Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

out of date food's

Jump to newest

By *ELLONS AND CREAM OP   Woman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

Be honest how often do you check the dates on your tinns, jars, packets in your store cupboards. ...

Go have a look see what you have ....

Now be honest ... will you throw it in the bin or think... itll be ok .....

I have a Christmas pudding that says march 2016 ... and I just cannot bring myself to bin it

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I have to do it weekly at work so it makes me super aware of my own things. I tend not to buy in bulk for that reason!

By *palWoman
over a year ago

The Bermuda Triangle in Suffolk

I had a cupboard clear out recently think the oldest dated back to 2015. Did the same with some old meds and handed them back to the pharmacy.

over a year ago

Rarely check tinned goods but apparently people have opened ones from 1940s and they were still edible. Stuff in the fridge I keep an eye on though you can't be too careful.

over a year ago

Yeah totally and I don’t stock up that much to leave things to go past the bbd or sbd I just get it as I go along

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

It's herbs and spices that go out of date by years in my house. I threw some out not so long ago!

over a year ago

I just threw away some dried beans that are a couple of months out of date. I usually keep my eye on my store cupboard and use up what's going out of date, but these were hiding out in the corner behind some polenta.

over a year ago

I use all my herbs and spices regularly, so they never go out of date.

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

I've never seen an out of date foof

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

Jars, packets, tins etc have a best before date. That means exactly why it says on the tin. The contents of the tin will be at their best if eaten before the date. They are still perfectly safe to eat many years after the date, the look and flavours will probably not be as good though.

As for fresh foods, they have a use by date and again it’s self explanatory. The foods must be used by that date, if they are eaten afterwards they may have gone off and may even have dangerously high levels of bacteria.

As for fresh fruit, veg and eggs........the stuff we pick from our allotment doesn’t come with a date on it and the eggs don’t come out of the chicken’s arse with a date stamped on them! Dates on them are pointless and contribute to the vast amount of food which gets wasted every day.

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

Almost forgot op, the Xmas pudding will just mature and get better tasting when it’s out of date. I always buy them and keep them in my cupboard for a couple of years, the flavour of new ones is crap!

over a year ago

"I've never seen an out of date foof "

Seen a few best before ones though

By *tirluvMan
over a year ago

the right frame of mind -London

Most foods can be eaten well beyond the sell by dates. If unsure smell it first. If it's rank, toss it. If it smells ok, do a tiny taste test (and I mean tiny)-if anytghing tastes even a little strange, bin it -the rest is edible. Even if it is a little off you can even then get away with eating it -just make sure you cook / stew it for a really long time at a high temperature (10 -12 hours +) -was once in Malawi and the only food we could get hold of was a chicken that was smelling rank and well past it in an unrefrigerated environment -we slow roasted it for 14 hours and all lived to tell the tale (but only after serious persuasion from a local guide who assured us that his method had served him well many times before).

By *Devil77Man
over a year ago

West Midlands

Usually just eat it anyway!

I do t throw it away unless it's gone green or it walks itself to the bin

By *uciyassMan
over a year ago

sheffield

"Be honest how often do you check the dates on your tinns, jars, packets in your store cupboards. ...

I have a Christmas pudding that says march 2016 ... and I just cannot bring myself to bin it "

If the pudding has alcohol in it it should be fine. Best before and out of date mean two very different things. Tinned foods while been up ok thier best before date are generally ok. ONCE the area where they are stored has been at an even and constant temperature If the tins get too hot they can spoil without even opening

over a year ago

"Be honest how often do you check the dates on your tinns, jars, packets in your store cupboards. ...

I have a Christmas pudding that says march 2016 ... and I just cannot bring myself to bin it "

Did you see that program on TV about sending the oldest out of date foods in your cupboards about 6 months ago? There were a fee items over 10 yrs. Any way they opened those still sealed and tested all of them. Not one showed anything close to making anyone seriously ill. Canned products are sealed in a can before they are cooked so are completely safe to eat decades later as was shown from tinned food dug up from ww2 and tested.

The things that are most concerning are items like 3 day old rice - possibly the one single item that causes more salmonella poisoning than anything else. Or chicken that's been defrosted then cooked then frozen to eat again.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I only pay attention to the stuff in the fridge the rest I care not about.

By *arnayguyMan
over a year ago

Durham Tees

[Removed by poster at 02/10/18 14:51:58]

By *andsome_Chef88Man
over a year ago

London/Milton Keynes

Everyday. If not I could go prison for a minimum of 5 years *sigh* life of a chef

By *arnayguyMan
over a year ago

Durham Tees

Get stuck in to it. I ate a 2016 pud a few weeks ago (see post) and it was lovely.

Are we having custard or brandy sauce with it?

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Cleared my freezer out on Sunday

By *ELLONS AND CREAM OP   Woman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

"Cleared my freezer out on Sunday "

I once bought a frozen lobster

Intending to make some cullinary delight with it.

Well , I never did and got quite attached to him ... I even called him larry .... after 4 years I decided it was time to say goodbye .....binned him .... poor larry .

By *an_LexaCouple
over a year ago

Sunderland

Haha husband and daughter are terrible for checking dates on EVERYTHING.

Me, I’ll eat anything. Look at it, sniff it, maybe hold my nose and swallow if necessary

Never come to any harm yet, just tends to add an extra flavour.

Post new Message to Thread