Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Homelessness

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

(if thats spelt right)

How does a person become homeless? Surely benefits and the local councils are there to help if people get into sticky situations.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Many rough sleepers are either mentally ill, physically ill, heavy drinkers or drug users. They usually have more difficult family backgrounds than most, which may lie at the root of many of these problems. Rough sleepers have often found it difficult to sustain close ties with others, and the break-up of a relationship is the most common trigger for going on the street.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Drink

Drugs

Divorce

Ex Forces unable to cope with civvy life

Loss of job

Low income

Mental illness

Relationship breakdown

Lack of financial skills

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Gambling....forgot gambling.

Never bet your house on a single man getting a meet.

By *eavy Metal BallzMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"(if thats spelt right)

How does a person become homeless? Surely benefits and the local councils are there to help if people get into sticky situations.

"

Hi, you would be supprised how easily it is to fall into homelessness, from losing a job a partner it's not a long road. A friend of mine broke his leg badly and couldn't work, he and his wife were having difficulties anyway and she soon left him, this led to deppression, Unable to pay his mortgage his house was repossessed, ended up sleeping in my spare room for a few months.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Many reasons. could write a 10000 word essay on it. But a couple of basic things

Under age

Alcoholizmn

Mental health issues

Relationship breakup

There is a mental illness called simple scytzophrenia and although it comes under the same group as paranoid scyzophrenia it carries completely different symptoms. Its very hard to detect and people dont know they have it, quite a few homeless people have been seen to have it, some of the symtoms are people going and becoming drifters.

Also a lot of ex service people are homeless

over a year ago

i became homeless 3 years ago when my husband and i split ,i contacted the homeless unit, with my disabled daughter and was told to put my name down with the council,i waited months to get a place which wasnt a nice place and had to eventually go private,council and homeless place were no help

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

There is a saying, everyone is only three months wages away from being homeless

over a year ago

there must be routes of help and advice before suddenly being on the streets though.. citizens advice/samartians etc

over a year ago

Don't really think that can be answered easily. Everyone's situation is different.

Addiction, breakdown of family, job loss, lack of support are just a few reasons. A lot of people are too 'proud' to ask for help and end up homeless quite quickly. Some people choose to be homeless.

You also have to remember that homeless charities class people who sleep on mates sofas as homeless, but a lot of councils won't admit this to make their figures look better!

Therefore, access to benefits isn't quite as simple as it may seem.

If this was just a general question, I hope this can help, if you want to know more, feel free to PM me xxx

over a year ago

just watched something on the news that the average life expectancy is 43 for a man if your homeless

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"there must be routes of help and advice before suddenly being on the streets though.. citizens advice/samartians etc

"

Do you think that someone with mental health problems are alcoholizm would be in a state to seek help out themselves?

over a year ago

"there must be routes of help and advice before suddenly being on the streets though.. citizens advice/samartians etc

Do you think that someone with mental health problems are alcoholizm would be in a state to seek help out themselves?"

no perhaps not.

over a year ago

i waqs homeless for 3 years staying in homeless accommodation there people there to help you

over a year ago

"

Its such a complex problem that, as the posters above have said, there aren't just simple answers.

Those that end up there are rarely clear thinking like yourself, and desperation, hopelessness and financial problems aren't so easy to solve.

There but for the grace of God go I.

I wish all those in dire situations the very best of luck, and would like to

thank those that work for little or sometimes no pay, helping them.

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

Its such a complex problem that, as the posters above have said, there aren't just simple answers.

Those that end up there are rarely clear thinking like yourself, and desperation, hopelessness and financial problems aren't so easy to solve.

There but for the grace of God go I.

I wish all those in dire situations the very best of luck, and would like to

thank those that work for little or sometimes no pay, helping them."

We used to volunteer in a homeless shelter for 16-21 year olds and you wouldn't believe how easy it was for them to become homeless and how difficult it was for then to get access to any kind of benefits. And they were the lucky ones that had somewhere semi permanent to stay, not living rough on the streets.

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Call me cynical if you wish, but i would add a further factor.

It isn't so easy for a bloke to get pregnant at an early age, jump the numerous queues in the welfare system, not least housing, and be more than adequately provided for in many ways. And presumably, internet connections.

Makes you think doesn't it. Or maybe not.

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

"

Call me cynical if you wish, but i would add a further factor.

It isn't so easy for a bloke to get pregnant at an early age, jump the numerous queues in the welfare system, not least housing, and be more than adequately provided for in many ways. And presumably, internet connections.

Makes you think doesn't it. Or maybe not.

"

Agree with you hun

I have two tin hats, care to join me?

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Does "stciky situations" include getting up the duff in the first place?

Post new Message to Thread