Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Good grief

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"Grief, I’ve learned, is really just love. It’s all the love you want to give but cannot. All of that unspent love gathers up in the corners of your eyes, the lump in your throat, and in that hollow part of your chest. Grief is just love with no place to go."

Just read this. Ouch and ooooft.

Is grief good?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

Its nice to let out. but you never lose it all.

over a year ago

"Its nice to let out. but you never lose it all. "

Was thinking about your sister today

over a year ago

Sometimes all you can do is cry. But crying is healing.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I think you need to grieve. If it was in a bucket. To begin with the bucket overflows with it, eventually you can contain it within the bucket. After a long time it’s well contained however it can manifest itself on certain anniversaries or triggered by a memory.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"Its nice to let out. but you never lose it all.

Was thinking about your sister today "

Would have been her birthday this Wednesday.

By *MP3Man
over a year ago

Between Scylla and Charybdis

""Grief, I’ve learned, is really just love. It’s all the love you want to give but cannot. All of that unspent love gathers up in the corners of your eyes, the lump in your throat, and in that hollow part of your chest. Grief is just love with no place to go."

Is grief good?"

Grief can be very cleansing. There's very little that can cleanse your soul, but grief can.

over a year ago

"I think you need to grieve. If it was in a bucket. To begin with the bucket overflows with it, eventually you can contain it within the bucket. After a long time it’s well contained however it can manifest itself on certain anniversaries or triggered by a memory.

"

For the first time in a lot of years I had proper tears in my eyes a couple of weeks back.

I lost my grandad when I was young, I was just laid in bed thinking about my life and the things going on. It brought tears to my eyes wishing that he was still here just so I could tell him he was going to be a great-grandad.

over a year ago

I struggle with grief. I'm quite happy to show every other emotion but can't seem to grieve in the popular sense of the word like others seem to do

By *s_macWoman
over a year ago

Traffic land

""Grief, I’ve learned, is really just love. It’s all the love you want to give but cannot. All of that unspent love gathers up in the corners of your eyes, the lump in your throat, and in that hollow part of your chest. Grief is just love with no place to go."

Is grief good?"

I remember reading that about a year after losing my Dad (Oct 2015). And it did make sense.

I don’t know if grief is good, but there are things you can learn from it. I’m hopeless at it though, I’m a total ostrich about my own grief and push it away and I know that one day it is probably going to bite me in the arse, but I’m just still not prepared to go there.

By *umpsimusMan
over a year ago

Camberley

. . . And it can still catch you out years later.

Trawling the web for Neapolitan songs I stumbled across one which sounded just like my mother and aunt when they stood in the kitchen having a heated discussion.

It cut me dead, floods of tears . . 33 years after my mum died.

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"

I've never thought of it like that. It's quite lovely.

It's important to grieve, much better than leaving it festering inside you until one day you can't hold it in or pretend anymore and it all comes out!!

By *lueWonderMan
over a year ago

Preston.....ish

Only love can hurt like this....

One of my favourite song lyrics of all time.

over a year ago

Is grief good?"

No.

Tiny budda quote methinks?

Grief is individual.

That is an over simplification.

over a year ago

"Sometimes all you can do is cry. But crying is healing. "

Crying isn't healing. Necessarily.

It's an emotional response or release.

over a year ago

Grief and thinking of who I've lost makes me mad, not cry

over a year ago

Grief. It can be so overwhelming sometimes. I'll go weeks without crying and then I'll have a day of it. It can also make me so angry, angry at what my sister had to go through.

L x

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

"Grief. It can be so overwhelming sometimes. I'll go weeks without crying and then I'll have a day of it. It can also make me so angry, angry at what my sister had to go through.

L x"

over a year ago

"Grief. It can be so overwhelming sometimes. I'll go weeks without crying and then I'll have a day of it. It can also make me so angry, angry at what my sister had to go through.

L x"

I don't know if that ever goes completely x

over a year ago

Is grief good?

No.

Grief is individual.

That is an over simplification."

Budda or Facebook?

But yeah, the other 2 lines are spot on.

over a year ago

Is grief good?

No.

Grief is individual.

That is an over simplification."

It is an oversimplification, it’s just a quote, hence my question. I don’t know that it is actually saying that grief is good, though, that was my slight twisting to be able to post the thread header/title that played on a well known phrase. And I don’t think it negates that grief is individual. It was really a starting point to talk about grief not an all encompassing definition.

What’s tiny Buddha? Apart from the literal. Is it some meme type feel good panacea thing? The quote was sent to me, so I don’t (and haven’t googled yet) know the origin.

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

Is grief good?"

I have seen this on FB, and it is true, you still feel love and in my case the loss of that love, you can’t tell the people how you feel as they are no longer here, it wells up in your chest, feels like it’s strangling you then makes it’s way out your eyes, running didn your cheeks in droplets of muted emotion

over a year ago

And grief isn’t just for bereavement, but lost relationships, or indeed grief of what can’t be and perhaps never was.

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

"And grief isn’t just for bereavement, but lost relationships, or indeed grief of what can’t be and perhaps never was. "

True, I cry for the life I had and the life I should of had, also for the words I never got to say....

over a year ago

As no two people grieve the same way I'm not sure if you can definitively say if grief is good or not. Personally, I have grieved very differently for the different people in my life that i have lost... each process was painful but necessary for me to move on with my life. Grief has also shaped me and how I now live my life... i hope for the better, so for me grief probably was good despite the pain it caused...and still does on down days x

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

It’s painful and difficult and it’s changes you forever when it is an important person in your life. It hurts just as much today as it did then. I really don’t know.

over a year ago

I like this idea that it's good .. yes it hurts like hell and can be all consuming, I was taught when I was young 'boys don't cry' you know the stiff upper lip mantra... and that did me no good whatsoever. .. luckily I found as I grew up there was a better way

By *he Mac LassWoman
over a year ago

Hefty Hideaway

Grief is a bitch.

Lots of love to all currently suffering. Tis true. Time heals. It just feels like a long time getting there.

Post new Message to Thread