Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

53 Ways to improve Motorway driving.

Jump to newest

By *ushroom7 OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

1. Big powerful magnets on each bridge footings. Linked to my PC by CCTV with a big green button.

That should cure some middle lane hogs.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oodnvampCouple
over a year ago

beverley

Get rid of the middle lane, have a big trench instead! lol

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Provide designated days and times for caravans to be towed

over a year ago

Tell you what the drive down M1 today was scary at one point , this guy in a huge car dont ask me make it had 4 wheels weaving over 2 lanes kept breaking when no need , I admit I sped up to get past him he was in middle lane doing 60 and when I went past him he was yawning his head off . Not often I am scared on motorway but he managed it .

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

"

1. Big powerful magnets on each bridge footings. Linked to my PC by CCTV with a big green button.

That should cure some middle lane hogs. "

I drive for a living working nights. would love a middle lane hog dissapear button on my dash i see it often, on completely empty motorways, some pratt in the middle lane doing 50,

unfortunatly its not an offence, although the highwya code says you should keep left, it does not say 'you must keep left' that would make it an offence, about time it was changed IMO

Anotehr one i hate is those who think front fog lights are driving lights and have them on in perfectly fine visibility, thats another one that needs sorting and soon

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"

I drive for a living working nights. would love a middle lane hog dissapear button on my dash i see it often, on completely empty motorways, some pratt in the middle lane doing 50,

unfortunatly its not an offence, although the highwya code says you should keep left, it does not say 'you must keep left' that would make it an offence, about time it was changed IMO

Anotehr one i hate is those who think front fog lights are driving lights and have them on in perfectly fine visibility, thats another one that needs sorting and soon

"

Fog lights - For vehicles fitted with front fog lights (rear fog lights are also included), it is an offence to illuminate them unless visibility is seriously reduced, which is defined as driving in rain, snow or fog with visibility less than 100 metres. Fog lights cause dazzle to other drivers and can attract a £30 Fixed Penalty Notice.

over a year ago

"Tell you what the drive down M1 today was scary at one point , this guy in a huge car dont ask me make it had 4 wheels weaving over 2 lanes kept breaking when no need , I admit I sped up to get past him he was in middle lane doing 60 and when I went past him he was yawning his head off . Not often I am scared on motorway but he managed it ."

Provide designated days and times for Just to be allowed out

over a year ago

"Tell you what the drive down M1 today was scary at one point , this guy in a huge car dont ask me make it had 4 wheels weaving over 2 lanes kept breaking when no need , I admit I sped up to get past him he was in middle lane doing 60 and when I went past him he was yawning his head off . Not often I am scared on motorway but he managed it .

Provide designated days and times for Just to be allowed out "

Oi you I am a good driver so long as I am going forward

over a year ago

"Tell you what the drive down M1 today was scary at one point , this guy in a huge car dont ask me make it had 4 wheels weaving over 2 lanes kept breaking when no need , I admit I sped up to get past him he was in middle lane doing 60 and when I went past him he was yawning his head off . Not often I am scared on motorway but he managed it .

Oi you I am a good driver so long as I am going forward "

who mentioned driving ?

i meant 'allowed out' in general

By *ushroom7 OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"

Fog lights - For vehicles fitted with front fog lights (rear fog lights are also included), it is an offence to illuminate them unless visibility is seriously reduced, which is defined as driving in rain, snow or fog with visibility less than 100 metres. Fog lights cause dazzle to other drivers and can attract a £30 Fixed Penalty Notice.

"

kin 'eck, my garage is only 7 metres long, should i be using fog lights every time i garage my car?

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

"

"

I know that you know that its a shame some do not, and it does not seem to be enforced,

By *oodnvampCouple
over a year ago

beverley

Fog lights are an absolute nightmare!Cars would be better off without them at all for how much they're actually needed to how much they're misused.

People put em on when there's the merest hint of low cloud and leave em on for a week afterwards!

Pet hate! Rant over!

over a year ago

Ban those bulbs that make it look like idiots gotheir full beam on, seems to be on new vehicles, blinded the hell out of me

over a year ago

stop lorries overtaking other lorries just because they are going 1,000,000th of a mile an hour faster & take 2 hours to get past ..... that would help free up the middle lane too

over a year ago

yellow lights work better in fog than the white lights we all use IMO

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

"Ban those bulbs that make it look like idiots gotheir full beam on, seems to be on new vehicles, blinded the hell out of me "

think you are meaning the HID lamps, theres a major issue with this, on vehicles designed for them they should be fine, as the headlight is designed for them,

the problem comes in that there are retrofit kits to install them on almost any car available fairly cheaply on ebay,

a vehicle taken for MOT with one of these kits fitted should fail its MOT, as to have HID the headlamp unit ahs to be designed for them, have a clear lense, be self adjusting and have a headlight washer system fitted, if not it does not meet type approval regs.

Again not enforced

over a year ago

Oi you I am a good driver so long as I am going forward

who mentioned driving ?

i meant 'allowed out' in general "

I will have you know I am a good girl ask anyone that met me last night hmmm on second thoughts best not

over a year ago

"Provide designated days and times for caravans to be towed "

Between 2 and 4 in the morning on one Sunday a month

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

Oh I have a better idea

Caravans are allowed to be towed, between 11pm and 4 am October to March

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

"Provide designated days and times for caravans to be towed

Between 2 and 4 in the morning on one Sunday a month "

Oh I am more generous than you

over a year ago

Require non-essential goods to be delivered during the night

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

Oh I have a better idea

Caravans are allowed to be towed, between 11pm and 4 am October to March "

but only on saturday nights / sunday mornings, they are the only hours i do not drive at that time

over a year ago

Stopping lorries overtaking each other one doing 55.99994 MPH the other 55.99995 MPH, taking about an ice age to pass, also the cretin in the fast lane wishing to pass them at 56MPH.

over a year ago

Oh I have a better idea

but only on saturday nights / sunday mornings, they are the only hours i do not drive at that time

"

fully disagree ...when you get stuck behind a caravan... at least half the time, its the coffin dodger in a hatchback in front of them that is holding traffic up

By *ushroom7 OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"Stopping lorries overtaking each other one doing 55.99994 MPH the other 55.99995 MPH, taking about an ice age to pass, also the cretin in the fast lane wishing to pass them at 56MPH.

"

Especially when they had been doing 65mph in the middle lane upto that point.

over a year ago

Oh I have a better idea

fully disagree ...when you get stuck behind a caravan... at least half the time, its the coffin dodger in a hatchback in front of them that is holding traffic up"

And the coffin dodgers towing a caravan!!!

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

And police cars doing 68 mph and no one dares over take them

over a year ago

Oh I have a better idea

fully disagree ...when you get stuck behind a caravan... at least half the time, its the coffin dodger in a hatchback in front of them that is holding traffic up

And the coffin dodgers towing a caravan!!!"

coffin dodgers driving great big motorhomes after a lifetime of nissan micras

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

"And police cars doing 68 mph and no one dares over take them

"

I do often, they aint interested unless you really taking the piss with your speed

over a year ago

"Get rid of the middle lane, have a big trench instead! lol "

Nah... keep the middle lane so the motorway morons automatically filter themselves into it..... My cunning plan would be to have mahooosive trap doors every 500 yards in the middle lane which 'swallow' the 'durrr-brains' when a vehicle is detected dawdling along in said lane NOT overtaking a vehicle in lane one. Problem solved!

By *ushroom7 OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"Get rid of the middle lane, have a big trench instead! lol

Nah... keep the middle lane so the motorway morons automatically filter themselves into it..... My cunning plan would be to have mahooosive trap doors every 500 yards in the middle lane which 'swallow' the 'durrr-brains' when a vehicle is detected dawdling along in said lane NOT overtaking a vehicle in lane one. Problem solved! "

Imperialist! What's wrong with metres?

over a year ago

Nah... keep the middle lane so the motorway morons automatically filter themselves into it..... My cunning plan would be to have mahooosive trap doors every 500 yards in the middle lane which 'swallow' the 'durrr-brains' when a vehicle is detected dawdling along in said lane NOT overtaking a vehicle in lane one. Problem solved! "

great idea ... cos under the trapdoor will be an underground one lane motorway full of middle lane hogs

By *ushroom7 OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Nah... keep the middle lane so the motorway morons automatically filter themselves into it..... My cunning plan would be to have mahooosive trap doors every 500 yards in the middle lane which 'swallow' the 'durrr-brains' when a vehicle is detected dawdling along in said lane NOT overtaking a vehicle in lane one. Problem solved!

great idea ... cos under the trapdoor will be an underground one lane motorway full of middle lane hogs "

The swine.

over a year ago

I do often, they aint interested unless you really taking the piss with your speed"

That's true! I've done a Speed Awareness class and we were told during the session that they aren't too fussed unless you are 'dangerously' breaking the speed limit on a motorway. You're more likely to get pulled over for dangerous manoeuvres like undertaking.

By *ushroom7 OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

I do often, they aint interested unless you really taking the piss with your speed

That's true! I've done a Speed Awareness class and we were told during the session that they aren't too fussed unless you are 'dangerously' breaking the speed limit on a motorway. You're more likely to get pulled over for dangerous manoeuvres like undertaking."

Are these the same Speed Awareness classes that you get offered after being nicked for speeding?

over a year ago

great idea ... cos under the trapdoor will be an underground one lane motorway full of middle lane hogs "

Nah! My next part of the cunning plan would be to create a mahooosive inferno

I'm a nice person really

over a year ago

Take frocks license off her xx

By *ushroom7 OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"Take frocks license off her xx "

Takes Frock off Soapy

Happy 2021

over a year ago

That's true! I've done a Speed Awareness class and we were told during the session that they aren't too fussed unless you are 'dangerously' breaking the speed limit on a motorway. You're more likely to get pulled over for dangerous manoeuvres like undertaking.

Are these the same Speed Awareness classes that you get offered after being nicked for speeding? "

Yup

33mph in a 30 zone.

There was a girl there that was done for 32 in a 30.

....they take residential area speeding far more seriously for the right reasons.

over a year ago

"Take frocks license off her xx

Takes Frock off Soapy

Happy 2021 "

PMSL!!!

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

That's true! I've done a Speed Awareness class and we were told during the session that they aren't too fussed unless you are 'dangerously' breaking the speed limit on a motorway. You're more likely to get pulled over for dangerous manoeuvres like undertaking."

have not done a speed awareness course but had to have a driving assessement with a ex traffic police examiner for work, he told me this, he also told me that (and i no way condone drink driving) that if you stick exactly to the speed limit, or a couple of MPH below it you are more likely to get pulled, as most drivers nataurally go over the limit by a few MPH,

Another tip i got was if you are passing a HATO vehicle keep your speed down to realistic limits often theer is an unmarked traffic car a mile or so ahead of it, and they do have radio contact so if you pass a HATO at stupid speed expect to get a pull

over a year ago

have not done a speed awareness course but had to have a driving assessement with a ex traffic police examiner for work, he told me this, he also told me that (and i no way condone drink driving) that if you stick exactly to the speed limit, or a couple of MPH below it you are more likely to get pulled, as most drivers nataurally go over the limit by a few MPH,

Another tip i got was if you are passing a HATO vehicle keep your speed down to realistic limits often theer is an unmarked traffic car a mile or so ahead of it, and they do have radio contact so if you pass a HATO at stupid speed expect to get a pull

"

going to wait to see if anyone else asks what HATO means

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

Are these the same Speed Awareness classes that you get offered after being nicked for speeding?

Yup

33mph in a 30 zone.

....they take residential area speeding far more seriously for the right reasons."

would have got a lawyer in either of those cases and fought the prosecution, the speedo in your car is allowed a 10% + or - Accuracy, so she would not be doen for 32 or 33 MPH in a 30 zone, theres is more to it if thats the case

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

" going to wait to see if anyone else asks what HATO means "

does that mean you know or wnat to know

over a year ago

" going to wait to see if anyone else asks what HATO means

"

oh i know... honest i do ...no, really i do know... truly i do .... was hoping some others know too

over a year ago

oh i know... honest i do ...no, really i do know... truly i do .... was hoping some others know too "

maybe you should let the others that dont know (not me tho ... i know) .. know

over a year ago

"

Wasn't he Clouseau's manservant?

Not now Hato"

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

oh i know... honest i do ...no, really i do know... truly i do .... was hoping some others know too

maybe you should let the others that dont know (not me tho ... i know) .. know"

was gonna pm you and tel you but blocked for single guys, lets see if anyone knows

over a year ago

was gonna pm you and tel you but blocked for single guys, lets see if anyone knows

i know i know ..... half asleep traffic officer .(proudly puffs up chest and struts around)

"

over a year ago

Yup

33mph in a 30 zone.

....they take residential area speeding far more seriously for the right reasons.

would have got a lawyer in either of those cases and fought the prosecution, the speedo in your car is allowed a 10% + or - Accuracy, so she would not be doen for 32 or 33 MPH in a 30 zone, theres is more to it if thats the case

"

Someone else told me that after I had been on the course.

I've have to say that I'm glad I got done and did the class though. I drive a lot for work and a couple of things that I 're-learnt' since my driving lessons/passing my test have got me out of a couple of 'scrapes'

By *ushroom7 OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Yup

33mph in a 30 zone.

Someone else told me that after I had been on the course.

I've have to say that I'm glad I got done and did the class though. I drive a lot for work and a couple of things that I 're-learnt' since my driving lessons/passing my test have got me out of a couple of 'scrapes' "

Taxi!!!

over a year ago

"

HATO - Highways Agency Traffic Officer

over a year ago

"

Highways Agency Traffic Officer?

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

HATO - Highways Agency Traffic Officer "

yup them

over a year ago

HATO - Highways Agency Traffic Officer

yup them

"

so its not half asleep traffic officer then ???

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

I do often, they aint interested unless you really taking the piss with your speed"

Oh don't worry I do overtake, within the limit

By *teborahCouple
over a year ago

warrington

Turn them all into autobahns and ban anything that has less than 100bhp and is operated by anyone over the age of 65

By *eavy Metal BallzMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

Yup

33mph in a 30 zone.

"

10% + 2mph, but in residential areas expect to get tugged at anything above 30.

By *hi-John69Man
over a year ago

chichester

Yup

33mph in a 30 zone.

10% + 2mph, but in residential areas expect to get tugged at anything above 30."

not every force goes along with that, and they dont have to either

over a year ago

Starbucks drive thru's, like pit lanes on a formula one track, and they serve it up to you as fast as a formula one team changes the tyres,,, 10 secs = cappacino, oops forgot the choc on top? Too late, we're off again.

over a year ago

Everyone should drink and drive. Its much safer.

Statistics show that 1 in 5 deaths on the road are caused by drink drivers.

Therefore 4 out of 5 deaths are caused by Sober Drivers!

The facts speak for themselves

By *edhotminxWoman
over a year ago

Turn left at the Singing Ringing Tree

" I've done a Speed Awareness class ......"

I've just done one of these and thoroughly enjoyed the day, very informative. What I found interesting is that the photo license has an expiry date, and mine is due for renewal next year!

As to improving motorway driving, how about making sure all luggage, canoes and bikes are firmly attached to said vehicle . Have personal experience of trying to dodge one airborne Kayak.

over a year ago

"

That should cure some middle lane hogs. "

Not in good taste after what has been tipped off bridges this last week

over a year ago

"

Not in good taste after what has been tipped off bridges this last week "

Never thought of it like that,,,still not thinking of it like that really.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 05/12/11 23:23:20]

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 05/12/11 23:23:08]

over a year ago

" I've done a Speed Awareness class ......

I've just done one of these and thoroughly enjoyed the day, very informative. What I found interesting is that the photo license has an expiry date, and mine is due for renewal next year!

As to improving motorway driving, how about making sure all luggage, canoes and bikes are firmly attached to said vehicle . Have personal experience of trying to dodge one airborne Kayak. "

Or surf boards, ever seen that Leathal Weapon film? Very bad taste actually

over a year ago

Get the canals and waterways open...

Nationalise the railways and undo all the damage Beeching did...

Turn the M25 into a moat...

IMHO

over a year ago

"

Not in good taste after what has been tipped off bridges this last week

Never thought of it like that,,,still not thinking of it like that really. "

Was watching it in the news and its pretty sick anyone could do something like that for amusement.

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

"Tell you what the drive down M1 today was scary at one point , this guy in a huge car dont ask me make it had 4 wheels weaving over 2 lanes kept breaking when no need , I admit I sped up to get past him he was in middle lane doing 60 and when I went past him he was yawning his head off . Not often I am scared on motorway but he managed it ."

Probably a sales rep...its not easy driving while talking on the phone, eating a sandwich, smoking and trying to read a map at the same time ...

I would nick every lorry driver who nicks the middle lane going up an hill while he tests his tacho with a fellow driver on the inside lane..

Want to piss em off?...get in front of the one on the inside but dont leave enough space for his mate to get in behind you once he has finished his testing session...they love that!

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Probably a sales rep...its not easy driving while talking on the phone, eating a sandwich, smoking and trying to read a map at the same time ...

I would nick every lorry driver who nicks the middle lane going up an hill while he tests his tacho with a fellow driver on the inside lane..

Want to piss em off?...get in front of the one on the inside but dont leave enough space for his mate to get in behind you once he has finished his testing session...they love that! "

Personally I prefer not to be playing silly games on the motorway, or any other road come to that, far safer to just drive your vehicle sensibly and leave games for safer enviroments...

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

fast lane for sales people only and raise the speed limit to 120mph and legalise undertaking when prats hog the middle lane

over a year ago

Days that begin with the letter 'Z'

Post new Message to Thread