Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Scourge Of The High Streets!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Not beggars, calm down all you guardian reading corbynistas!

No, agents of energy companies and the like, at least the beggars don't following you so as to be to keep harassing you!

I actually asked a shop manager of the store I entered after running the gauntlet of them and she said business was definitely down!

So, should they be banned from the high street, like I believe, or not be allowed to approach you?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Not beggars, calm down all you guardian reading corbynistas!

No, agents of energy companies and the like, at least the beggars don't following you so as to be to keep harassing you!

I actually asked a shop manager of the store I entered after running the gauntlet of them and she said business was definitely down!

So, should they be banned from the high street, like I believe, or not be allowed to approach you?"

Before I reply to this could you just tell me who you have your electic, with please Sir?

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I don’t talk to strangers

over a year ago

Hi Steve.

over a year ago

I ask them their home address post code and home number it usually makes them walk off giving me a funny look.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Hi Steve."
are you selling electricity?

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

I consider it to be an invasion of my personal space and an assault against my ears. My face tells them approach at your peril

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

The regulars just ignore me now. I work in the town centre and go for a walk at lunchtime most days.

I am fortunate in standing our from the norm... the others generally accept a polite no thanks.

It can get tiresome though...and do think they should be banned from actively trying to sell. If you are interested you can go talk to them.

Nita

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

Are you sure you are happy with your energy provider?

over a year ago

"Not beggars, calm down all you guardian reading corbynistas!

So, should they be banned from the high street, like I believe, or not be allowed to approach you?

Before I reply to this could you just tell me who you have your electic, with please Sir?"

over a year ago

"I consider it to be an invasion of my personal space and an assault against my ears. My face tells them approach at your peril "

You'll have to show me how.

By *orwegian BlueMan
over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

I usually find telling them the Queen supplies my electric, I'm on day release from Pentonville makes them leave me alone rather rapidly..

over a year ago

"The regulars just ignore me now. I work in the town centre and go for a walk at lunchtime most days.

I am fortunate in standing our from the norm... the others generally accept a polite no thanks.

It can get tiresome though...and do think they should be banned from actively trying to sell. If you are interested you can go talk to them.

Nita "

You'll know exactly what I mean then, being a nightmare this week hasn't it?

over a year ago

While I sort of work in this field..I'd have to say I dont like being approached by anyone really.....however...

You have to remember that some people pay over the odds from big energy suppliers(glorified line rentals essentially)

Not everyone accesses the internet(particularly the elderly)

a lot of the big energy companies have had 3 price hikes within a year for their standard tariff customers...as well as for some pasyougo customers(usually low income households)

There has been an increase in deaths of the elderly who cannot heat their homes due to costs, there is of course fuel poverty for families.

I'll be blunt regardless of being against poverty and the homeless...I can walk a fifteen minute radius from the city center and pass by many beggars..mostly holding cans of cider , or having a wee social with the others...even a 'shift-swap'.I do not give any of them money now..I can buy something from the shop(like a reduced price food item)

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"The regulars just ignore me now. I work in the town centre and go for a walk at lunchtime most days.

Nita

You'll know exactly what I mean then, being a nightmare this week hasn't it? "

Aye, it has.

It's reached the point where many people are walking as far away from them as possible...

over a year ago

"While I sort of work in this field..I'd have to say I dont like being approached by anyone really.....however...

You have to remember that some people pay over the odds from big energy suppliers(glorified line rentals essentially)

a lot of the big energy companies have had 3 price hikes within a year for their standard tariff customers...as well as for some pasyougo customers(usually low income households)

There has been an increase in deaths of the elderly who cannot heat their homes due to costs, there is of course fuel poverty for families.

I'll be blunt regardless of being against poverty and the homeless...I can walk a fifteen minute radius from the city center and pass by many beggars..mostly holding cans of cider , or having a wee social with the others...even a 'shift-swap'.I do not give any of them money now..I can buy something from the shop(like a reduced price food item)"

I meant homelessness*

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

[Removed by poster at 18/10/18 20:54:54]

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"While I sort of work in this field..I'd have to say I dont like being approached by anyone really.....however...

I'll be blunt regardless of being against poverty and the homeless...I can walk a fifteen minute radius from the city center and pass by many beggars..mostly holding cans of cider , or having a wee social with the others...even a 'shift-swap'.I do not give any of them money now..I can buy something from the shop(like a reduced price food item)"

The post wasn't related to beggars. Though most of the local ones have homes and are getting "beer" money.

As for the other stuff... I would be concerned that in these situations the elderly and less able are not being offered the best deals...the same as those who knock on your door.

Nita

over a year ago

Nita

Aye, it has.

It's reached the point where many people are walking as far away from them as possible..."

That what the manageress of Poundland said, er, Sainsbury's!

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Nita

Aye, it has.

It's reached the point where many people are walking as far away from them as possible...

That what the manageress of Poundland said, er, Sainsbury's! "

over a year ago

Wear headphones and tunnel vision

Or look at board say yes I'm already with 'eon' or whatever it says

over a year ago

I'll be blunt regardless of being against poverty and the homeless...I can walk a fifteen minute radius from the city center and pass by many beggars..mostly holding cans of cider , or having a wee social with the others...even a 'shift-swap'.I do not give any of them money now..I can buy something from the shop(like a reduced price food item)

The post wasn't related to beggars. Though most of the local ones have homes and are getting "beer" money.

As for the other stuff... I would be concerned that in these situations the elderly and less able are not being offered the best deals...the same as those who knock on your door.

Nita"

without some door knocking...the ECO(energy companies obligation), would find it very hard to reach the targets set out on them...while I'd question some companies methods..these things have been put in place to help the pocket and carbon emission reduction.

over a year ago

They're still people. I just smile and say no thank you. It must be shit to be ignored all the time.

over a year ago

in fact..it's charity fundraisers I'm not that keen on...

over a year ago

I tend to handle it with a:

Oh wow, we're so glad you stopped us.

*looks left to imaginary friend*

Yes, they have caught us with an hour to spare

*looks through seller*

Yes, you are selling energy?

'yes sir, I'm certain we can save you money...

*look around seller*

Ooh we love your aura, are you a Capricorn?

*looks left, whispers secretively*

no,we can't take him home to mummy....

Never got past that for some reason..

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Nita

without some door knocking...the ECO(energy companies obligation), would find it very hard to reach the targets set out on them...while I'd question some companies methods..these things have been put in place to help the pocket and carbon emission reduction."

I think the methods need re-thinking. They are a bloody nuisance.

Nita

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

"I consider it to be an invasion of my personal space and an assault against my ears. My face tells them approach at your peril

You'll have to show me how. "

It’s a skill

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"They're still people. I just smile and say no thank you. It must be shit to be ignored all the time. "

Sadly, that method doesn't always work

Some local lads are trying a new approach on the ladies... compliments...which is rather nice. No idea how effective it is.

Nita

over a year ago

"in fact..it's charity fundraisers I'm not that keen on..."

They are as bad, the worst I've found is the "deaf children" one!

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

They’re a pain in the arse and definitely should be banned from the high street . As if it’s not hard enough to make ends meet for a shopkeeper with ever increasing rates , rent and a high st full of beggars too . The internet offers many of the same goods at lower prices with free delivery too and none of the hassle associated with the high st . Won’t be long before it’s gone folks ....

over a year ago

"They’re a pain in the arse and definitely should be banned from the high street . As if it’s not hard enough to make ends meet for a shopkeeper with ever increasing rates , rent and a high st full of beggars too . The internet offers many of the same goods at lower prices with free delivery too and none of the hassle associated with the high st . Won’t be long before it’s gone folks ...."

Unfortunately it will, we should get rid of them all before it's too late.

over a year ago

Don’t make eye contact

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

"in fact..it's charity fundraisers I'm not that keen on...

They are as bad, the worst I've found is the "deaf children" one!"

My friend is a BSL interpreter, she always signs to them when they approach her. One poor soul literally ran in the opposite direction.

over a year ago

"They're still people. I just smile and say no thank you. It must be shit to be ignored all the time.

Some local lads are trying a new approach on the ladies... compliments...which is rather nice. No idea how effective it is.

Nita "

I've never had a compliment on the high street. I must just look like I don't have electric.

over a year ago

"They're still people. I just smile and say no thank you. It must be shit to be ignored all the time.

Nita

I've never had a compliment on the high street. I must just look like I don't have electric. "

I think it's your gas thats the problem..

bit whiffy

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"in fact..it's charity fundraisers I'm not that keen on...

They are as bad, the worst I've found is the "deaf children" one!

My friend is a BSL interpreter, she always signs to them when they approach her. One poor soul literally ran in the opposite direction."

Wha tdid she say? Show us with a youtube link.

over a year ago

Where i live there is no high street, no one bothers me or harangues me to 'take a survey'..

I hate going into bigger towns for that very reason..i just say 'sorry I am here to shop not waste my time on you'

over a year ago

I'm not interested in their wares at all, but I feel bad for them (generally) - it's a shitty job and everyone needs to eat.

The scourge of the high street for me are thr cunts that hang around spitting and swearing with nothing else better to do.

over a year ago

Nita "

I saw one preying on new parents with prams complimenting the pram then the baby, who doesnt want to be proud of their baby so they all stopped.

over a year ago

"I'm not interested in their wares at all, but I feel bad for them (generally) - it's a shitty job and everyone needs to eat.

The scourge of the high street for me are thr cunts that hang around spitting and swearing with nothing else better to do."

I have slabberitis and tourette's..how dare you!

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

No high street

No shops

No problem

By *educedWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

I tell them I'm homeless...

I'll never go to heaven.

over a year ago

"I tell them I'm homeless...

I'll never go to heaven. "

I'd give you a good home..and shackled in my cellar

over a year ago

I'll never go to heaven. "

I bet when you go out the last thing you look is homeless!

By *educedWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

I'll never go to heaven.

I'd give you a good home..and shackled in my cellar"

You're not gonna ask me to put the lotion in the basket are you?

By *educedWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

I'll never go to heaven.

I bet when you go out the last thing you look is homeless! "

Oh. You know what? I look like shite 5 days out of 7. Don't believe the hype.

Thank you.

over a year ago

I'll never go to heaven.

You're not gonna ask me to put the lotion in the basket are you? "

so you can slip outta the handcuffs? I think NOT!

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

When approached by these Utility sellers, I say the same as I do for utility phone calls ... "get my electric costs down to less than £100 jointly per annum", (which is what I currently pay) then they don't want to know. No more hassles!

over a year ago

Carry a clipboard, they and all the other annoying people that usually stand in your way will assume you are going to ask questions and will jump and run from your pathway making your visit easy and plesant

By *educedWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

I'll never go to heaven.

so you can slip outta the handcuffs? I think NOT!"

Not been in handcuffs since the poll tax riots. I'll give it a go.

Call me Houdini

over a year ago

I'll never go to heaven.

Call me Houdini "

lets move you from the cellar...I hate this bedroom tax

By *educedWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

I'll never go to heaven.

Call me Houdini

lets move you from the cellar...I hate this bedroom tax

"

Do we need to move this thread to the Politics Forum?

over a year ago

I live in rural Wales, what's this electricity of which you speak

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 18/10/18 23:33:57]

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Even though I'm currently single, I just tell them that the Missus sorts all that shit out, I just sling her some money every week. They seem to swallow that

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

If its electricity, I tell them Im wired up to the lamp-post outside. Gas, I tell them we create our own. Sky, we dont have a tv and RAC, I dont own a car.

A Greenpeace chugger was really getting on peoples tits in Glastonbury High St whilst I was on hols a few years ago. I wasted half an hour of his time and fed him a made up name and address and bank details. He really thought he was signing me up for £10a week.

I even keep the nuisance calls on the line as long as possible. Its my public duty.

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

"Don’t make eye contact "

Ooh no. Go out of your way to make eye contact. But make sure you look psychotic when you do it! Its like getting a seat to yourself on the train. When you see people piling into the carriage, pat the empty seat next to you and smile sweetly. It works a treat.

over a year ago

"I'm not interested in their wares at all, but I feel bad for them (generally) - it's a shitty job and everyone needs to eat.

The scourge of the high street for me are thr cunts that hang around spitting and swearing with nothing else better to do."

over a year ago

Update: walking into Lidl this afternoon an apparent homeless person called out to me,"excuse me can you help me", I just walked on without even acknowledging him. His response, "well f**k yer, you c**t".

Wonder why people think these people shouldn't be allowed to beg on the streets?

over a year ago

"Don’t make eye contact

Ooh no. Go out of your way to make eye contact. But make sure you look psychotic when you do it! Its like getting a seat to yourself on the train. When you see people piling into the carriage, pat the empty seat next to you and smile sweetly. It works a treat."

It's better if you're talking to the empty seat, and when you make eye contact, don't blink...

Post new Message to Thread