Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What class are you?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

After a discussion with my hubby regarding class and me saying I’m working class because I work and him saying middle class. I always thought if you worked you were working class.

What class are you?

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Personally I think it's an outdated concept to distinguish people in such a way these days.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Personally I think it's an outdated concept to distinguish people in such a way these days. "

It probably is but it got me thinking that’s all.

Reply privately

over a year ago

A class of my own

Seriously who categorizes by class these days?

Reply privately

over a year ago

First

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Personally I think it's an outdated concept to distinguish people in such a way these days.

It probably is but it got me thinking that’s all. "

Maybe ignore about your occupation and just think about what sort of person you are inside.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"A class of my own

Seriously who categorizes by class these days?"

Reply privately

over a year ago

I hate the class system. But that's partly because I was brought up by a mum who was acutely aware of it and desperately trying to climb the ladder. I'd class my parents as middle class. I've met upper middle class people and know I'm not that fruity haha

I like people of all classes

Reply privately

over a year ago

According to Google

Working class

hourly workers: the part of society made up of people who work for hourly wages, not salaries, especially manual or industrial laborers

Middle class

social class with average incomes: the section of society between the poor and the wealthy, including many business and professional people and skilled workers

So that's correct I'm middle class

Reply privately

over a year ago

Single male.

So bottom of the tank

Reply privately

over a year ago

"First "

Funny profile pic .Love it

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/10/18 12:55:53]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"After a discussion with my hubby regarding class and me saying I’m working class because I work and him saying middle class. I always thought if you worked you were working class.

What class are you? "

If all working people were working class, what did you classify unemployed people as?

Glad to see from the thread people do not have any regard for peoples class any more

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I am upper class because of my birth, my blood and my lies.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I watched a Dr Phil the other day all about "white privilege". It's something Americans are struggling to grasp as a concept; that one person may be born into a world filled with so many more opportunities and open doors than another. This is basically what class is.

Although I want to see the end of the class system, I don't think that's going to happen by ignoring it. Don't get me wrong, I ignore it in my daily interactions. And that's definitely a key step towards the solution. But there also needs to be a political and critical awareness that some people are born into much more privilege than others and that, if we believe in a fair race, we need to do something about that

Reply privately

over a year ago

"After a discussion with my hubby regarding class and me saying I’m working class because I work and him saying middle class. I always thought if you worked you were working class.

What class are you?

If all working people were working class, what did you classify unemployed people as?

Glad to see from the thread people do not have any regard for peoples class any more "

That’s a good question and I honestly don’t know to be fair.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I am upper class because of my birth, my blood and my lies."

Is there even a working class in Liverpool!

Reply privately

By *obyn GravesTV/TS
over a year ago

1127 walnut avenue

i'm upper class...its obvious by the lord snooty hat i'm wearing

Reply privately

over a year ago

Working class and proud of the fact.

Reply privately

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Working class scum here.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"First

Funny profile pic .Love it "

Thank you

Reply privately

over a year ago

It always amuses me when you get these rich kids whose daddies gave them a 2 million dollar company and they turn it into a 1 million dollar company and then w_ine on about how they got to where they got through hard work and so all the moaning poor people should just shut up, stop laying around on their butts, and try working for a change

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am who i an people either like me for who and what i am or they dont

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I watched a Dr Phil the other day all about "white privilege". It's something Americans are struggling to grasp as a concept; that one person may be born into a world filled with so many more opportunities and open doors than another. This is basically what class is.

Although I want to see the end of the class system, I don't think that's going to happen by ignoring it. Don't get me wrong, I ignore it in my daily interactions. And that's definitely a key step towards the solution. But there also needs to be a political and critical awareness that some people are born into much more privilege than others and that, if we believe in a fair race, we need to do something about that "

I agree with this.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I am upper class because of my birth, my blood and my lies.

Is there even a working class in Liverpool! "

Perish the thought lad.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Well according to some parts of society I’d be classed as lower class. But I’m just me, so take me as I am or not x

Reply privately

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

Im top class...

Reply privately

By *andonmessMan
over a year ago

A world all of his own

"According to Google

Working class

hourly workers: the part of society made up of people who work for hourly wages, not salaries, especially manual or industrial laborers

Middle class

social class with average incomes: the section of society between the poor and the wealthy, including many business and professional people and skilled workers

So that's correct I'm middle class "

But that's where the class rules fall down. I'm a manual worker who is hourly paid but I'm also skilled and earn above the national average.

Fuck it, I'm a class all of my own. Or classless

Reply privately

By *entileschiWoman
over a year ago

Norwich

I don't have a Brie knife so I'm not middle class.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I read books, drink tea and play rugby.

I’m top class

Reply privately

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

"I read books, drink tea and play rugby.

I’m top class "

And I’m in there class ^

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'll always consider myself working class, even if those aren't my circles now. I hauled myself up here and couldn't have otherwise.

Reply privately

over a year ago

What class are you? "

What the doc said.

It's an antiquated concept, with some people relishing the concept of being a particular class I think.

You're quite right. If you work...you're working class!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I watched a Dr Phil the other day all about "white privilege". It's something Americans are struggling to grasp as a concept; that one person may be born into a world filled with so many more opportunities and open doors than another. This is basically what class is.

Although I want to see the end of the class system, I don't think that's going to happen by ignoring it. Don't get me wrong, I ignore it in my daily interactions. And that's definitely a key step towards the solution. But there also needs to be a political and critical awareness that some people are born into much more privilege than others and that, if we believe in a fair race, we need to do something about that "

Do you mean do something about those that are born into privileged back grounds? Not sure I understand?

Reply privately

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I know MY place

https://youtu.be/K2k1iRD2f-c

Reply privately

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Working Class Hero here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMewtlmkV6c

Reply privately

over a year ago

Although I want to see the end of the class system, I don't think that's going to happen by ignoring it. Don't get me wrong, I ignore it in my daily interactions. And that's definitely a key step towards the solution. But there also needs to be a political and critical awareness that some people are born into much more privilege than others and that, if we believe in a fair race, we need to do something about that

Do you mean do something about those that are born into privileged back grounds? Not sure I understand? "

Imagine a 100 meter race with each of the participants on starting blocks at different positions down the track. The gun fires. They run. And the first to cross the line is hailed the winner. I think we can all agree that's not fair.

If instead we take into account their starting positions we could calculate the proper winner by distance run and time it took

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Ask the Indians. They're the experts.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’ve worked 15 days in a row. Guess that makes me a peasant

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"I’ve worked 15 days in a row. Guess that makes me a peasant "

The queen never has a day off, how do you think she feels?! Gor bless her!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Xmen first class

Reply privately

over a year ago

1st class delive_ed

Reply privately

over a year ago

Do you mean do something about those that are born into privileged back grounds? Not sure I understand?

Imagine a 100 meter race with each of the participants on starting blocks at different positions down the track. The gun fires. They run. And the first to cross the line is hailed the winner. I think we can all agree that's not fair.

If instead we take into account their starting positions we could calculate the proper winner by distance run and time it took "

But no-one has control over where or what life they are born into? If your parents have worked hard and are able to give you more how is that wrong or unfair? How are you able to control it? And surely we all want what is best for our children? Life is competitive by nature so every little bit helps? Is it just the less fortunate who complain about other's advantages? And money and privilege doesn't guarantee happiness or good health or even love ...

Reply privately

over a year ago

I suppose im upper class according to google.

I hate the class system.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I like my tea in a mug and and I sometimes drink the last bit of soup out of the bowl if I’m at home so I guess that puts me way down low.

Reply privately

By *ust ClareTV/TS
over a year ago

Settlewick!

I always conside_ed myself working class until I moved to Telford;thats when I realised I was middle class

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm special.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I have no idea what I am! I work does that make me working class? But then that's most people surely?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I always conside_ed myself working class until I moved to Telford;thats when I realised I was middle class "

Reply privately

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

I'm in a class of my own

Reply privately

over a year ago

I thought we were in an age where we didn’t have to declare what class we are ...

Reply privately

By *gnitemybodyWoman
over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Common and rough class

Reply privately

over a year ago

i use to think i was working class but then i went to edinburgh and realized i was upper class.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I thought we were in an age where we didn’t have to declare what class we are ... "

Course we are. No such thing anymore. Loada tosh

Reply privately

over a year ago

The class system is just a way for rich snobs to say they are better or more successful than everyone else. It's bollocks.

Reply privately

By *edMan
over a year ago

cambridgeshire

"I like my tea in a mug and and I sometimes drink the last bit of soup out of the bowl if I’m at home so I guess that puts me way down low. "

It's good to go down occasionally

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The class system is just a way for rich snobs to say they are better or more successful than everyone else. It's bollocks.

"

Personally notice they actually moan less about it

Reply privately

By *edMan
over a year ago

cambridgeshire

I say the class system as to who is upper lower or middle class is outdated.

No matter where you came from or where you are, you will have class or not have class. It's entirely your choice.

Read somewhere, 'Never look down on anyone, unless you are reaching out to help them up'

That's someone that has class.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The class system is just a way for rich snobs to say they are better or more successful than everyone else. It's bollocks.

"

It can also keep you grounded and in touch with your roots.

The class system itself isn't a problem, so much as the notion that there is no class mobility. That's definitely bollocks.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm a different class

Reply privately

over a year ago

If instead we take into account their starting positions we could calculate the proper winner by distance run and time it took

But no-one has control over where or what life they are born into? If your parents have worked hard and are able to give you more how is that wrong or unfair? How are you able to control it? And surely we all want what is best for our children? Life is competitive by nature so every little bit helps? Is it just the less fortunate who complain about other's advantages? And money and privilege doesn't guarantee happiness or good health or even love ... "

Dont think of it as taking from the people who have advantages we can better structure our society to help everyone thrive.

Better access to high quality education, better pathways to further education for people who have had disadvantaged backgrounds.

Most of western governance is set up to keep the rich rich and even more progressive states struggle to bring the poorer populations with them.

Life is competitive but the rules are made by people who already have these advantages so its a bit scewed in theor favor

Reply privately

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

Middle middle class according to Google. Do people still classify themselves by class?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’ve always thought of myself as working class. But now I own a successful pub, I co-own two other businesses. Not through a class system or hand outs from family but through hard work and perseverance.

Where does this put me?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I’ve always thought of myself as working class. But now I own a successful pub, I co-own two other businesses. Not through a class system or hand outs from family but through hard work and perseverance.

Where does this put me? "

successful.

you only get there but determination and sacrifice.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Worked in a few upper class homes.

One in patrticular wanted a “paaaa shaaa”.

Had to see the picture of the “power shower” they wanted.

Reply privately

By *ilbearniMan
over a year ago

peninsula

I was born working class and will always be working class, even though I am now more or less living a middle class lifestyle. You can't change your class, but your kids can be born into a different class.

Reply privately

By *norkelingforclamsMan
over a year ago

Milton Keynes

I’d consider myself upper middling lower working class.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I’ve always thought of myself as working class. But now I own a successful pub, I co-own two other businesses. Not through a class system or hand outs from family but through hard work and perseverance.

Where does this put me? "

Where you choose, I'd say.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Class of '79...

Reply privately

By *sylockeWoman
over a year ago

East Anglia

"I was born working class and will always be working class, even though I am now more or less living a middle class lifestyle. You can't change your class, but your kids can be born into a different class. "

Totally agree. That’s how I see myself. I’m proud of my working class roots.

Reply privately

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"

I thought it was to give people the opportunity to blame everyone else for their lack of effort?

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/10/18 21:28:19]

Reply privately

over a year ago

Well I’m just going to answer the question the OP has posed and not get into a debate about the class system.

My upbringing very working class, and also very poor, every penny counted. Today I guess with my job and situation people would define me as middle class. But I think I’m more true to my roots than my current domestic and personal situation would suggest. I’m not ashamed to come from a working class background.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The problem with class privilege is that it becomes ingrained.

If we return to the 100 meter dash. Imagine in the first race they all start at the same distance.

Then their children get to start the race nearer to the finish line based on how much their parent won by. This seems perhaps a little unfair but understandable that they get to inherit something from their parents efforts.

Then their children get to adjust their position nearer to the finish line based on their parents winning position.

Slowly but surely the descendents of those who won the first game edge closer and closer to the finish line, because their advantage helps them win by more and more, thereby ensuring that their lineage will *always* win no matter what. A 100 meter dash where one person is all the way back at the 99 meter mark and another has only to step forward and they'll cross the finish line will be a foregone conclusion forever more. Especially as every successive game the next generation of winners gets to move their position ever nearer the finish line.

It's this entrenchment of privilege which means the poor may as well not bother because they'll never win which shoots the whole system in the foot. At some point it becomes deeply unethical and counter productive and steps have to be taken to try and get back to a more level playing field, if only to press the reset button and give a wider range of a new generation a chance again

Reply privately

By *iSTARessWoman
over a year ago

London

Working class and proud.

My sister married up and now considers herself middle. I call her Hyacinth Bucket

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The problem with class privilege is that it becomes ingrained.

If we return to the 100 meter dash. Imagine in the first race they all start at the same distance.

Then their children get to start the race nearer to the finish line based on how much their parent won by. This seems perhaps a little unfair but understandable that they get to inherit something from their parents efforts.

Then their children get to adjust their position nearer to the finish line based on their parents winning position.

Slowly but surely the descendents of those who won the first game edge closer and closer to the finish line, because their advantage helps them win by more and more, thereby ensuring that their lineage will *always* win no matter what. A 100 meter dash where one person is all the way back at the 99 meter mark and another has only to step forward and they'll cross the finish line will be a foregone conclusion forever more. Especially as every successive game the next generation of winners gets to move their position ever nearer the finish line.

It's this entrenchment of privilege which means the poor may as well not bother because they'll never win which shoots the whole system in the foot. At some point it becomes deeply unethical and counter productive and steps have to be taken to try and get back to a more level playing field, if only to press the reset button and give a wider range of a new generation a chance again "

Or you might just need some family members with the will to run..

Reply privately

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

I know what Diamond Cougar would say: PURE.

Reply privately

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

Some people think I am middle class because of my job, others think I am Working class due to where I live

Class can fluctuate due to various conditions

Reply privately

over a year ago

What do you re use glass ramikins desserts come in as -

1 - For more desserts and pot pourri - middle class

2 - as an ashtray - working class

Reply privately

By *eesideMan
over a year ago

margate sumwear by the sea

I'm working and upper class....

Depending on wot I'm doing on the day LOL

Reply privately

By *arry and AnnCouple
over a year ago

Louth

"First "

Your profile pic just made me burst out laughing, absolutly brilliant

Reply privately

By *y Favorite PornstarCouple
over a year ago

Basingstoke

"I always conside_ed myself working class until I moved to Telford;thats when I realised I was middle class "

Reply privately

By *exyspecs and supermanCouple
over a year ago

A house, a very big house in the country

None

I'm Human.

Ss

Reply privately

over a year ago

Kill the rich and level the playing field?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

"Personally I think it's an outdated concept to distinguish people in such a way these days.

It probably is but it got me thinking that’s all. "

I think it's the most important distinction there is because a large part of it is the values you choose. Too many people use class interchangeably with wealth. Whilst they correlate, a lot of upper class people are land rich, cash poor. Then you have working class footballers who are heavily cash rich but remain pure white trash like Wayne Rooney.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I did a test fairly recently which decided that I was aspiring working class. In fact if I seem to remember correctly I was just a trip to the opera short of becoming middle class.

What a load of crap.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's this entrenchment of privilege which means the poor may as well not bother because they'll never win which shoots the whole system in the foot. At some point it becomes deeply unethical and counter productive and steps have to be taken to try and get back to a more level playing field, if only to press the reset button and give a wider range of a new generation a chance again

Or you might just need some family members with the will to run.."

I think people need to realise that living isn't a zero sum game

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

Kill the rich and level the playing field? "

That was basically the jist of it. It was a very selective reading of 'advantages'. People from real privilege are pretty aware of it in my experience. I think they pulled a fast one when you do a show and have ethnic minorities going "wow, I had no idea I was so privileged" (because i wasn't raised by a crack whore).

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think it's the most important distinction there is because a large part of it is the values you choose. Too many people use class interchangeably with wealth. Whilst they correlate, a lot of upper class people are land rich, cash poor. Then you have working class footballers who are heavily cash rich but remain pure white trash like Wayne Rooney. "

I prefer the other concept of class...good actions.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don’t agree with the class system at all, my job, education and background would say middle class however I’m a single parent and rent my house so others would say I’m the dregs of society.

I think if you need to work to be able to live you are working class, if you can afford to not work but lunch all day and sit on charity boards you are probably aristocracy, anything in between is just so people can make themselves feel better.

Also don’t get me started on women who social climb on the backs of their husbands hard work and think they are superior to everyone else - they are the worst (can you tell I’ve had a run in with a couple of those, with the ‘do you not know who I am’ comments)

Reply privately

By *eathrow_blokeMan
over a year ago

Crowthorne

Common as muck

Reply privately

over a year ago

Everyone trying to prove themselves and themselves a story here. Real class is ignoring all that pathetic nonsense.

The only privilege is freedom if you think about it and real class is about how you comport yourself and treat others.

Reply privately

By *orwegian BlueMan
over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

I must say that one is definitely upper class, erm, but then one is the future monarch as soon as mummy pops her clogs..

Oh I do hope I haven't given away who I am, I would hate for Camilla to find out I'm on Fab...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"real class is about how you comport yourself and treat others. "

Nailed it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

"Everyone trying to prove themselves and themselves a story here. Real class is ignoring all that pathetic nonsense.

The only privilege is freedom if you think about it and real class is about how you comport yourself and treat others. "

I don't think you can ignore it. I had a long term relationship with someone beneath my class and it was like trying to push a car up a mountain. It wasn't her fault and she wasn't a bad person, but our class difference made it impossible to agree a set of common goals for our relationship.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Everyone trying to prove themselves and themselves a story here. Real class is ignoring all that pathetic nonsense.

The only privilege is freedom if you think about it and real class is about how you comport yourself and treat others.

I don't think you can ignore it. I had a long term relationship with someone beneath my class and it was like trying to push a car up a mountain. It wasn't her fault and she wasn't a bad person, but our class difference made it impossible to agree a set of common goals for our relationship. "

Like everything control what you can and ignore what you can't, hierarchies exist but they don't correlate with what your parents do for a living. Just because you didn't find someone up to your level from a different background than you doesn't really prove the point you want to make. It matte_ed in that case (for you, I'll add) but that's only one case out of millions.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Part other classless society

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

I don't think you can ignore it. I had a long term relationship with someone beneath my class and it was like trying to push a car up a mountain. It wasn't her fault and she wasn't a bad person, but our class difference made it impossible to agree a set of common goals for our relationship.

Like everything control what you can and ignore what you can't, hierarchies exist but they don't correlate with what your parents do for a living. Just because you didn't find someone up to your level from a different background than you doesn't really prove the point you want to make. It matte_ed in that case (for you, I'll add) but that's only one case out of millions."

Then allow me to restate the conclusion of my anecdotal experience: i believe the vast majority of people would be happier in a relationship with someone from the same class as themselves.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Class-less.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"According to Google

Working class

Middle class

So that's correct I'm middle class "

So that makes me somewhere inbetween working and middle. Low wage but it's not hourly. I get a standard amount each week. It's manual but skilled/semi skilled.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Like everything control what you can and ignore what you can't, hierarchies exist but they don't correlate with what your parents do for a living. Just because you didn't find someone up to your level from a different background than you doesn't really prove the point you want to make. It matte_ed in that case (for you, I'll add) but that's only one case out of millions.

Then allow me to restate the conclusion of my anecdotal experience: i believe the vast majority of people would be happier in a relationship with someone from the same class as themselves. "

Ooh no; I aim much higher

Reply privately

over a year ago

Then allow me to restate the conclusion of my anecdotal experience: i believe the vast majority of people would be happier in a relationship with someone from the same class as themselves. "

I expect better than anecdotes, testimony and personal beliefs from you

Reply privately

over a year ago

I was in _ed class in first school

Reply privately

over a year ago

Then allow me to restate the conclusion of my anecdotal experience: i believe the vast majority of people would be happier in a relationship with someone from the same class as themselves.

Ooh no; I aim much higher "

Patriarchal toxic feminity

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

Ooh no; I aim much higher "

Female hypergamy is a lot more common than female hypogamy. There's a fascinating, but heart breaking, documentary on YouTube called "a murder in the family". It's about a middle class american guy who marries a low class Filipino woman. Spoiler alert: she cheats on him with a low class Filipino man because she finds she has nothing in common with him.

Reply privately

over a year ago

God knows but I rock primarny and Vivienne sometimes I work sometimes I don’t sometimes I’m rich sometimes I’m poor so what class am I xxx

Reply privately

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

After doing an online test we came out as lower middle class . Had to do a test as we had no idea , and the test didn’t mention money , home ownership or anything like that .

Reply privately

over a year ago

probably Spin

Reply privately

By *illyjohnyCouple
over a year ago

brighton

we're in the class of 2018

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

I expect better than anecdotes, testimony and personal beliefs from you "

I've looked at the hard research on this subject and it's heavily flawed. The academic world has convinced themselves that female hypogamy is becoming more and more common. It's not true at all. They arrive at this conclusion by heavily weighting education as the major factor of class and failed to distinguish the quality of different degrees.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Zzzzzz zzzzz zzzzz

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think by looked you meant that you've been reading too many _ed pill websites but anyway...I agree and it even disproved your point about everyone being happy marrying someone in the same class.

Women traditionally looked to marry up for resources and that is generally still the case but much weaker now that women GET PAID FAIRLY AND HAVE ACCESS TO ANY OPPORTUNITY THEY HAVE THE TALENT FOR

Reply privately

over a year ago

Or you might just need some family members with the will to run.."

You could be Usain fucking Bolt on that 99 meter line racing against the world's sickliest laziest old man on the 10cm line and you still wouldn't stand a chance of winning.

The system becomes rigged and all of this talk about "well why don't you try harder" just becomes a sick and twisted joke, mocking people who are truly struggling in ways equal if not exceeding their wealthy counter parts but simply treading water against the flow of a system rigged against them.

I'm sorry. But if you simply don't think this is correct you're delusional

Reply privately

over a year ago

Soulful kinky do you get what I said about life not being a zero sum game? If I win, it doesn't require someone else to lose.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The most deeply unethical thing I'm seeing here is trying to convince people that the world is so against them that they should stop trying.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’m first of course lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

Or you might just need some family members with the will to run..

You could be Usain fucking Bolt on that 99 meter line racing against the world's sickliest laziest old man on the 10cm line and you still wouldn't stand a chance of winning.

The system becomes rigged and all of this talk about "well why don't you try harder" just becomes a sick and twisted joke, mocking people who are truly struggling in ways equal if not exceeding their wealthy counter parts but simply treading water against the flow of a system rigged against them.

I'm sorry. But if you simply don't think this is correct you're delusional "

Everyone started at the same start line. How far you are down this hypothetical 100m track is a circumstance of history. It's no good whining because others are ahead of you.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

"Soulful kinky do you get what I said about life not being a zero sum game? If I win, it doesn't require someone else to lose.

"

It doesn't have to, but it can. You understand why it wouldn't be good for a society if all (key word) the houses were owned by a few landlords and everyone else had to rent. Then those landlords just passed ownership of said houses onto kids who effectively get paid for sitting on their assets.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Soulful kinky do you get what I said about life not being a zero sum game? If I win, it doesn't require someone else to lose.

"

I totally get that. But you only have to look at the property market to realise there aren't any lovely old barns or country cottages to convert any more. The trouble with Capitalism is that it's effectively a wild fire model of growth wherein the prior generations develop such a monopoly over their assets that the next generation has to think of a new set of assets.

There is no doubt in my mind that some of these things get entrenched and need disrupting.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I totally get that. But you only have to look at the property market to realise there aren't any lovely old barns or country cottages to convert any more. The trouble with Capitalism is that it's effectively a wild fire model of growth wherein the prior generations develop such a monopoly over their assets that the next generation has to think of a new set of assets.

There is no doubt in my mind that some of these things get entrenched and need disrupting. "

You are only thinking short term and too simply.

Things move in cycles and reckonings can come. Hyperinflation as one example...makes large debts tiny and destroys wealth.

Those at the top often end up at the bottom if they take too many risks. Gravy trains run out of steam, things change, most people complain and a select few do something to make lemonade out of lemons.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It doesn't have to, but it can. You understand why it wouldn't be good for a society if all (key word) the houses were owned by a few landlords and everyone else had to rent. Then those landlords just passed ownership of said houses onto kids who effectively get paid for sitting on their assets. "

It's never going to happen so it's pointless to think about but tell me why would it be so bad, if a small few were stupidly wealthy and everyone had a roof over their head?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

[Removed by poster at 21/10/18 22:56:56]

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

It doesn't have to, but it can. You understand why it wouldn't be good for a society if all (key word) the houses were owned by a few landlords and everyone else had to rent. Then those landlords just passed ownership of said houses onto kids who effectively get paid for sitting on their assets.

It's never going to happen so it's pointless to think about but tell me why would it be so bad, if a small few were stupidly wealthy and everyone had a roof over their head?"

I'm not saying it's likely, just a theoretical limit to a free market that we should all be able to agree upon. The problem with it is that rent-seeking behaviour, whether private or state, undermines the ability of capitalism to work. Capitalism needs to move money from less productive uses, to higher productive uses so a degree of risk is essential to ensure this constant movement of investment. If a large proportion of the money in an economy expands itself from non productive uses and elites can live off this, why the flip would they ever risk it?

Have you ever seen an American football team run out the clock by taking a knee?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Everyone is getting class and physical wealth muddled up. If you are born upper class and become homeless for whatever reason or working class and win a huge amount on the lottery your class tends not to change! It will still s_ine through ...

Reply privately

over a year ago

I was so hoping this was an rpg thread. Rogue, if anyone asks.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

"Everyone is getting class and physical wealth muddled up. If you are born upper class and become homeless for whatever reason or working class and win a huge amount on the lottery your class tends not to change! It will still s_ine through ... "

I already ente_ed Wayne Rooney into evidence in support of this principle.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's never going to happen so it's pointless to think about but tell me why would it be so bad, if a small few were stupidly wealthy and everyone had a roof over their head?

I'm not saying it's likely, just a theoretical limit to a free market that we should all be able to agree upon. The problem with it is that rent-seeking behaviour, whether private or state, undermines the ability of capitalism to work. Capitalism needs to move money from less productive uses, to higher productive uses so a degree of risk is essential to ensure this constant movement of investment. If a large proportion of the money in an economy expands itself from non productive uses and elites can live off this, why the flip would they ever risk it?

Have you ever seen an American football team run out the clock by taking a knee? "

There's plenty of money around...governments print or borrow money to tailor inflation to their needs.

What's a productive asset anyway ..some wanky marketing or big data startup inventing new ways to turn consumers against their best interests ??!

Life will go on and in a faster moving world class has never been so irrelevant (and fluid)

Reply privately

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

There is no doubt in my mind that some of these things get entrenched and need disrupting. "

And the trouble with socialism isn’t that no one wants to risk anything and take the bull by the horns to get things done . If you want to see how socialism works take a look at Venezuela , something JC seems to stay very quiet about , yet he wants that model to happen here !

There’s nothing wrong with capitalism , it’s a natural driving force for those with the ability to make things happen to do well . Which in turn helps those they employ et al .

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

Have you ever seen an American football team run out the clock by taking a knee?

There's plenty of money around...governments print or borrow money to tailor inflation to their needs.

What's a productive asset anyway ..some wanky marketing or big data startup inventing new ways to turn consumers against their best interests ??!

Life will go on and in a faster moving world class has never been so irrelevant (and fluid) "

What's a productive asset? Have a watch of idiocracy and see what an economy looks like when they can produce reality TV but not food.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Everyone started at the same start line. How far you are down this hypothetical 100m track is a circumstance of history. It's no good whining because others are ahead of you."

It's not about whining. Once a set of privileges get hard wi_ed into a system it promotes disillusionment in the system among those it works against. This promotes crime, negligence, poor health, etc. It also creates a large body of people who aren't contributing to society in an energetic way, starting new businesses, paying more tax, etc. The system starts breaking and malfunctioning.

There was a reality show on TV once where one set of people had to be the Lord and lady of a stately home for a few weeks whilst the others had to be the servants. Perhaps unsurprisingly, when interviewed afterwards those who were the servants hated the experience and said they never want to experience anything like it again. Meanwhile the other set of people really rather enjoyed themselves and wished their lives could be more like that.

This is why those with privilege don't see it whilst those without are fucking enraged by it. I'm middle class. I had a very comfortable and shelte_ed upbringing. I'm just insensed by the unfairness of it that's all

Reply privately

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Epsilon

Reply privately

over a year ago

Life will go on and in a faster moving world class has never been so irrelevant (and fluid)

What's a productive asset? Have a watch of idiocracy and see what an economy looks like when they can produce reality TV but not food. "

I was taking the piss

All the landlords getting rent while people grow good food and produce goods to sell in the community and pay rent with sounds ideal to me .

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

What's a productive asset? Have a watch of idiocracy and see what an economy looks like when they can produce reality TV but not food.

I was taking the piss

All the landlords getting rent while people grow good food and produce goods to sell in the community and pay rent with sounds ideal to me ."

Feudalism - fuck yeah

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Everyone started at the same start line. How far you are down this hypothetical 100m track is a circumstance of history. It's no good whining because others are ahead of you.

It's not about whining. Once a set of privileges get hard wi_ed into a system it promotes disillusionment in the system among those it works against. This promotes crime, negligence, poor health, etc. It also creates a large body of people who aren't contributing to society in an energetic way, starting new businesses, paying more tax, etc. The system starts breaking and malfunctioning.

There was a reality show on TV once where one set of people had to be the Lord and lady of a stately home for a few weeks whilst the others had to be the servants. Perhaps unsurprisingly, when interviewed afterwards those who were the servants hated the experience and said they never want to experience anything like it again. Meanwhile the other set of people really rather enjoyed themselves and wished their lives could be more like that.

This is why those with privilege don't see it whilst those without are fucking enraged by it. I'm middle class. I had a very comfortable and shelte_ed upbringing. I'm just insensed by the unfairness of it that's all "

So you promote the idea of how shit life is (stirring populism and creating Brexit for yourself) to alleviate your guilt?

Smart!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I was taking the piss

All the landlords getting rent while people grow good food and produce goods to sell in the community and pay rent with sounds ideal to me ."

Landlords get greedy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You could argue that untethe_ed welfare is the real system that creates intergenerational apathy and unproductivity.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Everyone started at the same start line. How far you are down this hypothetical 100m track is a circumstance of history. It's no good whining because others are ahead of you.

This is why those with privilege don't see it whilst those without are fucking enraged by it. I'm middle class. I had a very comfortable and shelte_ed upbringing. I'm just insensed by the unfairness of it that's all

So you promote the idea of how shit life is (stirring populism and creating Brexit for yourself) to alleviate your guilt?

Smart! "

I have no guilt. I haven't played a role in acquiring my privilege. That's what people who react emotionally to this idea don't get. I've merely been born into a system which is much more gea_ed to my success than some other people. This is because prior generations of privileged people failed to use their power to adequately rebalance this injustice. My guilt would only come if I carried on contributing to that. Then I would be part of the problem rather than the solution.

It's like global warming but with priveledge. Lots of people acting without thinking through the ramifications of their actions and slowly heating the system up to breaking point. It's why Capitalism thrives on boom or bust.

Imo what the UK government did wrong with the financial crash is print money to rescue the banks. Instead they should've let brutal Capitalism run it's course, bankrupt a whole series of big businesses, send the housing market into meltdown, and cause millions of wealthy people to loose much of what they owned. Then we'd be in a new equal age with all those lovely old barns and country cottages up for grabs again.

That's not socialism. That's just rampant Capitalism that's not protectionist to its wealthy elites

Reply privately

over a year ago

Using the traditional class system I was born into working class but worked up to middle class.

And so, finally, that sociology course I aced has come in handy!

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Student class, just below working class

People are people and the UK class system' need

S to die out

Reply privately

By *imandher84Couple
over a year ago

Leeds

Segregation mostly aka special class

Reply privately

over a year ago

Read absolutely none of this, but if no one else has said it yet..

I’m just fuckin classy.

Mum & Dad had servants at one point.

Reply privately

over a year ago

But I bet there’s some seriously hard core Marxist and up the working class shit goin on up above this one.

Like abolish the class system, down with the monarchy and everybody’s equal type shit goin on up there.

Comrades.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

Citizen smith lives!

Up the tooting popular front!

Reply privately

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"Common as muck"

Now that programme was class!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sheer

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Sheer"

Ha . Like it

Reply privately

over a year ago

What class are you? "

First class

Reply privately

over a year ago

Well I ain't maths. Nothing adding up at the moment

Reply privately

By *htcMan
over a year ago

MK

the hardest working class, the one who does all the hard work while others get paid more to do easier things

Reply privately

over a year ago

A dogsbody, definitely working class and proud of it.

Reply privately

By *oneeMan
over a year ago

bath

All though in my working days I earned a six figure salary I always conside_ed myself working class, my parents were hard working people doing manual work and didn't earn much and I like to think I am like them, good honest people.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm council estate working class and proud of it

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

I know my place

Reply privately

By *uxom _edCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

According to an online survey

Working class.

Reply privately

over a year ago

But no-one has control over where or what life they are born into? If your parents have worked hard and are able to give you more how is that wrong or unfair? How are you able to control it? And surely we all want what is best for our children? Life is competitive by nature so every little bit helps? Is it just the less fortunate who complain about other's advantages? And money and privilege doesn't guarantee happiness or good health or even love ... "

Health and well being is affected by wealth.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I thought we were in an age where we didn’t have to declare what class we are ...

Course we are. No such thing anymore. Loada tosh "

That's what the ruling classes want you to believe.

Reply privately

over a year ago

But no-one has control over where or what life they are born into? If your parents have worked hard and are able to give you more how is that wrong or unfair? How are you able to control it? And surely we all want what is best for our children? Life is competitive by nature so every little bit helps? Is it just the less fortunate who complain about other's advantages? And money and privilege doesn't guarantee happiness or good health or even love ...

Dont think of it as taking from the people who have advantages we can better structure our society to help everyone thrive.

Better access to high quality education, better pathways to further education for people who have had disadvantaged backgrounds.

Most of western governance is set up to keep the rich rich and even more progressive states struggle to bring the poorer populations with them.

Life is competitive but the rules are made by people who already have these advantages so its a bit scewed in theor favor"

true, we can only begin to deal with inequalities by first becoming aware and acknowledging them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

"I thought we were in an age where we didn’t have to declare what class we are ...

Course we are. No such thing anymore. Loada tosh

That's what the ruling classes want you to believe. "

A lot of people are proud of being ruled according to this thread...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Well I’m just going to answer the question the OP has posed and not get into a debate about the class system.

My upbringing very working class, and also very poor, every penny counted. Today I guess with my job and situation people would define me as middle class. But I think I’m more true to my roots than my current domestic and personal situation would suggest. I’m not ashamed to come from a working class background. "

Ditto

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think there has to be more factors than just class, eg education attainment.

Reply privately

By *riefcase_WankerMan
over a year ago

Milton Keynes

I think it's undeniable that the whole notion of class is a load of shite, but it's also impossible to deny that it is a seething undercurrent that peculiarly affects British society in particular

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think it's a state of mind as much as anything else, but there are definitely people you can pretty objectively point to and identify their class.

I myself am very firmly and quite proudly working class. L on the other hand is straight up middle class.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

I think there has to be more factors than just class, eg education attainment. "

Educational attainment is a major factor in determining ones class

Reply privately

over a year ago

Educational attainment is a major factor in determining ones class"

And where your money came from

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

"I think it's a state of mind as much as anything else, but there are definitely people you can pretty objectively point to and identify their class.

I myself am very firmly and quite proudly working class. L on the other hand is straight up middle class."

Statistically it's unusual to find women marrying below their class...

#justsaying

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

Educational attainment is a major factor in determining ones class

And where your money came from "

This thread reminds me of that episode of the IT crowd where Roy becomes desperate to fit in with working class men so he gets an app to help him speak like a working class man.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Educational attainment is a major factor in determining ones class"

It is a factor.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Health and well being is affected by wealth. "

Indeed, but it's affected more by attitude.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Indeed, but it's affected more by attitude."

Nope.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Maybe ignore about your occupation and just think about what sort of person you are inside. "

I’m a twat, therefore twat-class

Reply privately

over a year ago

Nope. "

Wealth can buy better care but luckily in this country we all get healthcare, but stress does affect health and that is across all classes regardless of the cause

Reply privately

over a year ago

Nope.

Wealth can buy better care but luckily in this country we all get healthcare, but stress does affect health and that is across all classes regardless of the cause "

Brain wants to sleep - too much studying . Just let me assure you, wealth matters. Socioeconomic deprivation affects health. Lots of health research provides evidence that the poorer you are, the higher the risk for poor health.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Nope.

Wealth can buy better care but luckily in this country we all get healthcare, but stress does affect health and that is across all classes regardless of the cause

Brain wants to sleep - too much studying . Just let me assure you, wealth matters. Socioeconomic deprivation affects health. Lots of health research provides evidence that the poorer you are, the higher the risk for poor health. "

Royal Marines are not, by and large, wealthy. They are pretty healthy as a group. Attitude.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think it's a state of mind as much as anything else, but there are definitely people you can pretty objectively point to and identify their class.

I myself am very firmly and quite proudly working class. L on the other hand is straight up middle class.

#justsaying "

Totally agree, it's a rarity. But the facts in this case can't really tell any other story. A contrast of me, the son of two cleaners and latterly a publican and her the daughter of a routinely published author and a recipient of significant public honours.

Perhaps she likes a bit of rough, or perhaps it's that I've never really fit in among the working class and was taught to aspire to being proper (without forgetting who I am)

Either way, she makes me very happy and I'd hope I do her

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

#justsaying

Totally agree, it's a rarity. But the facts in this case can't really tell any other story. A contrast of me, the son of two cleaners and latterly a publican and her the daughter of a routinely published author and a recipient of significant public honours.

Perhaps she likes a bit of rough, or perhaps it's that I've never really fit in among the working class and was taught to aspire to being proper (without forgetting who I am)

Either way, she makes me very happy and I'd hope I do her"

So I take it the dinner parties were her idea then?

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I’ll close this thread. Away, yon plebiscite!

Reply privately

over a year ago

#justsaying

So I take it the dinner parties were her idea then? "

Haha very much so.

I can hold my own in such situations, I've had to adapt and I'm told that very few people can actually tell that I'm not "one of them" from general conversation (unless there's another working class northerner about, then it all comes to the surface haha). But it would not be my usual affair no :P

Reply privately

over a year ago

#justsaying

So I take it the dinner parties were her idea then? "

We figu_ed out at one point that my ancestors worked in the mine my ex's ancestors ran. She was upper middle class, fallen from upper class stately home, servants, their own racing horses, skiing holidays abroad in the 1930s. Very posh

Reply privately