Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Antidepressants ruin my sex life

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Ive been on Paroxetine for a couple months now and noticed my sexual desires had decreased and is extremely difficult to climax. I can still easily get an erection tho.

Sure i technically perform "better" because of this but its not as fun anymore. im thinking coming off the meds

Anyone else had this side effect and any tips on working around this?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I have had the same issue and it isn't funny. It needs patience and an understanding partner to get through it. Once you have been on the tablets a while your body gets used to them, or at least mine did, and normalacy resumed. Try not to think about it too much

over a year ago

Same with sertraline.

I came off them a long time ago because of this.

By *ony 2016Man
over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

one of the side effects of anti depression tablets can be to prolong the length of time it takes to climax ,,, and can therefore be given to assist those suffering with pre mature ejaculation ,,, on the doctors say so

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

I think it’s quite normal as a side effect.

Don’t just come off them without speaking to your doctor first. Tell him the side effects and that it’s worrying you but don’t just stop taking them

over a year ago

I'm a woman and we don't have to get an erection so it didn't change me in that way.

I was too ill to be thinking about sex when I first started taking Paroxetine, but I didn't stop having sex on them when I started to feel better.

I think they had the opposite effect on me.

over a year ago

"I think it’s quite normal as a side effect.

Don’t just come off them without speaking to your doctor first. Tell him the side effects and that it’s worrying you but don’t just stop taking them"

Hmm yeah alright. Sounds like the safest thing i can do atm

over a year ago

Yeah, definitely don’t just stop. I did once and my head just went weird.

over a year ago

Don't stop taking them. Go back to your doctor and tell him your concerns. There are so many different types they can try you on. Hope you find one that suits you better as your mental well being is the most important

over a year ago

"Ive been on Paroxetine for a couple months now and noticed my sexual desires had decreased and is extremely difficult to climax. I can still easily get an erection tho.

Sure i technically perform "better" because of this but its not as fun anymore. im thinking coming off the meds

"

Yeah I know someone that happened to. Citalopram though. It’s a common side effect unfortunately.

over a year ago

"Ive been on Paroxetine for a couple months now and noticed my sexual desires had decreased and is extremely difficult to climax. I can still easily get an erection tho.

Yeah I know someone that happened to. Citalopram though. It’s a common side effect unfortunately. "

It truely blows! I last forever with little enjoyment. Great for the ladies i guess

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Yep another one here.

It gets like,

Ok it's taken me 45 mins to get an erection,then as hard as fuck then still hammering away three hours later and nothing not even a hint of an orgasm.

It's frustrating as fuck tedious and takes all the fun out of sex.

I eventually stopped and decided to hit the gym and Start with positive thinking

After talking to gp first.

I actually found I felt worse taking them than not.

over a year ago

The irony here is that the

antidepressants have made you more depressed,sods law mate

over a year ago

Why is it in every thread where people are seeking medical advice, a lot of people end up saying "go and talk to your GP" like he's not fucking thought of that already!!

over a year ago

"

It truely blows! I last forever with little enjoyment. Great for the ladies i guess"

You say that, but I had a few who were quite upset I’d not cum for them. I think a few would have preferred I cum too soon than not at all

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Yeah I know someone that happened endless to. Citalopram though. It’s a common side effect unfortunately.

It truely blows! I last forever with little enjoyment. Great for the ladies i guess"

Not if its just endless with no relief - it can turn into a permanent effect too.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

It's a very common side effect of a lot of antidepressants. Important that you find one that works for you, with minimal side effects or ones you can tolerate.

over a year ago

Been there had this.

Talk to your doctor to ask about CBT counselling instead of the meds, or to lower the dosage as you go through counselling.

Don't just drop the meds though, if you are depressed it's not worth it.

By *tella HeelsTV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

"

Yeh fluoxetine does same thing + erectile disfinction

over a year ago

Yeah I know someone that happened endless to. Citalopram though. It’s a common side effect unfortunately.

It truely blows! I last forever with little enjoyment. Great for the ladies i guess

Not if its just endless with no relief - it can turn into a permanent effect too."

True true, that part is very important. Ooh permanent, that gets me worried

By *he SurveyorMan
over a year ago

Bury

Antidepressants are meant to be short term. Identify what’s troubling you, address it then discuss coming off your meds.

Taking them and not addressing the issues is wrong.

By *aro7Man
over a year ago

wickford

I have been prescribed citaloprams, which I have been on for over a year, well I say that, I have managed to ween myself off of them now. I found the same things as the OP, but they did make me feel better, once I noticed that I was feeling better in myself I slowly started to decrease my taking of them from daily to every other day, then to every two days and so forth, I am now off them completely now feel ok, so it can be done, I needed the help initially as I was very low for various reasons, but have battled through and got back to very near where I was, it can be done, all the best OP.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Antidepressants are meant to be short term. Identify what’s troubling you, address it then discuss coming off your meds.

Taking them and not addressing the issues is wrong.

"

This is partially true and partially dangerous advice. For many people medication alone is insufficient, and counselling and/or lifestyle changes will reduce need for medication.

For some people, antidepressants are necessary in the long term, with or without other intervention or changes.

There's no shame in taking the drugs that you've been prescribed, and doing the best you can with what you've got. Blanket advice is bad because you don't necessarily know what your need is.

By *hite_peonyWoman
over a year ago

South East

Yup sertraline does this

Your body does get used to it after a while (unless they fiddle about with your dose) and it does slowly come back.

over a year ago

Same from women. I’m on venlafaxine and I either have zero sex drive or if I do I can’t cum even though I’m getting close to and nothing.

But my mental health right now is more important than my sex life.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Same from women. I’m on venlafaxine and I either have zero sex drive or if I do I can’t cum even though I’m getting close to and nothing.

But my mental health right now is more important than my sex life. "

Different strokes. Venlafaxine is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I'm sorry it isn't helping you.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

A few guys discussed this before. My opinion is that if you can benefit from this type of medicine, it's worth modifying which particular drug you use, as you may not get the side effects at all, or to a different extent. Or there are alternative medication types that could be useful.

Speak with your GP about your experience and ideals.

over a year ago

Ruined my sex life I used to get really bad cramp in my hands

over a year ago

I've had the same on Citalopram and setraline. As well as constant nausea and buckling at the knees when walking. I've gone cold turkey on both just fine though I know it's not a good idea.

over a year ago

"I've had the same on Citalopram and setraline. As well as constant nausea and buckling at the knees when walking. I've gone cold turkey on both just fine though I know it's not a good idea."

I've been on both of them. Made me worse. Better off not taking anything. Fab is my anti depressant now

By *veragecouple321Couple
over a year ago

Leamington Spa

Hi All,

I used to take Mirtazapine, and that has had several side effects, some are still happening, as well as difficult to get an erection, when I did get one I found I couldn’t cum, when I spoke to my gp about not being able to cum, his advice was “enjoy it”. I slowly weaned myself off them and luckily the side effects have lessened not completely gone but bearable now.

By *angtidy42Couple
over a year ago

Redditch

It has been hard for us too. We found once we are playing no problems, it was the getting in the mood that was the problem.

Post new Message to Thread