Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

finally getting in the spirit

Jump to newest

By *ummy mummy OP   Woman
over a year ago

southampton-ish

I have to admit I have always struggled to get in the Christmas spirit since I moved here 8 years ago...2 big things I think have made it hard for me 1)Christmas is a HUGE deal with my family back home,loads of traditions,getting together with family and friends...something that I had always missed here with the family I married into and their lack of social interaction with anyone really...and for the past 4 years since my ex left I have had the kids in the morning but then they went to their dad's and I was pretty much on my own so did not really have much of a christmas to speak of. the other thing is no snow.It was always something that just went hand in hand with the holiday season and when there isn't any I just struggle to get in the mood.

Tonight I did my first Christmasy thing,making new strings of popcorn for my Christmas tree which is one of my family traditions I have carried on with since I left home 8 years ago and I was so happy to have that feeling of satisfaction and anticipation of how great it will look on the tree.My mother also arrives Thursday for her visit which yes at times will be stressed(4 weeks with her...love her but we are such different people and we both struggle at times around each other...lol)but this is also going to be my first Christmas here with a proper turkey dinner with all the trimmings..a proper family Christmas.SO I know this year I don't care if there is no snow...I don't need the HUGE family Christmas...I will have the most important people with me...my 3 beautiful kids and my mum who is always there for me when I need her and who is going to make this a Christmas to rememberxx Man, I am getting all soppy and I haven't even had a drink tonight...lol

sorry for the ramblings...in a sentimental mood tonight...lol

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple
over a year ago

Lisburn

Hope you have a good one, to me xmas is all about family xxx

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Nice to hear something nice and down to eartth for once...I know you don't know me but I wish you all the best for Christmas!

over a year ago

southampton-ish

"Hope you have a good one, to me xmas is all about family xxx"

exactly...something I never understood with my ex's family...they all live within 30 min of each other but never get together for christmas...my kids hardly even know any of their cousins...I think they actually speak to my neices on skype from Canada more than they see their cousind here...lol

I hope you have a great one as well xxx

over a year ago

southampton-ish

"Nice to hear something nice and down to eartth for once...I know you don't know me but I wish you all the best for Christmas!"

thank you and I hope you have a wonderful Christmas too xx

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I remembered when I lived in the States and was not in train reach or car drive to have christmas with my parents I sobbed my heart out. Everything was so different.

over a year ago

southampton-ish

I am hoping that my mum being here this Christmas will distract the kids from the fact that for the first time their Dad is not going to have them at all Christmas day...HE has decided he wants to spend it alone with his gf,where the past 4 years since he left we still did Christmas morning together,him coming over just before the kids woke up and then taking them to his around noon.

By *uddlesloves!Woman
over a year ago

Plymouth

Anyone wanting to get in the Christmas spirit who has Virgin, then channels 419,420,424 have 24hr Christmas films. Nice to curl up and relax to at night. Easy watching and something for everyone.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

"I am hoping that my mum being here this Christmas will distract the kids from the fact that for the first time their Dad is not going to have them at all Christmas day...HE has decided he wants to spend it alone with his gf,where the past 4 years since he left we still did Christmas morning together,him coming over just before the kids woke up and then taking them to his around noon."

I am sure you will make it a christmas that they will love... xx

over a year ago

"I am hoping that my mum being here this Christmas will distract the kids from the fact that for the first time their Dad is not going to have them at all Christmas day...HE has decided he wants to spend it alone with his gf,where the past 4 years since he left we still did Christmas morning together,him coming over just before the kids woke up and then taking them to his around noon."

The kids may just enjoy the day, as long as he calls them or them him it might even be easier for them than being uprooted from you to go to him reminding them of the breakup. Kids are resilient and i'm sure you and them will enjoy the day.

over a year ago

southampton-ish

"I am hoping that my mum being here this Christmas will distract the kids from the fact that for the first time their Dad is not going to have them at all Christmas day...HE has decided he wants to spend it alone with his gf,where the past 4 years since he left we still did Christmas morning together,him coming over just before the kids woke up and then taking them to his around noon.

The kids may just enjoy the day, as long as he calls them or them him it might even be easier for them than being uprooted from you to go to him reminding them of the breakup. Kids are resilient and i'm sure you and them will enjoy the day. "

they were very young when he left (my son was 2 and my twin girls 4 months old) so they don't know anything different really than mummy's house and daddy's house.so to them the split christmas day IS the norm

over a year ago

They are getting to age now where they wont want to leave their goodies from santa, and it will be a distraction for them xxx

over a year ago

When I left my first wife Christmas Day was always frantic rushing from one house to another to make sure our daughter saw both of us on Xmas Day. My own chilhood was exactly the same coming from a broken home. I'm now 250 miles away and she's 14 and in lot of ways it's easier as she can't be in two places at the same time anymore so this year I get her on the 18th and take her back to her mum's on the 28th so we get to spend a full 10 days with her, and her with her little brother.

Next year we'll have another little sibling for her and I'm quietly confident she'll want to be here for her sister's 1st Christmas as she was for her brother's. It'll mean her mum won't have her on Xmas Day for two years running but she'll be 15 by then and old enough to decide for herself where she wants to be.

It'll sure feel wierd having my three kids together on Xmas Day for the first time next year but I'm really looking forward to it.

As for this year, well, the pressies are bought, the tree is up, getting the turkey on Xmas Eve and it's going to be a great Christmas - we just need it to snow on Xmas Eve now.

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

This year will be the first time that _arambar Jr doesn't spend Xmas with me. Even when I'd split from Mrs _arambar we still all got together on Xmas day. They're gonna be out of the country this year so won't be able to join up. Thank fuck for Skype

By *ouplefunukCouple
over a year ago

North Bristol

This Christmas will be a very difficult one for us. By 1st December my tree is usually up and i'm so excited. This year, it's still in the box, in the cupboard, cards are not written, presents are not bought and I cannot be bothered with it all.

As many of you know we lost our much longed for baby about a month ago, a baby that we'd been trying for 2 1/2 years for. There is no more IVF for us so this is our Christmas. Thinking about how happy we would have been and how we will never have that. Christmas, my favourite time of year has been ruined for me

*Her*

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

For me I am just happy this year is over it has been a tough year with my dad nearly passing away and work going mental...

Post new Message to Thread