Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Christmas

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

This year for various reasons, I'm not doing the Christmas thing: no decorations, no tree, not sending cards, not doing the frantic insane shopping thing or the huge meal. Do you know- it's a wonderful feeling to throw that yolk off. Does everyone else 'do' Christmas?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Do the tree, the pressies n the dinner. This year made the cards from last years, cut up and stuck on coloured card to make new ones. Was fun.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

This is the 1st year I have put a small tree up....

and bought a Poinsettia.

and am going away for Christmas and New Year.

complete waste of time.

over a year ago

no not doing xmas, having xmas dinner thats all no tree or decorations

over a year ago

I have 3 children so wouldnt consider it an option to not "do" christmas in any way but last year my younger children were with their dad until christmas day evening so my elder child and i sat around in our pjs all day, watched crap tv and ate chinese for dinner.... was good but we did the whole dinner thing boxing day

I think we put way to much pressure on ourselves for 1 day

over a year ago

Whenever I am on my own I would celebrate Christmas on my own.

I do not buy presents for friends and families, as I believe if I care about them enough, I would buy them presents whenever I see something I know they would like, and would give it to them as soon as I can, rather than to wait until Christmas.

I do, however, cook meals that are more elaborate, and eat food I don't normally buy or eat during the rest of the year.

Roll on 23 Dec when I shall pitch my tent up 6 miles from home, with the dog!

I have fairy lights, tinsels and a little tree to go with the tent, and a Santa hat for me, and an Elf hat as well as a Santa coat for the pooch.

So although I shall be on my own with just the dog for company, I shall be in "Christmas" spirit all the same.

over a year ago

I like christmas cards and decorations and luckily i dont have a big family so dont have to buy lots of presants. We arent bothered about buying special food, we only buy it for my son as he comes round at christmas time.

over a year ago

I have three kids but they are at the non believer stage, so its great, but we will do the pressies but as for the meal, we are having mexican.

over a year ago

I have just 3 little christmas ornaments out. I'm not buying any gifts this year due to having spent all me money on me

I keep thinking I'll make it up to friends when I move house and have a bit more cash and not feeling so selfish with the wee bit I have lol!

over a year ago

I've got the tree out and some decorations up for the little one's.

Other than that christmas means nothing to me as that is when I found out their mother was having an affair 2 years ago on christmas day.

over a year ago

I am ms christmas,love everything about it do the full hog plus more,did miss one three yrs ago when i lost a loved one but ive my mojo.back and to me christmas is a time to share with family and loved ones ,even tho i seem them.nearly everyday.....but i admit i love christmas......

over a year ago

my 4 would go mad if there was no xmas .Thay go back to into feeling like kids again i am sure , lol teens now 20s its still all about them and here i am in bed with flu come back feeling yukkk . its car this year one passed her test , lol should be here today.

over a year ago

"This is the 1st year I have put a small tree up....

and bought a Poinsettia.

and am going away for Christmas and New Year.

complete waste of time.

"

Now they are the 1 thing I dont like at christmas Poinsettia but I pu that down to being 16 working in Tesco and having to spend a whole Saturday up and down a blooming ladder watering about 500 of the buggers

over a year ago

I like the festivity of it, but well, I am not a Christian so the "meaning" of Christmas is ot something I go in for.

Presents are bought for younger family members who shouldnt have to cope with a "weird" uncle. For the most part, I like this time of year for food and celebration, the flickering hearth and candles, bringing a bit of green in from outside and wine, lots and lots of wine (and not the form variety)

over a year ago

I think giving Christmas a miss this year is making us realise what IS important about it. It is NOT important to be sucked into the huge shopping/ consumption thing. I'm not religious anymore but maybe I should be pagan and use it to welcome the fresh year coming

over a year ago

Why not celebrate "Yule" instead. Burn a large log for twelve days starting on the 21st to conquer the darkness, banish evil spirits and bring luck for the coming year.

over a year ago

"Why not celebrate "Yule" instead. Burn a large log for twelve days starting on the 21st to conquer the darkness, banish evil spirits and bring luck for the coming year."

That's the ticket, it is after all midwinter and many different faiths celebrate in different ways, the great thing is, we are all celebrating, to some extent.

As for those without faith or who have had a hard year, it's no matter, I take delight in watching others celebrate, the colours, the songs, the lights and perhaps most importantly, the smiling and laughter.

As I am mow pretty much alone, this time of year can make one feel twice as alone, but I won't let that dampen things!

P.s. I want a train set!

By *ornyHorwichCpl aka HHCCouple
over a year ago

horwich

The only thing I have to do with Christmas is my usual visit from the ghosts of Christmas past, present & future...

We have got quite chummy over the years

Baaaaa Humbug to it all says I

over a year ago

I dont think you can take xmas from small kids ... i know it was the best time of the year for me ... Getting up in the moring having a big bag of gifts from santer ... and thay never really cost loads . Games and things and sweets and cindy and barbie dolls mum would make all sorts for them so i could dress them up. And we would be a family everyone would come over as my nan and geandad lived with us ... be a house full , my geandad would get so d*unk but before he did put his teeth in botton of the beer glass he was always going of to the moon ,

over a year ago

Originations (approximate)

Wreaths - Ancient Egyptians n Romans

Yule Logs - Norse

Misletoe - Celts, Druid and Norse

over a year ago

well i dont have any surviving family apart from my son. so we came to a good arrangement starting last year. we see each other xmas eve for a meal out swhere. he goes out and gets bladdered in the evening, so is hungover all xmas day. sees his girlfriend in the evening. i work xmas day, cos i run a business from home, so get everyone to bring the work to me early. then boxing day we get together again and go to a ftball match.

this arrangement works for both of us. we never buy any extra food, we buy one present each. its the nicest christmases ive had, and its quite cheap.

over a year ago

"Why not celebrate "Yule" instead. Burn a large log for twelve days starting on the 21st to conquer the darkness, banish evil spirits and bring luck for the coming year.

That's the ticket, it is after all midwinter and many different faiths celebrate in different ways, the great thing is, we are all celebrating, to some extent.

As for those without faith or who have had a hard year, it's no matter, I take delight in watching others celebrate, the colours, the songs, the lights and perhaps most importantly, the smiling and laughter.

As I am mow pretty much alone, this time of year can make one feel twice as alone, but I won't let that dampen things!

P.s. I want a train set!"

but yer only offering a small graven image! tch

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

i am Christian...so do chistmas...but try to remember the reason i am doing it,and certainly do not get caught up in the mad festival of excess

And yes,before anyone tells me,i know Jesus wasnt born on the 25th of December...

over a year ago

"

P.s. I want a train set!

but yer only offering a small graven image! tch"

It's the thought that counts

over a year ago

Not just this year, but I could happily go into hibernation at about the beginning of December, and come out again on the 31st!!

Mind you, I could change my mind if........???

over a year ago

Hibernation- exactly.

over a year ago

I'm having this Christmas alone

It summat I've always wanted ta do so I'm doing it

I am buying prezzies though

Roll on new year xx

over a year ago

This will be the first year I've done Chrisamas for a few years. Last year I was trekking in a jungle in Thailand, the year before I helped feed those less fortunate both of which were fantastic experiences which I plan to repeat.

This year we are at Boho-j's parents. We will ride there Christmas morning which I'm looking forward to as we can do it pretty much entirely off road. The plan is to take mince pies and share them with any other walkers/cyclists/horseriders we come across! I'm probably looking forward to that as much as having a quality Xmas dinner cooked for me!

Post new Message to Thread