Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Large Hadron Collider, the small print

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Warning! Use of this particle accelerator may result in "a black hole could form, and then suck in everything around it," according to cosmologist Martin Rees. "The second scary possibility is that the quarks would reassemble themselves into compressed objects called strangelets."

"That in itself would be harmless. However under some hypotheses a strangelet could, by contagion, convert anything else it encounters into a new form of matter, transforming the entire earth in a hyperdense sphere about one hundred metres across."

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Well, that's interesting.

over a year ago

I think it's all lies to get huge sums of money for funding a giant candy floss machine.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 01/10/18 16:40:12]

over a year ago

Oh. I didn't read on.

"The third way that particle accelerators could destroy the Earth, according to Reese, is by a "catastrophe that engulfs space itself".

"Empty space - what physicists call the vacuum - is more than just nothingness. It is the arena for everything that happens. It has, latent in it, all the forces and particles that govern the physical world. The present vacuum could be fragile and unstable."

"Some have speculated that the concentrated energy created when particles crash together could trigger a 'phase transition' that would rip the fabric of space. This would be a cosmic calamity not just a terrestrial one.""

Well that doesn't sound quite as bad does it

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

I’m sure Professor Strumia will blame the women women scientists

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45703700

over a year ago

Maybe that's what the big bang was. Someone blowing up the previous collider.

over a year ago

"Maybe that's what the big bang was. Someone blowing up the previous collider. "

I think you may be onto something

over a year ago

"Warning! Use of this particle accelerator may result in "a black hole could form, and then suck in everything around it," according to cosmologist Martin Rees. "The second scary possibility is that the quarks would reassemble themselves into compressed objects called strangelets."

"That in itself would be harmless. However under some hypotheses a strangelet could, by contagion, convert anything else it encounters into a new form of matter, transforming the entire earth in a hyperdense sphere about one hundred metres across."

"

Best pull the plug out then.

over a year ago

How do they know this?

At one point In history, they said you would die if you travelled at 70mph. Until there is factual proof, I don't believe all I hear. Mind you, if there is any truth in it. Then it may be too late....

over a year ago

"Oh. I didn't read on.

The third way that particle accelerators could destroy the Earth, according to Reese, is by a "catastrophe that engulfs space itself".

"Empty space - what physicists call the vacuum - is more than just nothingness. It is the arena for everything that happens. It has, latent in it, all the forces and particles that govern the physical world. The present vacuum could be fragile and unstable."

"Some have speculated that the concentrated energy created when particles crash together could trigger a 'phase transition' that would rip the fabric of space. This would be a cosmic calamity not just a terrestrial one."

Well that doesn't sound quite as bad does it "

It will be over in a distinct lack of a flash then

over a year ago

"How do they know this?

At one point In history, they said you would die if you travelled at 70mph. Until there is factual proof, I don't believe all I hear. Mind you, if there is any truth in it. Then it may be too late...."

I was going to say... I'm not keen on the whole factual proof argument

over a year ago

Everything will be fine. Just keep going to your jobs.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"Warning! Use of this particle accelerator may result in "a black hole could form, and then suck in everything around it," according to cosmologist Martin Rees. "The second scary possibility is that the quarks would reassemble themselves into compressed objects called strangelets."

"

I don't believe in any of the human invented god stories either

I think it most counterproductive that certain humans who have links with Science speculate wildly and promote their imagination to the media

The speculative nonsense they spout discredits all the meticulous and diligent science that is conducted daily

It needs to be made crystal clear that just because

A person who practices or understands science (a scientist ) makes a statement or expresses their imagination or guesses , that statement is NOT science or scientific

Science is a method of validating, collecting , and understanding data to avoid humans being sold snake oil x

By *andonmessMan
over a year ago

A world all of his own

"transforming the entire earth in a hyperdense sphere about one hundred metres across."

"

On the upside, travelling to a meet would be less if and issue

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Got a guy on my hot list with the user name ‘ Large Hardon Collider’

By *andonmessMan
over a year ago

A world all of his own

"transforming the entire earth in a hyperdense sphere about one hundred metres across."

On the upside, travelling to a meet would be less if and issue "

Of an*

Fuck you phone, fuck you.

over a year ago

OP are you a time traveller? All this was news a few years ago for most of us, then they turned it on discovered particles and created lots of mini black holes and anti matter, and guess what.... yep the scare mongers were right the entire universe disappeared up it's own arsehole, and were extremely surprised to discover the God entity turned out to be a cuckoo clock....

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

Of an*

Duck you phone, duck you."

I hate it when it does that.

By *andonmessMan
over a year ago

A world all of his own

Of an*

Duck you phone, duck you.

"

It bloody put duck to begin with too! My phone hates me

over a year ago

"

this was news many years ago, and in fact nothing bad happened at all.

over a year ago

"

this was news many years ago, and in fact nothing bad happened at all. "

Well the God turning out to be a cuckoo clock thing was pretty bad... caused quite a lot of upset in the microsecond before we all blinked out of existence...

By *omfilthMan
over a year ago

Gloucester

"Maybe that's what the big bang was. Someone blowing up the previous collider.

I think you may be onto something "

And there it is, the more advanced lost civilisation!

over a year ago

Brian Cox dismissed the black hole story as complete bollocks.

By *horecruxCouple
over a year ago

SE4

[Removed by poster at 01/10/18 20:55:34]

By *horecruxCouple
over a year ago

SE4

"

Men on fab would still be like "I didn't even cum from that"

By *horecruxCouple
over a year ago

SE4

"Brian Cox dismissed the black hole story as complete bollocks. "

He's like you ... but a little bit more spacey

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

May contain nuts.

over a year ago

"Brian Cox dismissed the black hole story as complete bollocks.

He's like you ... but a little bit more spacey"

You mean he’s a top bloke ?

over a year ago

So let me get this straight, it could end life as we know it...

Well beats the PMs current BRExit plan...

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

"Oh. I didn't read on.

The third way that particle accelerators could destroy the Earth, according to Reese, is by a "catastrophe that engulfs space itself".

"Some have speculated that the concentrated energy created when particles crash together could trigger a 'phase transition' that would rip the fabric of space. This would be a cosmic calamity not just a terrestrial one."

Well that doesn't sound quite as bad does it

It will be over in a distinct lack of a flash then"

Other floor cleaning products are available of course!

over a year ago

"Got a guy on my hot list with the user name ‘ Large Hardon Collider’ "

I suggested that name to someone a few months ago

over a year ago

He's like you ... but a little bit more spacey"

I wanted to add a really inappropriate Kevin Spacey joke here.

over a year ago

"Brian Cox dismissed the black hole story as complete bollocks. "

Love Brian Cox. He was great in The Escapist. Great gritty actor. But he clearly knows fuck all about physics

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

Of an*

Fuck you phone, fuck you.

It bloody put fuck to begin with too! My phone hates me "

What do you mean?

It looks alright to me......

By *horecruxCouple
over a year ago

SE4

I wanted to add a really inappropriate Kevin Spacey joke here."

Well it can't be as inappropriate as prets baguettes

Totally to die for

over a year ago

I wanted to add a really inappropriate Kevin Spacey joke here.

Well it can't be as inappropriate as prets baguettes

Totally to die for "

Ah don't be like that

over a year ago

Just clarify this universe was formed from a black hole from another universe. That’s was proven via CERN and the LHC.

over a year ago

"Just clarify this universe was formed from a black hole from another universe. That’s was proven via CERN and the LHC. "

How exactly?

over a year ago

"Just clarify this universe was formed from a black hole from another universe. That’s was proven via CERN and the LHC.

How exactly? "

How did it happen or how have they proved it ?

over a year ago

"Just clarify this universe was formed from a black hole from another universe. That’s was proven via CERN and the LHC. "

No, it probably wasn't, and if it was there is no way to prove it.

over a year ago

"Just clarify this universe was formed from a black hole from another universe. That’s was proven via CERN and the LHC.

No, it probably wasn't, and if it was there is no way to prove it."

Er, it’s been proven. Conclusive proof, they’ve formulated the data and shown the results. Fascinating read. But they’ve yet to explain how the other universe started.

over a year ago

Er, it’s been proven. Conclusive proof, they’ve formulated the data and shown the results. Fascinating read. But they’ve yet to explain how the other universe started. "

Nope, they have not proven anything, instead they have created questions about previous theory, which there isn't yet an answer too.

By *heRealMrSBMan
over a year ago

Warrington

"I think it's all lies to get huge sums of money for funding a giant candy floss machine."

See now this I can get behind.

By *m389Man
over a year ago

Bromley

Any women up for a fuck before the Large hadron collider kills us?

over a year ago

No, it probably wasn't, and if it was there is no way to prove it."

Yes it was. There was a video on YouTube that they saw. And the interwebs never lies so there's your proof, lol.

By *c-ukMan
over a year ago

Sevenoaks

Its hard to listen to these scientists when all they talk about being sucked off into a big hairy black hole..

especially when you haven't had any for years.. Bastads !!! Bring it with your large hardon collider, lets all go out with one massive big bang !!

Probably be me who has to toss off on my own just to get it started for you guys...

over a year ago

You rephrased the words before taking them right out of my mouth, candy floss machine hahah tickled me, thanks

over a year ago

Mini black holes could be produced in the LHC, but all black holes dissipate due to Hawking radiation, and mini black holes would disappear almost instantaneously due to this phenomenon. You need a star-sized mass to produce a black hole that is fairly stable. We're hit all the time by cosmic rays with 1000s of times more energy than is produced in the LHC - which is only equal to the kinetic energy of 10 mosquitoes. Global warming and nuclear war seem more likely threats than CERN.

over a year ago

"How do they know this?

At one point In history, they said you would die if you travelled at 70mph. Until there is factual proof, I don't believe all I hear. Mind you, if there is any truth in it. Then it may be too late...."

over a year ago

"How do they know this?

At one point In history, they said you would die if you travelled at 70mph. Until there is factual proof, I don't believe all I hear. Mind you, if there is any truth in it. Then it may be too late....

"

it's to early to even try understanding all this haha

By *idlandiaMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”

D Adams

over a year ago

When they set the first atomic bomb off, they werent sure if the nuclear reaction would stop at all and not end up destroying everything. So it’s not the first time.

By *ddit...Man
over a year ago

Land of the giants... ;-)

"

Tbf. ... if there's no risk.. there's no fun..

over a year ago

Er, it’s been proven. Conclusive proof, they’ve formulated the data and shown the results. Fascinating read. But they’ve yet to explain how the other universe started.

Nope, they have not proven anything, instead they have created questions about previous theory, which there isn't yet an answer too."

You need to read the papers dude, it’s all there in black and white.

over a year ago

Are we here just to acknowledge the universe’s existence, otherwise there would be no one to see it and therefore it would be totally pointless ?!

Post new Message to Thread