Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Best Broadband ?

Jump to newest

By *uckoo clock OP   Couple
over a year ago

Merseyside

Who in your opinion provides the best broadband.

But not just in terms of cost, but equally, in customer service when inevitably things go wrong ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

BT

over a year ago

I will keep an eye on this thread. I am looking to change broadband providers and need one that is stronger and faster to cope with more devices being used at the same time

over a year ago

the next door neighbour who still hasn't grasped how to secure their wi-fi after so many years

By *r.BlondeMan
over a year ago

Chester/Wirral

"Who in your opinion provides the best broadband.

But not just in terms of cost, but equally, in customer service when inevitably things go wrong ?"

Not Sky it was down for half a day last week

over a year ago

Virgin if you live in a cable area, fast, reliable, good service, but not cheep.

over a year ago

But not just in terms of cost, but equally, in customer service when inevitably things go wrong ?"

It partly depends where you live.

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Have used Sky for years it suits my needs perfectly - price is comparable to other providers, customer service has always been good and get a good enough speed for the level of usage

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Plusnet make you hold for 30 mins every time you phone them.

over a year ago

I was with sky and it was crap to begin with 6mb then had issue where it went to 1mb and in my job i deal with phonelines so know how to check stuff over and after their 3rd tech guy told me it had to be in the master socket ( which it had never been in ) to test properly and for best results i told him to put me through to cancel. As clearly there was a issue on the cable somewhere as phone line was crap but because they do there test to the exchange maybe half a mile away they were happy with the line!

So im now with virgin and cost is same as sky really and on fibre so my lowest speed has been 58mb so can not complain.

But unless you have a fibre to your door step you will always have slower speed then you should as it might be fibre to the exchange but still will be 100 year old copper cable to your door

over a year ago

I changed my router name to 'hack this' recently and had what I thought was a complicated password.

About a week later when I went into the settings the router name had been changed too ' challenge accepted'

over a year ago

I get 60 Mbps now with BT ,I was getting 15 Mbps with orange.

It'll stream to 4 TVs in HD no problem.

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

We've always been with Virgin but the bill has crept up and up to almost £100. The service is ok I think but my boys complain of a lag when they're playing Xbox live.

We're considering moving to Sky for a similar package for £46 for 18 months, that's through Carphone Warehouse

over a year ago

Virgin

over a year ago

"We've always been with Virgin but the bill has crept up and up to almost £100. The service is ok I think but my boys complain of a lag when they're playing Xbox live.

We're considering moving to Sky for a similar package for £46 for 18 months, that's through Carphone Warehouse "

God that is expensive

over a year ago

Virgin via cable. It’s not the cheapest but there’s never any breaks in service. Son uses PS4 without any problems too.

over a year ago

EE. I was with Virgin from back when it was Telewest. I got rid of them when they wouldn’t give me the same deal as they would a new customer. Now I’ve got EE and freeview, loads more channels than the Virgin version and the only issue I had with EE broadband, was fixed promptly and a months credit applied to the account.

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"We've always been with Virgin but the bill has crept up and up to almost £100. The service is ok I think but my boys complain of a lag when they're playing Xbox live.

We're considering moving to Sky for a similar package for £46 for 18 months, that's through Carphone Warehouse

God that is expensive"

I know, I feel like we're being robbed!

over a year ago

Anyone but Sky!

over a year ago

NOT talk talk - awful customer service.

over a year ago

Plusnet win awards and they are based up north with UK call centres. BT/cable provide all the infrastructure anyway so its price and who you can talk to when you need to I guess.

By *omerset tvTV/TS
over a year ago

Weston-super-Mare

Plusnet is just BT anyway operating under a different name

over a year ago

We're considering moving to Sky for a similar package for £46 for 18 months, that's through Carphone Warehouse "

Know exactly what they mean in regards to the lag with Virgin Media! Wouldn’t advise them as customer service not to good either, I’d recommend Sky myself

over a year ago

Mine crept upto that so took skysports off my package and got a free new tivo 6 box for 73 quid. If they are going across wifi with their boxes it will be slower and if on at peak times when alot of people are on then can get slower. If they can get a cable to the router they will get betrer speeds and shouldnt have too much of an issue

over a year ago

Fibre Optic Broadband is by far the best quality internet there is period

Fibre Optic cables throughout the UK are owned and rented out by Virginmedia however, they keep the fastest and most reliable to themselves

So if you want the fastest most reliable internet look no further than Virgin

If your looking for the cheapest then don’t look at Virgin but you will get crap internet

I have over the years used Virgin, SKY, BT etc and a number of other dial ups over the years and nothing compares to Virgin

You get what you pay for

over a year ago

Virgin, check online for speed in your area. Cost, customer service etc can't fault. Been with them a yr.

over a year ago

Just checked my EE connection

55.2 mbps upload

18.9 mbps download

I didn’t ever get anywhere near that with Virgin, and it costs me £35 a month

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 23/10/18 22:37:11]

over a year ago

"Just tested my virgin link.

197mbs down 12.7 up. So pretty quick.

Costs £57 #a month, but that includes £19 line rental and all national plus 1 international number phone calls. So quite compareable really."

I don't use any tv service btw.

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

I was with Virgin for years, the speed kept getting quicker and the price stayed about the same - when I left the area I was paying £45 for 200Mbit, and getting that speed too.

Where I am now is a choice between Vodafone fibre and BT. Vodafone were cheaper, gave me a faster speed (albeit a third of Virgin) , and guarantee that speed.

I haven't considered customer service because

A) all that really matters is the speed and reliability of the connection

B) they're all shit at customer service anyway, if you start reading up.

over a year ago

Santander is giving you £50 cash back to go with first utility.

£35 p/m

Speed in my area 58 - 80mb

Contract length 18months

Free Google home mini

Btw I don't work for Santander just a bargain hunter & love a deal

Post new Message to Thread