Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Is 'house wife' a real job?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Is staying at home to look after kids a real job?

Is watching kids tv and playing with Lego less important than drinking coffee and eating butties on a building site all day?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I guess in the clasdic sense no, you're not being paid in monetary terms....but I know a lot of people who think going to work is a break from doing it . That says it all!

over a year ago

I cant think of anything more important than raising kids well.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

If us blokes didn't drink coffee & eat butties on building sites all day, then you women would have no houses to do your housework in!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

All work is honourable.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"If us blokes didn't drink coffee & eat butties on building sites all day, then you women would have no houses to do your housework in! "

This is true

By *lbert_shlossedMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"I cant think of anything more important than raising kids well.

"

Exactly this.

over a year ago

"If us blokes didn't drink coffee & eat butties on building sites all day, then you women would have no houses to do your housework in! "

If women didn't raise kids, you'd have no people to build houses for!

over a year ago

over a year ago

"

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 27/07/18 15:11:05]

over a year ago

I don't inderstand how anyone can consider it not to be a real job.

over a year ago

No its not a job.

Its much more than a job.

A job is what you do to earn money to pay bills.

Stay at mums are there to raise their kids.

No connection between the two

over a year ago

"

Do they raise kids well? Shopping in pj's and playing on their phone while their toddler kicks the shit out of the neighbour's dog.

over a year ago

How do the houses get built when the men are bending over with their arses hanging out of their filthy jeans while eating a ham butty?

over a year ago

" I guess in the clasdic sense no, you're not being paid in monetary terms....but I know a lot of people who think going to work is a break from doing it . That says it all! "

I think I'd rather drink coffee in an office than chase a horde of screaming jam covered kids around Aldi!

over a year ago

Do they raise kids well? Shopping in pj's and playing on their phone while their toddler kicks the shit out of the neighbour's dog."

I think on the whole they probably do. The stereotype of the Jeremy Kyle kind of mum at home isn't the norm.

And anyway, kicking next doors dog is good for raising the kids awareness of danger

By *ystical_InkedBBWWoman
over a year ago

somewhere in the Shire of Derby

If you stay at home looking after your kids you're not just sitting down watching tv and playing Lego, you're keeping house as well, you get more time to do it than if you were going out to work as well.

Some have to work, some choose to work, others want to work but can't afford childcare or get jobs to fit around childcare.

If a housewife or husband got paid the going rate for the actual jobs they did each day there would probably be a few more choosing to stay at home

over a year ago

"No its not a job.

No connection between the two"

First and foremost a job involves work, no money needs to change hands in order for it to be considered a job. There is a difference between work and going to work.

By *ob198XaMan
over a year ago

teleford

"If you stay at home looking after your kids you're not just sitting down watching tv and playing Lego, you're keeping house as well, you get more time to do it than if you were going out to work as well.

Some have to work, some choose to work, others want to work but can't afford childcare or get jobs to fit around childcare.

If a housewife or husband got paid the going rate for the actual jobs they did each day there would probably be a few more choosing to stay at home"

. Though there are plenty out there who would soon get the sack for getting too little done.. Watching Jeremy Kyle whilst kids play x box is hardly a productive morning

By *dsindyTV/TS
over a year ago

East Lancashire

Yes it is.....and bloody hard work too.

over a year ago

"No its not a job.

No connection between the two

First and foremost a job involves work, no money needs to change hands in order for it to be considered a job. There is a difference between work and going to work."

I see where you're coming from, but I don't class having/raising kids as work or a job, more of a lifestyle choice (can't think of a better choice)

over a year ago

A lot of people out there who have to do both, in this day and age it doesn’t matter what you do as there will always be someone with an opinion telling you that you are wrong

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Do they raise kids well? Shopping in pj's and playing on their phone while their toddler kicks the shit out of the neighbour's dog."

They don't all do it like that. I know my sister, and her husband, have raised theirs. They have educated, entertained, cared, catered and, of course the bit that isn't a job, loved them.

Now that she has returned to paid work outside the home we all see the little things about the 'job' that she just got on with that we took for granted.

It's a vocation, but so are some paid roles outside the home.

By *ute Manchester SwingersCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

obviously it's a loaded question...but no, it's not a 'job'

over a year ago

I do both and pretty much always have done.

I work 24 hours a day and have done for 19 years.

If I had been "paid" for that at minimum wage, I'd be bloody rich!!

I think raising my kids has been the hardest job I have ever had.

over a year ago

Of course it's a real job but like all places of work there's hard workers and shirkers.

By *tirluvMan
over a year ago

the right frame of mind -London

"

What, you raised your kids in a well -I'll have to report you to social services for that

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

If it's just a job are they allowed to clock off take 5 weeks holiday a year and only be on call 40 hours a week....

Just asking

over a year ago

Easiest job in the world, you’re off the grid. Only job you can do in your pyjamas, you can make up the rules as you go along, so you can watch Escape to the Country.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"Easiest job in the world, you’re off the grid. Only job you can do in your pyjamas, you can make up the rules as you go along, so you can watch Escape to the Country. "

You get criticised about almost everything you do as people judge whether you are a good parent or not.

over a year ago

"obviously it's a loaded question...but no, it's not a 'job'"

Of course its a loaded question...

The OP is well known for posting them

By *oodnitegirlWoman
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Whilst they are toddlers then fine. I had a mate who didn’t get a job til her kids were 9 and 10. They were at school for the majority of them years her argument was ‘the kids needed a mum at home’... they weren’t even at home.

Someone further up said it was a lifestyle choice, which is the very fact, if you have a man at home to pay the bills.. she didn’t, she just knew the state would pay her.

I had children the same age, ran a house, kept up to homework etc all whilst working 20 some hours a week.

Maybe I’m the stupid one, I don’t know

over a year ago

Cooking, washing, cleaning, laundry, dusting and so on, yes, I think it is a job, a much unappreciated job much of the time!

over a year ago

"obviously it's a loaded question...but no, it's not a 'job'

Of course its a loaded question...

The OP is well known for posting them "

Why the rolling eyes? Do you have a problem?

over a year ago

"I do both and pretty much always have done.

I think raising my kids has been the hardest job I have ever had. "

I've seen estimates for what the pay would be if a 'housewife' got paid for all the jobs they do. Childminder, carer, cleaner, chauffeur, chef, etc. It's a lot!

And no holidays or weekends off.

over a year ago

I've seen estimates for what the pay would be if a 'housewife' got paid for all the jobs they do. Childminder, carer, cleaner, chauffeur, chef, etc. It's a lot!

And no holidays or weekends off. "

'Taking into account all the cooking, cleaning, nursing and childcare (plus a dash of counselling and work as a personal organiser), housewives deserve an annual salary of £159,137.'

www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/11164040/How-much-is-a-housewife-worth.html

However they don't seem to understand the number of hours in a week or job ratios, they've just added all the wages up.

By *arry247Couple
over a year ago

Wakefield

We think it so important that it should be illegal for both partners in a marriage with children to work.

One should remain at home to look after the kids

over a year ago

Please ask this question to the divorced man who has to pay his wife alimony for all the years of house work and raising the kids....

My client paid his wife a one time settlement of $20 million for staying at home with nannies and housekeepers....

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"We think it so important that it should be illegal for both partners in a marriage with children to work.

One should remain at home to look after the kids"

How are some families to survive if there is only one minimum wage salary coming in?

over a year ago

"Is staying at home to look after kids a real job?

"

What are you defining as a job? And then what are you defining as a real job?

"

Is watching kids tv and playing with Lego less important than drinking coffee and eating butties on a building site all day?

"

In what context?

over a year ago

"We think it so important that it should be illegal for both partners in a marriage with children to work.

One should remain at home to look after the kids"

Isn't that just a huge kick in the ass for single parent families though?

By *rontier PsychiatristMan
over a year ago

Coventry

It is a real job especially when you have young kids. I try to be house wife and a full time working man. It dont work holding two jobs, not enough time in the day.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan
over a year ago

here

"

No!

You forgot to include : get the hoover out, make the bed, clean the bathroom and make the dinner

over a year ago

"If us blokes didn't drink coffee & eat butties on building sites all day, then you women would have no houses to do your housework in!

How do the houses get built when the men are bending over with their arses hanging out of their filthy jeans while eating a ham butty?"

Who the fuck would choose bending over with your arse hanging out as the best position to eat a butty in, that's what I'd like to know...

over a year ago

www.metro.co.uk/2018/07/27/woman-quits-job-and-ditches-modern-life-to-become-a-1950s-housewife-7762715/

'Jemima, who quit her job as a government worker, is married to 29-year-old engineer Jack. The couple live in Brisbane, Australia.

Jemima is so obsessed with the 50s lifestyle that she’s taking time out from her criminology career to take pride in leading the true lifestyle of a 1950s housewife.'

The article seems to focus mainly on her outfits for some reason.

over a year ago

What are you defining as a job? And then what are you defining as a real job?

In what context?"

I'm not defining anything, it's open for people to discuss.

over a year ago

'Taking into account all the cooking, cleaning, nursing and childcare (plus a dash of counselling and work as a personal organiser), housewives deserve an annual salary of £159,137.'

www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/11164040/How-much-is-a-housewife-worth.html

However they don't seem to understand the number of hours in a week or job ratios, they've just added all the wages up. "

By that rationale though and not taking the hours into account, the average bloke as well as his normal wage would receive the full wage of a plumber, mechanic, driver, painter and decorator, counsellor, financial advisor, gardener and heavy duty cleaner. Plus the all the wages that a stay at home housewife/husband would get for a weekend's work.

It's incalculable for either role.

over a year ago

However they don't seem to understand the number of hours in a week or job ratios, they've just added all the wages up.

By that rationale though and not taking the hours into account, the average bloke as well as his normal wage would receive the full wage of a plumber, mechanic, driver, painter and decorator, counsellor, financial advisor, gardener and heavy duty cleaner. Plus the all the wages that a stay at home housewife/husband would get for a weekend's work.

It's incalculable for either role."

I agree. Articles like the one I quoted say that 'housewife' is a proper and valued job yet they still seem to infer it's not.

Some people sit on their arses all day watching Jeremy Kyle and eating crisps. Some people sit on their arses all day in the office drinking coffee and little else. Hence the point in my OP.

over a year ago

I think it's the hardest most lonely job ever. I couldn't do it, 1, because couldn't afford to and 2 because it would drive me insane. I've always worked part time since having my son. I think nursery are good for kids as it teaches them through play.

Post new Message to Thread