Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Sign Language Question

Jump to newest

By *harpDressed Man OP   Man
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Jazz hands is apparently the official British Sign Language sign for applause.

Why is it necessary to have a sign for a hand gesture, and why wouldn't it just be the gesture itself?

What does hitting one's palms together repeatedly mean in Sign Language?

Do other hand gestures have Sign Language equivalents? "Middle" - "Finger", "V"-"Sign", "Onanist", etc

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rsTrellisWoman
over a year ago

Cambridge

Hi

A jazz hands gesture isn’t the sign FOR applause - it is applause. An audience raises both hands and shakes them at the end of a show.

If someone was signing about someone sticking their middle finger up, they would sign the gesture as it was done. But, they could instead sign “he swore at me” or “he was rude to me” without sticking the middle finger up.

Some signs are like pictures of the thing - so the sign for car looks like you’re miming steering. The sign for cat is a representation of whiskers on your face. Some signs are abstract. The sign for cheap is bringing together two pairs of fingers.

Some signs follow a pattern so signs about emotion are almost all signed on your chest. Signs made with your little finger tend to be bad things (wrong, sour, ill, poison, lie, swear). Signs with your thumb up tend to be good things (well, right, help, clever).

There are five imaginary “timelines” around your body. These allow you to indicate the passing of time. “A long time ago” or “everyday” or “next week”.

Sign language isn’t trying to be English. It has words and concepts we don’t have in English. The word-order is different. In English I’d say “what is your name?” In sign language I’d sign “name you what”. In English I’d say “absolutely huge fish”. In sign language I’d simply sign “fish” and inflate my cheeks and furrow my eyebrows to indicate that it was massive.

It’s a fascinating language.

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

"Hi

A jazz hands gesture isn’t the sign FOR applause - it is applause. An audience raises both hands and shakes them at the end of a show.

If someone was signing about someone sticking their middle finger up, they would sign the gesture as it was done. But, they could instead sign “he swore at me” or “he was rude to me” without sticking the middle finger up.

Some signs are like pictures of the thing - so the sign for car looks like you’re miming steering. The sign for cat is a representation of whiskers on your face. Some signs are abstract. The sign for cheap is bringing together two pairs of fingers.

Some signs follow a pattern so signs about emotion are almost all signed on your chest. Signs made with your little finger tend to be bad things (wrong, sour, ill, poison, lie, swear). Signs with your thumb up tend to be good things (well, right, help, clever).

There are five imaginary “timelines” around your body. These allow you to indicate the passing of time. “A long time ago” or “everyday” or “next week”.

Sign language isn’t trying to be English. It has words and concepts we don’t have in English. The word-order is different. In English I’d say “what is your name?” In sign language I’d sign “name you what”. In English I’d say “absolutely huge fish”. In sign language I’d simply sign “fish” and inflate my cheeks and furrow my eyebrows to indicate that it was massive.

It’s a fascinating language. "

A couple of friends studied sign language at uni....what people don’t realise like ‘normal’ language it has dialect and can vary from country to construct

I always love the sign for sorry and bullshit

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Jazz hands is apparently the official British Sign Language sign for applause.

Why is it necessary to have a sign for a hand gesture, and why wouldn't it just be the gesture itself?

"

When you clap to applaud those hearing around you can hear it.

Now if there are deaf people they won't be able to see your applaud unless in line of sight of your hands

They wouldn't know you were applauding. Jazz hands is a way for all to see your applauding the expression to applaud is to show how much you enjoy something. The more enthused the applaud to more you enjoy. Same with the jazz hands

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman
over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

I know a little BSL but am fluent in Makaton which has similarities.

I had one lady express "how rude" recently when my son signed he was going to the toilet!

Post new Message to Thread