Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Obesity epidemic, part 2ish

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Rather than continue the pointless debate whether obesity is caused by own responsibility verses own responsibility and other factors, how about we use this thread to educate.

1. Drink more water and before food/meals - rationale: Dehydration can be misinterpreted for hunter; helps to make us feel full.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

"Rather than continue the pointless debate whether obesity is caused by own responsibility verses own responsibility and other factors, how about we use this thread to educate.

1. Drink more water and before food/meals - rationale: Dehydration can be misinterpreted for hunter; helps to make us feel full."

Bugger... Stupid phone - Hunger

By *retty womanWoman
over a year ago

Near Bournemouth

And what about educating yourself on certain conditions that make you put on weight??

over a year ago

"And what about educating yourself on certain conditions that make you put on weight??"

Lack of exercise/mobility

Poor diet

Hormonal imbalance

Medications such as anti-depressants

Excess alcohol

Mental health issues, inc stress

By *eelouWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

"And what about educating yourself on certain conditions that make you put on weight??"

This exactly, thank you. I used to hate the fact I put on so much weight. Something I couldn't do anything about due to medications and other stuff. Got sick or having to explain myself to the perfect fit people who just assume I'm lazy! Now I couldn't care less, their judgement says more about them than me.

Those in glass houses!!

By *retty womanWoman
over a year ago

Near Bournemouth

"And what about educating yourself on certain conditions that make you put on weight??

Poor diet

Hormonal imbalance

Excess alcohol

"

Try hypothyroidism!!

By *retty womanWoman
over a year ago

Near Bournemouth

"And what about educating yourself on certain conditions that make you put on weight??

This exactly, thank you. I used to hate the fact I put on so much weight. Something I couldn't do anything about due to medications and other stuff. Got sick or having to explain myself to the perfect fit people who just assume I'm lazy! Now I couldn't care less, their judgement says more about them than me.

Those in glass houses!!"

over a year ago

Those in glass houses!!"

No-one should judge another. As the saying goes "walk a mile in their shoes".

Sadly even healthcare professionals need to be more aware of HOW they communicate their messages.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

As I have posted on the other thread yes, people need to help themselves and take responsibility but there is a sizeable minority of the population who lack the brains, guidance or raw materials to do that so the government needs to step in....

But they won't because they don't give a fuck.

It's like knife crime. Many city's, my own especially had major issues with crime for approaching 100 years but the government only really took note when London was affected.

It's a disgrace that in our country your life expectancy, job opportunities and quality of education is still largely dependant on the postcode of your birth.

over a year ago

So what's with the fat shaming?, some people are overweight, if don't like it don't do things with them.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I wonder if the brother of the OP in thread one has issues with leptin and ghrelin?

over a year ago

Poor diet

Hormonal imbalance

Excess alcohol

Try hypothyroidism!!"

It's thyroxine - out of balance (i grouped that with diabetes insulin dependent, polycystic ovaries, peri and menopause together re hormones).

over a year ago

"So what's with the fat shaming?, some people are overweight, if don't like it don't do things with them. "

This is FAR from a fat shaming thread. How could i? I'm categorised as obese .

over a year ago

"I wonder if the brother of the OP in thread one has issues with leptin and ghrelin?

"

That's the thing, too many people think fat people just overeat, they don't understand metabolism is unique for individuals and moots the calories in and out simplicity.

over a year ago

Those in glass houses!!

Sadly even healthcare professionals need to be more aware of HOW they communicate their messages."

I think we broadly agree on this but I don't agree with this point.

Any criticism levelled these days is so wrapped up in bullshit PC non offensive language the actual message gets lost.

Kids don't lose now, they are first runner up or some other shite. This gives them a sense of achievement their abilities don't merit.

When they hit the real world and there is actually consequences they are lost.

A bit off topic I know haha but if someone has a weight problem they need to hear it then be educated in how to address it. It's then up to the parents to make sure the kids do what they have been told.

I'd penalise parents who had obese kids.

Accountability just seems to have disappeared from our culture

over a year ago

"So what's with the fat shaming?, some people are overweight, if don't like it don't do things with them. "

Who's fat shaming? I'm north of my ideal weight

No offence to you but you are exactly what I highlighted in my previous post.

We seem so terrified to offend anybody that issues get ignored completely

By *retty womanWoman
over a year ago

Near Bournemouth

Those in glass houses!!

Sadly even healthcare professionals need to be more aware of HOW they communicate their messages..

Any criticism levelled these days is so wrapped up in bullshit PC non offensive language the actual message gets lost.

Kids don't lose now, they are first runner up or some other shite. This gives them a sense of achievement their abilities don't merit.

A bit off topic I know haha but if someone has a weight problem they need to hear it then be educated in how to address it. It's then up to the parents to make sure the kids do what they have been told.

Accountability just seems to have disappeared from our culture "

According to doctors my hubby was obese when he was 22 and he only had 5% body fat.

Work that one out!!

over a year ago

Those in glass houses!!

Sadly even healthcare professionals need to be more aware of HOW they communicate their messages..

Accountability just seems to have disappeared from our culture "

Facts need to be stated:

"Sharon, your BMI is 39, your waist is above 88. You are at a very high risk of getting blah, blah. I would like to refer you to a weight management programme". Gives rationale, advises her to look at NHS Choices. No judgement just simple fact giving.

over a year ago

Those in glass houses!!

According to doctors my hubby was obese when he was 22 and he only had 5% body fat.

Work that one out!!"

He had too much muscle mass. That's not healthy too. Looks good though haha

over a year ago

Those in glass houses!!

Work that one out!!"

It'd be due to BMI which doesn't take into account muscle mass and bone density.

By *retty womanWoman
over a year ago

Near Bournemouth

Those in glass houses!!

Work that one out!!

He had too much muscle mass. That's not healthy too. Looks good though haha "

He did look good then hehe.

over a year ago

Those in glass houses!!

Facts need to be stated:

"Sharon, your BMI is 39, your waist is above 88. You are at a very high risk of getting blah, blah. I would like to refer you to a weight management programme". Gives rationale, advises her to look at NHS Choices. No judgement just simple fact giving."

Sorry to any Sharons

over a year ago

Those in glass houses!!

Work that one out!!

He had too much muscle mass. That's not healthy too. Looks good though haha "

Enlighten me

over a year ago

Those in glass houses!!

Work that one out!!

Enlighten me"

If you're a 17/18 stone bodybuilder there's still extra strain on your heart. Although I know you could be a smaller 13/14st bodybuilder and still be classed as overweight by BMI standards but BMIs don't really account for alot of athletes.

over a year ago

Those in glass houses!!

Work that one out!!"

I share your scepticism about medics on this.

I think I too an classed as obese and happy to acknowledge I'm a bit overweight but not obese.

Measuring body fat and the ramifications of it is still in its infancy compared to other fields of medicine and there is every chance there will be a U turn on some advice given today.

Not too long ago having an alcoholic drink daily was good for you. I think the latest advice is total abstinence.

For me this seems a quick, easy and cheap win for any government who care enough about the poorer areas to act.

By *retty womanWoman
over a year ago

Near Bournemouth

Those in glass houses!!

Work that one out!!

Enlighten me"

He used to go to the gym 5 times a week, plus cycled everywhere and played lots of sport.

over a year ago

Those in glass houses!!

Work that one out!!

Enlighten me

He used to go to the gym 5 times a week, plus cycled everywhere and played lots of sport."

I was querying about the "unhealthy" muscle mass.

By *retty womanWoman
over a year ago

Near Bournemouth

Those in glass houses!!

Work that one out!!

Enlighten me

He used to go to the gym 5 times a week, plus cycled everywhere and played lots of sport.

I was querying about the "unhealthy" muscle mass."

I don't know if he had an unhealthy muscle mass, but he's 5'6" and was 11.5/12 stones at the time.

over a year ago

Those in glass houses!!

Work that one out!!

Enlighten me

I was querying about the "unhealthy" muscle mass."

As Returnedone said too much muscle strains your heart.

It can be as dangerous as too much fat.

I don't know about your exposure to professional sports people but I've met a lot through the years from footballer to Formula 1 drivers, golfers, tennis, cricket players and generally they are pretty slight in build.

Well slight compared to me

over a year ago

2. Walk more, preferably outside - get your dose of vitamin D while you're at it.

Walking is the first steps to exercising for some. Don't worry about how many steps, just gradually build up duration, frequency and intensity as able.

I'm guilty of not walking enough when it's quicker to drive.

Off topic but spank me

over a year ago

Well I can eat like a horse and don't put any weight on and I don't excerise ever

My problem is everything I eat stays in my tummy area

Looks like a beer belly but I don't drink

I think breathing plays a big part in weight issues

I don't breathe much .

I think if I started breathing excerise my tummy would shift .

over a year ago

Ever seen a fat cyclist? Exercise, there's no other way

over a year ago

"2. Walk more, preferably outside - get your dose of vitamin D while you're at it.

Walking is the first steps to exercising for some. Don't worry about how many steps, just gradually build up duration, frequency and intensity as able.

Off topic but spank me "

My mum's well fit at 75

All due to walking a couple of miles a day

Took about 6 months but the pounds fell off her ....

Its all about breathing. ....

By *retty womanWoman
over a year ago

Near Bournemouth

Ever seen a fat cyclist? Exercise, there's no other way"

Again take a look at something called hypothyroidism!!!

over a year ago

Ever seen a fat cyclist? Exercise, there's no other way"

Not everyone can ride a bike

Walking best

Cycling ok if your young . If older bad for knees and hips.

Walk and breath ...drink water .

By *endoverhappyMan
over a year ago

Darlington

Walking best

Walk and breath ...drink water ."

I've seen a few fat cyclist

over a year ago

Again take a look at something called hypothyroidism!!!"

How common is it?

By *retty womanWoman
over a year ago

Near Bournemouth

Again take a look at something called hypothyroidism!!!

How common is it?"

Not very apparently.

over a year ago

I'm overweight but I walk, jog, swim and cycle! I've even been known to do the odd marathon

The efforts there, no excuses but I do have a wide arse and thick thighs is that a medical condition ??

By *eelouWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

"2. Walk more, preferably outside - get your dose of vitamin D while you're at it.

Off topic but spank me

My mum's well fit at 75

All due to walking a couple of miles a day

Took about 6 months but the pounds fell off her ....

Its all about breathing. ...."

That's all well and good if your lungs actually work properly.

It's a simple as theres not 1 fix that fits everyone and people need to stop assuming that every obese person can just get off their arse and fix it.

over a year ago

Walking best

Walk and breath ...drink water ."

Cycling is better for older people and those with joint problems as it's a non weight bearing exercise.

Swimming and spin classes are other great non weight bearing exercises x

over a year ago

Poor diet

Hormonal imbalance

Excess alcohol

"

Prader willi syndrome it’s very real my daughter has it it’s a constantly hungry condition sufferers never get the satiation of having had food they are constantly feeling starved it causes major meltdowns and also food stealing leading to eating non edibles they constantly put their lives at risk once the hunger kicks in from aged 4 for my daughter so before anyone starts assuming poor diet lack of exercise comfort eating all self inflicted think outside the box a bit ffs pw is not the only condition but it is one of the worst for it, and why on earth would someone else’s weight be of consequence to those who are happy with their own weight why are they always full of advice on how to be more like them?? I’m big myself bring a carer for my daughter gave me very little chance to exercise and eat properly but I can lose weight IF it bothered me but it don’t and if my weight bothers you then jog on, weight on a healthy person can be lost, the personality of a small minded person will always remain once the weight goes they’ll find something else they’d like to change on you as their too perfect themselves

over a year ago

Swimming is accepted as one of the best sports for overall cardio and resistance workout and it’s unlikely to injure you.

When I was a kid (70’s 80s) there was 3 pools within a mile of my house.

The closest one now is 2/3 miles away.

Obviously the pools shut down due to losing money but I’d wager keeping them and the school playing fields that have also all gone open would be cheaper than treating a nation of morbidly obese people with Diabetes, heart problems and all other associated ailments.

A lack of foresight is the one constant we have in government

over a year ago

"Swimming is accepted as one of the best sports for overall cardio and resistance workout and it’s unlikely to injure you.

When I was a kid (70’s 80s) there was 3 pools within a mile of my house.

The closest one now is 2/3 miles away.

Obviously the pools shut down due to losing money but I’d wager keeping them and the school playing fields that have also all gone open would be cheaper than treating a nation of morbidly obese people with Diabetes, heart problems and all other associated ailments.

A lack of foresight is the one constant we have in government "

over a year ago

Poor diet

Hormonal imbalance

Excess alcohol

Prader willi syndrome it’s very real my daughter has it it’s a constantly hungry condition sufferers never get the satiation of having had food they are constantly feeling starved it causes major meltdowns and also food stealing leading to eating non edibles they constantly put their lives at risk once the hunger kicks in from aged 4 for my daughter so before anyone starts assuming poor diet lack of exercise comfort eating all self inflicted think outside the box a bit ffs pw is not the only condition but it is one of the worst for it, and why on earth would someone else’s weight be of consequence to those who are happy with their own weight why are they always full of advice on how to be more like them?? I’m big myself bring a carer for my daughter gave me very little chance to exercise and eat properly but I can lose weight IF it bothered me but it don’t and if my weight bothers you then jog on, weight on a healthy person can be lost, the personality of a small minded person will always remain once the weight goes they’ll find something else they’d like to change on you as their too perfect themselves"

Your being a bit over sensitive here

What you describe is a medical issue. Nobody is having a pop at that kind of problem.

There’s an issue with weight in our country, it’s obvious but nobody is saying every person over weight is in any way to blame.

I like to think most people understand there are exceptions

over a year ago

Poor diet

Hormonal imbalance

Excess alcohol

Prader willi syndrome it’s very real my daughter has it it’s a constantly hungry condition sufferers never get the satiation of having had food they are constantly feeling starved it causes major meltdowns and also food stealing leading to eating non edibles they constantly put their lives at risk once the hunger kicks in from aged 4 for my daughter so before anyone starts assuming poor diet lack of exercise comfort eating all self inflicted think outside the box a bit ffs pw is not the only condition but it is one of the worst for it, and why on earth would someone else’s weight be of consequence to those who are happy with their own weight why are they always full of advice on how to be more like them?? I’m big myself bring a carer for my daughter gave me very little chance to exercise and eat properly but I can lose weight IF it bothered me but it don’t and if my weight bothers you then jog on, weight on a healthy person can be lost, the personality of a small minded person will always remain once the weight goes they’ll find something else they’d like to change on you as their too perfect themselves

What you describe is a medical issue. Nobody is having a pop at that kind of problem.

There’s an issue with weight in our country, it’s obvious but nobody is saying every person over weight is in any way to blame.

I like to think most people understand there are exceptions "

As you said most people do understand that but then there’s a lot of people who insist obesity is self inflicted that having a medical issue is being used as an excuse, I have suffered so much verbal abuse over this because I have allowed my daughter to become obese in their eyes I could prevent it, it just can’t be prevented yes I agree educate people on how to lose weight of course but then also educate people about the conditions that can’t lose weight that will be obese about people who won’t have a full life expectancy or even a decent quality of life due to daily bullying over a condition they have no control over I’m not over sensitive though I have a right to be I’m just someone who had gone through hell with self opinionated perfect people who feel Im at fault for my daughters issues , I am fully responsible for my own weight yes bring insble to eat in front of her having to eat late once she was in bed not being able to leave her with anyone do a gym membership was impossible, I walk loads I used to cycle but having a lung condition and a bad knee I prefer walking I have lost weight, I’m still classed bbw but I’m down from size 24 to size 18-20 people who didn’t see me bigger still say I’m a fat ducker should do something about it those that saw me bigger day nothing as they know I am doing something about it, come winter though I’ll be on steroids for my lungs again so all this hard work will have been wasted so over sensitive? No but a firm believer educating people should go both ways

over a year ago

Poor diet

Hormonal imbalance

Excess alcohol

As you said most people do understand that but then there’s a lot of people who insist obesity is self inflicted that having a medical issue is being used as an excuse, I have suffered so much verbal abuse over this because I have allowed my daughter to become obese in their eyes I could prevent it, it just can’t be prevented yes I agree educate people on how to lose weight of course but then also educate people about the conditions that can’t lose weight that will be obese about people who won’t have a full life expectancy or even a decent quality of life due to daily bullying over a condition they have no control over I’m not over sensitive though I have a right to be I’m just someone who had gone through hell with self opinionated perfect people who feel Im at fault for my daughters issues , I am fully responsible for my own weight yes bring insble to eat in front of her having to eat late once she was in bed not being able to leave her with anyone do a gym membership was impossible, I walk loads I used to cycle but having a lung condition and a bad knee I prefer walking I have lost weight, I’m still classed bbw but I’m down from size 24 to size 18-20 people who didn’t see me bigger still say I’m a fat ducker should do something about it those that saw me bigger day nothing as they know I am doing something about it, come winter though I’ll be on steroids for my lungs again so all this hard work will have been wasted so over sensitive? No but a firm believer educating people should go both ways"

I don’t disagree with anything you say.

I’ll repeat I draw a distinction between a medical issue and socioeconomic issues.

You should be treated, helped and supported. There’s a world of difference between your situation and others.

When discussing a broad topic with other factors involved the conversation tends to be generic but I guess it’s inevitable somebody who highlights an exception would get upset

I think it’s clear no offence was intended but I’m not in your shoes

over a year ago

Poor diet

Hormonal imbalance

Excess alcohol

As you said most people do understand that but then there’s a lot of people who insist obesity is self inflicted that having a medical issue is being used as an excuse, I have suffered so much verbal abuse over this because I have allowed my daughter to become obese in their eyes I could prevent it, it just can’t be prevented yes I agree educate people on how to lose weight of course but then also educate people about the conditions that can’t lose weight that will be obese about people who won’t have a full life expectancy or even a decent quality of life due to daily bullying over a condition they have no control over I’m not over sensitive though I have a right to be I’m just someone who had gone through hell with self opinionated perfect people who feel Im at fault for my daughters issues , I am fully responsible for my own weight yes bring insble to eat in front of her having to eat late once she was in bed not being able to leave her with anyone do a gym membership was impossible, I walk loads I used to cycle but having a lung condition and a bad knee I prefer walking I have lost weight, I’m still classed bbw but I’m down from size 24 to size 18-20 people who didn’t see me bigger still say I’m a fat ducker should do something about it those that saw me bigger day nothing as they know I am doing something about it, come winter though I’ll be on steroids for my lungs again so all this hard work will have been wasted so over sensitive? No but a firm believer educating people should go both ways"

Well done with the weight loss. Re educating people, it's hard enough educating some people to help themselves let alone educating others that weight gain is NOT all about calorie input being higher than output. You wouldn't have liked the original thread by Tame Impala.

over a year ago

We willl have to agree to disagree then as someone who hasn’t been in my position then you won’t know how abusive people can be and pw remains untreatable nothing helps, there are medical studies and research ongoing but very little of that in the uk do I couldn’t get my daughter into on any of the research groups some proved effective on weight but increased the other issues in the condition like the seizures and the low muscle tone etc none of the studies so far have been successful I do still follow them, but my daughter was constantly bullied for her weight not just by kids but by their parents who would exclude her from anything they could basically

over a year ago

Poor diet

Hormonal imbalance

Excess alcohol

As you said most people do understand that but then there’s a lot of people who insist obesity is self inflicted that having a medical issue is being used as an excuse, I have suffered so much verbal abuse over this because I have allowed my daughter to become obese in their eyes I could prevent it, it just can’t be prevented yes I agree educate people on how to lose weight of course but then also educate people about the conditions that can’t lose weight that will be obese about people who won’t have a full life expectancy or even a decent quality of life due to daily bullying over a condition they have no control over I’m not over sensitive though I have a right to be I’m just someone who had gone through hell with self opinionated perfect people who feel Im at fault for my daughters issues , I am fully responsible for my own weight yes bring insble to eat in front of her having to eat late once she was in bed not being able to leave her with anyone do a gym membership was impossible, I walk loads I used to cycle but having a lung condition and a bad knee I prefer walking I have lost weight, I’m still classed bbw but I’m down from size 24 to size 18-20 people who didn’t see me bigger still say I’m a fat ducker should do something about it those that saw me bigger day nothing as they know I am doing something about it, come winter though I’ll be on steroids for my lungs again so all this hard work will have been wasted so over sensitive? No but a firm believer educating people should go both ways

Well done with the weight loss. Re educating people, it's hard enough educating some people to help themselves let alone educating others that weight gain is NOT all about calorie input being higher than output. You wouldn't have liked the original thread by Tame Impala."

I am so glad I didn’t see it I’m heart broken over this one I can’t beleive this day and age people still think oh you can get help or you can help yourself or whatever there is no need for it, if your happy with you and yours then leave other people alone if they need or want your help they’ll ask for it I say

over a year ago

"We willl have to agree to disagree then as someone who hasn’t been in my position then you won’t know how abusive people can be and pw remains untreatable nothing helps, there are medical studies and research ongoing but very little of that in the uk do I couldn’t get my daughter into on any of the research groups some proved effective on weight but increased the other issues in the condition like the seizures and the low muscle tone etc none of the studies so far have been successful I do still follow them, but my daughter was constantly bullied for her weight not just by kids but by their parents who would exclude her from anything they could basically "

I empathise with you. Perhaps, if the school has a newsletter, you could suggest an awareness section, where parents could write in and have their piece published, such as the condition your daughter suffers. I'm sure there are topics other parents would like to highlight. Bullying could be another. The negative consequences of ignorance is horrifying.

over a year ago

Poor diet

Hormonal imbalance

Excess alcohol

Well done with the weight loss. Re educating people, it's hard enough educating some people to help themselves let alone educating others that weight gain is NOT all about calorie input being higher than output. You wouldn't have liked the original thread by Tame Impala.

I am so glad I didn’t see it I’m heart broken over this one I can’t beleive this day and age people still think oh you can get help or you can help yourself or whatever there is no need for it, if your happy with you and yours then leave other people alone if they need or want your help they’ll ask for it I say "

It's good to be happy in yourself.

Why are you heartbroken about this thread? The intent is to be non-judgemental and helpful. I was hoping people would give positive tips to each other. Support is valuable. Knowing you're not alone in your struggle is helpful.

over a year ago

Poor diet

Hormonal imbalance

Excess alcohol

I am so glad I didn’t see it I’m heart broken over this one I can’t beleive this day and age people still think oh you can get help or you can help yourself or whatever there is no need for it, if your happy with you and yours then leave other people alone if they need or want your help they’ll ask for it I say "

Btw there is a huge need to try and reach out to help those who are obese due to health consequences. Over 25% of the adult population is obese, most of these will develop non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Liver disease is the only disease in this country whereby premature mortality is rising and yet 90% of it is preventable.

over a year ago

Could be worse they could look like a fat Michael Jackson with a filter

over a year ago

As I have posted on the other thread yes, people need to help themselves and take responsibility but there is a sizeable minority of the population who lack the brains, guidance or raw materials to do that so the government needs to step in....

But they won't because they don't give a fuck.

It's like knife crime. Many city's, my own especially had major issues with crime for approaching 100 years but the government only really took note when London was affected.

It's a disgrace that in our country your life expectancy, job opportunities and quality of education is still largely dependant on the postcode of your birth."

It might be a fact (on average) but is it a disgrace? It's the same in every country. It's 2018 and everything you need to know is at your finger tips.

Less victim complex and more personal responsibility.

By *htcMan
over a year ago

MK

Rubbish. Drink more water won't do a thing, even a bottle of only has a few hundred calories. It's caused by lazy parents who over feed there children. Fat parents = fat kids. Average weight parents = average weight children.

Banning soft drinks, sweets or putting taxes will not change a thing. Even changing the foods to healthy foods won't change it.

Parents need to crack down on the fat ones, no snacks during the day or evening, none. Breakfast, lunch and tea that is it. Make them do exercise until they loose it, make smaller portions.

I have friends who are normal weight and ones who are large with children, you can spot what is causing it in 5 minutes with them.

over a year ago

Isn’t it a simple case of consuming more calories than you’re burning. All diet books can be reduced to 4 words.

Eat healthy, exercise more.

By *lceeWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

I eat healthily, I don’t drink, I run ultra-marathons so train for that four times a week, hike or cycle once a week, HIIT 4 times a week, Krav twice a week and even medieval combat for six hours once a fortnight.

I’m not technically obese any more but I am at the high end of overweight. Even when I only had 17% body fat (which is very low for a woman), I was still overweight.

However, despite the activity and the healthy diet, if I, say, tear my achilles and therefore need non-emergency surgery, my CCG won’t let me go on the waiting list for six months, or until my weight goes down by 10%. Do you know how hard it is to lose 10% of your body weight when you’re already training and eating right?

So I’ll lose at least six months of training time, which will likely give me enough time for bad habits to set in and probably have me put on weight.

This is a crazy situation. There shouldn’t be any judgement of people for their own choices. We all make poor decisions, and those decisions will be different from each other’s. Let’s just park the judgemental attitudes and holier-than-thou preaching at people and let them get on with their lives in peace!

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Part of the problem is that food is so very tasty...

Seriously though, there is little in the way of healthy convenience food. If you are lacking in time and want to just grab something quick, it is unlikely to be healthy. Add to that that there is so much sugar and salt added to things... bizzarly most sweet stuff seems to have added salt and most savoury has added sugar.

Another issue though is that people are not as active as they used to be. Many kids don't "go out" with their friends, they just do everything online.

Cal

over a year ago

"I eat healthily, I don’t drink, I run ultra-marathons so train for that four times a week, hike or cycle once a week, HIIT 4 times a week, Krav twice a week and even medieval combat for six hours once a fortnight.

I’m not technically obese any more but I am at the high end of overweight. Even when I only had 17% body fat (which is very low for a woman), I was still overweight.

However, despite the activity and the healthy diet, if I, say, tear my achilles and therefore need non-emergency surgery, my CCG won’t let me go on the waiting list for six months, or until my weight goes down by 10%. Do you know how hard it is to lose 10% of your body weight when you’re already training and eating right?

So I’ll lose at least six months of training time, which will likely give me enough time for bad habits to set in and probably have me put on weight.

This is a crazy situation. There shouldn’t be any judgement of people for their own choices. We all make poor decisions, and those decisions will be different from each other’s. Let’s just park the judgemental attitudes and holier-than-thou preaching at people and let them get on with their lives in peace! "

The only problem with that is, that we all have to pay for it, via funding for the NHS. So someone who looks after thereselves has to pay for people who abuse there bodies and who are more of a burden on the NHS.

over a year ago

"Rubbish. Drink more water won't do a thing, even a bottle of only has a few hundred calories. It's caused by lazy parents who over feed there children. Fat parents = fat kids. Average weight parents = average weight children.

Banning soft drinks, sweets or putting taxes will not change a thing. Even changing the foods to healthy foods won't change it.

Parents need to crack down on the fat ones, no snacks during the day or evening, none. Breakfast, lunch and tea that is it. Make them do exercise until they loose it, make smaller portions.

I have friends who are normal weight and ones who are large with children, you can spot what is causing it in 5 minutes with them."

Oh to open people's eyes.

over a year ago

"I'm overweight but I walk, jog, swim and cycle! I've even been known to do the odd marathon

The efforts there, no excuses but I do have a wide arse and thick thighs is that a medical condition ??

"

I use to be active but not watching my diet . Is 70% diet and the remaining is activities . But now I am active and careful with my diet and Works !

over a year ago

"I'm overweight but I walk, jog, swim and cycle! I've even been known to do the odd marathon

I use to be active but not watching my diet . Is 70% diet and the remaining is activities . But now I am active and careful with my diet and Works ! "

Before i had hormonal issues, i too believed in the eat less, exercise more mantra. However, it is often more complex than that.

over a year ago

I use to be active but not watching my diet . Is 70% diet and the remaining is activities . But now I am active and careful with my diet and Works ! "

I like chocolate and chunky chips

So I still have a bit of those nice things but just try to exercise more when I've overindulged to try and keep my weight under control

By *lceeWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"I eat healthily, I don’t drink, I run ultra-marathons so train for that four times a week, hike or cycle once a week, HIIT 4 times a week, Krav twice a week and even medieval combat for six hours once a fortnight.

This is a crazy situation. There shouldn’t be any judgement of people for their own choices. We all make poor decisions, and those decisions will be different from each other’s. Let’s just park the judgemental attitudes and holier-than-thou preaching at people and let them get on with their lives in peace!

The only problem with that is, that we all have to pay for it, via funding for the NHS. So someone who looks after thereselves has to pay for people who abuse there bodies and who are more of a burden on the NHS."

We’re all a burden on the NHS one way or another. Whether it’s the lycra-clad, keen bean who ends up with creaking joints, torn tendons and hip replacements at the age of 50 (or a triple heart bypass due to putting it under unnecessary strain by running too much - true story) or the couch potato who prefers Netflix and chocolate binges with heart disease and diabetes. You can try to live clean but it doesn’t always work out...scapegoating a specific sector in society has never worked, in the history of mankind.

over a year ago

I use to be active but not watching my diet . Is 70% diet and the remaining is activities . But now I am active and careful with my diet and Works !

Before i had hormonal issues, i too believed in the eat less, exercise more mantra. However, it is often more complex than that.

"

yes you right! X

over a year ago

I like chocolate and chunky chips

So I still have a bit of those nice things but just try to exercise more when I've overindulged to try and keep my weight under control "

Is so hard ! Xx

By *radleywigginsMan
over a year ago

northwest

Poor diet

Hormonal imbalance

Excess alcohol

Try hypothyroidism!!

It's thyroxine - out of balance (i grouped that with diabetes insulin dependent, polycystic ovaries, peri and menopause together re hormones)."

These are conditions which mean you have to eat less and exercise more.

It’s part of the management (treatment) of a condition. Not an excuse.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

This is a crazy situation. There shouldn’t be any judgement of people for their own choices. We all make poor decisions, and those decisions will be different from each other’s. Let’s just park the judgemental attitudes and holier-than-thou preaching at people and let them get on with their lives in peace! "

Which Ultra Marathons have you run?

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

I am obese yes that’s what my bmi says

I can still run 2.35km in under 15 mins, cycle 6km in 15mins and row a km in 5 mins

Yes I have a big belly and arse and I am trying to cut out the crap that I eat.

over a year ago

Poor diet

Hormonal imbalance

Excess alcohol

Try hypothyroidism!!

It's thyroxine - out of balance (i grouped that with diabetes insulin dependent, polycystic ovaries, peri and menopause together re hormones).

It’s part of the management (treatment) of a condition. Not an excuse. "

My point is that there are conditions that cause weight gain outside of the image of Mr or Mrs fatty stuffing another cake in their gob.

over a year ago

Poor diet

Hormonal imbalance

Excess alcohol

Try hypothyroidism!!

It’s part of the management (treatment) of a condition. Not an excuse. "

Btw do you know how difficult it is to manage your weight with one of these, or other conditions?

Do you know how demoralising it is to work hard at diet control and physical activity increased, to lose less than a pound a month because you already eat healthily but you try different methods to no avail?

The only time i lose the odd ounce is when i increase my protein and lower my carbs (and my carbs lie within recommendations).

Weight management is complex!

over a year ago

Poor diet

Hormonal imbalance

Excess alcohol

Try hypothyroidism!!

It’s part of the management (treatment) of a condition. Not an excuse.

My point is that there are conditions that cause weight gain outside of the image of Mr or Mrs fatty stuffing another cake in their gob."

Oh and I'm not judging the overeaters either as there may be factors there. I'm just trying to make a point about the perception some people have about overweight or obese people.

By *lbert_shlossedMan
over a year ago

Manchester

I'm willing to wager a large amount that if you drop anybody off on a small island in the outer Hebrides they'll lose weight!.

By *inkerbell67Woman
over a year ago

Clacton on sea essex

I bet you dont ,if you have underlying medical conditions..

By *lbert_shlossedMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"I bet you dont ,if you have underlying medical conditions.."

Did you ever watch ed Stafford marooned and naked?.

Dropped off for 60 days with a video camera, an expert survivalist.

He lost 2 stones .

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Under lying medical conditions do make it easier to put on weight and harder to lose it, especially some medications that are used to treat them.

However, I have PCOS and type 2 diabetes. I did a lot of research about inflammatory foods and foods my body could not tolerate. I went in a low carb diet and did lose a lot of weight but I let myself slip back into bad eating and pot a lot of it back on.

Medication and illnesses do not always mean you can't lose weight, just that it is harder and you have to make big lifestyle changes which can be difficult to sustain.

By *lbert_shlossedMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"Under lying medical conditions do make it easier to put on weight and harder to lose it, especially some medications that are used to treat them.

However, I have PCOS and type 2 diabetes. I did a lot of research about inflammatory foods and foods my body could not tolerate. I went in a low carb diet and did lose a lot of weight but I let myself slip back into bad eating and pot a lot of it back on.

Medication and illnesses do not always mean you can't lose weight, just that it is harder and you have to make big lifestyle changes which can be difficult to sustain. "

Exactly.

I don't know much about dieting myself but I know a bit about physics, last time I looked there's no underlying medical conditions that break the laws of physics but there's some that make those laws harder to reach.

Energy in minus energy out and like nearly every other form of life we store energy (hydrogen, carbon and oxygen) for use later. You gotta use it to lose it

Post new Message to Thread