Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Christmas present wrapping

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Do you make lots of effort with your wrappings for presents, or a bit of cheap paper and sellotape and your present is done.

I have to admit to being a christmas wrapping paper and card snob. I elaborately wrap and decorate my presents with an assortment of bows, ribbon and glitter.

The paper has to be quality and not be heavily patterned with father christmas or teddy bears but a good quality classy cream with gold leaf. I only use gift bags if its difficult to wrap, I prefer a nice boxy shape to festoon with ribbons and bows. I like to use christmas confetti inside the present too. I do this for every present, even if its a pair of socks. I feel a gorgeous wrapped present is as exciting as the gift itself and its so much nicer to receive something which looks so pretty.

What about the guys, do you go to a lot of trouble, get your mum to wrap them, or quickly shove a bit of paper round a gift. I haven't ever received a present from a man which was beautifully gift wrapped (unless it was wrapped in a store by someone else). But then I'm grateful I've received a present and thought has gone into it, but its bothers me if I haven't given a present wrapped in the way I like.

I put my obsession down to having newsagents as parents and being a delicate girly

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Christmas present wrapping for the special lady in life?

Durex.

Other brands are available ( though i draw the line at Jo ).

For a free trial please pm.....

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Seriously, quality paper for the special gifts.

Cheap colourful "boxing day sale" tat for others, provided you cant see through it.

I know folks who carefully unwrap and even iron the good stuff for use next year, anyone else?

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

No i dont go to lots of trouble, its commercialized enough without me adding to it spending a fortune on ribbons and bows. Ive given two presents out so far this year and neither of them where wrapped but they where in nice bags from the shop

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

I try my best at neat wrapping but tend to end up using too much paper and sellotape and no matter how good the paper is, there`s always a corner poking through somewhere Don`t do the bows and stuff as I think that`s a waste. I did do a cracker shape one for a very good friend last year. It was a jokey present as she doesn`t do Christmas so I stuffed a load of those individual drinking chocolate sachets in a kitchen roll centre and wrapped that!

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Tip : for wrapping large triangular bars of Toblerone.

If the overhang at each end is percisely the correct size, it folds easily into a triangle to match the end.

Now, anyone know any tips to make a good job of wrapping rectangular objects?

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I'm a nightmare with it. In fact, usually my wife insists on doing it. I've been seen trying to stretch paper to cover an awkward gap, using brown tape to cover gaps at one end, using 2 different types of paper when one isn't enough, using birthday paper on the grounds that it was open....

I'm also a bugger for stunt wrapping my mate's present. I like to wrap something the size of a stamp in a huge box with 2 bricks at the bottom or a zillion layers of paper over it.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I try and be creative with my wrapping but this year I have not been the best at planning and everything is last minute. I am trying to think of creative things to give people at short notice.

I love christmas there is just something so special about it however to some its the most heartbreking time of year.. However back to the subject of wrapping I do try...

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

im deffo creative with my wrapping and it all as to be coloured co-ordinated ,mum and dad have white this yr lots of bows glitter and my daughter as black ,love wrapping spend hours doing it all...and dad brought mums pressies down for me to do....

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I don't often buy ribbons and bows from shops now, but tend to get the offcuts of ribbon from a sewing stall in my local market and I'm a dab hand at tying bows. I tend to use craft materials like jewels to make a flower shape. I don't tend to go for shop made things.

Its about making things look different for me.

over a year ago

The ends have to be uniform and perfectly folded and I usually find the straight edges on a box by sticking the first fold of the wrapping paper to it so that when I fold the present over it remains uniform with the pattern. For awkward objects I can usually get them wrapped uo so they look pretty good but I feckin hate it when you're almost finished and the paper tears and I gotta start all over.

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Folding the each long edges under first by say 10mm leads to a neater job too.

oooh, a christmas wrapping brazilian.

over a year ago

i hate wrapping presents, but i do wrap them in decent-ish wrapping paper (sainsburys 3 for 2)

i dont put name tags on them as i use the same wrapping paper for one persons gifts, and a different wrapping paper for another persons.

i do have to make sure its wrapped neatly though, all edges are crisp.

over a year ago

Get mine done in work by a PA (not my PA, I don't have one) she does present wrapping for charity every year. I buy the paper and it costs me £2-£4 a present. They would be just a mass of paper and tape were I to try to wrap them

Post new Message to Thread