Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What in the world are we doing?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Having sat down and watched the news on television the past few days (something I rarely do), I realised all we get these days is death, destruction, violence, stabbings, ‘alleged’ sexual abuse and I thought to myself, what kind of world are we creating?

But thinking more about it I personally concluded that the media, be it television news, radio, newspapers, internet or social media have a lot to answer for. None of this is new, it was around when I was a kid and well before that. Hell, my Headmaster was caught with the head girl in the library!

But the difference is, that it ‘might’ have made the local rag as a couple of lines unlike now in this minute by minute, hour by hour media coverage. It seems now, if Kate Middleton picked her nose, it would be headlines around the world before the tissue had been offered. So is the world a nastier more dangerous place now, or are we just force fed the details in all it’s glory too much? What do others think?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

There's plenty in history that's been reported on. There was a docu on I think the history channel about the fall of the Berlin Wall and how news was spread 'on the wires'. It was the fastest way reporters could get breaking news out and the way they could benefit from scoops. The first channel to report was usually the highest grossing.

BBC2 on Monday aired a programme about the 2008(7) financial crash and how the Bank of England purposely kept news of the £bn's needed out of the public domain for fear a run on the £, until it could be announced by Darling.

Reporting has taken many forms - Mellors sex games and slating homosexual politicians using rent boys, to recent inescapable social media use. I seem to remember Twitter use by someone in Iraq or Afghanistan Tweeting about helicopters flying overhead that cemented the app. People realised that you didn't need to be a news organisation to update the world.

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

You can choose not to read or watch the news. The media is very selective it what it drip feeds us and how it is presented.

The main aim is to keep people afraid, be it afraid if their neighbours, their neighbourhood, other areas of their own country, other counties, other people.

Choose to believe what you see with your own eyes, rather than what the media tells you to be true.

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

I think the same as the op on this one .

As a kid I rarely knew much about anything as the news didn’t really report too much in any detail .

The recent film and series about the Italians taking and demanding a ransom for Paul Getty was the first thing I really remember being reported on . I was about 12 I think , and I barely remembered much detail , but I do recall seeing the richest man on the planet saying if he paid up he would have 14 more grandchildren being taken . At school we had a discussion in class about it and the class was split between seeing his logic and seeing him as tight .

I would say that today we get every single detail magnified and rammed down our throats at every opportunity . But I guess we must want that , or the news channels wouldn’t exist ?

I dunno , the news seems really depressing these days , but it probably always was !

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

things are so bad im constantly peeping out of the blinds at the slightest noise outside.

police told me to get dressed.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

As far as this Russia thing. The UK ambassador was heaping a lot of praise of the Dutch forces for their swift action, though it sounded very much UK intelligence led to either gain the arrests or have the surveillance on them.

There is no way the public would be informed about any threat as you cannot account for mass panic. We are only really told once action has been taken.

If you think a year or two ago when May was presenting to the EU. When had cyber security been brought to the table? When had it really been an issue? I expect the UK this group under surveillance for a long time.

Post new Message to Thread