Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What is Racism?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

What is racism?

Is it a white only thing? Or am I the only one who has come across racism in all races...but it seems the whites are the only ones who get accused of it.

And no I'm not racist...but I do see it everywhere.

I like or dislike people regardless of colour or creed.

Your thoughts?

(thread closed by moderator)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

First I’ve heard of whites only getting accused of being racist.

I’ve been called racist enough times on here for having a preference.

Racists come in all races, religions, colours & creeds.

Reply privately

over a year ago

People who hate racing

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"First I’ve heard of whites only getting accused of being racist.

Racists come in all races, religions, colours & creeds. "

I'm just watching the politics show on BBC 2 and it gets me kinda confused when I see them talking about islamaphobia and all the likes when it is aimed at just one group..

Reply privately

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

Racists come in all races, religions, colours & creeds.

I'm just watching the politics show on BBC 2 and it gets me kinda confused when I see them talking about islamaphobia and all the likes when it is aimed at just one group.."

That NUS President was out of her depth.

Reply privately

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

I lived in the Bahamas for a while. There was a lot of black on black racism. The Bahamians also didn't like the ex pats regardless of colour, however, they were of the opinion that it was the ultimate status symbol for them to have a white wife/girlfriend. Indeed, a string of them if possible. Go figure lol.

Reply privately

over a year ago

My stepdad lived in London in the 70s he always said the racism between other races at that time was terrible.

Of course it also happens between whites too.

Reply privately

By *uteness69Woman
over a year ago

Walthamstow

What is racism?

Racism is the belief that one race is superior to another race.

Reply privately

By *xMFM3sumsxxWoman
over a year ago

SouthWest Lancashire

Racism is the belief that one race is superior to another. Anyone can believe that.

Institutionalised racism though is where whole races have been oppressed by a society and can never apply to white people because of this definition.

Reply privately

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"What is racism?

Is it a white only thing? Or am I the only one who has come across racism in all races...but it seems the whites are the only ones who get accused of it.

Your thoughts?"

I think the concept of racism either confuses the issue or over complicates and I'm not quite sure which

What I witness daily is

Tribalism , groups of humans who form a link between themselves , colour , religion , football team , town , village , European , English , student , skier, working class , Tory voter ,

Name a group and within that group a number of them will try to find a common enemy or other group to hate!

And it is very sad

Reply privately

By *xMFM3sumsxxWoman
over a year ago

SouthWest Lancashire

Also look up structured racism, societal racism, systematic racism.

These never apply to white people either.

Reply privately

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

"Racism is the belief that one race is superior to another. Anyone can believe that.

Institutionalised racism though is where whole races have been oppressed by a society and can never apply to white people because of this definition."

Why can it "never" apply to white people?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What is racism?

Your thoughts?"

It's a very negative subject and it's best left alone but it's a common subject to be thrust upon here

Reply privately

By *xMFM3sumsxxWoman
over a year ago

SouthWest Lancashire

"Racism is the belief that one race is superior to another. Anyone can believe that.

Institutionalised racism though is where whole races have been oppressed by a society and can never apply to white people because of this definition.

Why can it "never" apply to white people? "

Because we haven't been oppressed as a race. We can enforce it but it never actually has been applied to us by other cultures or races generally. It's always white people doing the oppressing of other cultures, even the irish i suppose but that's not a race.

Reply privately

By *andWCoupleCouple
over a year ago

Luton

[Removed by poster at 05/10/18 14:03:05]

Reply privately

By *andWCoupleCouple
over a year ago

Luton

[Removed by poster at 05/10/18 14:03:21]

Reply privately

By *andWCoupleCouple
over a year ago

Luton

Apologies for the deleted posts above ... third time lucky!

What I wanted to say before my fingers developed a mind of their own was:

Totally agree Chanelle

Reply privately

By *uteness69Woman
over a year ago

Walthamstow

Why can it "never" apply to white people? "

Hahahahahahahahaha.

White privilege is real.

Reply privately

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

Because we haven't been oppressed as a race. We can enforce it but it never actually has been applied to us by other cultures or races generally. It's always white people doing the oppressing of other cultures, even the irish i suppose but that's not a race."

Leaving aside the dubious history, (when Muslim societies were strong in the middle ages they routinely kid napped Europeans and sold them into slavery, post colonial discrimination against whites in places like Algeria and Zimbabwe etc) you're making a claim that White people can Never be victims of institutional racism, i. E. That it's not possible.

A society where black people oppress white people IS possible is it not?

Reply privately

By *uteness69Woman
over a year ago

Walthamstow

Because we haven't been oppressed as a race. We can enforce it but it never actually has been applied to us by other cultures or races generally. It's always white people doing the oppressing of other cultures, even the irish i suppose but that's not a race.

Leaving aside the dubious history, (when Muslim societies were strong in the middle ages they routinely kid napped Europeans and sold them into slavery, post colonial discrimination against whites in places like Algeria and Zimbabwe etc) you're making a claim that White people can Never be victims of institutional racism, i. E. That it's not possible.

A society where black people oppress white people IS possible is it not? "

No.

Reply privately

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

No.

"

Why not

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

This.

Reply privately

By *horecruxCouple
over a year ago

SE4

Nearly went a full week with out this being a issue that needs clearing up

Reply privately

By *xMFM3sumsxxWoman
over a year ago

SouthWest Lancashire

Of course it's possible. It just doesn't exist. There's nothing right now where white people can claim they are not privileged.

Slavery is a part of oppression obviously, down to hierarchy. And POC are doing less well than white people overall there too at this time (wages and working are a part of slavery imo). So even when something affects ALL races it is POC who tend to be doing worst off in these cases too, still.

Reply privately

By *uteness69Woman
over a year ago

Walthamstow

No.

Why not "

White people have all of the power and privilege in systems that they’ve set up over centuries to benefit them.

Access to jobs, education, healthcare and even beauty standards all privilege the white experience so there’s no real way for white people to face oppression for their race from people of color.

But since people of color don’t historically have power as a whole in America on anywhere near the same level as white people, those assumptions aren’t able to be weaponized the way that white prejudice against people of color can be, even if they hurt some white peoples feelings. No white person is going to not get a job solely for being their race or be denied access to healthcare, housing, and food, or be put in danger because of any jokes or slurs thrown at them. On the other hand when a white person tells a prejudiced joke or assumes something about a person of color they reinforce the same racial stereotypes that have oppressed people of color for centuries leading to further racial discrimination that often costs people of color their lives.

Reply privately

By *xMFM3sumsxxWoman
over a year ago

SouthWest Lancashire

No.

Why not

White people have all of the power and privilege in systems that they’ve set up over centuries to benefit them.

Access to jobs, education, healthcare and even beauty standards all privilege the white experience so there’s no real way for white people to face oppression for their race from people of color.

But since people of color don’t historically have power as a whole in America on anywhere near the same level as white people, those assumptions aren’t able to be weaponized the way that white prejudice against people of color can be, even if they hurt some white peoples feelings. No white person is going to not get a job solely for being their race or be denied access to healthcare, housing, and food, or be put in danger because of any jokes or slurs thrown at them. On the other hand when a white person tells a prejudiced joke or assumes something about a person of color they reinforce the same racial stereotypes that have oppressed people of color for centuries leading to further racial discrimination that often costs people of color their lives.

"

Reply privately

By *uteness69Woman
over a year ago

Walthamstow

No.

Why not

"

Taken from a very informative and well written article in hello giggle.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Totally agree with this.

Reply privately

By *uteness69Woman
over a year ago

Walthamstow

Leaving aside the dubious history, (when Muslim

societies were strong in the middle ages they routinely kid napped Europeans and sold them into slavery, post colonial discrimination against whites in places like Algeria and Zimbabwe etc) you're making a claim that White people can Never be victims of institutional racism, i. E. That it's not possible.

No.

Why not

Taken from a very informative and well written article in hello giggle.

"

Happy to share link in dm.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yes it is, look at the white farmers where mugabe is.

Reply privately

By *horecruxCouple
over a year ago

SE4

A society where black people oppress white people IS possible is it not? Yes it is, look at the white farmers where mugabe is."

The back to Africa movement aswell that started up after abolishing slavery too

Reply privately

By *xMFM3sumsxxWoman
over a year ago

SouthWest Lancashire

Yes it is, look at the white farmers where mugabe is."

Only because white people own most of the farms. Privilege has backfired on them.

Reply privately

By *rysandMadsCouple
over a year ago

Barnstaple

Racism is prejudice + power. It's where a group without power is disadvantaged due to their skin colour and ethnicity. Prejudice is discrimination against any group, including white people. But racism involves a level of power at a systematic and individual level that prejudice doesn't need.

That is my interpretation, as a white woman, but I accept I am not in a minority group, so my opinion and experience carries much less weight than those affected.

Reply privately

By *olfAndKittenCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Personally i think racism is a funny word...

By definition "to hate a race"

Now as far as race is concerned, we are all part of the human race... Everything else is biology and evolution.

So to hate a race is to hate the same race which is the human race which the individual is a part of, therefore actually hates themselves....

Reply privately

By *uteness69Woman
over a year ago

Walthamstow

Only because white people own most of the farms. Privilege has backfired on them."

Mugabe is a despot.

The violence inflicted is tragic but you're looking for a reason to say poc are carrying out consist oppression against white people.

This is not it.

Reply privately

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

No.

Why not

"

Yes, that shows that historically most victims of racism have been black

But we are talking about the possibility of black people being beneficiaries of institutional racism. In some countries they clearly have. For example, non black people have been discriminated against in various countries like Algeria, Zimbabwe, Uganda and Kenya.

Given that, how can one say it's not possible for there to be institutional racism in favour of black people

Reply privately

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

Only because white people own most of the farms. Privilege has backfired on them."

Indeed, but it's still racism is it not. White people used to be in charge in Zimbabwe and were racist towards black people. Black people are now in charge and are racist against white people.

I can't see how the fact that the whites started it means that when black people do the same thing it isn't racist.

Reply privately

By *y Favorite PornstarCouple
over a year ago

Basingstoke

Racism is simply treating people unjustly based on their race as opposed to their character. All this nonse about belief or power is neo-marxist drivel.

Furthermore, racism is a scale and nobody is 100% non-racist. Some of the most racist people today are black Americans. The North Korean state is a perfect example of actual institutional racism and Japan has more everyday racism than you can shake a stick at.

Reply privately

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Of course it's possible. It just doesn't exist.

"

Christians are persecuted in Egypt, but that is more religious than racial I guess.

Reply privately

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Only because white people own most of the farms. Privilege has backfired on them.

Indeed, but it's still racism is it not. White people used to be in charge in Zimbabwe and were racist towards black people. Black people are now in charge and are racist against white people.

I can't see how the fact that the whites started it means that when black people do the same thing it isn't racist. "

Yes, I guess it depends how you define racism. if it means believing you are superior to, or just hating another race.

I am sure many of the blacks in Zimbabwe hate the whites who persecuted them, but do they feel they are superior? Not sure - so by one definition it would be racist and by another not.

But when my afro-caribbean friend looks at something that is a mess and says 'That's a bit bloody Nigerian', then yes, in either sense it is a racist comment.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Because we haven't been oppressed as a race. We can enforce it but it never actually has been applied to us by other cultures or races generally. It's always white people doing the oppressing of other cultures, even the irish i suppose but that's not a race."

This is similar to how I see and have exprienced Racism. To be prejudice is something we are all guilty of at times. However Racism can only be practiced by those who are in "Power".

White people predominantly control most aspects of society e.g banks, Politics, council, etc. Many of these things were obtained from the free Labour whites recieved (slavery). There's been no reparations and many would argue some of the same restrictions we had during that horrific period is still played out today.

I think threads like this are good, there's needs to be more healthy dialogue without people blaming or taking offence. In my humble opinion

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

I can't see how the fact that the whites started it means that when black people do the same thing it isn't racist.

Yes, I guess it depends how you define racism. if it means believing you are superior to, or just hating another race.

I am sure many of the blacks in Zimbabwe hate the whites who persecuted them, but do they feel they are superior? Not sure - so by one definition it would be racist and by another not."

And that last bit highlights the absurdity of that definition. By definition, you do not know your sub-conscious thoughts. Therefore, to make inner thoughts the central point of the definition is cringe worthy levels of ignorance.

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Racists probably exist in all races. It's perhaps most readily observed in the people you encounter, including your own race. I think dominant societies may have a predisposition towards recreating their self-idealised superiority over others.

Racist behaviour may evolve, as it's increasingly distasteful to others, influencing people to subdue or morph their style.

It's certainly something that was tolerated for too long and I would have more respect for leader s if they'd been at the forefront of creating change, rather than silent or a sheep

Reply privately

over a year ago

What a sadly limited view you have. Are you American? There are other countries you know where the whites are a minority. Try being a white farmer in Zimbabwe over the last few decades and tell me there is no racism against whites. And there are plenty of other similar situations. You think China isn't ta ust against white people that live there!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Basingstoke

What a sadly limited view you have. Are you American? There are other countries you know where the whites are a minority. Try being a white farmer in Zimbabwe over the last few decades and tell me there is no racism against whites. And there are plenty of other similar situations. You think China isn't ta ust against white people that live there! "

Odd example to choose. Whites are definately top of the foreigner hierarchy in china. Black people are the bottom by far. Most Chinese parents would not allow their child to marry a black person.

Reply privately

over a year ago

What a sadly limited view you have. Are you American? There are other countries you know where the whites are a minority. Try being a white farmer in Zimbabwe over the last few decades and tell me there is no racism against whites. And there are plenty of other similar situations. You think China isn't ta ust against white people that live there!

Odd example to choose. Whites are definately top of the foreigner hierarchy in china. Black people are the bottom by far. Most Chinese parents would not allow their child to marry a black person. "

Sorry for not ranking racism according to your satisfaction, lol. But obviously your point is irrelevant, there is still anti - white racism in China,

I expect I've spent more time there than you.

The thread was about whites suffering or not from racism, so pointing out statistical anomalies is just irritating and takes the thread nowhere.

And do you also think whites get it better in Zimbabwe than say rhino's or elephants so that isn't valid either?

That's a rhetorical question by the way.

Reply privately

By *uteness69Woman
over a year ago

Walthamstow

Odd example to choose. Whites are definately top of the foreigner hierarchy in china. Black people are the bottom by far. Most Chinese parents would not allow their child to marry a black person.

Sorry for not ranking racism according to your satisfaction, lol. But obviously your point is irrelevant, there is still anti - white racism in China,

The thread was about whites suffering or not from racism, so pointing out statistical anomalies is just irritating and takes the thread nowhere.

And do you also think whites get it better in Zimbabwe than say rhino's or elephants so that isn't valid either?

That's a rhetorical question by the way. "

Idiotic retort.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Idiotic retort. "

Great addition to the thread, please go and stalk somebody else. You're embarrassing yourself. And it won't get me to message you so just leave me alone please. It's really annoying.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Idiotic retort.

Great addition to the thread, please go and stalk somebody else. You're embarrassing yourself. And it won't get me to message you so just leave me alone please. It's really annoying. "

Reply privately

By *uteness69Woman
over a year ago

Walthamstow

Idiotic retort.

Great addition to the thread, please go and stalk somebody else. You're embarrassing yourself. And it won't get me to message you so just leave me alone please. It's really annoying. "

reported

Reply privately