Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Local fairytales or knowledge

Jump to newest

By *tella Heels OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

So I’m from Herefordshire, I grew up in Mordiford, where the famous mordiford dragon tale come from, the tale is about a girl called maud who found a baby dragon, the tale has been passed down by generations and is quite well known, itsatale anyone can look up on the internet, however I’m afteryour local tales of dark and intrigue.

So please give us your local story

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I live in Oswestry, near the hill fort, legend has it that Guinevere was born there.

Also close is Whittington. The Castle is linked with the Holy Grail.

Richard Whittington was born in close by Newnes, set out for London where he became a wool merchant, before becoming mayor (Dick Whittington)

Near to Whittington is Babbinswood, where children got lost in the forest, local rumour states Babes in the Wood is based around this area and it's occurrences.

over a year ago

west here ford shire

"I live in Oswestry, near the hill fort, legend has it that Guinevere was born there.

Richard Whittington was born in close by Newnes, set out for London where he became a wool merchant, before becoming mayor (Dick Whittington)

Near to Whittington is Babbinswood, where children got lost in the forest, local rumour states Babes in the Wood is based around this area and it's occurrences."

Love this

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

The Devil himself is meant to hang out in my town.

He’s caused quite a scene over the years.

He made a nosey women who used to hang out the window and stare at him grow massive antlers so she couldn’t get her head back in the window

Driving his carriage down the high street and into a bottomless pit to emerge at “sway gog” he was quite the joy rider

There is a Well in the high street that’s said to have candles burning at the bottom. When they go out he will return.

By *ORDERMANMan
over a year ago

wrexham

"I live in Oswestry, near the hill fort, legend has it that Guinevere was born there.

Near to Whittington is Babbinswood, where children got lost in the forest, local rumour states Babes in the Wood is based around this area and it's occurrences."

Where's babbinswood

over a year ago

St Andrews. Sure there’s a fairy tale in a book somewhere about a Saint Andrew...

over a year ago

Ye olde tale of thee terrible Lambton Worm.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambton_Worm

over a year ago

"

Where's babbinswood "

Google it. Small hamlet inbetween Whittington and Queens Head Oswestry district.

By *riefcase_WankerMan
over a year ago

Milton Keynes

I'm from Milton Keynes, and round here we have an old historical tale abo...ah, fuck it, who am I trying to kid. Probably a good proportion of this site is older than the town

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

I grew up in a Yorkshire village next to a large stately home, which allegedly has a ghost of one of the original owners in there that goes ballistic if her skull is removed from the house. We used to scare ourselves stupid as kids walking through the woods behind it after dark.

By *riefcase_WankerMan
over a year ago

Milton Keynes

Although fun fact, Stony Stratford which has now been absorbed into Milton Keynes is where the expression "A cock and bull story" comes from, as the High Street (Watling Street, or the A5, the old Roman road) has a pub at one end called "The Cock" and another at the other end called (you guessed it) "The Bull"...

In days gone by, travellers of old would stop of a night and embark on a pub crawl where they regaled each other with tales of their adventures...

As the night wore on and more alcohol was consumed, the stories got progressively more outrageous, hence by the time they reached The Cock, the stories had become wildly implausible

over a year ago

I'm from stoke and know loads about the area.

Did you know the term "pot hole" in roads comes from "the potteries", because sometimes some unscrupulous potters would just nip outside and dig up a chunk of road for the clay.

One said hole was once reported to be 4 foot deep.

over a year ago

west here ford shire

Keep them coming this is good Halloween stuff too

over a year ago

I live in clifton village near the grove (which is steeped in history) and theres a place called "the witch's steps" which is an ancient coven where folklore has is that many an evil spell has been cast by the gathered witch's on some poor unfortunate soul.

Not a place to be when night falls,be there at you peril ????

over a year ago

"I grew up in a Yorkshire village next to a large stately home, which allegedly has a ghost of one of the original owners in there that goes ballistic if her skull is removed from the house. We used to scare ourselves stupid as kids walking through the woods behind it after dark."

Burton Agnes Hall by any chance?

By *hatYorkLadMan
over a year ago

York

"I grew up in a Yorkshire village next to a large stately home, which allegedly has a ghost of one of the original owners in there that goes ballistic if her skull is removed from the house. We used to scare ourselves stupid as kids walking through the woods behind it after dark.

Burton Agnes Hall by any chance? "

It may well be

over a year ago

"I grew up in a Yorkshire village next to a large stately home, which allegedly has a ghost of one of the original owners in there that goes ballistic if her skull is removed from the house. We used to scare ourselves stupid as kids walking through the woods behind it after dark."

Owd Nance

over a year ago

"I grew up in a Yorkshire village next to a large stately home, which allegedly has a ghost of one of the original owners in there that goes ballistic if her skull is removed from the house. We used to scare ourselves stupid as kids walking through the woods behind it after dark.

It may well be "

If it is, I went on a school trip there the day before my ninth birthday and we were told that story. It's stuck with me for twenty years!

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

None that I know of in Northampton . Our legends include 50p Lil, and the Amarillo Man ( look them up)

over a year ago

"I grew up in a Yorkshire village next to a large stately home, which allegedly has a ghost of one of the original owners in there that goes ballistic if her skull is removed from the house. We used to scare ourselves stupid as kids walking through the woods

behind it after dark.

It may well be

If it is, I went on a school trip there the day before my ninth birthday and we were told that story. It's stuck with me for twenty years! "

Yes, Look North ran a story on it many years ago.

over a year ago

The Grey Lady who allegedly walks the river bank between Wheatley and Long Sandall.

Story is she was murdered on her way home to Wheatley Hall and that she won't rest until her murderers face justice.

Also have the White Lady & The Lady In Red, similar narratives.

By *ild_oatsMan
over a year ago

the land of saints & sinners

Locally Dozmary Pool on Bodmin moor was thought to be bottomless by locals. It is said to be the lake, in Arthurian legend, that the dying King Arthur threw Excalibur in to after the battle of Camlann after being fatally wounded by Mordred. The lady of the lake’s hand rose from beneath the water to catch the sword before returning to the depths...

Post new Message to Thread