching him, he then tried to punch graham but missed and got a broken nise for his efforts, he tried to get graham charged with racially aggrivated assualt, he was cleared of all and praised by the judge for standing up for his beliefs and trying to help the bus driver,

:p

three cheers for Graham, well done. "

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

Cant say I agree or disagree with the man stepping in (im on the fence as I dont know the whole details, I've only seen the footage), the thing Im curious about is the footage being filmed and uploaded to you tube or wherever. Surely its a breach of privacy laws someone filming you unawares.

Be interesting if one day someone who is filmed in one of these situations, like that effort of a female effing and jeffing the other week on the train, could actually turn round and start legal proceedings for a breach of privacy or human rights.

Its one thing being filmed by cctv but by someones phone?

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

If the ticket collector/guard was being physically attacked then I think others intervening and becoming physically involved would have been justified....however, the ticket collector wasn't in any danger of being attacked and the 'Big lad' who waded in did so without any request for assistance the official, so he'll have to take his chances in court.

I do have to wonder if 'Big lad' would have got so physical if the alleged fare evader had been a six foot man rather than a scrawny slip of a boy?

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"My husband didn't get a smack, he gave it in self defence, and the lad got what he deserved, there's too many youths nowadays who think they can do what they want on public transport and intimidate the public! Yet people just sit back and let them do it, it angers me that all respect has been lost for people who serve the public, they get paid to serve the public not get abused! It shouldn't be expected as part of the job

If the young man was picked up punched in the face then thrown off, I would agree that the man should have been charged with assualt, he simply removed the lad of the train, if he went without a fuss he would of been forced, he tried to run back on the train, after being removed. "

As I said before, I think Violence is violence, whatever the excuse people have for doing it.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"easiest solution ... lets all just do nothing ! never get involved ,never stand up for ourselves or for others . just make sure the right paper works filled out by the right offical and processed in the right mannor . wouldnt want others think their anti-social behaviour wont be tolerated and accepted would we "

Or...be violent to people and think it is the right way to act

over a year ago

Seen a Story tonight where an old lady fell and broke her leg and lay there for over an hour whilst people drove slowly past - when she lying on the pavement next to the fooking road...

the world is fucked - and i really dont mind saying that nowadays...

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Seen a Story tonight where an old lady fell and broke her leg and lay there for over an hour whilst people drove slowly past - when she lying on the pavement next to the fooking road...

the world is fucked - and i really dont mind saying that nowadays... "

Or....maybe just the place where the old lady lived is fucked?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 22/12/11 22:42:46]

over a year ago

"[Removed by poster at 22/12/11 22:42:46]"

im not going to bite.. il just help anyone i see that i think that needs helping x sorry if thats the wrong way to think nowadays..

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Not going to bite?.....bite at what?

Just because an old lady lying in the road with a broken leg is ignored by people driving by in that particular town....doesn't make the whole world 'fucked'....just the people who drove past in that particular town.

Everyday in villages, towns and cities all over this country, there are countless examples of kindness and people helping each other....everyday.

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

"[Removed by poster at 22/12/11 22:42:46]

im not going to bite.. il just help anyone i see that i think that needs helping x sorry if thats the wrong way to think nowadays.."

Im with you on this, if I can help I will, but not into violence as I may break a nail

Seriously though, if someone was lying in the road or pavement I would stop to check they were ok. I couldnt leave someone just lying there and hope if it was me lying there, someone would come to help.

By *umourCouple
over a year ago

Northants

"Seen a Story tonight where an old lady fell and broke her leg and lay there for over an hour whilst people drove slowly past - when she lying on the pavement next to the fooking road...

the world is fucked - and i really dont mind saying that nowadays...

Or....maybe just the place where the old lady lived is fucked?"

Maybe, Jane. I would like to believe that, but in reality I do think that the "everyone for themselves" culture we appear to have these days is prevelent!

You only have to read some of the threads we have had on the forums where people openly say they don't care what other people think. Where they say that "I do "X" and if it upsets you? Tough!"

Where everyone expects the state to look after them from cradle to grave. Instead of "affording" things themselves, they expect their weekly handouts, even if working!

Yeah, you are sort of right, not everyone is like that, but I would wager that a large proportion on here get handouts of some sort or another, because they are "entitled". Including some of those lamenting the demise of the old days...

over a year ago

"[Removed by poster at 22/12/11 22:42:46]

im not going to bite.. il just help anyone i see that i think that needs helping x sorry if thats the wrong way to think nowadays..

Im with you on this, if I can help I will, but not into violence as I may break a nail

Seriously though, if someone was lying in the road or pavement I would stop to check they were ok. I couldnt leave someone just lying there and hope if it was me lying there, someone would come to help."

Thank You !! i would like to hope that someone would help me - rather than go on a forum and give their reasons for driving past me...

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

I do get told frequently that I am too soft, but I always think that if it was me...

Yes I can be too soft but I'd prefer to help someone rather than step over them when they genuinely need help

over a year ago

"and rightly so too

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-16288101"

have been away from tv's newspapers..news websites etc etc etc for 11 months now....so what is this all about??

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

the world is fucked - and i really dont mind saying that nowadays... "

Was that in Banff?

If so, it was her wrist she broke, and was laid there around 45 minutes, i know thats true, it was a friends 79 year old mother

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

"I am guessing public sector workers are told what to do in these situations....is it normal practise in these type of situations to agree to a member of the public to sort out the situation or do they ask for security or the BTP?

I can remember a time when nobody would have done this sort of thing, why? Because the knew that to do so, it wouldn't have been one guy standing up to them, but the whole carriage of passengers. Sadly this sort of public spiritedness died out way back in the the 80's with the rise of 'Its all me, me, me' attitude put forward by the then government.

That didn't really answer my question.

You work in the public sector ( or did do if I remember rightly) What do they advise you to in situations like this?

The lad was on the train through the day btw."

I'd suggest that you offer to assist the person responsible for the safety and management of the train.

Fare dodging isn't an arrestable offence so a citizen doesn't have any powers to arrest or detain an offender - so any use of force against the individual is a criminal offence. For the 'it's all gone to shit' brigade that's always been the law.

No doubt this bloke thinks he's hard done to, being arrested for doing something he shouldn't - so be it. Magistrates and sheriff's courts are full every Monday morning of people who think they're in the right, right up until the moment they find themselves on the wrong end of a fine.

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

"Cant say I agree or disagree with the man stepping in (im on the fence as I dont know the whole details, I've only seen the footage), the thing Im curious about is the footage being filmed and uploaded to you tube or wherever. Surely its a breach of privacy laws someone filming you unawares.

Be interesting if one day someone who is filmed in one of these situations, like that effort of a female effing and jeffing the other week on the train, could actually turn round and start legal proceedings for a breach of privacy or human rights.

Its one thing being filmed by cctv but by someones phone?"

Britain has very few privacy laws, and in most cases filming someone in a public place (which a train is) would be a legitimate activity.

You might get more protection from the Data Protection Act, but this particular snippet would be covered by public interest and journalism exceptions. Same goes for the woman effing and blinding on a tram - if you choose to behave like that in a public place, you have no complaint.

over a year ago

Being Scottish but having lived in England for a number of years I tend to find the Scottish to be less PC and less tolerant of idiotic behaviour and I think good on them. No one critised the guy who dragged the terrorist out of the burning car and have him a few kicks while at it. He gets a free pint in all the pubs he goes to.

This is just my observation and not criticising the Scottish or English x

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

but I would wager that a large proportion on here get handouts of some sort or another, because they are "entitled". Including some of those lamenting the demise of the old days... "

in the grand hall of fame for sweeping generalisations (if there is one lol)you just got top spot with that one...

how by any sense of reaoned argument do you come to that conclusion?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

Thank You !! i would like to hope that someone would help me - rather than go on a forum and give their reasons for driving past me... "

?

over a year ago

It's amazing how the word entitled can be made to look insidious just by putting a quotation mark either side of it

Post new Message to Thread