Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

newspapers'

Jump to newest

By *ixson-Balls OP   Man
over a year ago

Blackpool

Only being a part-time contributor to these forums, and therefore not judging anyone but...

I have noticed that it seems most people are strongly opposed to the "The Mail" or "The Suns" opinions.

The irony being that these two papers are the most commonly/popularly bought in the country on a daily basis, albeit the demise of the NOTW..

so forumites what paper do you buy or read??

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

i tend to read the Daily Mail but only after my grandparents have finished reading it.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

I can't remember the last time I bought a newspaper

I mostly look online at the news now

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

i dont read any

i work in the newspaper industry, see enough of them at work,

Dont worry i am not a journo, i just deliver the damn things

over a year ago

I stopped reading national daily newspapers since I discovered the online “ Huffington Post UK Edition “… which covers most of my requirments.

I still take my local evening paper, and when travelling I enjoy reading whatever the local paper is to the area I’m in…

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

The Yorkshire Post, not to be confused with the YEP.

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

"The Yorkshire Post, not to be confused with the YEP. "

they both the same company, i dont work for them

over a year ago

always read the local paper, nothing like reading about your city, good or bad strangely!

one paper i avoid like the plague (and if i see one in work it goes straight in the bin, even if someone is reading it at the time!) is the fucking horrible bastard s*n rag, dirty stinking rottining lying cheeky fuckwit waste of paper.

over a year ago

I read the Grauniad and Private Eye. The. eye has fantastic (if vitriolic) investigative journalism in it's 'in the back section'

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

must be over 20 years since i bought a newspaper. sometimes have a look at jays telegraph and thats it

over a year ago

I also notice those who do slag off the Mail/Sun, don't actually say what they think we should read, as they know what many of us will think about that paper...

Tends to be the Guardian readers who have this chip on their shoulders. I read the Mail, but I also know how to 'read The Mail', which is a difference

Thank goodness for the internet and can easily get a few different prospectives of any stories

over a year ago

got an app on chrome for the Independent and read the i

By *ENDAROOSCouple
over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

Don't buy or have any interest in reading newspapers.

Will have a quick flick through the local one that comes through the door but that's it.

over a year ago

"I also notice those who do slag off the Mail/Sun, don't actually say what they think we should read, as they know what many of us will think about that paper...

Tends to be the Guardian readers who have this chip on their shoulders. I read the Mail, but I also know how to 'read The Mail', which is a difference

Thank goodness for the internet and can easily get a few different prospectives of any stories "

I am one with the aforementioned 'chip'...and I wouldn't read The Mail or The Sun, but I guess that's down to my politics. I hate a biased report and therefore tend to read online news for a varied perspective.

Would never try to tell others what I think they should read though.

over a year ago

If I happen to travel on the bus i'll read the metro. But apart from that i'm a big fan of the viz even though the price has went through the roof in the last ten years.

over a year ago

Private eye is a must read for anyone with a brain wanting to know whats really going on in the UK and about politics and the hypocracy by the media. as it takes a pop at all newspapers/comics.

The Times on a sunday used to be a great read now its shallow and very poor journalism.

I get the guardian/granuaid on a saturday for the guide and sport pull outs as really good/well the guide used to be better.

As for daily red tops they are only useful for toilet paper, and the mail/express/torygraph are just sensationalist and very poor scaremongering and yes occasionally have a scoop but very very occasionally!!

oh yeah and Viz is still brilliant!!

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

"The Yorkshire Post, not to be confused with the YEP.

they both the same company, i dont work for them"

Same company, totally different newspapers though.

over a year ago

"

As for daily red tops they are only useful for toilet paper, and the mail/express/torygraph are just sensationalist and very poor scaremongering and yes occasionally have a scoop but very very occasionally!!

"

+1

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I also notice those who do slag off the Mail/Sun, don't actually say what they think we should read, as they know what many of us will think about that paper...

Thank goodness for the internet and can easily get a few different prospectives of any stories "

the reason they are slagged off is by and large they are to journalism what x factor is to culture..

both have a following yes, bit like saying lots of people smoke so it must be ok tbh..

used to read the gruniard, still buy the eye now and then..

daily hell and the murdoch rags have over the years been found to be biased, lying pieces of rubbish..

its not journalism to hack phones or computers, 'black mail' people or just make stuff up..

only about sales and a part of that industry out of control..

and btw i dont have and never have had a chip on my shoulder ty..

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

"i dont read any

Dont worry i am not a journo, i just deliver the damn things"

Big up to Leigh, the oldest paperboy in the land

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

"i dont read any

Dont worry i am not a journo, i just deliver the damn things

Big up to Leigh, the oldest paperboy in the land "

nah i deliver them to the distributer and many older than me do it

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

i understand why Ste Blu does not and will not read the Sun and refuses to mention it by name, its to do with the coverage of the Hillsborough disaster.

over a year ago

Aye, that and the fact that it's a shit rag. Prejudiced, racist hatefull rubish....very much what ud expect from the dirty digger....

over a year ago

scotsman for me , very informative has a lot to read in there some i agree with some i dont . cant get that i go for the herald . the looks you get on trains are funny .

By *ixson-Balls OP   Man
over a year ago

Blackpool

thanks chaps/chapesses for your _iews..

i myself do not buy a paper but rely (as others have stated) on other forms ie t'internet, bbc news, sky news...but even these media have a somewhat bias slant depending on their political leaning...

so by listening to various news organizations i make my own decision

i don't suppose there is a really unbiased news coverage, but I must admit to finding al jezeera uk news very good

over a year ago

"i understand why Ste Blu does not and will not read the Sun and refuses to mention it by name, its to do with the coverage of the Hillsborough disaster."

100% on the money there my friend.

over a year ago

"thanks chaps/chapesses for your _iews..

i myself do not buy a paper but rely (as others have stated) on other forms ie t'internet, bbc news, sky news...but even these media have a somewhat bias slant depending on their political leaning...

so by listening to various news organizations i make my own decision

i don't suppose there is a really unbiased news coverage, but I must admit to finding al jezeera uk

news very good"

I have never watched al jazeera, despite being tempted on occasion. I may just give it a whir tonight......

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Don`t buy any daillies, waste of money! I don`t mind getting The Blackmore Vale which is a weekly free paper and I do like a gander at the Western Gazetten which is a regional weekly and usually has farm sales (auctions) in the area listed.

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

I buy i or occasionally the Grauniad. Private Eye is hilarious and well worth reading.

Our local rag is a bag of shite.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

I have never watched al jazeera, despite being tempted on occasion. I may just give it a whir tonight......"

actually for their coverage of the "arab spring" I thought it was fantastic....

since i am more american lets just say i have always watched a lot more "msnbc" than i have "fox news"...

as for publications here... well as someone else said online, the huffington post... the guardian and the independent...

my problem with the mail and express' of this world is they tend to scare monger and cater to there own niche world _iew... and it isn't one that I really see or feel any affinty for.....

over a year ago

The mail historically has it's routes in the extreme right. Enough said. The Sun is sensationalist scaremongering bollox. Enough said.

I wouldn't tell anyoine what to read.

By *obletonMan
over a year ago

THE STICKS

I love the Daily Mail - if I ever wake up in the morning feeling angry and I'm not sure which ethnic or social group I need to hate or who I just need to generally look down on that day, The Mail is sure to tell me - and it won't tax my brain with any long words.

It's also a great barometer for when the extreme Right Wing it represents are running scared - I remember a month or so back when every other newspaper headline that day was about how in every possible metric, the government's economic policy was failing - the best headline The Mail could come up with was some dredged up 3 year old story about some shady deal an old Labour minister did - talk about jangling keys in front of a baby lol!

On the flipside I feckin hate the Guardian with almost equal passion - y, right-on, mealy mouthed liberal shite - spare me please!!!!

I like to check numerous news sources - the truth is usually somewhere inbetween.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I don't read any of them... wouldn't waste my time.

as for the tabloids, you reap what you sow. You want the sordid gossip, you drive the behaviours of the pack to get the story.

over a year ago

Its rare i do buy one but it would tend to be the mail or express

over a year ago

A free press is vital.

Of course society can put in a press regulator, just as there are rules made to try and keep things fair and square.

If anyone thinks that any of the media is lying, feel free to complain.

Views and opinions are just that, hugs to all.

over a year ago

Daily express and daily mail.

By *eanne n AliCouple
over a year ago

glasgow

Dont buy or read any newspapers, wouldnt believe the date in any of them

over a year ago

The metro but only after the 1st 1000 people have read it and coverd it in coffee

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

How do you feel about perspective?

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

The i if i am out,private eye ,but i get most of my news online.Another huffpo fan here.

By *ansue35Couple
over a year ago

yorkshire

"Only being a part-time contributor to these forums, and therefore not judging anyone but...

I have noticed that it seems most people are strongly opposed to the "The Mail" or "The Suns" opinions.

The irony being that these two papers are the most commonly/popularly bought in the country on a daily basis, albeit the demise of the NOTW..

so forumites what paper do you buy or read??"

We have to buy something to light the fire with

By *un_JuiceCouple
over a year ago

Nr Chester

Brian Gerrish - UK Column

By *irlnextdoorWoman
over a year ago

brighton

"

I am one with the aforementioned 'chip'...and I wouldn't read The Mail or The Sun, but I guess that's down to my politics. I hate a biased report and therefore tend to read online news for a varied perspective.

Would never try to tell others what I think they should read though."

+1

I read the Independent for their backgrounds and analysis and the Guardian for regular news stories.

Sometimes I can't resist to grab the Sun for a little bit of guilty pleasure but don't rate the content any more truthful than when I would read Hansel and Gretel.

But hey, each to their own.

over a year ago

When im in the mood the guardian or the Gelegraph

Daily mail sometimes

But mainly the sun cause i loves comics xx

By *toneblueMan
over a year ago

Southampton

Hmm, perhaps it would be helpful to filter based on what 'paper is preferred, might prevent some incompatibility issues...

over a year ago

"Hmm, perhaps it would be helpful to filter based on what 'paper is preferred, might prevent some incompatibility issues... "

My solo profile did for a while state something along the lines of "if you read the sun and think eastenders and x-factor represent culture then we probably won't get along"

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

The Independent.....

over a year ago

I get the feeling sun readers are perceived as ........... lol

Funny i was reading it before i got the letters after my name xx

By *ixson-Balls OP   Man
over a year ago

Blackpool

"

But mainly the sun cause i loves comics xx "

reminds me of a general election a few years ago now...and there was a candidate who stood for the "reclassify the sun as a comic " party....

think he beat the liberals in his constituency !!!

over a year ago

Private Eye for me. If I was forced to take a daily newspaper I would take The Independent or The Guardian but I'd have to be forced. TPreferable to squalid little rags like The Sun and The Daily Mail, but only at a pinch and (contd.p94)

By *ittlemorespiceCouple
over a year ago

North Cornwall

The Independent occasionally but mostly get my news from tv, phone, radio and internet.

over a year ago

Don't read newspapers but am a bugger for gossip magazines

over a year ago

Black Flag anyone?

over a year ago

sll depends on what is laying around the canteen, mainly the sun, mirror, mail or daily star

By *acreadCouple
over a year ago

central scotland

Daily newspapers certainly took a nosedive when the Sun came into being and thats when I stopped buying them.

It doesnt matter what world disasters or what casualties arise from Afghanistan the most important news on the front page of the Sun is more often than not what is happening on the X factor.

All Rupert Murdochs papers should have been wiped out not just the NotW

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

"Hmm, perhaps it would be helpful to filter based on what 'paper is preferred, might prevent some incompatibility issues...

My solo profile did for a while state something along the lines of "if you read the sun and think eastenders and x-factor represent culture then we probably won't get along""

ohhh i want to steal that

over a year ago

"Hmm, perhaps it would be helpful to filter based on what 'paper is preferred, might prevent some incompatibility issues...

My solo profile did for a while state something along the lines of "if you read the sun and think eastenders and x-factor represent culture then we probably won't get along"

ohhh i want to steal that

"

blimey, u don't ask fer much do ya? Read and think is already a lot to ask.

over a year ago

"I can't remember the last time I bought a newspaper

I mostly look online at the news now"

ditto that, has added advantage of comparing different accounts so can be quite entertaining. (yawns) what no yawn smiley!!! oh this'll do

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

"Only being a part-time contributor to these forums, and therefore not judging anyone but...

so forumites what paper do you buy or read??"

Guardian online, Journal online, bits of the FT, Western Mail for some sport, Torygraph for some sport, LRB for intellectual stimulation, Sunday Sun when Jem sends me links to bits of fuckwittery....

Used to read the Times for Law Reports but now get most of what I need from subscription services and BAILII....

Oh, and the Sun is shit written by people content to lie for profit, and the Daily Mail is the home of hypocrisy, with front page rants against evil paedos and page 7 featuring up skirt shots of teenage actresses....

over a year ago

"Private Eye for me. If I was forced to take a daily newspaper I would take The Independent or The Guardian but I'd have to be forced. TPreferable to squalid little rags like The Sun and The Daily Mail, but only at a pinch and (contd.p94)

"

Dear sir, hows your organ?

Yours

Fell Oprha Vitiereadah

Post new Message to Thread