Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Being single at Christmas....

Jump to newest

By *oxy_minx OP   Woman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

Are you planning on spending Christmas alone this year? If so, how did you break it to family that, that is what you want to do without upsetting anyone?

Need to break the news soon, so all advice welcomed

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Tell them you have gastroenterittus and dont want to spread it lol

over a year ago

Daz spent christmas all alone once. It was the worst christmas he ever had!

over a year ago

Why oes single equate to lonley?

I'm single, seeing friends Xmas eve, family Xmas day and partying until the 3rd

over a year ago

"Are you planning on spending Christmas alone this year? If so, how did you break it to family that, that is what you want to do without upsetting anyone?

Need to break the news soon, so all advice welcomed "

I have found thats its actually easier to go than to get the grief for not going..... use the dog/ lack of drinking as an excuse to leave early, then you can get back home to wallow if you wish- or get pissed and veg in front of the telly!

either way ((((((hugs)))))))))

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"Why oes single equate to lonley?

I'm single, seeing friends Xmas eve, family Xmas day and partying until the 3rd"

but that's not being alone.

over a year ago

"Why oes single equate to lonley?

I'm single, seeing friends Xmas eve, family Xmas day and partying until the 3rd

but that's not being alone."

But that's not the thread tile?

By *oxy_minx OP   Woman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

I've spent Christmas day alone before and loved it! That's why I want to do it again, Bottles of bubbly, a baby chicken, and all the trimmings, bliss

over a year ago

I'm spending it alone

A cause I want to and always have wanted to spend one alone (personal reasons)

B cause I can't get to Scotland to me other half until after Christmas

But I've never had Christmas with family anyway other than my partner

Just say that you want it alone but you want them ta be happy for ya

It's their problem if they have a problem with it

Good luck and enjoy ya day xx

over a year ago

My folks live miles away in another continent, and I see them once every 2 years.

As a family, we stopped "doing" Christmas a long time ago when the children left home to be schooled in another country.

Therefore, being alone at Christmas is not an issue for me.

By *aceytopWoman
over a year ago

from a town near you

i spent christmas day alone last year it was great got up late took the dog for a long walk then we came home and shared christmas dinner,the hoards descended boxing day though

By *oxy_minx OP   Woman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who enjoys it!

By *annGentMan
over a year ago

With a cracking view

Say you're having one to yourself this year.

I've been lucky as I have a job that I can offer to work if I don't want to do much, or I'm now so far from family, I'm not asked any more !

By *annGentMan
over a year ago

With a cracking view

"I've spent Christmas day alone before and loved it! That's why I want to do it again, Bottles of bubbly, a baby chicken, and all the trimmings, bliss "

no buttery ?

over a year ago

few yrs back i had enough of truddling from one brother to the next,s every year at xmas cause i was single so announced i was going elsewhere , on xmas day got up and spent whole day on sofa with remote , dinner was a pizza and beer , was one of the best days i had , no family to fall out with , NIRVANA !!

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"I've spent Christmas day alone before and loved it! That's why I want to do it again, Bottles of bubbly, a baby chicken, and all the trimmings, bliss

no buttery ?"

What on earth did you do to the poor baby chicken

over a year ago

"Are you planning on spending Christmas alone this year? If so, how did you break it to family that, that is what you want to do without upsetting anyone?

Do what I did last new years eve, I told friends I was with family, family I was with friends ..... then went to neither and stayed home alone.

over a year ago

My son moved to Liverpool with his girlfriend and it was likely that he wasn't going to be able to afford to come home, I will be working so whilst my daughter invited me to hers, it seemed unfair for her to have to wait until I finished then drove to hers so I have told her to accept the invitation for Christmas dinner at her boyfriends sisters. I will cook my own dinner then she is popping to mine on their way home. Not quite alone but almost, she did try to persuade me to come to hers but I just decided to stay at home, its a long day and I only fall asleep after dinner so what's the point

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 22/12/11 08:01:36]

over a year ago

got 3 kids so theres no chance of me being alone

Saying that my eldest ones spending xmas away with her partner, going to be a bit wierd not having all my kids xmas day but *sigh* they grow up so fast lol

over a year ago

will be my first xmas on my own this year. my daughters with her dad and my son is seeing a mate whose alone at xmas and not emotionally stable so hes looking after him.

i wont be totally alone i have 4 cats for company.

By *lubPartyPeepsCouple
over a year ago

London

Last year, I had the worse Xmas ever, I had just visited my father to arrange to take him out for Xmas dinner the following week and he died the next day (Choked on his food in the nursing home) so we had to have his funeral the week before Xmas, not a bundle of laughs - At the time I was single, had no family left to speak of, so decided to have an open house on Xmas day for anyone else who was on their own, 5 people were coming, so I got tons of food in for everyone. Two of them cancelled two days before, two of them cancelled the night before and one of them cancelled 20 minutes after I started cooking the dinner.

Facebook that day had a picture of me with a mountain of food in front of me and empty table. I was non plussed to say the least.

Not a good time. Something tells me this one will be better. So certainly anyone on their todd has my sympathy vote.

By *oxy_minx OP   Woman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

But it is not sympathy I want, it's just people think that because you are single you are lonely! I'm not, also family 'expect' you to go to them, all I want is a nice relaxed enjoyable christmas which I can do at my own pace.

Have a long lie, leisurely shower, get dressed, open bubbly, and then open what santa has left for me

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Thanks for the offer but I have plans.

By *lackMetalMan
over a year ago

Centre

"My son moved to Liverpool with his girlfriend and it was likely that he wasn't going to be able to afford to come home, I will be working so whilst my daughter invited me to hers, it seemed unfair for her to have to wait until I finished then drove to hers so I have told her to accept the invitation for Christmas dinner at her boyfriends sisters. I will cook my own dinner then she is popping to mine on their way home. Not quite alone but almost, she did try to persuade me to come to hers but I just decided to stay at home, its a long day and I only fall asleep after dinner so what's the point "

Gonna come and spend Christmas with you..

over a year ago

I do a visiting thing, spending an hour or so with each friend/family member, after they have had their dinner. Then I go home and count the paracetamol

Post new Message to Thread