Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Don't want to sound homophobic or anything

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

But how many gay prides do we actually need?

There is 162 prides scheduled for this year.

Don't get me wrong, I've been to a couple and they're a good laugh, but I don't think Martin Luther King did that many marches.

Asking for a friend

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Why not celebrate diversity whenever?

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

And you’re not being homophobic.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Love a good party

By *tingly ByronMan
over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"Love a good party "

Ain't no party like an S Club party......

over a year ago

Who doesn't love a good celebration?

Think of it this way, if every person who wanted to celebrate went to one place, how would they cope?

over a year ago

"Who doesn't love a good celebration?

Think of it this way, if every person who wanted to celebrate went to one place, how would they cope?"

Its roughly 3 times a week, this year alone. The most famous singers don't have tours this long and they go world wide

By *ools47Woman
over a year ago

Failsworth

Pride isn't just about celebrating being gay, it's about inclusion, diversity, love, acceptance and so much more.

It's a celebration of people being free to be themselves.

Pride works so hard to not only include the LGBTQ community but to educate those that still do not understand or accept.

If I could I would go to every single pride held

over a year ago

"Why not celebrate diversity whenever?"

Cause less is more.

over a year ago

We get it, you’re gay, some of us need to get to Greggs and not fight are way through a sea of rainbow flags !

over a year ago

"Pride isn't just about celebrating being gay, it's about inclusion, diversity, love, acceptance and so much more.

Pride works so hard to not only include the LGBTQ community but to educate those that still do not understand or accept.

If I could I would go to every single pride held "

Can we put a 'S' in LGBT for straight people since it's about inclusion?

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Why not celebrate diversity whenever?

Cause less is more."

making up for lost opportunity

over a year ago

"Pride isn't just about celebrating being gay, it's about inclusion, diversity, love, acceptance and so much more.

Can we put a 'S' in LGBT for straight people since it's about inclusion?"

Don’t be so silly! Straight people don’t count

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Straight

Lesbian

Undecided

Gay

By *ools47Woman
over a year ago

Failsworth

Can we put a 'S' in LGBT for straight people since it's about inclusion?"

Sure as soon as being straight is outlawed and straight people are persecuted just for being themselves.

over a year ago

Sure as soon as being straight is outlawed and straight people are persecuted just for being themselves."

Is being gay outlawed in Britain? I didn't know that

over a year ago

LGBTFS. Fab-straight

So what anyway? Why shouldn't people have 160+ parties if they feel like it?

over a year ago

Sure as soon as being straight is outlawed and straight people are persecuted just for being themselves.

Is being gay outlawed in Britain? I didn't know that"

It was until the 60’s. Look up what happened to Alan Turing, and he was a war hero.

over a year ago

"But how many gay prides do we actually need?

Don't get me wrong, I've been to a couple and they're a good laugh, but I don't think Martin Luther King did that many marches.

Asking for a friend "

So why do you think that there are too many? (And i know that you don;t explicitly say that, but the implication in your post is that there are too many)

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Think of it this way, if every person who wanted to celebrate went to one place, how would they cope?

Its roughly 3 times a week, this year alone. The most famous singers don't have tours this long and they go world wide "

Cool & The Gang loved a good celebration

By *woyoungbunsCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

"It's roughly three times a week"

There's one in every city. It makes no sense to then divide that by the number of days in the year.

I could equally find all the bonfire night displays and declare that the UK has "4 bonfire nights a week! How do we get anything else done?"

By *ools47Woman
over a year ago

Failsworth

It was, certainly in my lifetime. In some countries it still faces the death penalty. Until the world is inclusive then long may pride remain.

over a year ago

Robin Hood and his 'merry men'

over a year ago

Is being gay outlawed in Britain? I didn't know thatRobin Hood and his 'merry men' "

It all makes sense now

over a year ago

If I could I would go to every single pride held "

over a year ago

Thank goodness the football's finished. There have been so many England flags and rainbow flags, I wasn't sure whether it was coming home or coming out.

over a year ago

""It's roughly three times a week"

There's one in every city. It makes no sense to then divide that by the number of days in the year.

I could equally find all the bonfire night displays and declare that the UK has "4 bonfire nights a week! How do we get anything else done?""

Swing and a miss.

If you Google gay pride calendar 2018 you'll see it's almost right through the year. Mainly in summer so yea '3 times a week' isn't accurate but they're not all on one day

over a year ago

Asking for a friend

So why do you think that there are too many? (And i know that you don;t explicitly say that, but the implication in your post is that there are too many)"

Don't try and stir the pot and look for hidden meanings.

I'm saying way so many, no there is too many

over a year ago

It was until the 60’s. Look up what happened to Alan Turing, and he was a war hero."

And consider some of the global pride events. Pride Uganda where being gay is punishable by life imprisonment or death is the most extreme example but there are others too.

over a year ago

It was, certainly in my lifetime. In some countries it still faces the death penalty. Until the world is inclusive then long may pride remain."

Not now it isnt and not here

over a year ago

Its roughly 3 times a week, this year alone. The most famous singers don't have tours this long and they go world wide "

Maybe you can campaign for a special day and make it a bank holiday?

By *ighland gentlemanMan
over a year ago

Ardgay

It was until the 60’s. Look up what happened to Alan Turing, and he was a war hero."

80s in Scotland

By *woyoungbunsCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

"Swing and a miss.

If you Google gay pride calendar 2018 you'll see it's almost right through the year. Mainly in summer so yea '3 times a week' isn't accurate but they're not all on one day "

Googled gay pride calendar 2018. As I said, they're all in different places Every major town has a pride event, as you'd expect.

over a year ago

Its roughly 3 times a week, this year alone. The most famous singers don't have tours this long and they go world wide

Maybe you can campaign for a special day and make it a bank holiday?"

That's how days many Martin Luthor King got, so why not

over a year ago

Asking for a friend

So why do you think that there are too many? (And i know that you don;t explicitly say that, but the implication in your post is that there are too many)

I'm saying way so many, no there is too many "

Then why are you constantly comment on the number of them? And commenting that there is "1 every 3 days"?

Would you like to see more or less?

over a year ago

"Swing and a miss.

If you Google gay pride calendar 2018 you'll see it's almost right through the year. Mainly in summer so yea '3 times a week' isn't accurate but they're not all on one day

Googled gay pride calendar 2018. As I said, they're all in different places Every major town has a pride event, as you'd expect."

Ok. Also on different dates, So we're both right

over a year ago

It was, certainly in my lifetime. In some countries it still faces the death penalty. Until the world is inclusive then long may pride remain.

Not now it isnt and not here"

We live in a global community, what we do in this country has an effect beyond our own borders whether we see it or not.

As to why so many, it's because a lot of people support and enjoy them.

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan
over a year ago

"We get it, you’re gay, some of us need to get to Greggs and not fight are way through a sea of rainbow flags !"

The same with marathons, A 20 minute car ride takes me 40 minutes plus due to road closures, Run around the bloody park and get off the roads I'm trying to get to my mys for my Sunday dinner

over a year ago

Not now it isnt and not here"

People still get murdered in Britain for being gay though

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan
over a year ago

ps. I'm joking they help to raise money

and I don't leave the house when I know they have taken over the roads

over a year ago

Asking for a friend

I'm saying way so many, no there is too many

Then why are you constantly comment on the number of them? And commenting that there is "1 every 3 days"?

Would you like to see more or less?"

I don't think twice is constantly.

over a year ago

We live in a global community, what we do in this country has an effect beyond our own borders whether we see it or not.

As to why so many, it's because a lot of people support and enjoy them. "

An educated answer. Thank you for answering

By *iss.HoneyWoman
over a year ago

Babe it's ok if you can't make them all

By *iss.HoneyWoman
over a year ago

As to why so many, it's because a lot of people support and enjoy them. "

I enjoy and support puffins. They are dying out.

By *y Favorite PornstarCouple
over a year ago

Basingstoke

"

It does but I'm not sure it has the positive effect you imply. I'm just saying that matching through streets isn't really a way to change hearts and minds. It's a very aggressive way of expressing something when perceived by people who disagree.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"Babe it's ok if you can't make them all "

over a year ago

Serious question though.

Gay pride is about inclusion and being seen as equal and be treated as equals (correct me if I'm wrong).

So if there is a guy in a town centre who is homophobic and sees thousands of people marching in the name of LGBT, is he going to change his mind? His sexuality is excluded from the movement name.

Why not have a 'equality parade' where everyone can get involved. We are one race after all

over a year ago

It does but I'm not sure it has the positive effect you imply. I'm just saying that matching through streets isn't really a way to change hearts and minds. It's a very aggressive way of expressing something when perceived by people who disagree. "

Would you have said the same about civil rights rallies?

over a year ago

"Babe it's ok if you can't make them all "

Haha gay jokes, good one

over a year ago

"Thank goodness the football's finished. There have been so many England flags and rainbow flags, I wasn't sure whether it was coming home or coming out. "

Brilliant

over a year ago

"Who doesn't love a good celebration?"

It'a National Lib day tomorrow.

over a year ago

It'a National Lib day tomorrow."

How very dare they. Burn all books!

By *ust ClareTV/TS
over a year ago

Settlewick!

Straight

Lesbian

Undecided

Gay

Bisexual

Asexual

Transexual

Everyone

So, who's NOT going to SLUGBATE this year?

over a year ago

"Serious question though.

Gay pride is about inclusion and being seen as equal and be treated as equals (correct me if I'm wrong).

So if there is a guy in a town centre who is homophobic and sees thousands of people marching in the name of LGBT, is he going to change his mind? His sexuality is excluded from the movement name.

Why not have a 'equality parade' where everyone can get involved. We are one race after all"

I think it's a good idea.

over a year ago

Basingstoke

It does but I'm not sure it has the positive effect you imply. I'm just saying that matching through streets isn't really a way to change hearts and minds. It's a very aggressive way of expressing something when perceived by people who disagree.

Would you have said the same about civil rights rallies? "

Yes. I'm not trying to tell you that pride is wrong or the strategy is wrong, I'm just giving different perspectives on how different people will take it. I'm just saying that in this country and most of 'the West', the legal battle and battle for hearts and minds is won. Hence why gay marriage votes weren't even close in most countries, even conservative ones like Ireland. But when people in countries like Saudi Arabia see pride, it just reinforces the view that if you give an inch then they take a mile. Now you could also say that pride gives hope to the gay Saudi population too. So there's no perfect answer.

over a year ago

Why not have a 'equality parade' where everyone can get involved. We are one race after all

I think it's a good idea. "

There is something of that type, but I don't know how well it's taking off. Possibly it is too generally all-inclusive for a lot of people to get a handle on it.

By *loswingersCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

Why not have a 'equality parade' where everyone can get involved. We are one race after all"

It won’t happen , and the reason is that it isn’t hip to celebrate being straight .

So kids growing up will see no end of gay pride marches and think , well that seems pretty cool , and we will see future generations with less and less straight people .

At least that’s one possibility I guess .

Or you could say they would have been gay anyway , and the pride marches just make it easier to come out .

I really don’t know , but as another poster said , I remember when it was illegal to be a gay man in the UK , and I think it was illegal to give or take it up the shitter until 1967 .

We’ve come a long way since then , and it won’t be long before straight people will be the minority

over a year ago

There is something of that type, but I don't know how well it's taking off. Possibly it is too generally all-inclusive for a lot of people to get a handle on it."

I wonder if it was totally all inclusive it would kind of lose the point. It would be like any high street on market day.

over a year ago

It won’t happen , and the reason is that it isn’t hip to celebrate being straight .

So kids growing up will see no end of gay pride marches and think , well that seems pretty cool , and we will see future generations with less and less straight people .

At least that’s one possibility I guess .

Or you could say they would have been gay anyway , and the pride marches just make it easier to come out .

I really don’t know , but as another poster said , I remember when it was illegal to be a gay man in the UK , and I think it was illegal to give or take it up the shitter until 1967 .

We’ve come a long way since then , and it won’t be long before straight people will be the minority "

Maybe straight people are already the minority. Maybe the majority of people are shades of gay/ bi etc and there's actually only very few 100% straight people.

over a year ago

Given that over 1 million people in the UK identified as lgbt in 2016, which probably is a gross under representation of the truth, we're all for it.

The 162 pride events are all over the country and list are quite small. Only a small number of them are massive pride events, such as London, Manchester and Brighton.

Besides, we get to see Britney Spears, with so great support acts, for £25 each!

over a year ago

There is something of that type, but I don't know how well it's taking off. Possibly it is too generally all-inclusive for a lot of people to get a handle on it.

I wonder if it was totally all inclusive it would kind of lose the point. It would be like any high street on market day. "

The idea was for people to organise local events to celebrate diversity of cultures and beliefs etc etc.

But it was such a vague thing that I can't find the right search terms to track it down and share a link

By *dsindyTV/TS
over a year ago

East Lancashire

163 events in the year? That's one every 2 days roughly. So somewhere in the United Kingdom there is an event, then a rest day, then an event, etc. Now, how many town/city/metropolitan areas are there? Thousands I would think. So really not that many events per population area as it seems. The are just well advertised.

over a year ago

"163 events in the year? That's one every 2 days roughly. So somewhere in the United Kingdom there is an event, then a rest day, then an event, etc. Now, how many town/city/metropolitan areas are there? Thousands I would think. So really not that many events per population area as it seems. The are just well advertised."

You can't say it's 2 a day. Something to do with bonfire night. I'm not really sure

over a year ago

It's not 2 a day or even 2 every other day. A lot happen on the same date, i.e, at weekends of which there are only +/- 52 a year, for a start.

Kind of like the football season really. I can't for the life of me understand why so people want to throng the city regularly because of some dumb sport, but each to their own

over a year ago

Basingstoke

"It's not 2 a day or even 2 every other day. A lot happen on the same date, i.e, at weekends of which there are only +/- 52 a year, for a start.

Kind of like the football season really. I can't for the life of me understand why so people want to throng the city regularly because of some dumb sport, but each to their own"

We all like a bit of tribalism now and then

over a year ago

"It's not 2 a day or even 2 every other day. A lot happen on the same date, i.e, at weekends of which there are only +/- 52 a year, for a start.

Kind of like the football season really. I can't for the life of me understand why so people want to throng the city regularly because of some dumb sport, but each to their own

We all like a bit of tribalism now and then "

Absolutely : )

By *lbert_shlossedMan
over a year ago

Manchester

It was, certainly in my lifetime. In some countries it still faces the death penalty. Until the world is inclusive then long may pride remain."

It wasn't, unless your lying about your age?.

Don't panic, that's not illegal either

Post new Message to Thread