Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Gay 'Pride' melancholy

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I visited 'Pride' this year. Where i live. It was quite busy which was a surprise considering the amount of pushchairs i see everyday. Didn't expect to see many gay people.

There was music. ABBA songs, random opera music and Disney songs. A 60 year old man was dancing like a female backing dancer in a Beyonce music video. A mother nearby with her daughter eating a hotdog near a HIV testing tent laughed and said 'aww look at the funny man'. I sighed.

At the side of my eye i could see a lady approaching. She stopped and reached out her hands and handed me....a half empty bottle of Lambrusco. She said quietly 'this is for you' and then walked away. I looked at her again in the distance and she was winking. 'What do i do with this bottle now?' I asked myself near three gay students. They laughed and said 'how the fuck should we know. Piss off'. I replied sarcasticaly 'okay nice friendly gay people'

And after five hours it was finished. Urban Cookie Collective had played. Rainbow flags were all over the ground. I walked towards the bus stop and heard three females saying to themselves 'that was the best Pride ever'. I shook my head in disagreement.

On the bus, i drive past the people at Pride once more. They were smiling. But I asked myself quietly....'why am i not smiling?'

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My gay friends are much nicer people.

over a year ago

"My gay friends are much nicer people. "

As are mine

over a year ago

Gay people are for looking at. Straights have always done it. Hen night giggling women down the gay bars.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

On the plus side you got to hear the Urban Cookie Collective.

They used to blast that in Mr Byrites.

By *horecruxCouple
over a year ago

SE4

I had a beer ... what neighbourhood I can't remember what house

I can't remember

By *roticGoddessXXWoman
over a year ago

Richmond

I'd love to go to a Pride event.

I hate huge crowds of people, so London is out for me, and no one I know is willing to travel much.

My kids (one gay, one gay/trans) won't allow me to go with them!

I'd feel a bit pathetic going to a smaller event alone, a single middle aged straight woman.

Hope your next time is better.

By *horecruxCouple
over a year ago

SE4

"I'd love to go to a Pride event.

I hate huge crowds of people, so London is out for me, and no one I know is willing to travel much.

My kids (one gay, one gay/trans) won't allow me to go with them!

I'd feel a bit pathetic going to a smaller event alone, a single middle aged straight woman.

Hope your next time is better."

Go brighton plenty of middle aged straight wimmin

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

"I visited 'Pride' this year. Where i live. It was quite busy which was a surprise considering the amount of pushchairs i see everyday. Didn't expect to see many gay people.

There was music. ABBA songs, random opera music and Disney songs. A 60 year old man was dancing like a female backing dancer in a Beyonce music video. A mother nearby with her daughter eating a hotdog near a HIV testing tent laughed and said 'aww look at the funny man'. I sighed.

At the side of my eye i could see a lady approaching. She stopped and reached out her hands and handed me....a half empty bottle of Lambrusco. She said quietly 'this is for you' and then walked away. I looked at her again in the distance and she was winking. 'What do i do with this bottle now?' I asked myself near three gay students. They laughed and said 'how the fuck should we know. Piss off'. I replied sarcasticaly 'okay nice friendly gay people'

And after five hours it was finished. Urban Cookie Collective had played. Rainbow flags were all over the ground. I walked towards the bus stop and heard three females saying to themselves 'that was the best Pride ever'. I shook my head in disagreement.

On the bus, i drive past the people at Pride once more. They were smiling. But I asked myself quietly....'why am i not smiling?'"

So many straight people think it’s cool to attend these events . And yes , some just go to gawk at the gays and tranny’s , others to make themselves feel good .

The issue you seem to have is why you don’t feel like smiling about it . Perhaps you’re a bit cynical about it all . A genuine gay guy in a City which doesn’t really embrace you 364 days a year , yet has a gay pride once a year and everyone thinks gay is something to celebrate . But only for that one day huh ?

over a year ago

I’m looking forward to chapter two OP, hope things work out for the main character.

over a year ago

One of my freinds made this comment about the stoke one

‘I need to find another fucking scene’

An he’s ghey as a happy fairy riding a rainbow unicorn through a field of pink pansies drinking pink prosseco.

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

Consider your lifestyle hijacked ...for the day. To be fair though Pride is/was to build bridges, remove stigma etc, but original intent gets swamped. Maybe give it another chance, lower your expectations & use it as an opportunity to find out where the REAL party is!

over a year ago

"One of my freinds made this comment about the stoke one

An he’s ghey as a happy fairy riding a rainbow unicorn through a field of pink pansies drinking pink prosseco. "

Why do some people need a scene?

over a year ago

An he’s ghey as a happy fairy riding a rainbow unicorn through a field of pink pansies drinking pink prosseco.

Why do some people need a scene? "

Should of got him skinny jeans, slip on trainers and a skateboard really.

I’ve only ever been to a few and I’m never very comfortable at them to be honest.

By *ocbigMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

...asked the swinger ...

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Move to Brighton. Being gay or bi or trans here is no big deal.

over a year ago

Sounds like a standard night out in Sunderland to be honest....

By *iSTARessWoman
over a year ago

London

Having performed at various Pride events over the past 15 years, they have become a bit of a corporate, rainbow washed cash-in full of pissed straight girls running around screaming how much they love gay people and drag queens.

But still think they're important. Crimes against LGBT+ people are rife in the UK (nevermind the bullshit abroad). Not a week goes by without one of my pals being subjected to some kind of abuse. It might be a once a year and a bit naff but Pride shows homophobes and bigots we're excellent and not going anywhere

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"I visited 'Pride' this year. Where i live. It was quite busy which was a surprise considering the amount of pushchairs i see everyday. Didn't expect to see many gay people.

On the bus, i drive past the people at Pride once more. They were smiling. But I asked myself quietly....'why am i not smiling?'

So many straight people think it’s cool to attend these events . And yes , some just go to gawk at the gays and tranny’s , others to make themselves feel good .

The issue you seem to have is why you don’t feel like smiling about it . Perhaps you’re a bit cynical about it all . A genuine gay guy in a City which doesn’t really embrace you 364 days a year , yet has a gay pride once a year and everyone thinks gay is something to celebrate . But only for that one day huh ?

"

I don't think that's his issue at all.

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

I don't think that's his issue at all. "

What do you think it might be then ?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

I don't think that's his issue at all.

What do you think it might be then ? "

I don't think he has one, he just likes writing stories that go nowhere. Often about being gay.

over a year ago

Is this the same as when you like a band before everyone else does, then they become successful and you tell everyone I was there when they played to two men and a dog ?

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

"Is this the same as when you like a band before everyone else does, then they become successful and you tell everyone I was there when they played to two men and a dog ? "

I think it might be

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

OP

There's nowt as queer as folk.

over a year ago

"

Some straight people have gay friends who ask them to go with them.

By *ickygirl41Woman
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Having performed at various Pride events over the past 15 years, they have become a bit of a corporate, rainbow washed cash-in full of pissed straight girls running around screaming how much they love gay people and drag queens.

But still think they're important. Crimes against LGBT+ people are rife in the UK (nevermind the bullshit abroad). Not a week goes by without one of my pals being subjected to some kind of abuse. It might be a once a year and a bit naff but Pride shows homophobes and bigots we're excellent and not going anywhere "

This so much xxx

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

If the op was well written, I could see it being narrated in the voice of Alan Bennett....

over a year ago

Morph relied on the plaster scene

over a year ago

"If the op was well written, I could see it being narrated in the voice of Alan Bennett...."

Life is generally something that happens elsewhere.

over a year ago

Comments on all the straight people going to gay pride events???

How on earth can you tell who is gay who is not just by looking? unless they have a tshirt saying im straight?

Being gay, straight,bi, pansexual, heteexible etc etc

cant tell just by looking at a person. Rude to make assumptions about anyone

For any straight person to attend says one thing, they stand right with us and accept us for who we are and our sexualities

Im proud of anyone who will stand to say break the norms, break the stigma, peace and love for all

LGBTQ pride events is standing up and saying we all deserve love and families, we all deserve the right to be who were are. Showing the nation we won't hide and we wont back down but in a peaceful manner. Showing the world love.

Fly those flags what ever gender and sexuality you have.

Post new Message to Thread