Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Question Time

Jump to newest

By *rumpyMcFuckNugget OP   Man
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

For anyone that watched it last night, do you agree with that George the Poet guy . Although he didn't exactly say it outright you can tell he thinks that many of us Brits are hardwired to be Xenophobic and Racist . Or do you agree with an audience member last night who said " Britian is the most tolerant nation on Earth " ??

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I’m not one to enter a politics debate on a fuck site forum, but I think both views have some merit.

By *dontknowMan
over a year ago

North Devon

OP, I liked some of what he had to say, but I thought the longer the programme went on the harder he tried to be more confrontational and push the racist argument.

At least he wasn’t as much of an idiot as the white guy who was sat at the back in the audience who basically claimed that there wasn’t any racism

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

[Removed by poster at 06/10/18 10:07:15]

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

[Removed by poster at 06/10/18 10:07:17]

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

"OP, I liked some of what he had to say, but I thought the longer the programme went on the harder he tried to be more confrontational and push the racist argument.

At least he wasn’t as much of an idiot as the white guy who was sat at the back in the audience who basically claimed that there wasn’t any racism "

The idiot white guy was using league tables. They exist for wealth, health, happiness, poverty, spending, health services etc. He happened to use one (correctly or not) that suggested the UK was "one of" the least racist countries in the world.

He didn't say racism didn't exist in the UK.

The Asian woman that called him out as - and for being white, talking about racism; used race to belittle him, as she din't understand what he was saying. As you just did (third time lucky).

By *horecruxCouple
over a year ago

SE4

"For anyone that watched it last night, do you agree with that George the Poet guy . Although he didn't exactly say it outright you can tell he thinks that many of us Brits are hardwired to be Xenophobic and Racist . Or do you agree with an audience member last night who said " Britian is the most tolerant nation on Earth " ??"

Yes I do ... but tolerance only goes so far we are a island nation and we have had racial divid institutionalised in our society that's slowly beige unravelled and rebuilt but things like terror attacks set us back and keep people set in old ways

By *horecruxCouple
over a year ago

SE4

being*

over a year ago

Depends what you mean by “Britain”

As far as the law, health service, benefits system, politics and other public services are concerned, they are as tolerant as its likely possible to get (in such a way that their policies are all equal opportunities)

However, as a society, some people will always have an element of racism or xenophobia. But that’s nurture not nature. To put blanket statements on an entire population is just ridiculous

By *dontknowMan
over a year ago

North Devon

I think the Asian woman and me understood his point! But as soon as he started using league tables to prove that racism isn’t as prevelant in the uk it seems belittling to those who are still the victims of that racism.

I think he came across as saying ‘it’s not as bad as other countries so you should be happy’

over a year ago

We are a nation of apathetic intolerants

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

"I think the Asian woman and me understood his point! But as soon as he started using league tables to prove that racism isn’t as prevelant in the uk it seems belittling to those who are still the victims of that racism.

I think he came across as saying ‘it’s not as bad as other countries so you should be happy’"

He was still not saying racism didn't exist. It was only the Asian woman who brought whiteness into the debate.

League tables (if that is what he was using) are comparative statistics.

If we are to take your point. Then we shouldn't have tables on wellbeing, wealth, lifespan, crime re-offending, morbidity, homelessness - as people will fall into these categories.

If we cannot talk about Race - as it exists, especially if you are white and a man, then debate doesn't exist.

The tables exist to compare country v's country - on a very general basis. Countries change policy based on these statistics and people move countries based on these statistics.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

To add, nobody but George took offence when the guy that mattered; Claude, said 'we need to attract the best'. He is the man that would be hiring and firing, yet marginalising people wasn't rounded on as much as the audiences guy's comment.

By *dontknowMan
over a year ago

North Devon

I’m a mathematician / statistician by nature, so I’ve learnt in life how / why / when to use stats, but also the implications on others!

It’s easy to use stats and interpret them in a way to suit your argument, but in don’t nag that the likelihood is that other people won’t necessarily agree with you , that s the nature of averages. It’s easy to quote stats, but if that’s your only point it’s easy for you to seem that you don’t understand the wider context of the atguement and I think that’s what’s happened here! I’m now questioning whether the stat he was quoting was right or wrong, or even whether he was right to quote it, all all I’m saying is that he ‘appeared’ to quote the stat in a way that appeared implatory!

Here’s an example of my point - if you’ve got 4 people in a room, 2 will be ‘below’ average and 2 will be ‘above’ average, that’s just stats! However if you’re in the two that’s ‘below’ average, you’re likely to have an emotive response as you may not want to be told you’re ‘below’ average.

over a year ago

"

Here’s an example of my point - if you’ve got 4 people in a room, 2 will be ‘below’ average and 2 will be ‘above’ average, that’s just stats! However if you’re in the two that’s ‘below’ average, you’re likely to have an emotive response as you may not want to be told you’re ‘below’ average. "

No need to rub it in

over a year ago

"

Here’s an example of my point - if you’ve got 4 people in a room, 2 will be ‘below’ average and 2 will be ‘above’ average, that’s just stats! However if you’re in the two that’s ‘below’ average, you’re likely to have an emotive response as you may not want to be told you’re ‘below’ average.

No need to rub it in "

Bit harsh

over a year ago

"

No need to rub it in

Bit harsh"

Why tell the other 3 I’m so much better than them? They would already be feeling bad enough.

over a year ago

As the saying goes .. non politics or religion at the table... however....

I can’t understand how immigration causes and stirs so much “debate”.

Eg.. in Liverpool we have lots of Eastern European’s. generally they do jobs many residents wouldn’t consider, and they tend to be paid minimum wage. Why is it they are vilified for “taking our jobs”??

Also... anyone remember Aulf Weidersein Pet??

Narrow mindedness at its best

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

"

It’s easy to use stats and interpret them in a way to suit your argument,"

I agree. But here, she gave the idea that you cannot talk about race or racism unless you are non-white. That you cannot talk about race or racism as a man. This will extend to the gathering and use of any stats as; unless you are ethnic, there'd be bias or distaste for them... Because someday whites and men may use them in saying races/cultures are happier living in country A over B.

This is not how it works. The woman made a point but didn't understand his. If an ethnic woman would have said the same sentence as him, there wouldn't have been the same reaction.

Post new Message to Thread