Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Test drives but mot expired

Jump to newest

By *pal OP   Woman
over a year ago

The Bermuda Triangle in Suffolk

Seen a car I like but checked mot history and it shows that it ran out last month. Am I right in thinking that you are not able to take a test drive when the mot has expired? I know you can legally drive a car to a mot test centre if mot has expired but may have to prove if you were stopped by police that you actually have an appointmen for a mot. Is this correct?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yes but it can't be the other side of the country either.

over a year ago

Never a good idea to buy a car with an expired MOT you have to ask why the seller woun't get it through as the value would be a lot higher.

By *pal OP   Woman
over a year ago

"Never a good idea to buy a car with an expired MOT you have to ask why the seller woun't get it through as the value would be a lot higher. "

Trust me I never would buy a car without a new mot, it's a dealer and he was closing but stayed open so we could sit in it and have a look, discussed coming back tomorrow for a test drive which he said would be fine but no way am I taking a risk on driving any car that isn't legal. Will ring him tomorrow and see what he says.

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple
over a year ago

Dudley

"Never a good idea to buy a car with an expired MOT you have to ask why the seller woun't get it through as the value would be a lot higher.

Trust me I never would buy a car without a new mot, it's a dealer and he was closing but stayed open so we could sit in it and have a look, discussed coming back tomorrow for a test drive which he said would be fine but no way am I taking a risk on driving any car that isn't legal. Will ring him tomorrow and see what he says. "

Is it taxed?

If you got stopped with no Mot or tax, car would be confiscated and you could end up getting fined!

By *good-being-badMan
over a year ago

mis-types and auto corrects leads cock leeds

"Seen a car I like but checked mot history and it shows that it ran out last month. Am I right in thinking that you are not able to take a test drive when the mot has expired? I know you can legally drive a car to a mot test centre if mot has expired but may have to prove if you were stopped by police that you actually have an appointmen for a mot. Is this correct?"

If there is private land you could.

By *pal OP   Woman
over a year ago

"Never a good idea to buy a car with an expired MOT you have to ask why the seller woun't get it through as the value would be a lot higher.

Trust me I never would buy a car without a new mot, it's a dealer and he was closing but stayed open so we could sit in it and have a look, discussed coming back tomorrow for a test drive which he said would be fine but no way am I taking a risk on driving any car that isn't legal. Will ring him tomorrow and see what he says.

Is it taxed?

If you got stopped with no Mot or tax, car would be confiscated and you could end up getting fined! "

Just checked and car tax expired in August.

By *iss.ddWoman
over a year ago

Leeds + Newcastle

Trade plates cover test drives, I think

By *olfie2000Man
over a year ago

Download

If it's a car trader they may have 'trade plates' that you can use to cover you for mot and tax when roadtesting a vehicle

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple
over a year ago

Dudley

"If it's a car trader they may have 'trade plates' that you can use to cover you for mot and tax when roadtesting a vehicle"

They may do but would insurance cover test driving a car with no tax or mot!Sounds like a potential disaster to me, get trader to mot it first.

By *pal OP   Woman
over a year ago

From doing some research it seems trade plates can only cover you if the car is untaxed but not if there is no mot,but there also seems to be some confusion about that too so still none the wiser.

By *aro7Man
over a year ago

wickford

On trade plates is fine, any other scenario is not, but only purchase the vehicle with a full MOT,,,,,,which they should sort at their expense.

over a year ago

"From doing some research it seems trade plates can only cover you if the car is untaxed but not if there is no mot,but there also seems to be some confusion about that too so still none the wiser."

Trade plates will cover the vel, (tax) and I'm assuming they have a trade policy for insurance.

No MOT? Not deemed roadworthy.

You could be liable for using the vehicle and the owner for permitting. Ask them to mot it first...is imagine if they're reputable they will.

By *d59michelleTV/TS
over a year ago

walsall

I've never owned a car but sounds dodgy to me ? Even with an mot take someone knows their way round a car

By *onnie And Clyde9070Couple
over a year ago

Leeds

Is it taxed?

If you got stopped with no Mot or tax, car would be confiscated and you could end up getting fined! "

If you are driving a car with no MOT or tax to a pre booked appointment at a registered MOT station you can do so legally as long as the car is declared SORN and is covered by insurance. The MOT station has to be within a reasonable traveling distance though, and you must drive directly to the station (and directly back home again afterwards if it fails its test).

By *pal OP   Woman
over a year ago

I know many car dealers will only mot a vehicle if it will be purchased. I can understand why they do that but also it would have a better resale value if vehicle already has an mot. I always look at any advisories which tell you of any future problems/costs.

By *vbride1963TV/TS
over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

Trade plate only cover tax not mot you could be fined also the owner too .

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple
over a year ago

Dudley

Is it taxed?

If you got stopped with no Mot or tax, car would be confiscated and you could end up getting fined!

If you are driving a car with no MOT or tax to a pre booked appointment at a registered MOT station you can do so legally as long as the car is declared SORN and is covered by insurance. The MOT station has to be within a reasonable traveling distance though, and you must drive directly to the station (and directly back home again afterwards if it fails its test)."

Op was asking about test driving a car with no Mot!

By *pal OP   Woman
over a year ago

Is it taxed?

If you are driving a car with no MOT or tax to a pre booked appointment at a registered MOT station you can do so legally as long as the car is declared SORN and is covered by insurance. The MOT station has to be within a reasonable traveling distance though, and you must drive directly to the station (and directly back home again afterwards if it fails its test).

Op was asking about test driving a car with no Mot!"

Correct but was not aware unti you mentioned whether it was taxed or not that I then did a car tax check and found out it isn't.

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple
over a year ago

Dudley

Is it taxed?

Correct but was not aware unti you mentioned whether it was taxed or not that I then did a car tax check and found out it isn't."

Is it a genuine trader or someone who sells cars off their drive!? Check their insurance will cover you to test drive car, because yours won't without an Mot.

By *pal OP   Woman
over a year ago

Is it taxed?

Correct but was not aware unti you mentioned whether it was taxed or not that I then did a car tax check and found out it isn't.

Is it a genuine trader or someone who sells cars off their drive!? Check their insurance will cover you to test drive car, because yours won't without an Mot."

Genuine local trader

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

I wouldn't worry... it's not your car anyway...if you decide to get it .. make sure it's mot d before you take ownership

By *aro7Man
over a year ago

wickford

Get a motorbike!!!

Post new Message to Thread