Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Are you a materialistic person?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I am not and I dont need lots of things to be happy, what about you?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Its all relative.

By *inkyLondonpairCouple
over a year ago

London

I'm a philosophical materialist...

By *hinypants77Man
over a year ago

Leeds

Nup. As long as I’ve got my solid gold house and millions of dollars in the bank, money doesn’t mean much.

When you have a lot it’s not a big deal when you don’t have enough it’s tough.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I don’t have the money to be materialistic, but my mr is very much so. He works hard though and enjoys nice things. X

over a year ago

No im a typical yorkie i hate spending money if i dont have to

over a year ago

Yes I am. I’m not one to brag but .... na

By *nowwhitexxx1Woman
over a year ago

Hull

I’m not materialistic... but I do work hard and like to save up for things like holidays and breaks away!

over a year ago

I'm not materialistic in the slightest. I work hard and di have a few nice things, but my no means do they bring me true happiness.

You can't buy happiness.

By *ifty grades of shadyCouple
over a year ago

Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight

Not in the slightest. Have had a very liberal attitude to money until very recently, gonna take an interest more now as there are things (and people ) we'd like to do that require mainland UK travel, the Solent is the world's most expensive stretch of water, so need to fund that.

over a year ago

Yes but only because I can afford it. If I couldn't afford it I don't think it would bother me too much. Generally the more people earn in their life the more materialistic you become

over a year ago

No, not really.

There was a time in my life in the 1980's when i was worth well north of £1m. Lost most of it in the depression of the 1990's. Did it make me materialistic ? No, because i was always fully aware i could just loose it all and very nearly did.

Being materialistic and being able to earn large amounts of cash are not actually the same thing. Materialistic peeps will hold on to there wealth at any cost because they know full well they havn't got the ability to regain it if they loose it. True buisiness peeps know they can make it back if they loose it.

over a year ago

I probably am materialistic due to I enjoy buying things and depending what is like show off ie guitars

By *icassolifelikeMan
over a year ago

Luton

Pay for what you get. If I need something for my hobbies it’s top dollar. Clothes mid-range. North-Face, Levi’s, Polo etc

Though I have started shopping at Aldi’s!!

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"I am not and I dont need lots of things to be happy, what about you? "

Not really, however if I buy something I do tons of research to ensure that I am getting good value and it's very reliable if that means buying the best I can afford I will.

You get what you pay for,that said I love Aldi.

But there is nothing wrong with wanting and having nice things,it's excessive greed I don't like.

over a year ago

"No, not really.

There was a time in my life in the 1980's when i was worth well north of £1m. Lost most of it in the depression of the 1990's. Did it make me materialistic ? No, because i was always fully aware i could just loose it all and very nearly did.

Being materialistic and being able to earn large amounts of cash are not actually the same thing. Materialistic peeps will hold on to there wealth at any cost because they know full well they havn't got the ability to regain it if they loose it. True buisiness peeps know they can make it back if they loose it."

I agree they are different but the more you earn you tend to upgrade....

A better car, holiday, house etc. That's materialistic

over a year ago

Totally. I own 2 cats

By *aughtyLittleMissWoman
over a year ago

Aberdeen

"Totally. I own 2 cats "

Nobody owns cats, cats own you. They just let you think you're their owner but they bend your mind to their will

over a year ago

"Totally. I own 2 cats

Nobody owns cats, cats own you. They just let you think you're their owner but they bend your mind to their will"

Is it what you think or what they want you to think ?

over a year ago

Aberdeen

"Totally. I own 2 cats

Nobody owns cats, cats own you. They just let you think you're their owner but they bend your mind to their will

Is it what you think or what they want you to think ? "

I just asked my cat, she just looked at me with disdain and stalked off with her tail in the air. Now I'm not sure what to think....

over a year ago

"Totally. I own 2 cats

I just asked my cat, she just looked at me with disdain and stalked off with her tail in the air. Now I'm not sure what to think...."

Don't think too much and bend yourself I'll fuck you ass that will teach you how to become a good cook

over a year ago

I'm not (mrs) I'd much rather spend my money on making memories. The male half however is quite materlistic but works hard to buy nice things.

over a year ago

"Totally. I own 2 cats

I just asked my cat, she just looked at me with disdain and stalked off with her tail in the air. Now I'm not sure what to think....

Don't think too much and bend yourself I'll fuck you ass that will teach you how to become a good cook "

Can she then make us a mean dinner?

over a year ago

Aberdeen

"Totally. I own 2 cats

Don't think too much and bend yourself I'll fuck you ass that will teach you how to become a good cook

Can she then make us a mean dinner? "

If only it was that easy to learn to cook, I'd be an expert by now!

over a year ago

We spend money like we no like money

over a year ago

"Totally. I own 2 cats

Can she then make us a mean dinner?

If only it was that easy to learn to cook, I'd be an expert by now!"

Keep trying

over a year ago

"No, not really.

Being materialistic and being able to earn large amounts of cash are not actually the same thing. Materialistic peeps will hold on to there wealth at any cost because they know full well they havn't got the ability to regain it if they loose it. True buisiness peeps know they can make it back if they loose it.

A better car, holiday, house etc. That's materialistic "

Not in my case. Same house, yes a different car, but that was 30 years ago lol. And yes a different Motorbike, just keeping up to date though, i don't think it's the same as being materialistic.

over a year ago

I used to be. Then my daughter came along. Now I'd happily live in rags in a skip just to give her everything she needs.

over a year ago

"No, not really.

A better car, holiday, house etc. That's materialistic

Not in my case. Same house, yes a different car, but that was 30 years ago lol. And yes a different Motorbike, just keeping up to date though, i don't think it's the same as being materialistic."

Take your point.

For what it's worth I'd describe materialistic people as buying what they can't afford though I accept others think it's shopping in Armani etc

over a year ago

I admit, I used to be but then I married into a very wealthy family, was ferried around in a Rolls Royce, designer everything, sports cars, speed boats the lot. Now, I appreciate the finer things, yes, but I don't have to have the best of everything.

over a year ago

"I admit, I used to be but then I married into a very wealthy family, was ferried around in a Rolls Royce, designer everything, sports cars, speed boats the lot. Now, I appreciate the finer things, yes, but I don't have to have the best of everything. "

I said the same but on reflection I wonder if either of us would say that if we never had the means to buy what we want

over a year ago

Not remotely! Not into anything material at all. We drive boring cars. Have a house that fits our family. Don’t wear designer clothes. Just not bothered.

I’d much rather have experiences than possessions.

MrsH

X

over a year ago

"Not remotely! Not into anything material at all. We drive boring cars. Have a house that fits our family. Don’t wear designer clothes. Just not bothered.

MrsH

X"

I like nice things but I still have experiences.

over a year ago

"Not remotely! Not into anything material at all. We drive boring cars. Have a house that fits our family. Don’t wear designer clothes. Just not bothered.

MrsH

X

I like nice things but I still have experiences."

It’s an either/or thing here with 3 money sapping kids I’d rather spend it on them and fun than things!

over a year ago

MrsH

X

I like nice things but I still have experiences.

It’s an either/or thing here with 3 money sapping kids I’d rather spend it on them and fun than things!"

100% when you put it in that context

I think for a lot of people it goes in cycles, certainly has for me.

There have been periods when I was skint (narrowly avoided bankruptcy) and periods I have been comfortable

I grew up in a council house in one of the worst areas of the east end of Glasgow where people viewed you as flash if you had matching socks

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

Yes , and we’ve worked bloody hard to be able to be .

Having said that we both drive second hand cars and shop at cheaper supermarkets , so not in every sense .

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

I’m not, we didn’t have anything when I was younger and I think it has made me happy with my lot, I don’t earn thousands, I rarely buy clothes or shoes, makeup etc, my car is a little Juke, I haven’t been abroad for 16 years, but my family have whatever try mend to be happy, materialistic things mean nothing to me.

over a year ago

"Yes , and we’ve worked bloody hard to be able to be .

Having said that we both drive second hand cars and shop at cheaper supermarkets , so not in every sense . "

I shop at cheaper supermarkets as well. That's just sensible imo

over a year ago

"I’m not, we didn’t have anything when I was younger and I think it has made me happy with my lot, I don’t earn thousands, I rarely buy clothes or shoes, makeup etc, my car is a little Juke, I haven’t been abroad for 16 years, but my family have whatever try mend to be happy, materialistic things mean nothing to me. "

This is where I disagree with what qualifies as materialistic....

I'm the same as you, basically I live within my means, my means have fluctuated through the years. Recently I can buy suits from Boss or Armani but in the past I've bought a suit from Asda.

I believe people who are materialistic are this who buy what they can't afford.

over a year ago

No not really, I like nice things but in the past I've always scrimped and saved for them. Now I can afford them but would rather be where I was a few years ago

By *lik and PaulCouple
over a year ago

Flagrante

Things have never had meaning for me so I suppose that means I'm not materialistic. I would rather spend money on experiences than stuff.

over a year ago

"No not really, I like nice things but in the past I've always scrimped and saved for them. Now I can afford them but would rather be where I was a few years ago "

Sorry I don't believe that...

So you'd rather go back to scrimping and saving?

Your essentially saying you'd rather have less money haha

over a year ago

"No not really, I like nice things but in the past I've always scrimped and saved for them. Now I can afford them but would rather be where I was a few years ago

Your essentially saying you'd rather have less money haha"

Who’s scrimping and saving?! Not me love! Just having lots of fun and lots of money in the bank. I don’t feel the need to display how wealthy I am

over a year ago

I am materialistic but often wish I wasn't. Strange huh. Trouble is, once you're in it's hard to break but, if I lost it all I wouldn't bother trying to get it all back. I almost broke the chains at the beginning of the 90s but circumstances changed and I didn't take the step.

over a year ago

"No not really, I like nice things but in the past I've always scrimped and saved for them. Now I can afford them but would rather be where I was a few years ago

Who’s scrimping and saving?! Not me love! Just having lots of fun and lots of money in the bank. I don’t feel the need to display how wealthy I am "

I never quoted you, I was speaking the another poster haha

By *ineMan
over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

I live in a cave on a beach

Not much else I really need....

over a year ago

over a year ago

I'm materialistically avarice but it's somewhat not my fault, I just want a little fisherman's cottage in Cornwall but alas they're hideously expensive.

over a year ago

Your essentially saying you'd rather have less money haha"

Yes I would. To be where I am now I've had 3 very close family members die. I would rather have no money and have them back

over a year ago

Yes I would. To be where I am now I've had 3 very close family members die. I would rather have no money and have them back "

I think everyone would do that mate, I certainly would but that's another subject

By *ast_And_CuriousMan
over a year ago

Sevenoaks

Silk is a nice material. Not so keen on suede.

over a year ago

This is a tough question..... do I like nice things ? yes

Will I put myself in debt to have them ? No

From the age of 24-28 .... I lived by the motto Yolo... yolo = you only lived once.

I wasn’t happier....

Now I live by the motto of One...

You only need one of anything... one house , one car , one girlfriend.....

The only thing I will always spend money on is handmade suits , cuff links, ties , and shoes...

I work too hard to buy a suit off the rack.

over a year ago

"This is a tough question..... do I like nice things ? yes

From the age of 24-28 .... I lived by the motto Yolo... yolo = you only lived once.

I wasn’t happier....

The only thing I will always spend money on is handmade suits , cuff links, ties , and shoes...

I work too hard to buy a suit off the rack."

Bollocks anyone who buys handmade suits doesn’t work hard haha...

I too own some handmade suits

over a year ago

I wasn’t happier....

I work too hard to buy a suit off the rack."

One girlfriend who swings would be good

over a year ago

I wasn’t happier....

I work too hard to buy a suit off the rack.

One girlfriend who swings would be good "

Yes but unfortunately I only meet monogamous women on swinging sites....

over a year ago

Who’s scrimping and saving?! Not me love! Just having lots of fun and lots of money in the bank. I don’t feel the need to display how wealthy I am

I never quoted you, I was speaking the another poster haha"

Oops. Wine and sun. Bad idea sorry

over a year ago

over a year ago

100% definitely Yes, I think

over a year ago

I'm barely a person

over a year ago

"I'm barely a person"

Haha

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

No, but I have very expensive taste!

By *tirluvMan
over a year ago

the right frame of mind -London

As I have usually moved either country or city at least once every 8 years, I have gotten used to saying goodbye to things little needed or used. As a result, acquiring things has never really been of interest to me so long as i have the necessities for a comfortable life. I don't need the newest or best of everything and live by the philosophy of it's fine if it gets the job done.

over a year ago

No I'm not I like to keep my life simple. The more you have the more complicated your life is!

By *tirluvMan
over a year ago

the right frame of mind -London

"No I'm not I like to keep my life simple. The more you have the more complicated your life is! "

Tell that to my Harem

By *ittleAcornMan
over a year ago

visiting the beach

I'm similar to many of the above. I do buy things I don't really need, but it's because I have the means to do so.

If I had to pull my horns in, I could, my early life training prepared me for that! But I would miss being able to buy nice things.

I've been buying quite a bit of art recently, definitely not "needed" but wanted.

However, a lot of my clothes are from Peacocks or even Lidl (great value white t-shirts!).

So probably not in the materialistic bracket?

By *m3232Man
over a year ago

maidenhead

There’s show money and real money two very different things

Post new Message to Thread