Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What's In A Word?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Chatting with a lady has inspired this thread!

During messaging I happened to mention that I like to see myself as an hedonist. I quickly explained in that I meant one in the truest definition of the word, someone who can get a simple joy from everyday normal things, the smile of a baby, freshly baked bread etc not the corrupted definition, a sex orgying drug taker!

Anybody got any other words currently erroneously used or have lost the depth of their meaning?

Serendipity and tsunami are two more from me, over to you Fabsters.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'm full of spunk

over a year ago

"I'm full of spunk "

I wasn't overly optimistic for interaction on this one, thank you nether the less but I'd say that just an exaggerated statement.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

It's not necessarily that other people use words erroneously - though some do - but that we all have our own take on how they could be used when we as artists create wonderful pictures, letting the listener or viewer gain a glimpse into our mind eye. Often we are a little narrow, being unwilling to set words free from the prison cells that some have them on lock-down in.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"It's not necessarily that other people use words erroneously - though some do - but that we all have our own take on how they could be used when we as artists create wonderful pictures, letting the listener or viewer gain a glimpse into our mind eye. Often we are a little narrow, being unwilling to set words free from the prison cells that some have them on lock-down in. "

Mike's eye

over a year ago

"Chatting with a lady has inspired this thread!

During messaging I happened to mention that I like to see myself as an hedonist. I quickly explained in that I meant one in the truest definition of the word, someone who can get a simple joy from everyday normal things, the smile of a baby, freshly baked bread etc not the corrupted definition, a sex orgying drug taker!

Anybody got any other words currently erroneously used or have lost the depth of their meaning?

"

The true definition still includes the element that it is not only living and behaving in ways so as to get the most pleasure out of life as possible (from whatever source that comes from, it doesn’t solely mean from everyday normal things) but also according to the belief that the most important thing in life is to enjoy yourself.

By *ighland gentlemanMan
over a year ago

Ardgay

I apparently use far too many big words already!

over a year ago

"Chatting with a lady has inspired this thread!

The true definition still includes the element that it is not only living and behaving in ways so as to get the most pleasure out of life as possible (from whatever source that comes from, it doesn’t solely mean from everyday normal things) but also according to the belief that the most important thing in life is to enjoy yourself. "

Not really sure what you mean but I was just trying to say some words have lost their true specific meaning:

Serendipity, for example, doesn't simply mean "lucky", is has a specific meaning.

Maybe even modest, who uses that to mean someone is "modest"?

over a year ago

Words lose their power more quickly than ever these days. They deserve better.

over a year ago

"Words lose their power more quickly than ever these days. They deserve better."

Most certainly do, well said.

Post new Message to Thread