Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

200,000 years of nothing much ...

Jump to newest

By *loswingers OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucester

As a species we have been around as we are now for some 200,000 years .

Yet we only came up with electricity 200 years ago . And since then pretty much everything we take for granted has been invented .

So how come it took so long ?

Do you ever wonder why every other species on the planet it much the same as it was when it first came about , yet we have evolved so much .

Thanks to Tame Impala for making me think of this shit with his multi universe theory

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Tbh although we've invented a lot of crap I don't think what we've done is evolve . We've just fucked our own planet up and too many people care about money and power and greed. Just my opinion .

Good subject though OP

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It's crazy thoughts like that which make me think maybe it really is all just a dream after all

over a year ago

Taking a look at the forum on an average day, one would be forgiven for thinking we haven't evolved at all.

By *loswingers OP   Couple
over a year ago

Gloucester

Mmm... maybe evolved was the wrong word .

Should have said that we came up with so much in such a short space of time .

And came up with so little in such a long space of time .

Whatever it wa sthat gave the guy the opportunity to create the battery must have been about for the 198,000 years before he did it ?

Was it just that creation that gave rise to the rest of the stuff that came afterwards ?

And why then ?

over a year ago

"As a species we have been around as we are now for some 200,000 years .

Yet we only came up with electricity 200 years ago . And since then pretty much everything we take for granted has been invented .

Do you ever wonder why every other species on the planet it much the same as it was when it first came about , yet we have evolved so much .

Thanks to Tame Impala for making me think of this shit with his multi universe theory "

Alligators /crocs have been around since the dinosaurs - perhaps they're the ones who are doing "it" right

over a year ago

"As a species we have been around as we are now for some 200,000 years .

Thanks to Tame Impala for making me think of this shit with his multi universe theory "

Hey, that’s all I’m here for, to make people think. Isn’t it opposable thumbs that had something to do with it.

Still waiting for hoverboards though, that documentary Back to the Future lied to us, get on it science geeks !

By *dam1971Man
over a year ago

Bedford

How long until we invent being nice to ourselves and each other? Because it’s about fucking time

over a year ago

"Mmm... maybe evolved was the wrong word .

Whatever it wa sthat gave the guy the opportunity to create the battery must have been about for the 198,000 years before he did it ?

Was it just that creation that gave rise to the rest of the stuff that came afterwards ?

And why then ?

"

Along similar lines op is Kant's argument against time being infinite i.e that since infinity is a number that is always growing and never completes there's no way that an infinite period of time preceded us or else we still wouldn't have arrived at this present moment

In short... Why us? Why now? For most of the vast sea of time nothing much has happened. Yet here we are using computers to arrange blow jobs

over a year ago

"How long until we invent being nice to ourselves and each other? Because it’s about fucking time"

It's wars that tend to accelerate technological progress, nothing spurs us on more than coming up with better ways to torture, maim and kill each other.

over a year ago

And why then ?

Along similar lines op is Kant's argument against time being infinite i.e that since infinity is a number that is always growing and never completes there's no way that an infinite period of time preceded us or else we still wouldn't have arrived at this present moment

In short... Why us? Why now? For most of the vast sea of time nothing much has happened. Yet here we are using computers to arrange blow jobs "

Then don't put a number to it. Take a look at the lemniscate 8 on it's side : No beginning and no end.

over a year ago

And why then ?

In short... Why us? Why now? For most of the vast sea of time nothing much has happened. Yet here we are using computers to arrange blow jobs

Then don't put a number to it. Take a look at the lemniscate 8 on it's side : No beginning and no end."

Ooo I love it when you talk dirty

But yeah I agree. But it's fun to let it do people's heads in and the whole thing is a bit odd imo... probably a dream as I said before xx

over a year ago

"It's crazy thoughts like that which make me think maybe it really is all just a dream after all "

Yes. We are all batteries...

Mistress Amelia

over a year ago

We are plankton in the club Jacuzzi.

over a year ago

"We are plankton in the club Jacuzzi."

Or floating jizz

over a year ago

Nasty

over a year ago

My belief is that we may not be the first human civilisation to inhabit the Earth. There was a documentary showing that after a period of time - I think it was 5000 years, absolutely no proof of human civilisation would exist. Given the amount of ELE's that are known about, and many that are not, I think it's entirely possible that we (current humans) weren't here first.

By *egasus NobMan
over a year ago

Merton

What if we are in a simulation?

What if we chose our parent?

What if we chose how birthplace?

What if life means nothing at the end?

What if there is an afterlife?

so much questions

The greatest invention of the 19th century is electricity without it will be back in dark ages.

By *irenGuy70Man
over a year ago

Cirencester

I read an article once on this and it seems to me that there are particular events which allow advancement to accelerate - like a hoop we jump through which opens up more possibilities. Things like use of fire, tools, domesticating animals, the wheel!. These things allow the population to grow as life expectancy becomes greater and so there are more and more people to advance things through trial and error. People learnt to communicate and read and write and that helped transfer knowledge through the generations. All of these things snowball and helped us to evolve to where we are today. To me, it seems that each 'hoop' we jump through is taking less and less time to get there. I find it incredible that it took only 66 years from the first manned flight to put a man on the moon. Air travel is commonplace nowadays and allows us to see the world, expand our knowledge and experience other cultures. If we have done all that in 120 years what is it going to be like i just 500 or 1000 years from now? Just a shame I won't be around to find out - but I do hope the human race will be.

over a year ago

We are living in the matrix. 200,000 years ago was fabricated to give us purpose and feel like its an evolutionary process

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

Prof Sir Robert Winston has lots of good answers in his book about humans.

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan
over a year ago

"I read an article once on this and it seems to me that there are particular events which allow advancement to accelerate - like a hoop we jump through which opens up more possibilities. Things like use of fire, tools, domesticating animals, the wheel!. These things allow the population to grow as life expectancy becomes greater and so there are more and more people to advance things through trial and error. People learnt to communicate and read and write and that helped transfer knowledge through the generations. All of these things snowball and helped us to evolve to where we are today. To me, it seems that each 'hoop' we jump through is taking less and less time to get there. I find it incredible that it took only 66 years from the first manned flight to put a man on the moon. Air travel is commonplace nowadays and allows us to see the world, expand our knowledge and experience other cultures. If we have done all that in 120 years what is it going to be like i just 500 or 1000 years from now? Just a shame I won't be around to find out - but I do hope the human race will be."

As well as the advancements you mentioned, When people started to settle in one area instead of following the heard they had more time to think about life and how to improve themselves

over a year ago

We havent evolved properly and we never will, the stuff that really matters. If it even matters.

The Incas' empire stretched across Chile, Colombia, Bolivia, Argentina etc and they didnt even have wheels or horses.

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan
over a year ago

"My belief is that we may not be the first human civilisation to inhabit the Earth. There was a documentary showing that after a period of time - I think it was 5000 years, absolutely no proof of human civilisation would exist. Given the amount of ELE's that are known about, and many that are not, I think it's entirely possible that we (current humans) weren't here first."

If modern humans left Africa between 70-40 thousand years ago, Imagine if a group left a couple of thousand years before them and found land that was fertile, A stable climate with clean drinking water, Animals etc

By the time the others arrived you would think they would be a lot more advanced

over a year ago

Something came along and gave us a bit of a jump start maybe.

By *mp411Man
over a year ago

chester

Aliens recoding our dna lol

Post new Message to Thread