Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Job for life?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I have just been composing a new CV and was staggered to find that I have had well over 15 jobs since I left school in 1981

God knows how it got to that many but variety is the spice of life hey!

So my question is 'is your current job your true vocation and if not, what would it be?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I have just been composing a new CV and was staggered to find that I have had well over 15 jobs since I left school in 1981

So my question is 'is your current job your true vocation and if not, what would it be? "

I’m not at my ultimate goal in my career yet. But current job is somewhat like vacation(paid for when outbound)

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

No it isn't.

If I had choices to make again I would be an historian or archaeologist.

over a year ago

I want to be a teacher. Would mean going to uni and I can’t afford to not work full time. And in Scotland if you do teaching through open uni, you cannot teach in Scotland. Fantastic

over a year ago

"I want to be a teacher. Would mean going to uni and I can’t afford to not work full time. And in Scotland if you do teaching through open uni, you cannot teach in Scotland. Fantastic "

Have you thought about teaching overseas?

By *att71Man
over a year ago

Bristol

Joined rbe RAF 28 years ago and will retire in 8 years time. So i have gad a job for life and got to do what i wanted to do as well....

over a year ago

"Joined rbe RAF 28 years ago and will retire in 8 years time. So i have gad a job for life and got to do what i wanted to do as well...."

By *att71Man
over a year ago

Bristol

"Joined rbe RAF 28 years ago and will retire in 8 years time. So i have gad a job for life and got to do what i wanted to do as well....

"

over a year ago

"I want to be a teacher. Would mean going to uni and I can’t afford to not work full time. And in Scotland if you do teaching through open uni, you cannot teach in Scotland. Fantastic

Have you thought about teaching overseas?"

I’d love too, but I love scotland and if I were to do it, it would be for a year. I could never move abroad

By *andonmessMan
over a year ago

A world all of his own

I "wanted" to be in the RAF, but after 1 year of A levels, I knew I wasn't going to make it. So, as a VERY naïve 17 year old, I took a massive change in direction, applied for 2 apprenticeships, got 1 of them and have been in the same job since (coming up for 26 years).

So long as the place stays open for the next 14 years, I'll retire having truly had a job for (my working) life.

over a year ago

"I want to be a teacher. Would mean going to uni and I can’t afford to not work full time. And in Scotland if you do teaching through open uni, you cannot teach in Scotland. Fantastic

I’d love too, but I love scotland and if I were to do it, it would be for a year. I could never move abroad"

I thought I was only moving. Away for 9 months

8 years so far

Once you move, your perspective changes and it’s addictive to travel more and more

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Currently I am working to make my job my vocatìon, just need more knowledge and a few qualifications behind me.

over a year ago

I’d love too, but I love scotland and if I were to do it, it would be for a year. I could never move abroad

I thought I was only moving. Away for 9 months

8 years so far

Once you move, your perspective changes and it’s addictive to travel more and more"

Nah I couldn’t do it. I love being settled in my house and I couldn’t leave my four dogs for so long. And I doubt I’d be able to take them with me if I went anywhere

over a year ago

"I "wanted" to be in the RAF, but after 1 year of A levels, I knew I wasn't going to make it. So, as a VERY naïve 17 year old, I took a massive change in direction, applied for 2 apprenticeships, got 1 of them and have been in the same job since (coming up for 26 years).

So long as the place stays open for the next 14 years, I'll retire having truly had a job for (my working) life. "

No offence but that sounds like my idea of a nightmare lol

over a year ago

I've done everything from nursing to office work to labouring and factory work.

Long term I've been a sound engineering for about 20 years now. The pay isn't great so I usually have two jobs, but I love it to bits and feel lucky as fuck.

By *ust4fun26Couple
over a year ago

West Yorkshire

I’ve had so many jobs I’ve lost count, I’m only 30! Some of them have been the same jobs just with a different company and some have been totally different to the last. I still don’t know what I want to do but for now I’m happy

By *andonmessMan
over a year ago

A world all of his own

"I "wanted" to be in the RAF, but after 1 year of A levels, I knew I wasn't going to make it. So, as a VERY naïve 17 year old, I took a massive change in direction, applied for 2 apprenticeships, got 1 of them and have been in the same job since (coming up for 26 years).

So long as the place stays open for the next 14 years, I'll retire having truly had a job for (my working) life.

No offence but that sounds like my idea of a nightmare lol"

No offence taken. I've moved a great many times within the company, all essentially doing the same thing but my day to day job entails a lot of variation of it's never the same day twice.

over a year ago

I’ve done a few jobs from H&S, QC and IT and have been lucky enough to rise near the top in each and got the rewards that those bring... 6 years ago I thought fuck it... and ever since just being doing what makes me happy.

Mistake?

Maybe as I’ve eaten into my savings but you can’t take it with you

Reality check: best move I ever did as I maybe a bit poorer but I have my health which I know in the so called pressure jobs I would have been high risk given the number of colleagues who were ‘casualties’ since I left.

Each to their own is my motto

over a year ago

I've had several jobs outside of the pub trade, but have been in this game one way or another for 40 years

Shit that's frightening

over a year ago

I'm on a slight break from my job (senior carer) and was going to do nursing. My dad spoke to me a few weeks ago and asked if I would join the family business. Both are jobs for life. Nursing is what my heart says but financially I would be crazy to turn my dad's offer down

over a year ago

"I'm on a slight break from my job (senior carer) and was going to do nursing. My dad spoke to me a few weeks ago and asked if I would join the family business. Both are jobs for life. Nursing is what my heart says but financially I would be crazy to turn my dad's offer down "

Choose wisely and no regrets

over a year ago

"I'm on a slight break from my job (senior carer) and was going to do nursing. My dad spoke to me a few weeks ago and asked if I would join the family business. Both are jobs for life. Nursing is what my heart says but financially I would be crazy to turn my dad's offer down

Choose wisely and no regrets"

It's so hard. I'm 50/50 at the moment. I feel no matter what I choose I'll regret it

By *iSTARessWoman
over a year ago

London

Very much living the dream

(No pension, holiday or sick pay, security, guaranteed work or stability but wouldn't have it any other way )

over a year ago

"Joined rbe RAF 28 years ago and will retire in 8 years time. So i have gad a job for life and got to do what i wanted to do as well...."

So jealous, from the age of 5 I wanted to go in the RAF. Passed everything to get in then broke my neck and had to put it off. Ten years later applied again and was told I was too old (rules changed since then)

Five years ago looked into Reserves and because of a now medical condition, can't even apply for that.

Obviously something or someone somewhere decided I wasn't meant to go in the RAF

By *andonmessMan
over a year ago

A world all of his own

"I'm on a slight break from my job (senior carer) and was going to do nursing. My dad spoke to me a few weeks ago and asked if I would join the family business. Both are jobs for life. Nursing is what my heart says but financially I would be crazy to turn my dad's offer down

It's so hard. I'm 50/50 at the moment. I feel no matter what I choose I'll regret it "

The potential problem arises with the old saying, never work for friends or family.

It's not cast iron, it sometimes does work brilliantly, but if it does go wrong...it gets horrifically messy, fast.

over a year ago

It's so hard. I'm 50/50 at the moment. I feel no matter what I choose I'll regret it "

It’s your life so it’s best to consider the options you currently have but if they aren’t right it’s then best to look at what you really want in life.. I regret a decision I thought was right 10 years ago but it’s to late now to rectify. Good luck

over a year ago

"Very much living the dream

(No pension, holiday or sick pay, security, guaranteed work or stability but wouldn't have it any other way )"

over a year ago

It's so hard. I'm 50/50 at the moment. I feel no matter what I choose I'll regret it

The potential problem arises with the old saying, never work for friends or family.

It's not cast iron, it sometimes does work brilliantly, but if it does go wrong...it gets horrifically messy, fast. "

It's a well established business and my family is close knit so it wouldn't be a problem. I think I would just miss what I'm doing at the moment

over a year ago

"I'm on a slight break from my job (senior carer) and was going to do nursing. My dad spoke to me a few weeks ago and asked if I would join the family business. Both are jobs for life. Nursing is what my heart says but financially I would be crazy to turn my dad's offer down "

Another way to look at it ..if the family business is so successful you will end up with a nice nest egg no matter what you do.. choose wisely and be happy... we all just get one shot at our lives

over a year ago

It’s your life so it’s best to consider the options you currently have but if they aren’t right it’s then best to look at what you really want in life.. I regret a decision I thought was right 10 years ago but it’s to late now to rectify. Good luck "

I want both equally as much. I'm lucky I can do both at any point if I choose the other one. Thank you

over a year ago

It’s your life so it’s best to consider the options you currently have but if they aren’t right it’s then best to look at what you really want in life.. I regret a decision I thought was right 10 years ago but it’s to late now to rectify. Good luck

I want both equally as much. I'm lucky I can do both at any point if I choose the other one. Thank you "

No wonder your a ‘happy girl’ ... good luck with whatever you choose... it’s great to have viable options

over a year ago

Another way to look at it ..if the family business is so successful you will end up with a nice nest egg no matter what you do.. choose wisely and be happy... we all just get one shot at our lives "

He is going to open another premises and I would be in charge of running it with my brother so it's not just the financial side of things. It would change my life completely. I'm more confused now than when I came on here

over a year ago

I want both equally as much. I'm lucky I can do both at any point if I choose the other one. Thank you

No wonder your a ‘happy girl’ ... good luck with whatever you choose... it’s great to have viable options "

Yes I do honestly have the best life Thank you

over a year ago

Another way to look at it ..if the family business is so successful you will end up with a nice nest egg no matter what you do.. choose wisely and be happy... we all just get one shot at our lives

He is going to open another premises and I would be in charge of running it with my brother so it's not just the financial side of things. It would change my life completely. I'm more confused now than when I came on here "

No your not, it’s an easy choice and you will choose wisely

over a year ago

He is going to open another premises and I would be in charge of running it with my brother so it's not just the financial side of things. It would change my life completely. I'm more confused now than when I came on here

No your not, it’s an easy choice and you will choose wisely "

Which would you choose

over a year ago

Which would you choose "

It’s your choice, not mine unfortunately x

over a year ago

Which would you choose

It’s your choice, not mine unfortunately x"

I'm not asking you to make my decision for me I'm just asking

over a year ago

Which would you choose

I'm not asking you to make my decision for me I'm just asking "

I know but it’s really up to yourself... the paths in life we choose are the ones we tend to stroll down whether right or wrong.. I’ve chosen a few wrong ones in my time but that’s my choice and you got to accept it either way... good luck x

over a year ago

Which would you choose

I know but it’s really up to yourself... the paths in life we choose are the ones we tend to stroll down whether right or wrong.. I’ve chosen a few wrong ones in my time but that’s my choice and you got to accept it either way... good luck x "

I know that. I was just being nosey Thank you

over a year ago

Which would you choose

I know but it’s really up to yourself... the paths in life we choose are the ones we tend to stroll down whether right or wrong.. I’ve chosen a few wrong ones in my time but that’s my choice and you got to accept it either way... good luck x

I know that. I was just being nosey Thank you "

Hopefully you will make the choice that’s right for yourself... enjoy your hols x

over a year ago

I’ve worked for the NHS for 20 year s abd has a few different roles but done my current role on and off for 17 years in different hospitals.

I’m passionate about it and pretty sure I’ll be here until I retire. As long as my manager retires soon so I can get her role instead of wanting to commit murder most days

over a year ago

I've been in my job since I finished university kind of part of the furniture now

over a year ago

I’ve worked for several companies, then worked for myself for the last 10 years, I loved the variety. I’ve just started working for a company again, very hard to do after 10 years, so I negotiated yesterday that 1 day a week I’ll do my own stuff. Which feels more comfortable for me!

over a year ago

"I have just been composing a new CV and was staggered to find that I have had well over 15 jobs since I left school in 1981

So my question is 'is your current job your true vocation and if not, what would it be? "

Wtf was i doing in 1981

over a year ago

I’m still looking for my dream job; thought I had it a few years ago but it wasn’t to be

over a year ago

So my question is 'is your current job your true vocation and if not, what would it be?

Wtf was i doing in 1981 "

Were you even born?

over a year ago

I’m on my fourth

Been at my current for 28 years - 2 more years to go until I retire

By *rontier PsychiatristMan
over a year ago

Coventry

Yep, no one leaves my industry (especially in my grade). Good pay, good final sallery pension and a trade union that's has our back (because we have each other's backs). Once you in, your in. I have maybe another 30 years to do and I will be doing this till I retire like everyone else I work with.

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

I love my job and I wouldn’t want to do anything else now but I did always wanted to be a prison warden

By *eal Deal PartiesWoman
over a year ago

x

I love both my jobs.. Sales rep by day and naughty party planner by night.. love it xxx

over a year ago

I trained as an apprentice golf greenkeeper, but I haven't even stepped on a golf course in fifteen years. I work inspecting printed fabric at the moment, and even then this is not the type of printing that I am good at. I used to work in rotary screen printing, and I was a demon on the sample tables.

Ideally though, I would prefer to be working in the photography industry

over a year ago

My job is the best job iv ever had

By *os19Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

. May not sound like much but I really wanted to be a postman.If you are serious about finding another job you may want to get some CV advice from National Career Service as ideally a CV should be 2 pages long and relevant to the jobs you are applying for.I am guessing but with 15 jobs your CV will be probably more than 2 pages long.

over a year ago

I could stay in my job for life, it has a little variety. Other people there have been there for over 10 years. Im new though and don't feel I'm settled yet but who knows

over a year ago

So my question is 'is your current job your true vocation and if not, what would it be? . May not sound like much but I really wanted to be a postman.If you are serious about finding another job you may want to get some CV advice from National Career Service as ideally a CV should be 2 pages long and relevant to the jobs you are applying for.I am guessing but with 15 jobs your CV will be probably more than 2 pages long."

Thanks for the advice but i used to work for jobcentre plus so i am more than capable of cobbling together a cv that shows off my capabilities in their best light

By *os19Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

So my question is 'is your current job your true vocation and if not, what would it be? . May not sound like much but I really wanted to be a postman.If you are serious about finding another job you may want to get some CV advice from National Career Service as ideally a CV should be 2 pages long and relevant to the jobs you are applying for.I am guessing but with 15 jobs your CV will be probably more than 2 pages long.

Thanks for the advice but i used to work for jobcentre plus so i am more than capable of cobbling together a cv that shows off my capabilities in their best light"

. Well having worked for jobcentre plus you do know how to construct a CV and I apologise if any upset caused I am sure you would have come across plenty that wouldn’t know where to start.I still work for jobcentreplus 17 years and counting and the way things are going I wish I was a post man.

over a year ago

So my question is 'is your current job your true vocation and if not, what would it be? . May not sound like much but I really wanted to be a postman.If you are serious about finding another job you may want to get some CV advice from National Career Service as ideally a CV should be 2 pages long and relevant to the jobs you are applying for.I am guessing but with 15 jobs your CV will be probably more than 2 pages long.

Thanks for the advice but i used to work for jobcentre plus so i am more than capable of cobbling together a cv that shows off my capabilities in their best light. Well having worked for jobcentre plus you do know how to construct a CV and I apologise if any upset caused I am sure you would have come across plenty that wouldn’t know where to start.I still work for jobcentreplus 17 years and counting and the way things are going I wish I was a post man."

No upset caused ..

I wasn't asking for advice though

By *os19Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

Thanks for the advice but i used to work for jobcentre plus so i am more than capable of cobbling together a cv that shows off my capabilities in their best light. Well having worked for jobcentre plus you do know how to construct a CV and I apologise if any upset caused I am sure you would have come across plenty that wouldn’t know where to start.I still work for jobcentreplus 17 years and counting and the way things are going I wish I was a post man.

No upset caused ..

I wasn't asking for advice though "

. As long as no upset caused best of luck with everything

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Have been in my industry sector for 30 years now with various companies and for the most part have loved it.

If I had my time over again though I'd tell my 17 year old arrogant, thought he knew better self, not to leave the Royal Navy

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

I don't know.

One part of me wants to stay in the same sector but with a slight change in role. The other wants to go into medicine - I didn't because I was determined not to follow my family but now I'm a bit older and less rebellious I sometimes regret it.

over a year ago

I have choosen to live my dream instead of dreaming my life therefore I am team member at burger king !

#livingthedreamFully

over a year ago

"I have choosen to live my dream instead of dreaming my life therefore I am team member at burger king !

#livingthedreamFully"

#inspirationalclaptrap

over a year ago

"I have choosen to live my dream instead of dreaming my life therefore I am team member at burger king !

#livingthedreamFully

#inspirationalclaptrap"

over a year ago

My job is definitely a vocation but not sure I will be able to survive in it until retirement age

Dee

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan
over a year ago

Older Hot Bearded Guy

Meteorologist

over a year ago

I run several businesses so yes, I hope I and those I employ have a job for life,

over a year ago

Wtf was i doing in 1981

Were you even born? "

I was conducting covet ops before the world knew of me

over a year ago

I only do my current job for the money.... but after watching the movie Lord of War...

I honestly want to become a international arms dealer....

over a year ago

"I only do my current job for the money.... but after watching the movie Lord of War...

I honestly want to become a international arms dealer...."

I watched Debbie Does Dallas....

over a year ago

My current job pays the bills but I would love to be either a historian , archaeologist or a park ranger

over a year ago

"My current job pays the bills but I would love to be either a historian , archaeologist or a park ranger "

I hope you have a huge cock

over a year ago

"My current job pays the bills but I would love to be either a historian , archaeologist or a park ranger

I hope you have a huge cock "

It’s a wonder how ‘successful businessmen’ are such muppets

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

I never really had a specific career goal in mind. I went to uni and did my PGCE, then midway through my first placement realised I hated children. Went onto retail managment. I then joined the probation service working with offenders.

Now I work with vulnerable Leaving Care kids, and whilst it is challenging, for the most part it is amazingly rewarding, even if my car boot is full of pregnancy tests,condoms and sanitary wear!

over a year ago

"I never really had a specific career goal in mind. I went to uni and did my PGCE, then midway through my first placement realised I hated children. Went onto retail managment. I then joined the probation service working with offenders.

Now I work with vulnerable Leaving Care kids, and whilst it is challenging, for the most part it is amazingly rewarding, even if my car boot is full of pregnancy tests,condoms and sanitary wear!"

I think it’s great to get back in the evening and think ‘yes I made a difference today’

Well done you

over a year ago

Perhaps reconsider nursing if the bursary returns.

over a year ago

Perhaps reconsider nursing if the bursary returns."

It's not something that would sway me but thank you

over a year ago

Wtf was i doing in 1981

Were you even born?

I was conducting covet ops before the world knew of me "

Unlikely.. You cannot even spell it...

over a year ago

I think I would have made a great teacher toyed with the idea of re-training but never did I enjoy my current line if work but I to have had many jobs

over a year ago

"I never really had a specific career goal in mind. I went to uni and did my PGCE, then midway through my first placement realised I hated children. Went onto retail managment. I then joined the probation service working with offenders.

Now I work with vulnerable Leaving Care kids, and whilst it is challenging, for the most part it is amazingly rewarding, even if my car boot is full of pregnancy tests,condoms and sanitary wear!"

Can you please explain the term leaving care kids?

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

I’ve done the same job for 32 years across 3 different companies. A steady career path, climbing up the ladder to where I am now. Everyday is a different and the view from my office is sometimes breathtaking

Although have to admit the pressure is always on these days and I really don’t want to do it for another 10 years. If stacking shelves in Tesco paid as well I’d give it up tomorrow

over a year ago

Now I work with vulnerable Leaving Care kids, and whilst it is challenging, for the most part it is amazingly rewarding, even if my car boot is full of pregnancy tests,condoms and sanitary wear!

Can you please explain the term leaving care kids?"

An example: Those leaving foster parents as they are no longer children.

over a year ago

Can you please explain the term leaving care kids?

An example: Those leaving foster parents as they are no longer children."

Ok thank you

over a year ago

I know I’ll be in the same company till I choose to retire or curl over whatever comes first

Post new Message to Thread