Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

housing crisis.

Jump to newest

By *good-being-bad OP   Man
over a year ago

mis-types and auto corrects leads cock leeds

A program starting on itv shortly about housing ...apparently 1 in 5 households are now renting.

I'd have thought there was a significantly higher proportion renting housing in the post war years of the 50's 60's 70's.

Is there a crisis if folk are in housing?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *an_LexaCouple
over a year ago

Sunderland

I think a lot more of the younger generation don’t own anything these days. It’s not necessarily a bad thing. Nothing can be taken from them in reality because they don’t own it.

They rent their homes, phones are on contracts, expensive cars on lease. They always want the next top model of everything so to speak.

As I say I’m not sure it’s necessarily a bad way to live, just very different from how I was brought up to save for and aim to own your own everything.

Lex

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"A program starting on itv shortly about housing ...apparently 1 in 5 households are now renting.

I'd have thought there was a significantly higher proportion renting housing in the post war years of the 50's 60's 70's.

"

There is if people aren’t able to sustain rents and accruing shortfall. For example, in London many people are becoming homeless as they are on for sake of an example, possibly a zero hours contract and aren’t guaranteed a definite amount coming in as aren’t guaranteed hours, or issues where Local Housing Allowance doesn’t match rent amounts and so any legitimate period of time when needing to claim benefits the rent amount can’t be covered.

By *entadreadMan
over a year ago

Essex

Very soon, even rent will no longer be affordable as demand will soon outstrip supply. Landlords are busy rubbing their hands...

over a year ago

"A program starting on itv shortly about housing ...apparently 1 in 5 households are now renting.

There is if people aren’t able to sustain rents and accruing shortfall. For example, in London many people are becoming homeless as they are on for sake of an example, possibly a zero hours contract and aren’t guaranteed a definite amount coming in as aren’t guaranteed hours, or issues where Local Housing Allowance doesn’t match rent amounts and so any legitimate period of time when needing to claim benefits the rent amount can’t be covered. "

I'm not watching the program..the synopsis I'd read seemed to say the cost of ownership was now out of reach of a lot of folk..

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

There is if people aren’t able to sustain rents and accruing shortfall. For example, in London many people are becoming homeless as they are on for sake of an example, possibly a zero hours contract and aren’t guaranteed a definite amount coming in as aren’t guaranteed hours, or issues where Local Housing Allowance doesn’t match rent amounts and so any legitimate period of time when needing to claim benefits the rent amount can’t be covered. "

Move from London then

By *an_LexaCouple
over a year ago

Sunderland

They can look to apply to their local authority for discretionary housing payments

over a year ago

There is if people aren’t able to sustain rents and accruing shortfall. For example, in London many people are becoming homeless as they are on for sake of an example, possibly a zero hours contract and aren’t guaranteed a definite amount coming in as aren’t guaranteed hours, or issues where Local Housing Allowance doesn’t match rent amounts and so any legitimate period of time when needing to claim benefits the rent amount can’t be covered.

Move from London then "

I work in homelessness in London. I’m not talking about me.

over a year ago

They can look to apply to their local authority for discretionary housing payments "

Yes, but it’s not a guarantee not long term sustainable. But yes. I was just answering the question though as an example of how someone in housing could still be in crisis.

over a year ago

I'm not watching the program..the synopsis I'd read seemed to say the cost of ownership was now out of reach of a lot of folk.. "

Perhaps I misunderstood your specific query, still there’s a lot of issues with housing policy!

over a year ago

Move from London then "

They'll all move to Ashby de la douche and push up the property prices there too. They'll bring their kids with them so your schools will have to expand. And there'll be plenty of jobs going for them all too I imagine.

How long do you have to wait to see your gp?

over a year ago

Move from London then

They'll all move to Ashby de la douche and push up the property prices there too. They'll bring their kids with them so your schools will have to expand. And there'll be plenty of jobs going for them all too I imagine.

How long do you have to wait to see your gp?"

I typed zouch!

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
over a year ago

nearby

i think you meant 1 in 5 rent privately.

37% of households are rented; 20% private and 17% social. Home ownership has been in decline since 2001

over a year ago

"i think you meant 1 in 5 rent privately.

37% of households are rented; 20% private and 17% social. Home ownership has been in decline since 2001"

I'll go with your figures ..I only read the synopsis of the program.. I thought it a strange title 'crisis' if folk were in housing or a poor title if it was more about.. not being able to afford to buy to my mind crisis would be I didn't have a roof over my head

over a year ago

I haven't seen the show but I'm going to be controversial before the millennial and 'snowflake generation' bashing happens...

It might be the babyboomers or the older generation blocking houses and not downsizing. Owning multiple houses but only living in one. Having holiday homes but only using them one week of the year.

Then there's the argument "well it's my money I can do what I want with it!" and "I earned this house and I don't have to move or downsize!" or "I bought this house in 1965 and I've no intention of moving even though it's now worth £650k!" etc.

People blocking houses, yes. Houses too expensive, yes. Cheaper houses too far away from where you work and the cost of the commute canceling out any savings you may make, yes. The government not really doing anything about it, yes.

Not really any right answer here.

over a year ago

"Very soon, even rent will no longer be affordable as demand will soon outstrip supply. Landlords are busy rubbing their hands... "

Not if the houses going up round us are anything to go by, 3 roads out of my village and 4 massive estates going up on them. All the villages will join up soon.

over a year ago

"I haven't seen the show but I'm going to be controversial before the millennial and 'snowflake generation' bashing happens...

It might be the babyboomers or the older generation blocking houses and not downsizing. Owning multiple houses but only living in one. Having holiday homes but only using them one week of the year.

Then there's the argument "well it's my money I can do what I want with it!" and "I earned this house and I don't have to move or downsize!" or "I bought this house in 1965 and I've no intention of moving even though it's now worth £650k!" etc.

People blocking houses, yes. Houses too expensive, yes. Cheaper houses too far away from where you work and the cost of the commute canceling out any savings you may make, yes. The government not really doing anything about it, yes.

Not really any right answer here."

Nail on the head right here.

For a quick comparison of the two generations.

My parents own 5 houses....

And we had to put a deposit down of 16% to buy our first house......now call the average price for a semi detached house about £225k, that’s a £36k deposit.

The above is why we had to buy a fucked terraced house that we did up ourselves to get started on the ladder.

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Try checking the Shelter web site.

Current estimates are that one additional family becomes homeless every 17 seconds. Many are in work and are still dependant on benefits due to the low salaries and high housing cost. Many are made homeless because they are on shorthold tendencies. Many are evicted to allow landlords to increase rents or flip properties to maximise profits. Many don't even qualify as homeless, usually single males, sofa surfers, etc.

The problem is not just restricted to London. This is a UK wide shambles and as winter approaches so will the numbers dying on the streets, just like every year...

over a year ago

"I haven't seen the show but I'm going to be controversial before the millennial and 'snowflake generation' bashing happens...

And we had to put a deposit down of 16% to buy our first house......now call the average price for a semi detached house about £225k, that’s a £36k deposit.

The above is why we had to buy a fucked terraced house that we did up ourselves to get started on the ladder. "

The average person wants a house they can live in and not do up and rent out.

over a year ago

The above is why we had to buy a fucked terraced house that we did up ourselves to get started on the ladder.

The average person wants a house they can live in and not do up and rent out. "

Have you missed the point here or something?

The average person these days, my generation if you will. Struggle because the supply is clogged up with multiple houses owned by the older generation who were able to get a mortgage at the drop of a hat and next to no deposit. Which then in turn makes those houses only available for private rent.

We bought ours at 21 to do up and live in, because we couldn’t afford the deposit on much else. Anything that was finished was well out of our budget.

Post new Message to Thread