Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

HMV going under?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Well it's hardly surprising giving how much they charge for DVDs and music, CARS 2 was 16.99 and that was just the single DVD, needless to say I went to a supermarket and got it for 9.99 instead

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Well it's hardly surprising giving how much they charge for DVDs and music, CARS 2 was 16.99 and that was just the single DVD, needless to say I went to a supermarket and got it for 9.99 instead "

and Millets/Blacks by the look of it in the New Year..

Barratts also looking iffy...

not good news for the staff...

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Personally I think it's a crying shame, you do have to wonder what the supermarkets will start to charge when they have buried all the opposition?

When there is no HMV, like there was no Virgin Music, and WH Smith anouncing they are getting out of the music business.....the supermarkets will have no need to discount so heavily....prices will rise....bargains like we see today will start to appear not so attractive.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I've heard this said before about Tesco, sounds like you're on to something there

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

there will always be another supermarket ie asda will always try and beat tesco so this should keep prices down.

over a year ago

Amazing how many people slag off the like of Tescos and then walk in and shop.

I hate shopping in the High Street and couldn't care less if these shops close.

over a year ago

"Personally I think it's a crying shame, you do have to wonder what the supermarkets will start to charge when they have buried all the opposition?

When there is no HMV, like there was no Virgin Music, and WH Smith anouncing they are getting out of the music business.....the supermarkets will have no need to discount so heavily....prices will rise....bargains like we see today will start to appear not so attractive.

"

Don't worry, I'm sure that Amazon and play.com will keep them honest.

over a year ago

You go up and down every High Street and you see shops, to let, up to a third. Some for years.

We have a huge housing shortage, why don't the government see the opportunity and convert them to residential use.

By *andcCouple
over a year ago

London and Cheshire

It's not just the supermarkets it's music downloads thats hurting them, you can just buy the tracks you like, so if you like a couple of tracks from an album, just buy them, about £1, better than the whole album and loads of track you don't like.

Personally I don't buy music! I prefer to rent! using things like spotify, you a choice of over 12 million tracks to listen to and get 3333 to use on a mobile phone for just a few quid, I can change the 3333 downloaded to my mobile as many times as I like, also have the option to buy the tracks if I like for way less than itunes.

Best thing is you can listen to albums without illegal downloading.

If you only want them on your pc and not your mobile and you don't mind a few ads you can listen for free.

Buying music through shops is a dying past-time, even the supermarkets only stock a limited amout and nothing to leftfield.

over a year ago

"Amazing how many people slag off the like of Tescos and then walk in and shop.

I hate shopping in the High Street and couldn't care less if these shops close."

lol nicely put

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

This is the first year I've managed to do all of my Christmas shopping without entering a shop. My postman is probably hating all the parcels that he's had to deliver.

By *lwayshorny70Man
over a year ago

Redditch

supermarkets undercut hmv and then adding a penny or two to lines they sell thousands of , making up for their loss on dvds games etc .

yes i work for hmv where we have the knowledge

you tried going into a supermarket and buying a cd and finding someone to help . we often have customers come in not sure what its called or by who but 95% of time we have experience to work it out for them same with films , its quality customer service that supermarkets cant give .

yes if hmv etc close then supermarkets will rise prices , who wants a world of just supermarkets . As for amazon , play etc on april 1st 2012 they have to charge 20% vat as the government have closed the loophole about buying goods from outside the uk

rant over

By *lwayshorny70Man
over a year ago

Redditch

[Removed by poster at 19/12/11 20:49:37]

By *lwayshorny70Man
over a year ago

Redditch

support your local shops

over a year ago

"supermarkets undercut hmv and then adding a penny or two to lines they sell thousands of , making up for their loss on dvds games etc .

you tried going into a supermarket and buying a cd and finding someone to help . we often have customers come in not sure what its called or by who but 95% of time we have experience to work it out for them same with films , its quality customer service that supermarkets cant give .

yes if hmv etc close then supermarkets will rise prices , who wants a world of just supermarkets . As for amazon , play etc on april 1st 2012 they have to charge 20% vat as the government have closed the loophole about buying goods from outside the uk

rant over

"

Spot on knowledge. But the only good thing about HMV is they kept stocking limited edition vinyl and vinyl releases.

Being a bit of a vinyl junkie I used to go to HMV for this reason only. Over the last 2 years each store has phased the tiny amount of what it did out.

This has bucked a public trend as vinyl sales were on the increase when HMV were binning them

Feel sorry for the staff and their families but HMV in the end offers no more than any other DVD/CD shop apart from being more expensive.

over a year ago

Everything that has links to the film and music industry sales will end up online at some point as the companies wont have to have stores/buildings with overheads like rent, utility bills etc.

The music, games and films will just get downloaded for a fee.

Its already happening on the web and others will follow suit.

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

I would support local shops if the price difference weren't so significant.

Case in point - I bought a video game for _arambar jr for xmas. It was £35 in all the shops - including supermarkets. I went online and got it for £25... from the online equivalent of one of the bricks and mortar stores I visited.

If the difference had been a couple of quid then I would have gladly bought it in one of my local shops instead of getting it online. But a tenner more for an item that only cost £25 is ridiculous.

As for HMV being in trouble... I'm afraid I honestly can't remember the last time I bought something from there. In fact, I was kinda surprised to see them on the news today as I thought they'd already gone bust.

Like the person a few posts above this one, I don't buy my music on shiny bits of plastic any more, and haven't done so for quite a while. I use Spotify, and any music I buy is from beatport dot com. Music that is neither streamed via the internet nor bought as MP3s is for dinosaurs... and we all know what happened to them.

HMV's primary other revenue source, I believe, is from selling films. Again, who buys films these days? Without even mentioning the fact we're supposed to ditch our DVDs and re-buy stuff on BluRay (after having ditched our VHS films to re-buy them all on DVD), it's clear that the way people watch films has changed over the years. Now it's all about video on demand - companies such as Love Film and Netflix (in the US) have known this for a while, and have been waiting for the technology to enable this.

There's a reason why companies such as BT and Virgin Media are investing so heavily in fibre-to-the-cabinet or 100MBit cable connections - and it's not so websites will load in a nanosecond, it's because us consumers are demanding stuff like films, tv shows, music and games when it's convenient for us not some broadcaster. The amount of web traffic the BBC generates via iPlayer is phenomenal and will only increase as consumers get faster broadband connections and therefore more people will want to watch the snooker or Strictly in hi-def... just because they can now do so.

It's not just music and films that are going down this route either. There's a company called OnLive which is going to dish out the same treatment to videogame retailers such as Game, Gamestation, etc... as iTunes and Spotify, and BBC and Love Film, are doing to HMV. It's available now but is still fairly expensive although as the number of subscribers increase the cost to use their service will decrease thereby increasing the subscriber base further leading to further price cuts.

Eventually, you'll get the OnLive box for free in a packet of breakfast cereal and just pay a few pounds to use the service each month. Eventually many people who currently own a Nintendo or Sony console will no longer buy the hardware nor, importantly, the games... they'll just stream it. There'll be no more hardware upgrades for the end user, but also no more worries about piracy for the software companies... it's a win-win situation - unless you're a Gamestation employee.

So unless HMV can innovate and find some other revnue source - like Jessop's had to when everyone went digital for photography - then I won't be surprised if they disappear from the High Street within the next 5 - 10 years.

*******************************************************************************************

Short version: HMV need to look for other revenue streams cause people buy MP3s and use Spotify instead of buying CDs, and buying DVDs is about to become extinct too, as we'll all be streaming films via Love Film soon.

over a year ago

"supermarkets undercut hmv and then adding a penny or two to lines they sell thousands of , making up for their loss on dvds games etc .

rant over

"

people dont want customer services tho, they want the best price now days

harsh but true

and lets be honest if you want a film or a cd and know enough about it to give someone in HMV the info to find it you can google it

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

"people dont want customer services tho, they want the best price now days

harsh but true

and lets be honest if you want a film or a cd and know enough about it to give someone in HMV the info to find it you can google it"

Yep, very true.

over a year ago

then buy it off ebay for even cheaper lol

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

"then buy it off ebay for even cheaper lol "

...or download it for free.

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

"You go up and down every High Street and you see shops, to let, up to a third. Some for years.

We have a huge housing shortage, why don't the government see the opportunity and convert them to residential use."

Two reasons.

One is that the larger empty shops are hideously expensive to convert,a dn might not get planning permission because of lack of amenities like parking. I know that sounds mad, but if you take a look at our local Woolworths when it closed - you could fit 12 two bedroomed units in the space, but the nearest parking would be 400 metres away, and the delivery bay would be overflowing with bins. Add in the sewerage and drainage work and shop conversions are often only profitable in areas with very high property prices, or where commercial rents are very depressed.

Two is that the big property companies can use empty properties to claim tax relief, so that they never pay any real corporation tax. Take away that relief and you'll see high street rents going down, enabling new businesses to move in.

over a year ago

So much cheaper in Supermarkets and online now plus I don't like the fact that you can't get your money back in there

over a year ago

"This is the first year I've managed to do all of my Christmas shopping without entering a shop. My postman is probably hating all the parcels that he's had to deliver."

Are you going to give him a nice big tip then

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

rant over

"

I'd love to know which HMV you work in, since my local HMV seems to be staffed by people who don't know anything beyond the limited range on the bargain racks.

Like Waterstones HMV has fallen between two stools; too big and production line to consistently give the quality service you describe, but not big enough to compete with Amazon.

Also, and here's the rub, as record buyers age the HMV in store experience gets increasingly more vile - it's as if I'm being taunted with the ghost of my long lost youth every time I go in - I expect the staff to call me Daddyo and offer me Val Doonican records....

I actually used to prefer the ambience in my local Virgin megastore before it went under.... That's not about a channel shift in purchasing habits - it was just nicer....

over a year ago

"

I'd love to know which HMV you work in, since my local HMV seems to be staffed by people who don't know anything beyond the limited range on the bargain racks.

"

I went in to our local HMV last week

Me: Do you have anything by The Doors?

Assistant: Yes,2 fire extinguishers and a mop bucket

Bum Tish!

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

HMV - There's The Rub - Wishbone Ash

over a year ago

I still pine for the old days of local records shops where you could get your hands on something tangible.12 inches of cardboard and vinyl. I've so far resisted buying any digital downloads off the net but i suppose the day will come when i have no choice.

over a year ago

they cant compete on the highstreet but hope the website sticks around. prices are alot better

over a year ago

local shops are dear £1.29 4 pint milk asda do one for 87p for a 4 pint and its 2 mins further to walk.

hmv is too expensive compared to a lot of places maybe they should just lower prices and then they wouldnt close leaving more unemployed. but then woolworths did it and have online store only.

ive never bought my kids a cd keeping them warm fed and clothed more important. cds are luxuries a lot of families cant afford.

over a year ago

this may be a bit naive of me, but i suppose the more high street retailers that close, the more the supermarkets will open new stores, hence more jobs being made available, from the construction/renovation of stores to staff for the new stores, to more delivery drivers/warehouse staff etc.

i for one am sad to see the decline of independant shops, there was many local shops by where i grew up, all with the personal service which makes going to the shop more enjoyable, you never get the "hi ste, how are you? hows your mum/aunt/nan etc doing?" in any of the major chain stores, and its something i genuinely miss.

going a little bit deeper, maybe this lack of 'community' has something to do with the lack of community spirit these days, and maybe why people dont seem to know as many people as they did years ago!

anybody seen the film wall-e? buy-n-large taking over the world?? i see tesco doing that!

over a year ago

The thing is that you can have your cake and eat it. Folk can’t complain about the decline of the High Street store then grumble about the fact that (say a Videogame) costs £10 more to buy in the High Street than it does to buy it online or from a Supermarket. At a time when (overall) household incomes are on the decline those kinds of savings are hard to ignore. Yes, it’s putting small retailers out of business and killing some of the smaller high street chains but sadly that’s progress for you.

Quite a number of the high street chains should have gone out of business years ago – their business models were nothing more than a sink hole for non-existent profits and increasing bank loans. Woolworths (the shining beacon of many High Street Evangelists) were in debt for some £300m and were only still in business because borrowing was cheap and the banks were happy to keep giving them cheap cash loans. Woolworths were the Sub-Prime king of retail outlets and were the first to go to the wall when the revolution came.

The whole of consumerism is changing – its just evolution. We don’t hunt our food with bows and arrows any more (we prefer it in small plastic cartons with a sell by date) and in another 5 years we won’t walk down our high street to buy many of the products we did 5 years previously. The high street will be relegated to cafes, coffee shops, some clothing stores and beauty salons.

It’s a sad fact. But it would require a mass movement, a paradigm shift, in consumer thinking to reverse it – not just you or I, but all of us. The problem is that when you can get something for half the price online, or two-for-one at the Hypermart, some people don’t give a crap about friendly local service - they just want to take the tenner they save and go buy a bucket of deep fried chicken – because who cooks at home any more?

But that’s a whole different rant….

over a year ago

"Well it's hardly surprising giving how much they charge for DVDs and music, CARS 2 was 16.99 and that was just the single DVD, needless to say I went to a supermarket and got it for 9.99 instead "

See supermarkets yet again undercutting people and taking their business off them so they then have to raise their prices to survive thus creating a vicious circle that then destroys the weaker one the community and jobs xx

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

"The thing is that you can have your cake and eat it. Folk can’t complain about the decline of the High Street store then grumble about the fact that (say a Videogame) costs £10 more to buy in the High Street than it does to buy it online or from a Supermarket. At a time when (overall) household incomes are on the decline those kinds of savings are hard to ignore. Yes, it’s putting small retailers out of business and killing some of the smaller high street chains but sadly that’s progress for you.

Quite a number of the high street chains should have gone out of business years ago – their business models were nothing more than a sink hole for non-existent profits and increasing bank loans. Woolworths (the shining beacon of many High Street Evangelists) were in debt for some £300m and were only still in business because borrowing was cheap and the banks were happy to keep giving them cheap cash loans. Woolworths were the Sub-Prime king of retail outlets and were the first to go to the wall when the revolution came.

The whole of consumerism is changing – its just evolution. We don’t hunt our food with bows and arrows any more (we prefer it in small plastic cartons with a sell by date) and in another 5 years we won’t walk down our high street to buy many of the products we did 5 years previously. The high street will be relegated to cafes, coffee shops, some stores and beauty salons.

It’s a sad fact. But it would require a mass movement, a paradigm shift, in consumer thinking to reverse it – not just you or I, but all of us. The problem is that when you can get something for half the price online, or two-for-one at the Hypermart, some people don’t give a crap about friendly local service - they just want to take the tenner they save and go buy a bucket of deep fried chicken – because who cooks at home any more?

But that’s a whole different rant….

"

Some of us do our best...i was thinking about our milkman reading this thread...many friends who visit are amazed we still have one. He is of course more expensive, so it might make short term economic sense to just buy our milk from the supermarket...flasback to last winter.

We were cut off for 2 weeks,only 4 wheeled vehicles could get near us, there were no deliveries off any supermarket,but the milk was there every morning. We were also able to get eggs and bread delivered.

We had paid for a service, he ensured it happened.

People do have choices, convience is one,price another,quality of service, yet another.We simply need to be aware as consumers of what we are paying for.

over a year ago

Interestingly, sales in the high street HMV's (at least the ones in Manchester) are about 6% up on last year (unofficial 'insider' figures) and they actually opened a closed store for the 3 months to Christmas.

Sadly the increases have come too late to save 1 of the Manchester stores which closes in Jan 12. (why they ever needed 2 stores within 500 yards of each other has always been a bit beyond me).

over a year ago

"You go up and down every High Street and you see shops, to let, up to a third. Some for years.

We have a huge housing shortage, why don't the government see the opportunity and convert them to residential use.

Two reasons.

One is that the larger empty shops are hideously expensive to convert,a dn might not get planning permission because of lack of amenities like parking. I know that sounds mad, but if you take a look at our local Woolworths when it closed - you could fit 12 two bedroomed units in the space, but the nearest parking would be 400 metres away, and the delivery bay would be overflowing with bins. Add in the sewerage and drainage work and shop conversions are often only profitable in areas with very high property prices, or where commercial rents are very depressed.

Two is that the big property companies can use empty properties to claim tax relief, so that they never pay any real corporation tax. Take away that relief and you'll see high street rents going down, enabling new businesses to move in."

True, but you can make it possible by one, making it more expensive to leave empty. I'm fed up of our country being fucked up by some cunts of property developers paper profits/losses. If they can't get a tenant their property isn't worth that much.

Properties can always be knocked down and started again. If they're not listed no problem.

On all properties (including residential)I would make rates payable, whether occupied or not, this would help council and in return the landlord has the option change to residential use if empty after a certain period of time. Also property developers can only claim tax relief for a limited period of time on an empty property (say three months). If rents fall enough for businesses to move in, fine.

By * times sexyCouple
over a year ago

Staffs

cant beleive you are all paying it and giving bono more space to waste. eerything is there a the toch of a button and its all FREE Wooo. it remnds me of a funn thing that happened regards downloading when we had a couple here for an evening !! ive never seen a guys face drain of blood so quickly loll x

over a year ago

"Well it's hardly surprising giving how much they charge for DVDs and music, CARS 2 was 16.99 and that was just the single DVD, needless to say I went to a supermarket and got it for 9.99 instead

See supermarkets yet again undercutting people and taking their business off them so they then have to raise their prices to survive thus creating a vicious circle that then destroys the weaker one the community and jobs xx "

Oh how lovely it was when Arkwright had his shop.

Truth is the majority of local shops were crap, lousy choice, high prices, dirty and paid shit poor wages.

Undercutting the opposition and still make a profit is proof yours is the better business. If British industry were ran half as well as the supermarket chains, we'd still have it.

over a year ago

rant over

"

i went into HMV last year to by a CD for my nephew by a band called madina lake and the girl in HMV who clearly didnt have a clue who they was and wasnt going to ask anyone else who worked their for help, took me round the whole store looking, which i could have done myself, till i told her to forget it, i went and asked someone else and he took me over to flipping female opera singers

half the people in HMV do not have a clue about what they sell unless they are top titles

over a year ago

I used to love Fopp. Unfortunately they over-extended themselves and as is often the case, cash flow was their killer. My favourite record shops though were 23rd Precinct records in Glasgow and Bluebird in Streatham/Brixton...real vinyl junkies.

I still have loads of vinyl, hundreds of cds and have never quite seen the point of downloads as I love having the lyrics, the pictures etc that go with a record/cd.

As for local small businesses, if they are good they will survive. We have a local butchers and they are always busy for two reasons: they offer personal service on first name terms and secondly, the quality of their meat far surpasses the supermarket. Yes they are more expensive but close enough that people choose them. It's much harder when it is an item like a cd/dvd admittedly.

By * times sexyCouple
over a year ago

Staffs

God Bless Pirate Bay lol xx

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Case in point, took all of a minute.

Jim Capladi's special edition 4CD, "Dear Mr Fantasy"

Amazon £23.97 free delivery

HMV £36.99 free delivery

Why? Just why?

HMV are further taking the piss when they recommend i also buy a "package" of said 4CD together with a Foreigner and Supertramp CD for a total of some £52+.

Time, just time.

PS His website streams most, though not all, of his music. Some gems in there.

over a year ago

There was an impressive Elvis Costello boxset released recently,The man himself refused to endorse it saying the price was "either a mis print or a satire"

The price? £212.00

over a year ago

"Personally I think it's a crying shame, you do have to wonder what the supermarkets will start to charge when they have buried all the opposition?

"

nah it wont happen, they have to sell music so cheap otherwise people download it instead of buying it, cd's is a dying form of media thats why they have to be sold so cheap

over a year ago

"support your local shops"

hmv is hardly a local shop, its a national branch of shops,

local/independent record shops went years ago, hardly any left in the country now thanks to the internet for collecting and mp3s

over a year ago

rant over

Spot on knowledge. But the only good thing about HMV is they kept stocking limited edition vinyl and vinyl releases.

Being a bit of a vinyl junkie I used to go to HMV for this reason only. Over the last 2 years each store has phased the tiny amount of what it did out.

This has bucked a public trend as vinyl sales were on the increase when HMV were binning them

Feel sorry for the staff and their families but HMV in the end offers no more than any other DVD/CD shop apart from being more expensive."

use discogs much cheaper and better than any vinyl hmv will stock

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

last time i went in HMV in Leeds (about 6 months ago) there was more space dedicated to gaming, posters, books, and T-shirts than there was CDs, they also seem to have tried to start up in the musical instrument business, as they were aslo selling guitars and amps

Thank feck, here we still Have Crash Records, and Jumbo Music, last of the indepents, with knowledgeable staff

over a year ago

Unfortunately the way the world has moved on I can't see a place for them.

The last few times I have been in the service and knowledge has been poor and the prices have been high.

Add that to the effect of filesharing/the net/YouTube and Amazon and you end up where they are now.

over a year ago

Unfortunate as it is for the staff facing redundancies, I'm afraid it's a case of "what comes around, goes around". Back in the day I used to love browsing through, and spending my dosh, in lots of independent record stores who would stock the obscure or independant stuff. The staff were always helpful and if they didn't have something in stock they would order it for you. Then along came the likes of HMV and Virgin with their megastores and put most of the smaller stores out of business. Now it's the same story except the supermarkets and online stores are the ones doing the undercutting. Thats the way of the world in a free-market economy

Post new Message to Thread