Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cake maker in Northern Ireland cleared

Jump to newest

By *loswingers OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucester

So The cake shop that refused to make a cake supporting gay marriage due to their Christian beliefs have been cleared of discrimination by the Supreme Court today .

Is this a decision that you think is fair enough or is it unfair to refuse to make a cake supporting something you are against ?

I think it’s fair enough .

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"So The cake shop that refused to make a cake supporting gay marriage due to their Christian beliefs have been cleared of discrimination by the Supreme Court today .

Is this a decision that you think is fair enough or is it unfair to refuse to make a cake supporting something you are against ?

I think it’s fair enough ."

It's fair because they objected to the cake and not the customer.

over a year ago

Private businesses have the option to do or not do business with whoever they choose to.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"So The cake shop that refused to make a cake supporting gay marriage due to their Christian beliefs have been cleared of discrimination by the Supreme Court today .

I think its fair too. You can choose who you do business with.

over a year ago

Gloucester

"Private businesses have the option to do or not do business with whoever they choose to."

Yes they do , but smaller courts had found them guilty of discrimination !

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

"Private businesses have the option to do or not do business with whoever they choose to."

No they don't. They can't refuse to do business with someone because of a protected characteristic.

By *alking DisasterWoman
over a year ago

South Oxfordshire

It's discrimination.

over a year ago

Look up Blinks of Bicester.

By *good-being-badMan
over a year ago

mis-types and auto corrects leads cock leeds

How much has this (these) cases cost.. give their heads a wobble it's crazy I'm sure there were plenty of other cake shops willing to do it.

Where does it stop . I want a pork pie from a halal butchers ?

over a year ago

Gloucester

"Private businesses have the option to do or not do business with whoever they choose to.

No they don't. They can't refuse to do business with someone because of a protected characteristic. "

I think the act is more to protect those who have a protected characteristic from their employers ?

It would have to proven that a business discriminated against someone with a protected characteristic if the business refused to do business with them .

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

"Private businesses have the option to do or not do business with whoever they choose to.

No they don't. They can't refuse to do business with someone because of a protected characteristic.

I think the act is more to protect those who have a protected characteristic from their employers ?

It would have to proven that a business discriminated against someone with a protected characteristic if the business refused to do business with them .

"

It's unlawful for providers of goods and services to discriminate. Against someone on the basis of a protected characteristic.

Obviously, for example, a pub can't refuse to serve black people.

over a year ago

Gloucester

It's unlawful for providers of goods and services to discriminate. Against someone on the basis of a protected characteristic.

Obviously, for example, a pub can't refuse to serve black people. "

Yes of course , they have to be proven to have discriminated , so back to the op . Did the cake maker discriminate ? Or was it fair enough that making the cake was against their beliefs ?

By *callycatMan
over a year ago

Mid Wales

They didn't discriminate against the customers, they objected to the sociopolitical message they were asked to display on the cake.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Yes of course , they have to be proven to have discriminated , so back to the op . Did the cake maker discriminate ? Or was it fair enough that making the cake was against their beliefs ?"

I wouldn't have thought it was discrimination if they wanted to stand by their religious beliefs.

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

Yes of course , they have to be proven to have discriminated , so back to the op . Did the cake maker discriminate ? Or was it fair enough that making the cake was against their beliefs ?"

There's another thread about this where I set out my legal musings.

Long story short, I think the supreme court were on dubious grounds in arguing there wasn't discrimination on the grounds of political belief.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"They didn't discriminate against the customers, they objected to the sociopolitical message they were asked to display on the cake.

"

That's different then, surely they have a right to do that.

over a year ago

Gloucester

"How much has this (these) cases cost.. give their heads a wobble it's crazy I'm sure there were plenty of other cake shops willing to do it.

Where does it stop . I want a pork pie from a halal butchers ?"

That’s a bloody good point .

It’s obvious that the gay guy who wanted the cake made was looking to call the shop out .

By *andyMinx_tvTV/TS
over a year ago

Leeds

No they don't. They can't refuse to do business with someone because of a protected characteristic. "

Exactly this. So if you are a Christian guesthouse owner and refuse a gay couple the right to stay at your guesthouse because they are gay it's discrimination. 5 Supreme Court judges were unanimous in their decision.

But if the same gay couple went into a cake shop and ordered a penis shaped cake and the proprietor refused on the grounds that they would be outraged by making a cake in the shape of a penis, it wouldn't be discriminatory.

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

"How much has this (these) cases cost.. give their heads a wobble it's crazy I'm sure there were plenty of other cake shops willing to do it.

It’s obvious that the gay guy who wanted the cake made was looking to call the shop out . "

That wouldn't be discrimination, no more than a Christian book shop selling the quran.

Shops can choose what products they sell. They can't discriminate against customers.

over a year ago

It’s obvious that the gay guy who wanted the cake made was looking to call the shop out .

That wouldn't be discrimination, no more than a Christian book shop selling the quran.

Shops can choose what products they sell. They can't discriminate against customers. "

Thats true but there is no obligation to sell someone a product they can refuse to serve.

over a year ago

It was a targeted purchase because the activist (not just an ordinary customer) knew that they would refuse to scribe the message.

Total bullshit case that has cost thousands

over a year ago

Gloucester

Shops can choose what products they sell. They can't discriminate against customers.

Thats true but there is no obligation to sell someone a product they can refuse to serve. "

And to be fair , they refused to produce the cake with the design on it . It didn’t exist . It’s not like it was there for the taking , they refused to make it .

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

Thats true but there is no obligation to sell someone a product they can refuse to serve. "

Yes, I was trying to make that point.!

If the halal butcher refused to serve people who were not Muslims that would be unlawful.

over a year ago

Thats true but there is no obligation to sell someone a product they can refuse to serve.

Yes, I was trying to make that point.!

If the halal butcher refused to serve people who were not Muslims that would be unlawful. "

No but they wouldn't they like to make money believe me

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

And to be fair , they refused to produce the cake with the design on it . It didn’t exist . It’s not like it was there for the taking , they refused to make it ."

They specifically advertised a service where you could design your own cake with your own slogan. They originally took his order and his money and a few days changed their mind.

There was no dispute they refused to offer him a service they offered to other people. The issue was the reason for the refusal.

over a year ago

"They didn't discriminate against the customers, they objected to the sociopolitical message they were asked to display on the cake.

"

Correct. I this there has been much to demonstrate it was a deliberate attempt to entrap for personal and social political reasons too. A 'Christaian' business was targeted for this very reason. There were other businesses they could have approached and had it made exactly as they wished, however that was never the intent.

It's unfortunate that some feel they have to go to these length to try and make a point right or wrong.

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

From when I lived in NI where this case had rumbled on forever it seems the complainant has form for these types of litigations/complaints as though they are some militant wing of a process that forces others to live according to their rules rather than accepting we all have choices, as did the complainant.

There are no shortage of bakeries in Belfast, and it does appear that the defendant was targeted specifically for their locally known beliefs.

NI is often an inherently fundamentalist and tribalust place in many things not just it's refusal to accept social change equality abortion same sex marriage etc. This case has done nothing to bring more liberal attitudes to that region.

By *evensnipeMan
over a year ago

Rhyl

Quite simply, a cake is not a protected characteristic and it was the slogan on the cake they objected to.

over a year ago

"From when I lived in NI where this case had rumbled on forever it seems the complainant has form for these types of litigations/complaints as though they are some militant wing of a process that forces others to live according to their rules rather than accepting we all have choices, as did the complainant.

There are no shortage of bakeries in Belfast, and it does appear that the defendant was targeted specifically for their locally known beliefs.

NI is often an inherently fundamentalist and tribalust place in many things not just it's refusal to accept social change equality abortion same sex marriage etc. This case has done nothing to bring more liberal attitudes to that region.

"

To target someone is pretty sick people who do this really have their own issues that need to be addressed.

over a year ago

Gloucester

And to be fair , they refused to produce the cake with the design on it . It didn’t exist . It’s not like it was there for the taking , they refused to make it .

They specifically advertised a service where you could design your own cake with your own slogan. They originally took his order and his money and a few days changed their mind.

There was no dispute they refused to offer him a service they offered to other people. The issue was the reason for the refusal. "

So the gay activist who knew they would be against the idea of gay marriage , went in and deliberately asked them to produce a cake supporting gay marriage , and an assistant who didn’t know the owners wouldn’t like the idea took his money thinking it would be ok .

When they found the order , they said we won’t do this , and gave him a refund . He took them to court and won , they went to the Supreme Court and it was overturned and they won .

Why should they make a cake that is against their belief ? Plenty of others would have made it . The gay guy was trying to make a point and it has backfired on him . Common sense has prevailed for a change .

over a year ago

To be honest the PC attitudes of some minorities are ruining this Country. There has been justice and hopefully the company can continue to trade with decent non-trouble causing babyish people.

over a year ago

Gloucester

It's discrimination."

I wouldn’t want you to think your point was being passed by , why do you think it’s discrimination ?

over a year ago

Or should I say continue to trade without trouble causing babyish people hahaha.

Get on with it!

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

There was no dispute they refused to offer him a service they offered to other people. The issue was the reason for the refusal.

So the gay activist who knew they would be against the idea of gay marriage , went in and deliberately asked them to produce a cake supporting gay marriage , and an assistant who didn’t know the owners wouldn’t like the idea took his money thinking it would be ok .

When they found the order , they said we won’t do this , and gave him a refund . He took them to court and won , they went to the Supreme Court and it was overturned and they won .

Why should they make a cake that is against their belief ? Plenty of others would have made it . The gay guy was trying to make a point and it has backfired on him . Common sense has prevailed for a change ."

It was the owner who took the order and the gay guy didn't know of their Christian beliefs. That's set out in the judgement which is on the supreme court website. It's worth reading.

I am not entirely convinced that making discrimination on the grounds of political or religious beliefs unlawful is always a good thing, but the fact is that it is unlawful. The fact that other people could have made the cake is irrelevant to the legal issue.

I thing the supreme courts reasoning as to why this wasn't discrimination on the grounds of political belief is not altogether convincing.

over a year ago

Why should they make a cake that is against their belief ? Plenty of others would have made it . The gay guy was trying to make a point and it has backfired on him . Common sense has prevailed for a change ."

A similar thing happened in England a couple years ago where a Christian couple who ran a B&B who advertised only in Christian cirvles were targeted for similar reasons by a gay reporter who tried to book a ropm with a double bed for him and his gay parner. The couple refused on similar basis, we're taken to court by the reporter, they tried to fight it and lost. They lost everything including their home. There was no victory for any rights but rather displayed again what length some people will go to looking for offense.

By *radleywigginsMan
over a year ago

northwest

Surely the job of the court in this case is decide whether a law has been broken. And not to decide whether a law is an ass.

The personal feelings of anyone posting on this thread about the issues on which it’s based are irrelevant

over a year ago

Gloucester

Why should they make a cake that is against their belief ? Plenty of others would have made it . The gay guy was trying to make a point and it has backfired on him . Common sense has prevailed for a change .

It was the owner who took the order and the gay guy didn't know of their Christian beliefs. That's set out in the judgement which is on the supreme court website. It's worth reading.

I am not entirely convinced that making discrimination on the grounds of political or religious beliefs unlawful is always a good thing, but the fact is that it is unlawful. The fact that other people could have made the cake is irrelevant to the legal issue.

I thing the supreme courts reasoning as to why this wasn't discrimination on the grounds of political belief is not altogether convincing. "

I stand corrected , it was the owners wife who took the order , but she didn’t say anything as she didn’t want to create a scene at the time .

Although the court says the gay guy didn’t know of their strong and genuine Christian beliefs , I somewhat doubt that .

I hope they now have a disclaimer on their cake making service to prevent further issues .

By *lanemikeMan
over a year ago

Bolton

Seems simple to me, just move to somewhere who will accept your order and fulfill it. Why has all this money been wasted keeping lawyers in work ??

over a year ago

A friend of mine owns a tattoo shop. He recently refused a customer because he wanted a swastika tattoo.

So if I support him in that, and would hate to see legislation that forces people to deal with customers no matter what.

The cake shop people should be allowed to do the same. The correct response is to buy your cakes elsewhere, and talk to your friends about it. This bakery is now famous from the court cases, so people can boycott it.

People power is a better solution than more legislation.

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

I thing the supreme courts reasoning as to why this wasn't discrimination on the grounds of political belief is not altogether convincing.

I stand corrected , it was the owners wife who took the order , but she didn’t say anything as she didn’t want to create a scene at the time .

Although the court says the gay guy didn’t know of their strong and genuine Christian beliefs , I somewhat doubt that .

I hope they now have a disclaimer on their cake making service to prevent further issues ."

It's an interesting point as to why anyone making a cake with a particular message are thought to agree with that message.

No one would think that if I asked a cake maker to make a cake saying. "Sheffield United are the best team ever" or "mum I love you" that the cake maker agreed with me about the blades or my mum.

Ditto no one would think an Atheist printer printing the Bible agreed with Christianity.

So what's the issue here?

over a year ago

Could the baker have refused on the grounds of just thinking the cake design was tacky?

over a year ago

"Seems simple to me, just move to somewhere who will accept your order and fulfill it. Why has all this money been wasted keeping lawyers in work ??"

The reason it’s so important is that it is very close to the line bordering on people’s freedom. On one hand they are free to discriminate, on the other hand you have states in America now where any business or public service can refuse to serve LGBT people, (including police and ambulance service).

In this instance, the courts got it right.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 10/10/18 14:47:03]

over a year ago

As an Ex Store Manager, I had the right to refuse,to serve a customer, think this is a fair decision x Y

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

Could the baker have refused on the grounds of just thinking the cake design was tacky?"

Yes.

over a year ago

Could the baker have refused on the grounds of just thinking the cake design was tacky?

Yes. "

Thanks

By *y Favorite PornstarCouple
over a year ago

Basingstoke

Yes.

Thanks "

And tacky it was

over a year ago

As an Ex Store Manager, I had the right to refuse,to serve a customer, think this is a fair decision x Y "

I would have thought this is what the shop did but it looks like it was targeted and some sort of entrapment goes on. It goes to show if in doubt just refuse to serve and not give any reason.

over a year ago

Gloucester

Yes.

Thanks

And tacky it was "

It really was .

Why the characters from Sesame Street ?

over a year ago

Yes.

Thanks

And tacky it was

It really was .

"

Because they have been reported as being gay.

over a year ago

Gloucester

Yes.

Thanks

And tacky it was

It really was .

Because they have been reported as being gay."

Seriously ?

Wow I never knew that .

over a year ago

Basingstoke

Yes.

Thanks

And tacky it was

It really was .

Seriously ?

Wow I never knew that ."

Fake news. One of the many writers who once worked on the show said that they were. So the people that actually own the rights to make that statement confirmed puppets don't have sexual orientation and it's not true.

over a year ago

Gloucester

Yes.

Thanks

And tacky it was

It really was .

Seriously ?

Wow I never knew that .

Fake news. One of the many writers who once worked on the show said that they were. So the people that actually own the rights to make that statement confirmed puppets don't have sexual orientation and it's not true. "

I was going to say that other than Miss Piggy and her infatuation with Kermit , I don’t recall any sexual orientation on Sesame Street .

over a year ago

Yes.

Thanks

And tacky it was "

I haven't seen it, so can't really comment on that. I was just wondering if that reason would be seen as legitimate and not lead to litigation.

over a year ago

why should anyone be made to do anything they don't want to do unless it's a legal requirement, so I for one am happy about the outcome

over a year ago

Basingstoke

I think it’s fair enough .why should anyone be made to do anything they don't want to do unless it's a legal requirement, so I for one am happy about the outcome "

Because big brother isn't going to stop at passive acceptance.

over a year ago

This.

By *ortobello SionnachWoman
over a year ago

Dublin

I think it’s fair enough .why should anyone be made to do anything they don't want to do unless it's a legal requirement, so I for one am happy about the outcome "

There is a point in that it all depends on if they give grounds for refusal.

By *rontier PsychiatristMan
over a year ago

Coventry

I think the devil is in the detail here. Although I can understand the man buying a cake may have felt a second class citizen we have to look at the reason for refusal. They did not refuse him because he as an individual was gay. They refused to make the cake on grounds that they would be making a celebratory cake for change of law that they did not believe right on religious grounds. So not discrimination against the customer more a case of not wanting to propagate values that are not in line with the companies values or image. I'm sure they would have refuse to make the say cake likewise for someone they assumed streight. One could argue its a worrying situation if people are force to make items/provide services in support of political legislation or movements they don't support.

Although I don't like the cake makers view on the change in marriage law I think common sense has prevailed here.

over a year ago

Basingstoke

"I think the devil is in the detail here. Although I can understand the man buying a cake may have felt a second class citizen we have to look at the reason for refusal. They did not refuse him because he as an individual was gay. They refused to make the cake on grounds that they would be making a celebratory cake for change of law that they did not believe right on religious grounds. So not discrimination against the customer more a case of not wanting to propagate values that are not in line with the companies values or image. I'm sure they would have refuse to make the say cake likewise for someone they assumed streight. One could argue its a worrying situation if people are force to make items/provide services in support of political legislation or movements they don't support.

Although I don't like the cake makers view on the change in marriage law I think common sense has prevailed here. "

Agreed. During pride month, companies were falling over themselves to show how woke they support of gay marriage. It's a worrying set of circumstances if companies aren't allowed the opposite or a more nuanced opinion. That is literally thought policing.

Post new Message to Thread