Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Oh dear, we are all doomed!

Jump to newest

By *thwalescpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

brecon

Just watched Prof. Brian Cox give the Christmas lecture on TV, and it got me thinking when he said that the Sun will be dead in 5 billion years.

I started wondering, if the Sun will be dead in this time frame, how long have we got to do something about it? If its dead in 5 billion, then it must be past its best in maybe 3 billion years, so we need to start looking for a new home.

I love tinkering with big numbers, so I did some calculations, and to reach the nearest possible life supporting planet (Keppler 22b) which is about 600 light years away (3,600 trillion miles) at the best possible estimated speed of 10%c (ten percent of the speed of light) it would take us 510 million years!!!

Now, ten percent of c (light speed) is way faster than we can go at the moment, in fact most clever people think we might get to 3%c, which means it would take us at least 1 and a half billion years to get there!

The only way to sustain that kind of journey would be to build a "generation ship", where couples are put on board, and the crew is increased by breeding, so as the first crew dies out, their progeny takes over. The average age might be 80, so it would take about 18,750 million generations!!!

Now, I know that sounds like a long time away, but think about this, it will take them 1.5 billion years to get there, when they will find out if it is habitable, and 1.5 billion years to send someone back to tell us, thats 3 billion years.... about the same length of time that our Sun has of useful life..... and thats if they go now!!!

So, how long will it take to sort this all out?

Thats irrelevant, because having just checked on Wikipeadia, the Suns temperature is increasing, and in about 1 (yes, just one!) billion years all water on the Earths surface will have been boiled away!!

See.... I told you.... we're doomed, doomed I tell ye!!!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

What i noticed about Prof Cocks was his inability to admit to speaking the word 'possibility' he just inferred it. That somehow saying that would detract from a scientists gravitas.

over a year ago

why will it take one & half billion years to send someone back to tell us ???

why cant they just phone

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"Just watched Prof. Brian Cox give the Christmas lecture on TV, and it got me thinking when he said that the Sun will be dead in 5 billion years.

"

Itll be dead long before then.

Phone tapping.

Say no more.

By *uckoldandWifeCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

quicker to just put a huge rocket engine on one side of the planet, strap everyone down and move the earth. Loads of women on her have felt the earth move so it won't be that weird will it??

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

yep it's time to put yer head between yer legs and kiss yer arse goodbye

over a year ago

That is classic.

over a year ago

brecon

"quicker to just put a huge rocket engine on one side of the planet, strap everyone down and move the earth. Loads of women on her have felt the earth move so it won't be that weird will it??"

As far as I understand it, its our planets proximity to a star that gives us all we take for granted, like an atmosphere, light, and warmth, all unfortunately essential to sustaining life.... move the planet, end life!

over a year ago

Somebody agree to shag us sharpish

I hate timescales... the OP has me worried

over a year ago

"quicker to just put a huge rocket engine on one side of the planet, strap everyone down and move the earth. Loads of women on her have felt the earth move so it won't be that weird will it??

As far as I understand it, its our planets proximity to a star that gives us all we take for granted, like an atmosphere, light, and warmth, all unfortunately essential to sustaining life.... move the planet, end life! "

Thats what amazes me. Any mathematicians out there in getting the probability of likfe to be more than one plannet against the billions of plannets already out there. Thats why christians like to use this as there argument. Life has purpose wheras scientists tend to htink it is a random choice... Ask the mathematicians...they know about statistics...maths is truth.

over a year ago

"Somebody agree to shag us sharpish

I hate timescales... the OP has me worried "

Think how many verifications one could get in before the sun dies

over a year ago

brecon

There is a positive side to all this...

If theses "generation ships" are to work, then it would be a swingers paradise... well, for the guys at least lol!

The absolute rule as far as guys are concerned is "Thou must procreate"!!

over a year ago

"There is a positive side to all this...

If theses "generation ships" are to work, then it would be a swingers paradise... well, for the guys at least lol!

The absolute rule as far as guys are concerned is "Thou must procreate"!! "

And where would they put the condoms

over a year ago

brecon

And where would they put the condoms"

Doh..... you missed the point, the idea is to raise as many children as possible, as future crew for the spaceship.

over a year ago

And where would they put the condoms

Doh..... you missed the point, the idea is to raise as many children as possible, as future crew for the spaceship. "

And how will they check for viruses and the weak from the strong. By then it will all be done artificially anyway.

over a year ago

"

Doh..... you missed the point, the idea is to raise as many children as possible, as future crew for the spaceship. "

So I dont get a place on this rocket... Damn the big V...

over a year ago

"Just watched Prof. Brian Cox give the Christmas lecture on TV, and it got me thinking when he said that the Sun will be dead in 5 billion years.

I started wondering, if the Sun will be dead in this time frame, how long have we got to do something about it? If its dead in 5 billion, then it must be past its best in maybe 3 billion years, so we need to start looking for a new home.

I love tinkering with big numbers, so I did some calculations, and to reach the nearest possible life supporting planet (Keppler 22b) which is about 600 light years away (3,600 trillion miles) at the best possible estimated speed of 10%c (ten percent of the speed of light) it would take us 510 million years!!!

Now, ten percent of c (light speed) is way faster than we can go at the moment, in fact most clever people think we might get to 3%c, which means it would take us at least 1 and a half billion years to get there!

The only way to sustain that kind of journey would be to build a "generation ship", where couples are put on board, and the crew is increased by breeding, so as the first crew dies out, their progeny takes over. The average age might be 80, so it would take about 18,750 million generations!!!

Now, I know that sounds like a long time away, but think about this, it will take them 1.5 billion years to get there, when they will find out if it is habitable, and 1.5 billion years to send someone back to tell us, thats 3 billion years.... about the same length of time that our Sun has of useful life..... and thats if they go now!!!

So, how long will it take to sort this all out?

Thats irrelevant, because having just checked on Wikipeadia, the Suns temperature is increasing, and in about 1 (yes, just one!) billion years all water on the Earths surface will have been boiled away!!

See.... I told you.... we're doomed, doomed I tell ye!!!

"

hmmmmmmmm so do i order that extra pinta or not ?

questions questions

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

But look on the bright side :

If the average age is 80 and they're breeding like billio, there's hope for me yet.

And on the speed front, given that breeding is the critical factor, there would be no need to keep women once they have had 3 kid say or are past their "Breed by date" so therefore they could be shoved out of the disposal tube as reaction mass.

Soon get there.

And on arrival meeting primitive aliens? Who wants to travel that far just to meet LUFC fans? ( Other teams are available)

over a year ago

Cant go, dont play bareback

over a year ago

I'd like to have thiS Professor 'over' to go through the maths in more detail

If he got that far

Perhaps our large hadrons will collide before then?

Dark matter? I think so.....

over a year ago

brecon

"I'd like to have thiS Professor 'over' to go through the maths in more detail

If he got that far

Perhaps our large hadrons will collide before then?

Dark matter? I think so....."

Me?

over a year ago

machine based lifeforms...sorta solves our useless bag of water problems

I seriously doubt in 5billion years we could call ourselves 'homo-sapiens'

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"machine based lifeforms...sorta solves our useless bag of water problems

I seriously doubt in 5billion years we could call ourselves 'homo-sapiens'"

more like "homo erectus"...;-)

over a year ago

erectus on that slappable bum aphro! x

over a year ago

Dont panic dont panic Mr Manering sir xx

over a year ago

i dont care about all of that. i want a time machine!

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"erectus on that slappable bum aphro! x"

over a year ago

Using a conventional drive, it may well be possible to get to c15%, but there will be time dilation effects, so that the journey will not last as long for those taking it as for those observing it.

Ark (or generation ships) will almost certainly not work, more likely will be a hibernation ship (where people are frozen into suspended animation) there may be a rotating crew rosta, but build a big enough ship and and you can have a big enough crew for the rosta to work.

Conventional drives (be it chemical propulsion, nuclear pusle drives or fusion propulsion to name but 3 types) though, might not be the way forward.

If the results of the neutrino beam experiment are verified (IE that neutrinos can travel at a speed greater than that of light) it may prove that faster than light propulsion is possible through 'exotic' means.

Neutrinos can also pop in and out of existance in different places (this has also been theoreticaly proved and observed in high energy labs). This means we could teleport from one location to another. This means that it would only take 600 years to travel to this planet. That's still a long time, but not nearly as long as 1.5 billion years. The 'teleport beam' may also be able to cut this time drasticaly. It would also, if teleportation is possible, to transport the equipment to create an 'Einstien-Rossen bridge' or worm hole, anchored between two points, allowing instantaneous travel from one place to another...........

over a year ago

"Using a conventional drive, it may well be possible to get to c15%, but there will be time dilation effects, so that the journey will not last as long for those taking it as for those observing it.

Ark (or generation ships) will almost certainly not work, more likely will be a hibernation ship (where people are frozen into suspended animation) there may be a rotating crew rosta, but build a big enough ship and and you can have a big enough crew for the rosta to work.

Conventional drives (be it chemical propulsion, nuclear pusle drives or fusion propulsion to name but 3 types) though, might not be the way forward.

If the results of the neutrino beam experiment are verified (IE that neutrinos can travel at a speed greater than that of light) it may prove that faster than light propulsion is possible through 'exotic' means.

Neutrinos can also pop in and out of existance in different places (this has also been theoreticaly proved and observed in high energy labs). This means we could teleport from one location to another. This means that it would only take 600 years to travel to this planet. That's still a long time, but not nearly as long as 1.5 billion years. The 'teleport beam' may also be able to cut this time drasticaly. It would also, if teleportation is possible, to transport the equipment to create an 'Einstien-Rossen bridge' or worm hole, anchored between two points, allowing instantaneous travel from one place to another..........."

ala "star gate" i love this science fiction shit

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

I kissed my arse goodnight when I went to bed but I survived the night so guess I'll have to do it again tonight

Post new Message to Thread