Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

social anxiety disorders

Jump to newest

By *adtothecore OP   Man
over a year ago

Paignton

Hey all. I'm agoraphobic. No... I'm quite normal but I have problems with social situations. How do I cope. Do I blurt it out and scare people away or do I hide it and hope it all goes well. What everyone's thoughts

#lonelyandconfused

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *orthantsblueeyesMan
over a year ago

Northampton

I suffer with anxiety OP and openly tell people when I get to know them. It's ok to not be ok

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

As far as fab goes I'd say it's on a need to know basis. If you were going to encounter a situation that had potential to adversely affect you then you would want that person to be aware and be prepared for what could happen.

Conversely you'd also want the reassurance that they would be willing to help you if you needed.

over a year ago

It's far more common than you might think. If you feel it coming on just excuse yourself and get some air. I don't think it hurts to mention why, but don't make a big thing of it.

By *adtothecore OP   Man
over a year ago

Paignton

I don't try and make anything of it. But I find people are negative towards me when I mention it. As for having to excuse myself I'm so aware of it I can't get into situations. I'm quite happy one to one but initial meetings are difficult because they usually involve a social first.

By *adtothecore OP   Man
over a year ago

Paignton

Just to add...... Dotty you are stunning x

By *ilkenWoman
over a year ago

Manchester

"Hey all. I'm agoraphobic. No... I'm quite normal but I have problems with social situations. How do I cope. Do I blurt it out and scare people away or do I hide it and hope it all goes well. What everyone's thoughts

#lonelyandconfused"

Wow it depends I guess on how bad it is!

Out of a matter of interest how can you travel to meet people if you have problems with social situations?

By *adtothecore OP   Man
over a year ago

Paignton

I drive a nice convertible car. A small one.

over a year ago

"I don't try and make anything of it. But I find people are negative towards me when I mention it. As for having to excuse myself I'm so aware of it I can't get into situations. I'm quite happy one to one but initial meetings are difficult because they usually involve a social first."

Many won't understand it. They will think it's just about enclosed spaces, not anxiety in social situations. Maybe lots of communication beforehand? Most people get at least a little nervous before a first social.

By *adtothecore OP   Man
over a year ago

Paignton

[Removed by poster at 22/10/18 10:20:49]

By *adtothecore OP   Man
over a year ago

Paignton

I get terrified. But I'm fed up of being alone

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

It's a sad fact of life, but on a site like this being open about any health problem, especially ones that are socially disabling, is going to make it harder for single men to get a meet.

It's a casual sex site and, on the whole, people are looking for fun uncomplicated meets. If there's a suggestion something might not be fun and uncomplicated people will tend to avoid.

Women are overwhelmed with offers, so if they are a profile indicating someone has problems in social situations, they are highly likely to move on to the next offer.

I do appreciate how issues like the OPs can be awful for them but if you're a bloke and want a meet the best advice is to keep quiet.

over a year ago

Yep...hide it and ride it...all meets are a bit scary at first but unless there is absolutely no chemistry at all (it does happen!) then there’s always the opportunity for a bit of light waffling and banter to smooth things out. The more you do meet the easier it will be for you to do it and if you find someone you click with then you might want to think about doing things as a couple for the extra support. That might not be your thing though but whatever happens the only way to conquer your anxiety is to face it. Oh and try a meditating app (headspace is very good) as for me it really helped to take away some of my fears. Best of luck.

Post new Message to Thread